Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

MrJacobs posted:

The port is still awful with it. It does however, make it playable and extremely fun.

Just wanna agree strongly with both parts of this quote. It is undoubtedly one of the worst - if not THE worst - ports I've ever played even with the Gentlemen of the Row mod... but the game itself is incredibly good, amazingly fun and one hell of a ride. SR3 is also a fun game, and a very good port, but I wish it could have been more like SR2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
While I'm waiting for September 17th, I've been playing IV and the episodes again lately on the 360 and I forgot how much fun this game is. I'm looking for people to hook up with for multiplayer, my XBL handle is PopeCorkytheIX

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
Just got Vice City and San Andreas from the Amazon sale, any good mods or updates?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm on PS3 and toward the end of GTA IV. Okay game, not nearly as memorable as GTA:SA.

I just finished the mission where I killed darko, saved, and then when I came back this evening, spent an hour trying to get into the next mission.

That mission never showed up on the map or in my phone. Is there something I can do to fix this hang up? Tried to complete restart from XMB. That didn't help. :-(

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000

LaserWash posted:

I'm on PS3 and toward the end of GTA IV. Okay game, not nearly as memorable as GTA:SA.

I just finished the mission where I killed darko, saved, and then when I came back this evening, spent an hour trying to get into the next mission.

That mission never showed up on the map or in my phone. Is there something I can do to fix this hang up? Tried to complete restart from XMB. That didn't help. :-(

Pegorino should give you a call at some point. Make sure the phone is not set to ignore maybe?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Yeah, I wasn't getting the call. (I got a text from Ray that said that we were meeting at Palagrino's house, but never got the call.)

I've kinda got it in my head now that I need I go back and do the "living and dying" car chase scene with the Feds again, from one of my old saves. I kinda accidentally ran over darko with a Mack truck as I was leaving the airport so I guess I can undo that mistake.

That first one wasn't easy. That stupid van tips over any time any one of the three of us in the van farts.

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Mar 6, 2013

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the PS2 versions of the GTAIII era games. The PC ports always felt janky to me despite the better graphics.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
The Xbox 1 versions are better than the PS2 versions in every way, particularly for the graphics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Starhawk64 posted:

Maybe I'm in the minority but I prefer the PS2 versions of the GTAIII era games. The PC ports always felt janky to me despite the better graphics.

Use a gamepad and your argument goes right out the window :colbert:

Also, create your own radio station! Come on, man. That was tons of fun.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Starhawk64 posted:

"better graphics" becomes a huge understatement once you start throwing the player-made car models in the game. I remember zooming around in a Subaru STI that made the game seem amazing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjdXAbQ11Yo

Here's an video of why the Xbox 1 versions of the games were a lot better than the PS2 versions.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Install Gentoo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjdXAbQ11Yo

Here's an video of why the Xbox 1 versions of the games were a lot better than the PS2 versions.

I got the Xbox Originals version from XBL so I could play it on my 360, and I didn't like it as much as the PC version. The audio would drop out at random times and there were other weird glitches that I didn't have with the PC version. Still beat it even though it was like that, though.

But obviously they were both better than the PS2 version. I watched a video of someone playing the PS2 version about a year ago, and it had been so long since I'd played it on PS2 that I'd forgotten how orange that version is :barf:

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
I'm glad this thread is here because I need to vent a bit. I've had San Andreas (PS2) for years, and a few days ago I decided to finally play it. I'm surprised at how much I'm struggling, considering Vice City and III are some of my favorite games ever and I'm really good at them (not that they're super-challenging).

The driving in SA feels bad. Is this related to the skills progression thing? Likewise, I kept falling off my bicycle in the very early missions, until it said I had leveled up and therefore would fall off less. Are they loving serious? I swear, I have been paying attention to all the little prompts but I just don't "get" the game. Do I have to level up my guns, too? Is that why I'm getting slaughtered in every mission that involves gunplay? When I think GTA I think of games you can pick up at any time in the story, and have lots of fun. But I'm feeling like SA wants me to grind my character/skills and will punish me if I don't do so, is this accurate?

When I push the gun button, half the time CJ looks directly BEHIND himself, so not only do I miss out on the autotarget but I have to swing the slow-rear end camera around back in front of CJ so I can free-aim at the actual targets. Why on earth? Also, the camera when I'm in the car is terrible; I can't figure out if it's just "lazy" or if the camera lingers because it looks more ~cinematic~. I find myself tapping the rearview mirror constantly whenever I'm in the car because when you release the two buttons pressed for rearview, it resets the camera to be above and behind the car, where it should be.

This post is way too long, and I don't want to keep whining about the game but so much of it seems jank and it's very weird for me to be so terrible at it, coming from VC and III (both of which I have played in the past few years, so it's not just the nostalgia talking).

Currently I'm stuck on the Big Smoke mission with the Russians, and before that it took me 20 tries to beat the Big Smoke mission where you shoot at the train. I can't figure out if a) the missions are just designed horribly with almost nonexistent margin for error, b) I'm missing something obvious like "grind before your do the story, hurr" or c) I just plain suck at vidya. Pretty sure it's still really early in the game, story-wise, right? I feel like I don't have a prayer of beating this. Yes the cheats are fun but I never NEEDED them before in a GTA game. :qq: P.S. how do you turn off cheats because I put on a bunch of them and ran around super-punching for about an hour but now I'm bored.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

lady blue shanghai posted:

P.S. how do you turn off cheats because I put on a bunch of them and ran around super-punching for about an hour but now I'm bored.

Put them in again or reload.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.

I'm glad this thread is here because I need to vent a bit. I've had San Andreas (PS2) for years, and a few days ago I decided to finally play it. I'm surprised at how much I'm struggling, considering Vice City and III are some of my favorite games ever and I'm really good at them (not that they're super-challenging).

The driving in SA feels bad. Is this related to the skills progression thing? Likewise, I kept falling off my bicycle in the very early missions, until it said I had leveled up and therefore would fall off less. Are they loving serious? I swear, I have been paying attention to all the little prompts but I just don't "get" the game. Do I have to level up my guns, too? Is that why I'm getting slaughtered in every mission that involves gunplay? When I think GTA I think of games you can pick up at any time in the story, and have lots of fun. But I'm feeling like SA wants me to grind my character/skills and will punish me if I don't do so, is this accurate?

When I push the gun button, half the time CJ looks directly BEHIND himself, so not only do I miss out on the autotarget but I have to swing the slow-rear end camera around back in front of CJ so I can free-aim at the actual targets. Why on earth? Also, the camera when I'm in the car is terrible; I can't figure out if it's just "lazy" or if the camera lingers because it looks more ~cinematic~. I find myself tapping the rearview mirror constantly whenever I'm in the car because when you release the two buttons pressed for rearview, it resets the camera to be above and behind the car, where it should be.

This post is way too long, and I don't want to keep whining about the game but so much of it seems jank and it's very weird for me to be so terrible at it, coming from VC and III (both of which I have played in the past few years, so it's not just the nostalgia talking).

Currently I'm stuck on the Big Smoke mission with the Russians, and before that it took me 20 tries to beat the Big Smoke mission where you shoot at the train. I can't figure out if a) the missions are just designed horribly with almost nonexistent margin for error, b) I'm missing something obvious like "grind before your do the story, hurr" or c) I just plain suck at vidya. Pretty sure it's still really early in the game, story-wise, right? I feel like I don't have a prayer of beating this. Yes the cheats are fun but I never NEEDED them before in a GTA game. :qq: P.S. how do you turn off cheats because I put on a bunch of them and ran around super-punching for about an hour but now I'm bored.

The driving in SA is significantly more complex compared to vice city and gta 3. Use your handbrake more and place more emphasis on getting a good car to drive because they don't turn on a dime anymore. And if you think the driving in SA is hard or bikes are bad, don't even think about playing GTA 4, lol. As for the guns, I personally didn't have that problem at all because I played on PC which meant I could headshot everyone with ease using mouse freeaim, so the starting pistol was as deadly as anything else. Headshots do count in this game and aiming at gas tanks is important as well for killing gang members exiting their cars or destroying their cover. The only time you will be literally forced to grind some stupid skill to complete a mission is this one part where you need to grind your swimming skill up so you can do a mission which pissed me off like facrazy. Anyway, you gain skill levels about at the same rate which you acclimate to the game, and it's not too bad a learning curve from the past games, but it seems pretty steep because the cars finally have some physical properties behind them, the sports cars are obviously much easier to drive, namely the infernus, I also love the sabre gt, the SULTAN (suuuuper easy to drive, pretty fast and looks cool to boot.) The lowriders are gonna be your most physics-y things to deal with. Bikes (the pedal kind) are a skill unto themselves but are really fun if you just play around with them, practice different things like wheelies and stoppies and beating your previous times, and jumping over cars, your bike skill will level up pretty fast if you do that.

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
Alright, if that's the way the cars are in SA I'll just have to get used to it. The handling doesn't bother me nearly as much as the camera. CJ aiming behind his back is just dumb though, wish I could figur out why that's happening.

I do have GTA4, but it's in my backlog and I already had tempered expectations so hopefully that game will be fine when I eventually get to it ;).

I didn't know about shooting the gas tanks, so thanks a ton for that.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If nothing else you'll learn to love how skilling up makes you stick to motorbikes so well. Having played SA first I could never go back to VC or onto IV's bikes due to how easy it was to fall.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

and before that it took me 20 tries to beat the Big Smoke mission where you shoot at the train
That's entirely within expectations though.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
It took me two times :colbert:

It's pretty clear to see that Big Smoke's bullets are hitting the train and not the guys on top, unless you stick as far to the right of the train as possible (or is it the left? I forget.)

HotCheetoChallenge
Jun 17, 2012

iloveyouiloveyouiloveyou
^^^ You're right, and I adjusted for that, still the last guy standing would never die in time. Even when I finally beat it, I must have been within a fraction of a second of losing because I was riiiight at the end of the train's path, where it triggers failure.

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's entirely within expectations though.

Well that's the thing, I can't remember failing any single mission in GTA 3 or VC more than 5 times, certainly not more than ten times! But yeah, expectations are adjusted now. I guess SA is just gonna be the hard one for me.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Those missions are kinda the hardest in the game, honestly. The mechanics for those jobs are kinda wonky, you rely a lot on NPC AI which sucks, and you don't have the tools yet to quickly destroy things, like rocket launchers and assault rifles. The start of the game is kinda weak really. Tip: don't spend time on taking over territory when the option unlocks at first, unless you really like doing it all over again later.

The missions in the next parts of the game are more varied and fun and easier/more fair (with one exception, gently caress you zero!). Lots of people have trouble with the airfield missions, but I found it not too difficult, even using keyboard+mouse.

As for grinding: It's not needed, but it's nice sometimes. You can safely ignore all the stats except hunger, so stuff a burger in your face every hour or so. If you are stuck on a mission because you don't have powerful guns, or your health is too low, or you can't sprint long enough: you can do the side-missions to upgrade poo poo and gain stuff. Spray tags, do taxi/cop/ambulance/firefighter missions, etc. I found it nice diversions when a mission was kicking my rear end.

Last tip: If you go behind Sweet's house in grove street, underneath the bridge in the storm drain there's a Micro-smg pickup. I used that one a lot during the first part of the game.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
There's also a set of armor down under the other bridge, a gun on top of sweet's place and brass knuckles under the overpass. If you take the time to look around Grove Street its easy to stock up on everything you need prior to doing an early mission.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

You can also find a free MP5 on the roof of the motel near the place you started the game. There's one near Unity Station, too, in the enclosed area near the train tracks. And there's an AK and a sawn-off shotgun in the movie studio downtown. These make the game way easier, and I always make a beeline for them right after the start of the game.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah if having to eat gets on your nerves, go and eat four of the largest non-salad meals at once and that should hold CJ over for a few real-world hours. More than six and he pukes though. Christ I'd love to see the minutes of that design team meeting. This whole stats idea sounded ridiculous before the game came out, proved to work better than expected once the game was out, but now in hindsight it's gone right back around to ludicrous again.

I wonder what GTA V's gonna have as the equivalent of San Andreas' stats and IV's relationships. Hopefully not the character switching itself.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
A while ago I got the GTA4 complete pack from steam, played a bit of gay tony and promptly completely forgot about it. Some time later I found a guide somewhere that someone had made that described how the game and the episodes interacted with each other, and in which order to play each of each game's missions so they made a coherent story as a whole (as in, play the first mission in GTA4, then play the first 2 in lost and damned).

I have since then lost said bookmark, and haven't been able to find it. Does anybody know what I'm talking about/have a link?

And finally, any "must have" mods for the games? Or is vanilla good enough? Cheers.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=430301 Here you go. Also: vanilla is fine in my opinion.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samopsa posted:

http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=430301 Here you go. Also: vanilla is fine in my opinion.

Ah, brilliant, that was exactly it; I was searching for "trilogy" instead of "trinity" and couldn't find it. I'll give it a try and see if this time it clicks for me.

Cheers.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

They're all 720p. Pretty much all console games to date are 720p. Hmmm.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

GTA5 confirmed for consoles you heard it here first.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

SEKCobra posted:

To be fair I thought consoles were a little below 720p and upscaled?

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

wa27 posted:

GTA5 confirmed for consoles you heard it here first.

Nah it just makes we wonder if there's a reason they are releasing the screenshots in 720p.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

SEKCobra posted:

Nah it just makes we wonder if there's a reason they are releasing the screenshots in 720p.

I dunno, why did they release GTA4 screenshots in 720p?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Dave posted:

To be fair I thought consoles were a little below 720p and upscaled?

They are. Most 360 and PS3 games render at somewhere around 888x500 to 1024x600 natively, and then get upscaled by dedicated hardware in the console to 1280x720 or 1920x1080 for your TV.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Probably 720 screenshots because it's a good compromise across many screen resolutions, doesn't table break, and is still small enough to hide minor flaws.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Aww, looks like they are keeping a grainy filter on then. But then I assume they already all but confirmed that awhile ago. I hope they give you a menu option to turn it down/off, so many people complained about that last time, after all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

^^^ You're right, and I adjusted for that, still the last guy standing would never die in time. Even when I finally beat it, I must have been within a fraction of a second of losing because I was riiiight at the end of the train's path, where it triggers failure.

Well that's the thing, I can't remember failing any single mission in GTA 3 or VC more than 5 times, certainly not more than ten times! But yeah, expectations are adjusted now. I guess SA is just gonna be the hard one for me.

I played SA (PC version) for the first time last year. It gets a bit easier. The start of the game was pretty hard and ridiculous. Once a significant thing happens and you're in a new landmass, things get interesting. The variety of characters, personalities, and gameplay opens up. Difficulty drops a bit too, except a few certain missions from Zero. (I was able to beat the game without finishing his infamous Supply Lines mission).

Edmond Dantes posted:

Ah, brilliant, that was exactly it; I was searching for "trilogy" instead of "trinity" and couldn't find it. I'll give it a try and see if this time it clicks for me.

Cheers.
Haha this is pretty sick. I might try this out next time I go on my GTA binge.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

Aww, looks like they are keeping a grainy filter on then. But then I assume they already all but confirmed that awhile ago. I hope they give you a menu option to turn it down/off, so many people complained about that last time, after all.

Eh, they've certainly dialed it back a whole lot. It doesn't look like a watercolor painting this time.

For reference, here's some GTA4 pre-release shots:
http://www.gtagaming.com/images/gtaiv/screenshots/125.jpg
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/screens/1280/80.jpg
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/screens/1280/69.jpg
http://www.rockstargames.com/IV/screens/1280/59.jpg

And I always thought GTA4 looked a lot better motion than in screenshots.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I really wish there was more of the Head Radio music from GTA III. It's just so good, but only 21 minutes long.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Avocados posted:

I played SA (PC version) for the first time last year. It gets a bit easier. The start of the game was pretty hard and ridiculous. Once a significant thing happens and you're in a new landmass, things get interesting. The variety of characters, personalities, and gameplay opens up. Difficulty drops a bit too, except a few certain missions from Zero. (I was able to beat the game without finishing his infamous Supply Lines mission).

Honestly, the more time passes the more I appreciate the Los Santos portions of San Andreas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Install Gentoo posted:

I really wish there was more of the Head Radio music from GTA III. It's just so good, but only 21 minutes long.

The Head Radio and Lips 106 stations from LCS are terrific. Not the same, but excellent nonetheless. I've also listened to the LCS RISE FM mix a bunch of times - I want a regular weekly show from Boy Sanchez.

• Locked thread