Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

My favourite was having to iron the undershirts into the square and then having to iron the creases out of them when we had PT. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
That's confusing because a couple of years ago we literally never had to iron our PT shirts. And then we got to our IETs and were told we had to iron creases into our PT shirt arms just like at Kapooka! :confused: Maybe it's a company-specific thing? I think poo poo just changes there based on how much free time they have versus how much they are supposed to have.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

I'm no turkey-ass doctor, I'm a Turkey ASS Doctor!
Dare I ask about Smiley Face Socks?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

CHITTYBAR posted:

Dare I ask about Smiley Face Socks?

Your socks have to rolled up in a specific fashion for them to be in inspection order. When done correctly, they will very vaguely resemble a smiley face, sans eyes and nose.

In regards to PT shirts - at Kapooka, I never had to iron them - either into a square in the locker, nor creases for PT. Get to IET's, and the PT Sergeant in holdies tells us to iron creases into the sleeves. Like we did at Kapooka. :confused: Evidently different companies/platoons do things differently with respect to dress. That said, this PT Sergeant is a loving champion, albeit slightly ..odd. PancakeTransmission, you'll know who I'm talking about.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

The Stygian posted:

Your socks have to rolled up in a specific fashion for them to be in inspection order. When done correctly, they will very vaguely resemble a smiley face, sans eyes and nose.

In regards to PT shirts - at Kapooka, I never had to iron them - either into a square in the locker, nor creases for PT. Get to IET's, and the PT Sergeant in holdies tells us to iron creases into the sleeves. Like we did at Kapooka. :confused: Evidently different companies/platoons do things differently with respect to dress. That said, this PT Sergeant is a loving champion, albeit slightly ..odd. PancakeTransmission, you'll know who I'm talking about.
Haha, yeah he was great. Especially when guys fresh off the bus are formed up for their first PT session. His deadpan humor never failed to amuse.

SGT: Sig Smith, why do we do PT?
:confused:: Uh... Well to keep our physical fitness up, so we can pass BFAs, SGT?
SGT: To impress the girls! Summer's coming up... <weird laugh>

izorpo
Jun 25, 2000
Lee-Enfield - Giving those bloody krauts what for since 1914.

The Stygian posted:

I still fold up every part of my uniform in the same way as we did at Kapooka. Including the socks. :(

You'll get over it.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

izorpo posted:

You'll get over it.

I LIKE IT THAT WAY

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
Hey guys, just updating on my fitness progress.

Got past 7.5 on the shuttle run the other day! Only took me several weeks of running, several months of losing 16 kilos, and neglecting my powerlifting (my gains :smith:). All I have to do now is lose a little more weight (89 kilos atm) and work on my sit ups, and I should be able to pass the physical without too much trouble.

To be honest, I thought getting to the 7.5 would be much harder than it was. I guess my previous failures were weighing too heavily.

Now I just have to figure out when to enrol. I've got one semester left, but I don't want to enrol till I have a full time job lined up first. Further, I don't quite know how my employer will react in regards to asking time off for going to Kapooka and Duntroon for a couple of weeks - especially if I'm the new guy. (At the very least, at least the Finance Officer position will compliment working in an Accounting firm).

Has anyone else been in that sort of situation? I guess the results would depend on who you work for, but I'd like to know if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
http://www.defencereservessupport.gov.au/media/7650/employerhandbook.pdf

If you have been employed full time (it doesn't seem to specify a minimum qualifying period for civilian employment), the government will pay your employer to make up for the fact that you are gone for however long. It also looks like there are payments available for casual/part time employers too, at a lesser rate.

Maybe if you mention these things in any interviews/etc - as well as giving them the appropriate brochures, it might help them agree.

But this is all based on website information, I haven't any idea on the actual workings of reservists.

quote:

The Defence Reserve Service (Protection) Act 2001 (The Act) makes it an offence for an employer to discriminate against, disadvantage, hinder or dismiss an employee or prospective employee for rendering Defence service. Protections also apply to contractors and partners and in certain circumstances to students enrolled in a course of instruction at an Australian educational institution.
(But of course they can just say they found someone else suitable :ssh: )

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jan 18, 2013

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW
sup aus bros not too many posts here just sayin hi :)

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

genderstomper58 posted:

sup aus bros not too many posts here just sayin hi :)

Hey moker, thanks for stopping by. I like your posts and your new username (BCI was pretty funny as well). Late last year in Australia there were a bunch of articles talking about whether or not we should buy NUCLEAR SUBMARINES. That made me think thought about every post you and Ket have ever made and then I felt sorry for the poor bastards that would end up on them. (Probably never going to happen though)

ASIC v Danny Bro posted:

All I have to do now is lose a little more weight (89 kilos atm) and work on my sit ups, and I should be able to pass the physical without too much trouble.

I wouldn't stress too much about the situps mate, you can have your feet held/stood on by someone else. Makes them far easier.

genderstomper58
Jan 10, 2005

by XyloJW

Dude McAwesome posted:

Hey moker, thanks for stopping by. I like your posts and your new username (BCI was pretty funny as well). Late last year in Australia there were a bunch of articles talking about whether or not we should buy NUCLEAR SUBMARINES. That made me think thought about every post you and Ket have ever made and then I felt sorry for the poor bastards that would end up on them. (Probably never going to happen though)

I wouldn't stress too much about the situps mate, you can have your feet held/stood on by someone else. Makes them far easier.

I've seen stories of Australia looking for former US submariners to work on their Collins(??) class diesel boats. Australia is supposed to be pretty cool but apparently their submarine force is quite miserable as well. But starting a nuclear submarine program would be so ridiculously expensive that hopefully it is hard enough to justify and they scrap it. Also Ket wasn't a submariner, he just worked on one welded to the pier for awhile :P

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

genderstomper58 posted:

I've seen stories of Australia looking for former US submariners to work on their Collins(??) class diesel boats. Australia is supposed to be pretty cool but apparently their submarine force is quite miserable as well. But starting a nuclear submarine program would be so ridiculously expensive that hopefully it is hard enough to justify and they scrap it. Also Ket wasn't a submariner, he just worked on one welded to the pier for awhile :P

Expensive and it would likely be political suicide for any government to actually do anything in support of funding. Nuclear anything is the most evil of things to the Australian public unfortunately - the fearmongering of resident Green groups make sure of that.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Went past HMAS Canberra yesterday on a boat.

And HMAS Newcastle is nearby as the museum ship in Williamstown.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

Got my Enlistment Day for Cav. June baby! Pumped as.

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

CHITTYBAR posted:

Got my Enlistment Day for Cav. June baby! Pumped as.

Very nice, good stuff man. You've got what is probably the best time of the year - not too hot, not too cold. It gets pretty fuckin frosty there over winter.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

That's what I thought. Got my Enlistment Package in the mail today, I take it once I send back all the paperwork then it's all final? Looks like I get a free nights kip in a motel the night before the bus trip to Wagga thanks to the ADF.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

CHITTYBAR posted:

That's what I thought. Got my Enlistment Package in the mail today, I take it once I send back all the paperwork then it's all final? Looks like I get a free nights kip in a motel the night before the bus trip to Wagga thanks to the ADF.

There will be an ancient Sergeant with you at the hotel. Probably beasting you.

Mordialloc
Apr 15, 2003

Knight of the Iron Cross

The Stygian posted:

Very nice, good stuff man. You've got what is probably the best time of the year - not too hot, not too cold. It gets pretty fuckin frosty there over winter.

Lol it gets cold down there from April through to about October. Get some merino undershirts.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

As for the sergeant, I read that we are accompanied by one. I take it once we hit the hotel we are not to leave? I figured there will be a few of us and I've not been to Melbourne before so wanted to enjoy my last night of "freedom" (Not getting drunk, just wondering around).

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

CHITTYBAR posted:

As for the sergeant, I read that we are accompanied by one. I take it once we hit the hotel we are not to leave? I figured there will be a few of us and I've not been to Melbourne before so wanted to enjoy my last night of "freedom" (Not getting drunk, just wondering around).
Once you do your enlistment ceremony you can say pretty much say goodbye to your freedom :) If you plan on seeing sights, do it before then.

CHITTYBAR
Oct 1, 2010

Fair enough. I'm in a different state so sightseeing isn't possible. All good though, probably be making GBS threads my pants too much to enjoy my freedom anyway lol.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, just thought I should check here, as there is a chance I'll be trying my hand with signing up with the army sometime this year, unless a really good local job comes up for me, before/around when I finish my studies. Anyway, I've looked through the available material on the different roles in the army, and the more tech-related areas seem to be more electronics-based than setting up and maintaining computers/networks. I've completed Cert III and almost finished Cert IV in IT (Network Administration, specifically) and like working with (read: messing around with) computers and network infrastructure, so how easily do you think I'd be able to find an appropriate position?

Also, if anyone can tell me off the top of their head, (not vital, just thought I should check) when approximately does basic training typically commence? (cut-off dates for signing up too, I suppose) Is it January+June, or is it quarterly even, or? Oh and I read that the ADF 'has a long list of sporting clubs, with just about every sport you could think of.' So, does this include archery? Since I've been doing archery for about a year now, (using a recurve) and don't really fancy giving it up, so if I can continue with it, that would be a major plus.

Thanks guys

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Words about joining.

Navy: Communications Information Systems Sailor, Army: Information Systems Technician, RAAF: Communication Information Systems Controller. Those are the three roles that seem to match up with what you're after.

Intakes for Sailors and Airmen are monthly, Soldiers are weekly. Officer intakes are twice yearly (Jan/Jul) in the Navy and Army, and as required with the RAAF.

I've never seen an archery club, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there somewhere. I mean, they have shooting, snowboarding, dragon boating, distance running and a bunch of other teams so it doesn't seem ridiculous that there'd be an archery club somewhere. Though you'll be able to get involved with something like that in the local community outside work hours.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Dude McAwesome posted:

Navy: Communications Information Systems Sailor, Army: Information Systems Technician, RAAF: Communication Information Systems Controller. Those are the three roles that seem to match up with what you're after.

Intakes for Sailors and Airmen are monthly, Soldiers are weekly. Officer intakes are twice yearly (Jan/Jul) in the Navy and Army, and as required with the RAAF.

I've never seen an archery club, but that doesn't mean there isn't one out there somewhere. I mean, they have shooting, snowboarding, dragon boating, distance running and a bunch of other teams so it doesn't seem ridiculous that there'd be an archery club somewhere. Though you'll be able to get involved with something like that in the local community outside work hours.

Ah nice, guess that'll be me sorted. So - mandatory stereotypes aside - which of the branches do you ausgoons think would the best to join/most receptive? I know it's not like I'd be going into a hostile environment or anything, (heh, aside from maybe later on during deployment, but that's not what I mean!) but it's just that I'm more-or-less impartial towards all three branches and don't know which would be best to opt for, although I'm probably leaning more towards the army, as I've got a friend who's joining (plus one or two other people I know/have known are in the army - although I'm not exactly expecting to be with them/see them often/at all) who's looking to go into the telecommunications area within the army. I suppose one of the main things I want to know is; how likely is it for personal property to be stolen/vandalized? Since if I am able to bring my bow, etc. I don't really want to have anything 'go missing' or be deliberately damaged. (Although I mean, I know it's much more likely if you behave like a dickhead to other people, but I'm a normal person who doesn't)

And ok cool, I didn't realise there's dragon boating and snowboarding clubs in the army, so I guess the possibility of there being an archery club is higher than I thought, since it'd likely be considered fairly 'tame' in comparison. Oh and I forgot to ask: can you tell me what the availability of PCs that I can install games, etc. on during downtime, is? Or is it a sort of 'BYOPC' situation, for video gaming, etc? Since I ask because I've got a desktop PC, so realistically it'll have to be left behind and I don't really want to have to buy a laptop if I can avoid it. (well, I'm not anticipating I'll be in a luxury hotel the whole time - heh, if any of the time - or anything, but I'm mainly referring to when I'm in Aus, since I live in SA, far far away from Wagga Wagga, sadly, so it's not like I'll be able to just duck home on a Saturday for a gaming session or anything)

Thanks for the help! (and sorry if my post is slightly incomprehensible, as I'm lacking in sleep at the moment)

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for the help! (and sorry if my post is slightly incomprehensible, as I'm lacking in sleep at the moment)

Join the RAAF or Navy. RAAF has the best quality of life, and I've yet to meet an Airman that isn't happy with their life. Seriously, the focus on people in the Air Force is mind-blowing, so much importance is placed on the individual's happiness that it's a little bit absurd. The Navy spends a shitload of time away from home, but has the best posting locations and pay. I'm not a fan of the Army due to a string of barely literate and borderline retarded Officers and NCOs I've had to deal with, but I'm sure there are some Army dudes on here that can give a more balanced view. I guess one point in their favour would be the amount of ongoing training they do. Months of promotion courses for every rank and ECN.

People will steal your poo poo, so don't take anything valuable with you until you're settled in at your first unit, or at least have moved on from Initial Military Training to Initial Employment Training.

There will not be any PCs supplied to play video games on. After your first 80 days you may have the opportunity to put a PC in your room for your Initial Employment Training, but that's going to be shared accomodation. Once again, when you get to your first unit is probably the best time to get all that stuff (PC, bow etc.). This is all dependent on the length of your course though, if you're going to be there for 6+ months then it's definitely worthwhile having a PC to watch movies on and use the internet when you're a trainee.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Ah nice, guess that'll be me sorted. So - mandatory stereotypes aside - which of the branches do you ausgoons think would the best to join/most receptive? I know it's not like I'd be going into a hostile environment or anything, (heh, aside from maybe later on during deployment, but that's not what I mean!) but it's just that I'm more-or-less impartial towards all three branches and don't know which would be best to opt for, although I'm probably leaning more towards the army, as I've got a friend who's joining (plus one or two other people I know/have known are in the army - although I'm not exactly expecting to be with them/see them often/at all) who's looking to go into the telecommunications area within the army. I suppose one of the main things I want to know is; how likely is it for personal property to be stolen/vandalized? Since if I am able to bring my bow, etc. I don't really want to have anything 'go missing' or be deliberately damaged. (Although I mean, I know it's much more likely if you behave like a dickhead to other people, but I'm a normal person who doesn't)

And ok cool, I didn't realise there's dragon boating and snowboarding clubs in the army, so I guess the possibility of there being an archery club is higher than I thought, since it'd likely be considered fairly 'tame' in comparison. Oh and I forgot to ask: can you tell me what the availability of PCs that I can install games, etc. on during downtime, is? Or is it a sort of 'BYOPC' situation, for video gaming, etc? Since I ask because I've got a desktop PC, so realistically it'll have to be left behind and I don't really want to have to buy a laptop if I can avoid it. (well, I'm not anticipating I'll be in a luxury hotel the whole time - heh, if any of the time - or anything, but I'm mainly referring to when I'm in Aus, since I live in SA, far far away from Wagga Wagga, sadly, so it's not like I'll be able to just duck home on a Saturday for a gaming session or anything)

You won't bring any of your stuff with you when you enlist except a list of items recruiting give you.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

sos posted:

You won't bring any of your stuff with you when you enlist except a list of items recruiting give you.

Page 15 of this pdf will tell you the only poo poo you should take when you join (Soldier specific).

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Whoops, sorry, I didn't mean I was expecting I'd be able to/should bring all my stuff from the get-go; I expected to be without it all for the IET at least, but I suppose it's good to have confirmation on that! Anyway yeah, thanks for the heads-up DMcA, I think I'll have to wait until I've properly settled in before bringing items of any real value and see who I've been put with, I guess. (and from the sound of it, I should probably buy a cheapish/semi-decent laptop, since from what I've heard there is indeed ~6 months training afterwards)

And alright then, that's interesting to hear, about that the RAAF being a lot more people-focused then the other two branches, so I'll have to look into them further, for sure. (although obviously I'm very much open to other suggestions and opinions - sounds like there are certainly both pros and cons with the army from your experiences, so I suppose I should hear/read what others think of it, too)

EDIT: ^^ Alright cool, thanks for the list!

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 7, 2013

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Firstly, any certifications/qualifications you have are near irrelevant in regards to your application to join; you are basically going to be trained like you don't know what a USB port is.

In the army, the IS training after Kapooka is ~8 months long in Watsonia (a $50 cab ride NE of Melbourne). You may have the opportunity to have your stuff moved from home but this is dependent on staff, and whether you start your courses straight away. If you do, you may have to just wait till a long weekend/holiday to fly back and organise your removals. Alternatively you may be able to organise someone (if you live with your parents for example) to do the uplift and you might be able to get a few hours off to offload your stuff from the truck. Yes, this includes having your PC, car, etc. delivered to you. However I believe bow and arrows will be classed as a weapon and you will be better off leaving it behind till you get to a real unit.

You will (almost certainly) have your own Level 5 room which just means it has a kitchenette (microwave and sink), ensuite, and king single bed. Feel free to pimp it out however you want as long as it is clean and tidy. Unless something has changed, the only place on base you will be able to drink alcohol at is the boozer (not in your room). To over-simplify everything, you will basically work 7am-4pm 5 days a week with PT 3 times a week. After work you can do whatever you want (and go wherever you want) as long as you are present the next morning, sober, shaved and correctly dressed.

drat thats a lot of words to say "it's not a prison".

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PancakeTransmission posted:

Firstly, any certifications/qualifications you have are near irrelevant in regards to your application to join; you are basically going to be trained like you don't know what a USB port is.

In the army, the IS training after Kapooka is ~8 months long in Watsonia (a $50 cab ride NE of Melbourne). You may have the opportunity to have your stuff moved from home but this is dependent on staff, and whether you start your courses straight away. If you do, you may have to just wait till a long weekend/holiday to fly back and organise your removals. Alternatively you may be able to organise someone (if you live with your parents for example) to do the uplift and you might be able to get a few hours off to offload your stuff from the truck. Yes, this includes having your PC, car, etc. delivered to you. However I believe bow and arrows will be classed as a weapon and you will be better off leaving it behind till you get to a real unit.

You will (almost certainly) have your own Level 5 room which just means it has a kitchenette (microwave and sink), ensuite, and king single bed. Feel free to pimp it out however you want as long as it is clean and tidy. Unless something has changed, the only place on base you will be able to drink alcohol at is the boozer (not in your room). To over-simplify everything, you will basically work 7am-4pm 5 days a week with PT 3 times a week. After work you can do whatever you want (and go wherever you want) as long as you are present the next morning, sober, shaved and correctly dressed.

drat thats a lot of words to say "it's not a prison".

Heh, alright then, at least it'll help me (hopefully) get a grasp on at least a decent portion on what they'll train me for.

So what, if I have to wait a while before heading up to Kapooka, the chances of my stuff being moved being all organised is better, you mean? Or just that I'll have more time to organise it all myself? And eh, it won't be a lot, really, just my PC and some other smallish things, I'd say. (excluding my bow, which by the sounds of it won't be permitted - at least until I'm in a proper unit, as you said) If I need anything else (like an OS disk if I need to do a clean install, for whatever reason) I can just have one mailed over or buy it.

Also, will the aforementioned L5 room be available during IS training, or would it only be made available to me afterwards? Not a deal-breaker or anything like that, I'm just curious, more than anything. But yeah, I don't drink alcohol, (heh, subject to change, I suppose!) so the 'no booze in your room' part's no drama, either.

And thanks for the info!

EDIT: vvv Alright cool, definitely good to know

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Mar 7, 2013

sos
Dec 9, 2004
I'm pretty sure anything longer than 6 months is considered a posting so if his IETs are 8 months he will get an uplift of his pers stuff from home.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Major Isoor posted:

And thanks for the info!
sos is correct about postings afaik.
Also, before/during Kapooka (and I assume the other training establishments) you won't have any opportunity to deal with your removals, since your initial training is more important and you literally won't have time or need any of your personal effects other than what you were told to bring.

And yes, if you go to the School of Signals (which I believe services both RAAF and Army, and eventually Navy, for Signals training) you should have a L5 room.

If you don't drink alcohol, don't start just to fit in. You can still have fun and be accepted without it. Likewise with smoking.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

PancakeTransmission posted:

sos is correct about postings afaik.
Also, before/during Kapooka (and I assume the other training establishments) you won't have any opportunity to deal with your removals, since your initial training is more important and you literally won't have time or need any of your personal effects other than what you were told to bring.

And yes, if you go to the School of Signals (which I believe services both RAAF and Army, and eventually Navy, for Signals training) you should have a L5 room.

If you don't drink alcohol, don't start just to fit in. You can still have fun and be accepted without it. Likewise with smoking.

Alright yeah, makes sense. (referring to the won't-have-time-or-need bit, that is) Oh also, forgot to ask earlier; how physically intensive is the initial 80 day training/what kind of physical activities is it primarily composed of? I'm assuming I'll get told this - or at least a rough idea - when (well, technically 'if' I suppose, but at this stage it's more than likely to happen) I sign up, but I thought 'earlier is best', as I'm not likely to enlist until later this semester, at least, and I'll likely need/want to get a least somewhat fit. (well, not like I'm overweight or grossly unfit, I'm just likely not as fit as I should be, for more intense physical activity)

Also yeah, I don't plan on drinking 'socially'; (or smoking, now that you mention it) I just haven't really done much/any of either up to this point, as I have enjoyed my innards being more-or-less pristine! :D (compared to some friends and relatives, patricularly...) But yeah, I'm not really at risk of succumbing to peer pressure; 'if you enjoy what I like doing, cool. If not, don't try to thrust your habits upon me' generally being my policy when it comes to drinking/smoking/drugs

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 8, 2013

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
People have pretty much outlined what you need to know - but I'll echo, in the Army, Information Systems Technician or geek (ECN-661), is the position you're after. IET's of about 9 months or so at DFSS in Watsonia, Melbourne - time spent here is alright-ish, I guess. Still can't wait to get out of here myself, though - it grows pretty old rather quickly.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

The Stygian posted:

People have pretty much outlined what you need to know - but I'll echo, in the Army, Information Systems Technician or geek (ECN-661), is the position you're after. IET's of about 9 months or so at DFSS in Watsonia, Melbourne - time spent here is alright-ish, I guess. Still can't wait to get out of here myself, though - it grows pretty old rather quickly.

Hmm, alright then. Well, how hands-on is the training? Would I be able to actually mess around with PCs and other gear at all, or will it mostly be reading? (which is essentially what I've been doing thus far, which has gotten a tad dull over the last few years of it - since at my TAFE it's basically "here's the coursework/textbooks, ask me if you need help and I may or may not get back to you" with the odd virtual PC thrown in) Either way, it'll probably be more exciting than what I've been doing (yeah I know it'll wear off fast - but at least it should be interesting enough to begin with!)

But anyway, how's Kapooka? As an IT student who's only real exercise is walking around a bit and archery, that's probably the part I'm most concerned about, as from what I've read on here suggests that the first couple of weeks are rough (not really specified, though; so what, lots of runs, for one thing, I take it?) before things get a little more interesting, involving learning how to not shoot the man a few metres to the left of the target! (according to the website it's a 25m range. Surely that's nothing - it sure as hell isn't anything special in archery!)

But yeah, thanks for all the info, guys! Very helpful in giving me a better grasp on what to expect

EDIT: Oh also, considering none of you have seemed to consider telecoms to be suitable for me (in comparison to IS, anyway) I was wondering how 'non-computer-based' it is, since a friend of mine - mentioned him earlier I think - signed up with that as his first preference, and he's basically in the same boat I'm in, in terms of knowledge+desire to work with computers/in IT, etc, so I'm not 100% sure if he'll enjoy that over IS for instance. (although obviously it's his choice) Also, I don't suppose the telecom guys are taught at the same place as/nearby where the IS guys get their 8 month training, by any chance?

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Mar 8, 2013

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, alright then. Well, how hands-on is the training? Would I be able to actually mess around with PCs and other gear at all, or will it mostly be reading? (which is essentially what I've been doing thus far, which has gotten a tad dull over the last few years of it - since at my TAFE it's basically "here's the coursework/textbooks, ask me if you need help and I may or may not get back to you" with the odd virtual PC thrown in) Either way, it'll probably be more exciting than what I've been doing (yeah I know it'll wear off fast - but at least it should be interesting enough to begin with!)

But anyway, how's Kapooka? As an IT student who's only real exercise is walking around a bit and archery, that's probably the part I'm most concerned about, as from what I've read on here suggests that the first couple of weeks are rough (not really specified, though; so what, lots of runs, for one thing, I take it?) before things get a little more interesting, involving learning how to not shoot the man a few metres to the left of the target! (according to the website it's a 25m range. Surely that's nothing - it sure as hell isn't anything special in archery!)

But yeah, thanks for all the info, guys! Very helpful in giving me a better grasp on what to expect

EDIT: Oh also, considering none of you have seemed to consider telecoms to be suitable for me (in comparison to IS, anyway) I was wondering how 'non-computer-based' it is, since a friend of mine - mentioned him earlier I think - signed up with that as his first preference, and he's basically in the same boat I'm in, in terms of knowledge+desire to work with computers/in IT, etc, so I'm not 100% sure if he'll enjoy that over IS for instance. (although obviously it's his choice)

How hands on? In the Geek trade, I'm honestly not sure. There will most certainly be a lot of bookwork, but there'll be practical stuff also. If you already know the field, the most painful part of IET will be the Army's approach to education in general - start from the very lowest level, and work upwards via repetition. They'll cater for the people who are only half a step above grass in the food chain, and it can quickly become frustrating. As a geek you'll generally be deploying and administrating networks pretty much from the gateway router through to the end users. Telecomms technician is a bit more hands on, although the IET is about twice the length. We deal with putting out all the line to get the networks up and going, administrating from the gateway router and WAN connectivity from there, as well as a whole lot more poo poo - in general to do with establishing and maintaining the comms, through various outlets.

To get yourself in shape for Kapooka - how old are you? If you can get the PFA entry requirements, you'll manage at Kapooka, but it may not be easy at times. You'll need 15 pushups (35 to march out), I think 30 situps with feet held (75 to march out) and 7.5 on the beep test (11:18 for a 2.4km run to march out). It's not particularly difficult. Things to focus on? Most certainly pushups and a bit of cardiovascular fitness. PT isn't the hardest part of Kapooka - the culture shock is, by far. Myself and I guess every other person who has ever been to the place will say that at the time it's difficult, but in hindsight it really was a piece of piss. It's just being bombarded with so much new stuff that it can be overwhelming.

In regards to the ranges? You'll learn to shoot on 100m, 200m and 300m ranges from a variety of stances, as well as a 25m range if it's still being taught. My understanding it they're shuffling around a lot of poo poo and so it may or may not remain. All good fun.

From earlier, you mention thieves. At DFSS you're pretty much safe if you keep your room locked. Kapooka you'll not have anything for anyone to steal, unless it's pissy little things like bits of stationery. If one ever did decide to bring a bow to DFSS, it'd probably have to be stored in the barracks armoury with other weapons - I daresay it won't fly too well with the staff if it's discovered in your room.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Alright, so I guess for the rest of the time when I'm not setting up hardware, (this is when I'm actually doing the job, that is) it'll be setting things up/fixing things more on the software-side of things? If so, that's all good - I enjoy doing all that stuff, too. And thanks for the run-down, that's given me a much better run-down than what I have read about the two than on the website!

As for your question, I'm 22yrs old, although I do look younger, (I still get asked for ID sometimes, heh) as I'm a bit short for my age, and am fairly skinny. I just looked up the ADF PFA then for any extra insight, and I found this page, which seems fairly staggered-out and doable. (Well, once I finish up/mostly finish up at TAFE this semester, anyway, as I'm there for most of the week of course) So yeah, is that really all that I should be doing in preparation, assuming I complete/pass the YOU? (I think that's what it was?) Since I'm probably thinking I should do that during the mid-semester break/before too far into term 2, so I'm hopefully aware of and don't miss any IST cut-off dates for the rest of the year, or anything.

But yeah, I know what you mean about 'teaching from the ground up' being a pain at the start, that's for sure! So what, I can't even skip some things, even if I've already gotten the qualifications for them during the last couple of years? (like completing Cisco's CCNA1 - and soon 2 - courses, for instance, if that's actually part of it?) Since from what my friend said when he went for a 'preliminary interview', (YOU, right?) he said he was told that it'll basically be doing TAFE courses, etc. on the east coast, much like what we've been doing here.

sos
Dec 9, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, so I guess for the rest of the time when I'm not setting up hardware, (this is when I'm actually doing the job, that is) it'll be setting things up/fixing things more on the software-side of things? If so, that's all good - I enjoy doing all that stuff, too. And thanks for the run-down, that's given me a much better run-down than what I have read about the two than on the website!

As for your question, I'm 22yrs old, although I do look younger, (I still get asked for ID sometimes, heh) as I'm a bit short for my age, and am fairly skinny. I just looked up the ADF PFA then for any extra insight, and I found this page, which seems fairly staggered-out and doable. (Well, once I finish up/mostly finish up at TAFE this semester, anyway, as I'm there for most of the week of course) So yeah, is that really all that I should be doing in preparation, assuming I complete/pass the YOU? (I think that's what it was?) Since I'm probably thinking I should do that during the mid-semester break/before too far into term 2, so I'm hopefully aware of and don't miss any IST cut-off dates for the rest of the year, or anything.

But yeah, I know what you mean about 'teaching from the ground up' being a pain at the start, that's for sure! So what, I can't even skip some things, even if I've already gotten the qualifications for them during the last couple of years? (like completing Cisco's CCNA1 - and soon 2 - courses, for instance, if that's actually part of it?) Since from what my friend said when he went for a 'preliminary interview', (YOU, right?) he said he was told that it'll basically be doing TAFE courses, etc. on the east coast, much like what we've been doing here.

You want to able to breeze through the PFA. It should be like a warmup for you. If you are just scraping through 15 pushups and a few situps you will struggle at Kapooka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

EDIT: Oh also, considering none of you have seemed to consider telecoms to be suitable for me (in comparison to IS, anyway) I was wondering how 'non-computer-based' it is.

Nobody here is going to talk about your suitability for any position bro, just find a job you want to do (it could be in IT, it could be anything else) and then ask a million questions about it here so we can help out. poo poo dude, I worked in recruiting for two years and you've already done more research than any of the 700 or so people I interviewed.

Major Isoor posted:

Alright, so I guess for the rest of the time when I'm not setting up hardware, (this is when I'm actually doing the job, that is) it'll be setting things up/fixing things more on the software-side of things?

Every job in the military has shitloads of downtime. Set something up, do nothing for eight hours, pack it up. Although it always seems to be that if there is work to do then the boss will think of something that needs to be done RIGHT NOW 15 minutes prior to knock off.

• Locked thread