Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Well skittles, my lovebird died in my arms and the Teflon was the only out of ordinary thing around. But if you are having no issues then I guess it's okay, just trying to keep everyone safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
I've also heard the story (one of the bird store's customers related his story to the store after the death of -all- of his birds :cry: ) about Teflon oven liners. Poor guy was in an apartment, and turned the oven on to clean. He didn't realize the complex had teflon liners in their ovens, and the immense heat from the cleaning cycle created enough fumes to kill his birds. Guy was absolutely devastated and so were the ladies at the store (since at least one of his birds were handfed by them).

I have a couple pans with Teflon, but I don't superheat them and I use exclusively bamboo utensils when I'm cooking with them.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Yeah I don't like using teflon anyway because I scratch the pans a lot and the coating will come out, but yes, it's pretty much only dangerous if you burn the lining. Just in case it's better not to use them, though.

A friend's male eclectus has taken to chasing his green cheeked conure everywhere saying HELLO and trying to regurgitate over him. Birds. :downs:

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Karma Comedian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 12, 2015

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Teflon is an issue if it overheats, which can be a bit easier to do than you think. As for avocado, only parts of it are bird unsafe, but I forget which. It's probably not worth figuring out.

And Teflon can technically kill a person from overheating but the LD50 is high enough that it would never happen from an average pan. That's also why humans can eat chocolate but other animals can't.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Slaughterhouse-Ive posted:

And Teflon can technically kill a person from overheating but the LD50 is high enough that it would never happen from an average pan. That's also why humans can eat chocolate but other animals can't.
As Lenswork and I found out from an actual Venezuelan the other day, they all feed their parrots chocolate there as treats.

My theory is the people killing their birds with chocolate is because they're feeding them something terrible like Hershey's and it's the additives killing them--in South America (where they grow cacao) it's more likely to be a very dark chocolate or roasted cocao beans.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
No, it's the same chemical that kills cats and dogs (Theobromine) and that's not an additive. Like I said, it's about the dosage. Theobromine has the potential to kill humans too, but we metabolize fast enough that a lethal dose is extremely high.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Yeah I feel like real chocolate would be worse. Hershey's is a bunch of wax with some chocolate.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

You actually shouldn't be feeding your birds apple seeds because they do in fact have arsenic in them, although the occasional accidental seed is fine. PS You shouldn't eat apple seeds either.

There are actually quite a few things that are toxic to birds because they are so small that we wouldn't even think about. Being well-informed is part of your responsibility as a bird owner, and I'd start here: http://www.avianweb.com/toxicfoods.html, as most of their stuff looks correct based on other stuff I've read. There are other various household things that are dangerous to birds, such as burning Teflon, that you should be aware of as well. Most of these will be in a parrot care book that you can get at a library.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm super seriously considering a Quaker parrot. To hell with finances, I'm missing having a little dude around doing awesome things.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

In regards to teflon-the posters above are correct, it's heating teflon above a certain temperature that is dangerous. See: PTFE toxicosis.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15&aid=2874 (This link is nice because it even provides references)

In humans, it's called polymer fume fever: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer_fume_fever

Either way definitely a real thing.

Edit: From that same site, an article about toxic plants and what specific parts and toxins are dangerous. It's an interesting read:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=15+1912&aid=2236

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 9, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Basically if you love nonstick pans get one of the water-based teflon alternatives like Ecolution.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Didn't someone's bird die because of a heater made with teflon in it? Basically, what we're getting at is that saying 'well there's a small percent of it happening' is stupid. Yeah, true, if you cook with your birds out they probably won't die, but how lovely are you going to feel that ONE time you heat the pan up too much or scratch it or something happens and your friend of 5+ years dies because of your negligence? It's not worth it to me.

Someone asked what kind of harnesses I ordered. I got two petites and one x-small (for finn's lard rear end) here I really can't recommend this site enough. I found some collapse-able travel cages and was in LOVE with them, but they were sold out. I emailed asking if they knew when/if there would be more in stock and got a really quick and sweet email apologizing for being out of stock and promising to go look at their storage center by sunday. I got an email AGAIN a few hours later saying that they found two more and were listing them and apologized for the wait. Great. Service.

SquadronROE posted:

I'm super seriously considering a Quaker parrot. To hell with finances, I'm missing having a little dude around doing awesome things.

Wasn't your wife concerned about your bird bonding to only one person? Quakers are WAY up there on the 'single person' bird list. Finn is very much like this. He isn't AGGRESSIVE toward anyone, I made sure of that, but he doesn't want to sit with anyone else really and leans toward me if I'm around and force him onto a shoulder. Just something to keep in mind!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve wears a petite Aviator, and Ohtori has a x-small. After seeing Quakers in the store the other day and comparing sizes, I'm surprised a x-small would fit a Quaker, if that's what Ohtori has. The petite was the size recommended for small conures (it says up to 110g, he is about 103g) but it got stuck on his head when I finally managed to squeeze it over, and it took ages to get it off again-I thought I would have to cut it off. Maybe 'Tori just has a wide head. :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Teflon pans are by and large terrible things you have to replace every year anyways. :) Learn to control heat and cook with oil (GWS can help), stuff sticks less and will crisp better. Plus stainless steel or cast iron you clean with a copper scouring pad because it doesn't matter and they last a lifetime.

That being said, Mindo is currently all tuckered out asleep in the crook of my wifes arm after playing with her necklace. :3:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Battle Pigeon posted:

Steve wears a petite Aviator, and Ohtori has a x-small. After seeing Quakers in the store the other day and comparing sizes, I'm surprised a x-small would fit a Quaker, if that's what Ohtori has. The petite was the size recommended for small conures (it says up to 110g, he is about 103g) but it got stuck on his head when I finally managed to squeeze it over, and it took ages to get it off again-I thought I would have to cut it off. Maybe 'Tori just has a wide head. :v:

Crap I hope he just has a huge head. They don't take returns either. I was just going by what they recommended :( Tori's a large conure though, isn't he? Their site recommends suns wear an x-small and he's bigger than a sun? Or no? I hope they fit okay aaaaa.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Amaya posted:

Crap I hope he just has a huge head. They don't take returns either. I was just going by what they recommended :( Tori's a large conure though, isn't he? Their site recommends suns wear an x-small and he's bigger than a sun? Or no? I hope they fit okay aaaaa.

Looking around on google, he's about the same length (30cm) but weighs a bit less (103g, to the 110-120g average that google tells me a Sun weighs). I've only seen baby Sun conures in person so can't say whether he was smaller or not. The Quakers we saw in the store were definitely bigger in all dimensions, though. Maybe they were just naturally big or fat from a seed diet?

I could look for a photo of him wearing the harness, or shove it over his head now, to see how much extra space there is if you like? Or put him next to a ruler for a size comparison, or something.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Amaya posted:

Didn't someone's bird die because of a heater made with teflon in it? Basically, what we're getting at is that saying 'well there's a small percent of it happening' is stupid. Yeah, true, if you cook with your birds out they probably won't die, but how lovely are you going to feel that ONE time you heat the pan up too much or scratch it or something happens and your friend of 5+ years dies because of your negligence? It's not worth it to me.

Someone asked what kind of harnesses I ordered. I got two petites and one x-small (for finn's lard rear end) here I really can't recommend this site enough. I found some collapse-able travel cages and was in LOVE with them, but they were sold out. I emailed asking if they knew when/if there would be more in stock and got a really quick and sweet email apologizing for being out of stock and promising to go look at their storage center by sunday. I got an email AGAIN a few hours later saying that they found two more and were listing them and apologized for the wait. Great. Service.

Wasn't your wife concerned about your bird bonding to only one person? Quakers are WAY up there on the 'single person' bird list. Finn is very much like this. He isn't AGGRESSIVE toward anyone, I made sure of that, but he doesn't want to sit with anyone else really and leans toward me if I'm around and force him onto a shoulder. Just something to keep in mind!

Yeah, she was. You're absolutely right, too. I'm just getting impatient waiting fora new crop of birdies to hatch. I really need to stop going to bird shops.

Also, is it normal for Cockatoos (namely Umbrella Cockatoos) to be super affectionate and cuddly? I've met a couple of them in stores, and both were absolutely okay with being stroked and offered up itchy spots to be scratched.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Yeah cockatoos are extremely cuddly and stuff. The downside is that it doesn't take much for them go completely bonkers and start plucking themselves.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Just about every member of Cacatuidae I've met, regardless of species, has been super cuddly as a baby. The hell comes after they've passed through adolescence and turn from silent cuddle sluts into shrieking (dear god are they loud) and biting terrors, though they still tend to require a lot of attention and affection.

It's at this point which point ignorant owners who weren't expecting it and are unprepared for it leave the bird locked in the cage. The bird then becomes neurotic from being ignored and becomes even more of a noise and aggression problem, perpetuating the cycle, and may begin plucking feathers which can lead owners to hide them away (the absolute worst thing for them).

In cases with owners that do know what they're getting themselves into and can handle and socialize the bird through the difficult period, the animal usually comes out a little noisier, a little bitier, but still absolutely in love with cuddling and scratches, and will usually hang out with other people well.

To bring this back to your question, pet store cockatoos are often (but not always) the prepubescent birds of a year or two old, when they're at their most cuddly and adorable. But yes, in general all of the cockatoo species love being scratched, cuddled, and loved on, to the point that some people call them "velcro birds". This extends to cockatiels, which are genus Nymphicus but in the same family. :derptiel:

EDIT: Sorry if it sounds like I was aggressive or attacking you, that wasn't my intent. I just love Cockatoos so much, a love I share with my dad. He nearly got one when we were first looking at birds, and it would have ended in disaster and bitterness, and ruined a lovely, helpless animal, were it not for some random person giving a warning not dissimilar from the above. For that reason I tend to put the terror in anyone that expresses interest in them just so they don't make the mistake we almost made out of ignorance, and pay it forward.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 9, 2013

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

That's really interesting, and no worries. I didn't think you were attacking, just explaining. I love how cuddly they are, but am in no way leaning towards getting one. I simply wouldn't be a good home for that bird, considering the level of attention they need as they mature. I do love interacting with them at pet stores though. It makes me happy that they like to cuddle.

Interesting about cockatiels too. My 'tiel was starting to get a little cuddly, nuzzling under my ear.. but he would then seemingly get freaked out that there was an ear there and would start nipping it. Probably he just wanted some more attention or something. Dunno. He was really beak-y.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
My dad's cockatiel does that. It's like they get really relaxed and comfortable, and the slightest thing that disturbs that calm results in terrible beaky fury. :3:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Battle Pigeon posted:

I could look for a photo of him wearing the harness, or shove it over his head now, to see how much extra space there is if you like? Or put him next to a ruler for a size comparison, or something.

That's okay, I can't un-order them now, you know? I'm sure even if they're too small I could art them into fitting properly, I'm not awful with a needle and thread. I really appreciate the help though!

I've always wanted a big bird but I know I'd never be able to take care of one. I've never handled a large bird either. I guess I just...really want to hold a macaw or cockatoo or something!

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Came home and Tango was resting on top of the cage. Apparently, he figured out how to open the cage door. Soon as he saw the towel, he took off.

After a bit of a chase, I managed to lure him back into the cage with some millet, but not before taking some pictures. Those wings are soooo getting clipped.

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Quit moeing around like that, uguu~?
Last week I ordered the tiels a Tidy Seed Feeder off Dr. Foster and Smith's. It finally arrived today and when I went to set it up, I found it's too small for them, even though I got the small one which is recommended for cockatiels. I'm watching videos online and it seems the other tiels using it don't have any problems. Here's one of the videos as an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOb0vCFdUuo

Are Cinni and Pumpkin just very tall for their kind? The tiel in the video seems like she has a lot of space, but my tiels just get all squished up in there and they had trouble reaching the food.

I'm hesitant to exchange it because the next and only size up costs four times as much as the small and may be too large for them. Are there any similar alternatives? I just want something that will prevent them from flinging food out the cage and me having to vacuum daily.

Edit: The large is definitely too large:

BigGayLogan fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 10, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

DarkHorse posted:

Just about every member of Cacatuidae I've met, regardless of species, has been super cuddly as a baby. The hell comes after they've passed through adolescence and turn from silent cuddle sluts into shrieking (dear god are they loud) and biting terrors, though they still tend to require a lot of attention and affection.

It's at this point which point ignorant owners who weren't expecting it and are unprepared for it leave the bird locked in the cage. The bird then becomes neurotic from being ignored and becomes even more of a noise and aggression problem, perpetuating the cycle, and may begin plucking feathers which can lead owners to hide them away (the absolute worst thing for them).

In cases with owners that do know what they're getting themselves into and can handle and socialize the bird through the difficult period, the animal usually comes out a little noisier, a little bitier, but still absolutely in love with cuddling and scratches, and will usually hang out with other people well.

To bring this back to your question, pet store cockatoos are often (but not always) the prepubescent birds of a year or two old, when they're at their most cuddly and adorable. But yes, in general all of the cockatoo species love being scratched, cuddled, and loved on, to the point that some people call them "velcro birds". This extends to cockatiels, which are genus Nymphicus but in the same family. :derptiel:

EDIT: Sorry if it sounds like I was aggressive or attacking you, that wasn't my intent. I just love Cockatoos so much, a love I share with my dad. He nearly got one when we were first looking at birds, and it would have ended in disaster and bitterness, and ruined a lovely, helpless animal, were it not for some random person giving a warning not dissimilar from the above. For that reason I tend to put the terror in anyone that expresses interest in them just so they don't make the mistake we almost made out of ignorance, and pay it forward.

As a cockatoo owner, this is all good stuff. But it's also worth noting that cockatoos can be good pets. My umbrella loves nothing more than to sit in my lap for hours and snuggle, but that doesn't stop him from occasionally biting me with that big ol' beak or for screaming for an hour straight (and it carries outdoors at least a mile, I have tested this). Also consider that several species are on the red list as vulnerable or endangered.

I guess the short of it is that if you know you can care for a cockatoo, go for it as they can be really rewarding and amazing companions. But the care commitment on a day to day basis is enormous and it doesn't decline over the 30-70 year lifespan of the bird.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Bioshuffle posted:

Came home and Tango was resting on top of the cage. Apparently, he figured out how to open the cage door. Soon as he saw the towel, he took off.

After a bit of a chase, I managed to lure him back into the cage with some millet, but not before taking some pictures. Those wings are soooo getting clipped.

Ahhwww! That reminds me of my old Skittles, the peach face lovebird. He would fly from the top of one cabinet , and you had to drag a chair over to get up there. Then when you got close he'd take off to the next one. It was like some kind of sick twisted bird joke. HA!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

So somebody was in a feisty mood today.

And of course when he didn't win he became puffy and angry

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

So somebody was in a feisty mood today.

And of course when he didn't win he became puffy and angry

Looks like you got yourself a new computer too. Maybe he's mad about that, or am I mistaken?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Oh yeah I did. He doesn't like the new keyboard. He refuses to step on it, not that I'm complaining.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

Oh yeah I did. He doesn't like the new keyboard. He refuses to step on it, not that I'm complaining.

Hahaha, ritz LOVES those apple keyboards, they're perfect for pulling keys. :argh:

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

Ok, so I decided to give the feeder another chance and it works! The little derps finally figured it out.

Here, have a video of Cinni angrily trying it out while Pumpkin waits her turn.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Oof, it's been a bit and I swear I keep up with the thread, I'm just quiet about it.

Apple keyboards are something Ivan knows if he pecks at it he doesn't get cuddles. It's gotten to the point that he will sit on the keys of my macbook just so he can get more of my attention. It works and the keyboard gets to remain in tact. What's great is he doesn't care for the regular keyboard for the PC. It must be how thin the keys are?

In other news I was super excited last time we went to Omar's. I take Ivan for grooming and to socialize him a little and every time I go in someone stops me and asks about him. This week there was a middle-aged mother and her two teenagers looking around, petting the cockatoos and all that.

The mom asked some questions about Hawkheads and explained they were interested in a pet bird, but didn't plan on getting anything right away as there was much to learn. She happily questioned me about birds in general for the better part of an hour and it was really refreshing to see someone trying to approach it from a sane angle. After a while Ivan kept asking to go home by offering me kiss after kiss (which impressed her) and I ended the conversation with a few book reccomendations.

Although I was a little irritated at the one of the teens for touching Ivan without my permission, I'm rather impressed he did little more than glare at her. I pointed out to the mom that it is not OK to do that but we left it at that. The other teen asked and followed my directions, but panicked when he fluffed and dropped a feather. :allears:

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Gratuitous phone pictures! Default snuggling position.

Zeke's obsessed with my Kindle and wants to watch Youtube 24/7.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

BigGayLogan posted:

Ok, so I decided to give the feeder another chance and it works! The little derps finally figured it out.

Here, have a video of Cinni angrily trying it out while Pumpkin waits her turn.

Holy crap, that's brilliant. Where did you get that?

BigGayLogan
Feb 19, 2011

As I said earlier, I got it off Dr. Fosters and Smiths. Everyone in this thread should get one!

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Maru has a perch with a food bucket at the end of it. It does a great job of keeping seeds in the catch box and not the floor.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

BigGayLogan posted:

As I said earlier, I got it off Dr. Fosters and Smiths. Everyone in this thread should get one!

That looks really cool. We just ordered two (one for the our green cheek, Bruce, and the other for our :derptiel:, Toots). Great find! Hopefully this saves us a lot of vacuuming.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
We figured out how to get him to bed at night:

We've been having a lot of luck with him out of the cage. He's become a much better flyer, able to recognize a bad decision and course correct instead of thumping into it. He did have one time he thought the edge of a granite countertop would be easily gripped, he slid off and sort of paniced around but eventually found a spot to land. This morning he sallied into the kitchen, realized there was no where to go and 180'd to back on top of his cage. We've been encouraging him to hang out there as a "safe" spot.

Also the bird in our hanging light fixture is hilarious. He jumps around in circles, and his little feet juuuuust barely grip it. He has amazing balance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So which birds are the talkinest birds? I want a cool dude who will chat with me because I've wanted a talking pet since I was little.