Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

shinmai posted:

Am I crazy or does the music in Rolling Masterpiece Galaxy change tempo according to how fast the player is moving. When I played the game I thought it just happened to sync up at times (I guess you don't always pay that much attention to little details like that when wrangling with bullshit motion control gimmickery) but looking at the video it seems to sync up pretty much all the time. If it actually does follow the players velocity, it's another one of those cool little details I love about the Galaxy games.
I like the art-style of the galaxy in general. It reminds me of what I liked about the Micro Machines games (and about Katamari, to some extent), everyday objects as building blocks for something exiting.

You're not crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withheldmcfakename
Oct 30, 2011

did you know that
knuckles once smoked
out of a bong made
out of a disco ball?
I never didn't notice it; it was the only thing I enjoyed about the rolling galaxies.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

"Marry-o" is how my dad always pronounced it. We all knew it was wrong but didn't even think to correct it. He was from Jersey too, and it just sounded right.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

ArgonMatrix posted:

Hmm... yeah, okay.

:siren:Challenge Video!:siren:

In addition to the challenge showcased above, I also went and showed how to get through Haunty Halls Galaxy without using the Bulb Berry. This one's short and sweet, so enjoy!

:eyepop:

This was pretty amazing to see.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

ArgonMatrix posted:

Hmm... yeah, okay.

In addition to the challenge showcased above, I also went and showed how to get through Haunty Halls Galaxy without using the Bulb Berry. This one's short and sweet, so enjoy!

Shenanigans!

Mario is clearly on the yellow block, as evidenced by the settling dust!

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I wish you better luck in your run.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Shenanigans!

This is loving bullshit, voted one, greetings from the gas chamber!

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

ArgonMatrix posted:

Hmm... yeah, okay.

Holy poo poo Yoshi loving curbstomped that galaxy.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Boos puzzle the hell out of me. What *are* they? Are they the spirits of the deceased? But why would a Goomba become a Boo? Or a Toad? Would Mario become a Boo if he died? Do you always become a Boo, or does something have to cause you to transform into one. Boos have their own society and culture and seem to forge individual identities revolving around their Boo-bodies--does this mean they don't remember being alive? Or maybe they're just another species of creature that just happens to be ghost-like? If a Boo ate a 1-up mushroom, would it die? If a Boo dies, what happens to it? Where does it go? Is there Mario heaven? What is Mario hell? Is there a Mushroom God? If Mario only eats mushrooms, cake and various flowers, why is he so fat?

How many Boos could dance on the head of a pin?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RentCavalier posted:

Boos puzzle the hell out of me. What *are* they? Are they the spirits of the deceased? But why would a Goomba become a Boo? Or a Toad? Would Mario become a Boo if he died? Do you always become a Boo, or does something have to cause you to transform into one. Boos have their own society and culture and seem to forge individual identities revolving around their Boo-bodies--does this mean they don't remember being alive? Or maybe they're just another species of creature that just happens to be ghost-like? If a Boo ate a 1-up mushroom, would it die? If a Boo dies, what happens to it? Where does it go? Is there Mario heaven? What is Mario hell? Is there a Mushroom God? If Mario only eats mushrooms, cake and various flowers, why is he so fat?

How many Boos could dance on the head of a pin?

Boos aren't ghosts, don't be ridiculous and slightly, unintentionally racist.

Seriously, we've seen more non-Boo ghost characters in Mario than we've seen proof that Boos are ghosts. At this point I've just assumed that Boos are ghost-like, but not actually ghosts, that sometimes hang out with actual ghosts.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Boos are Boos. You might as well ask what exactly Goombas or Toads are.

They're things that exist in the Mushroom Kingdom.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Neruz posted:

Boos are Boos. You might as well ask what exactly Goombas or Toads are.

They're things that exist in the Mushroom Kingdom.

Goombas are the brown mushrooms that you eat and Toads are the red and white polka-dot mushrooms that kill you.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Ghost Goombas exist in Super Mario Land 2 anyways. I think they take the place of Eeries.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

PureRok posted:

Goombas are the brown mushrooms that you eat and Toads are the red and white polka-dot mushrooms that kill you.

I'm totally not on board with Goombas being mushrooms. They're clearly just a species of squat little monsters! Also: not totally OK with Toads being Amanitas, either, but the Goomba thing is priority no. 1.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

a spooky ghost posted:

I'm totally not on board with Goombas being mushrooms. They're clearly just a species of squat little monsters! Also: not totally OK with Toads being Amanitas, either, but the Goomba thing is priority no. 1.

Goombas are called Kuribohs meaning "Chestnut People" in Japanese. Not sure if that's relevant. The Wind Fish also dreams of them in Legend of Zelda, and as Shy Guys first appeared in Subcon that means that you can emigrate from and immigrate to the land of dreams in Mario.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Boos are clearly the ghosts of Shy Guys.
:v:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Boos are the ghosts of every life you've lost in Mario games. Use a 1-UP, spit out a boo, come back to life.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Mahr-ee-o.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Bruceski posted:

Boos are the ghosts of every life you've lost in Mario games. Use a 1-UP, spit out a boo, come back to life.

This guy is inclined to agree with you.

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

RentCavalier posted:

What is Mario hell?

You actually go to Mario hell in Super Paper Mario. I totally forgot about that until just now.

PureRok posted:

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Omnicrom posted:

Goombas are called Kuribohs meaning "Chestnut People" in Japanese.
?

Seriously though, I can sorta see the whole chestnut thing they're going for.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Boos are an entirely separate spectral species. There are actual ghosts and then there are Boos. There was a toad's spirit haunting a train in Paper Mario:TTYD for example. Least I'm PRETTY sure that Boos exist as a separate entity.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

nope they were living beings. If you tattle Igor in Paper Mario Goombario insinuates that he was a shopkeeper in his former life.

source: mario wiki

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I thought goomba's were Mushroom Kingdom residence who aligned themselves with Bowser.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Omnicrom posted:

Goombas are called Kuribohs meaning "Chestnut People" in Japanese. Not sure if that's relevant.

In New Super Mario Bros Wii they actually hatch out of spiky shells in one level. (evidence: Skip to 2:00 in this Freelance Astronauts video)

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

In New Super Mario Bros Wii they actually hatch out of spiky shells in one level. (evidence: Skip to 2:00 in this Freelance Astronauts video)

It looked to me like they were hiding inside the spiky seedpods. Also I'd like to suggest we head of at the pass any discussions of Goomba reproductive biology.

Yapping Eevee posted:

?

Seriously though, I can sorta see the whole chestnut thing they're going for.

Yeah, same word. Good thing Goombas don't explode on contact huh?

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Omnicrom posted:

Yeah, same word. Good thing Goombas don't explode on contact huh?
...I sense a new romhack in development. Somewhere out there, there is a mind twisted enough to make it.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

kvltmanifesto posted:

nope they were living beings. If you tattle Igor in Paper Mario Goombario insinuates that he was a shopkeeper in his former life.

When you start sourcing things on the Something Awful Let's Play Forum, then It's Time To Stop.

Azriel Odin
Jun 3, 2011

Somehow I knew this was gonna happen.

Vicas posted:

When you start sourcing things on the Something Awful Let's Play Forum, then It's Time To Stop.
Especially the Mario Wiki. Unless you want to end up with this sort of thing.

Jiefu
Mar 14, 2011

Don't smoke cigarettes, kids. You'll turn into a piece of bread.

Don't ask how.
I always imagined boos were kinda like the Mario universe's version of the English: Pale white, live in Victorian mansions, and capable of floating.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Boos are clearly ghosts because their houses are called Ghost Houses. :colbert:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's also worth noting that Mario has never seen the vast majority of Boos he's run into because they turn invisible when he looks at them. We, the player, are the only people who can see most Boos. All Mario ever knows of most Boos is the cackling they make and sudden death from behind.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Neruz posted:

It's also worth noting that Mario has never seen the vast majority of Boos he's run into because they turn invisible when he looks at them. We, the player, are the only people who can see most Boos. All Mario ever knows of most Boos is the cackling they make and sudden death from behind.

Well that's mainly the case with Super Mario 64; in most Mario games Boos don't turn invisible when you look at them, and just cover their face. This goes for both before and after Super Mario 64. But the rules of Boos change from time to time, and nothing is really set in stone as something that a Boo needs to do to be considered a normal Boo. In fact there's one Boo in New Super Mario Bros. 2 that is the exception to most of the "rules" of boos. The giant boo who shows up infrequently throughout the game will cover it's face when you look at it, but after a couple of seconds will just peek at you again and start moving towards you in you keep staring at it.

But anyway, that's probably enough about Boos for now.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Zebia posted:

Well that's mainly the case with Super Mario 64; in most Mario games Boos don't turn invisible when you look at them, and just cover their face. This goes for both before and after Super Mario 64. But the rules of Boos change from time to time, and nothing is really set in stone as something that a Boo needs to do to be considered a normal Boo. In fact there's one Boo in New Super Mario Bros. 2 that is the exception to most of the "rules" of boos. The giant boo who shows up infrequently throughout the game will cover it's face when you look at it, but after a couple of seconds will just peek at you again and start moving towards you in you keep staring at it.

But anyway, that's probably enough about Boos for now.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
Re: the goomba thing, yeah. They're supposed to be chestnuts, not mushrooms. That's why they looked so different in Super Mario World, but I guess it confused somebody, somewhere to the point Nintendo decided to make them look more like mushrooms again later. Who knows, really.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Is that going to be the new :goonsay:?

KevinCow
Oct 24, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

Boos are clearly ghosts because their houses are called Ghost Houses. :colbert:

They're clearly not houses, though. They're much too large to be houses. They're at least mansions.

So if the house part is wrong, the ghost part could be too.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's probably worse that it was actually off the top of my head, isn't it?

Hustle Hound
Oct 21, 2012

all is known

Darkoni posted:

Is that going to be the new :goonsay:?

Let's hope not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

FinalGamer posted:

You asked for it Betus. You asked for it. Sorry if I brought up any bad memories slowbeef. :ohdear:
Somehow this is worse than the crappy movies Jason Bateman has been lately.

I remember the original Super Mario Bros. instruction manual saying that Goombas were Mushroom Kingdom traitors who joined Bowser's army.

• Locked thread