Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ursine Asylum posted:

In like one of the first 20 comics, yeah. Also Belkar's dagger magically shrunk because they moved to the 3.5 ruleset and they had 3 or 4 jokes played "straight" about missing listen/spot checks on ninja hordes and 20 foot tall chimeras.

It does make me wonder if Rich is ever going to retcon that first dungeon adventure, given that it's "unserious gag a day D&D jokes" bracketed on both sides with "serious drama with occasional pokes at D&D rulesets".

Don't be silly. Stories have to start somewhere, and you can't have a 3 dimensional character on page 1 of a novel, much less a comic. Making dumb jokes about the rules is part of the world-building of the series. It's indirect characterization of the setting as being a place where skill-points matter, and common-sense less so. The fact that those characteristics aren't the most important thing going on in the setting takes a while to properly establish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Apparently the book version replaces the first few comics with appropriate things rather than obscure version jokes? One of the many reasons I'm eternally pissed off he won't sell digitally. I WANT THOSE STRIPS.

I... don't remember that? Of course an ex has my books, so...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Comparing the first 15 strips, there's minor art differences, but the dialog is all the same.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

CapnAndy posted:

Apparently the book version replaces the first few comics with appropriate things rather than obscure version jokes? One of the many reasons I'm eternally pissed off he won't sell digitally. I WANT THOSE STRIPS.

From what I've heard it doesn't replace them, but there are some new introductory strips rather than just showing up in the middle of a fight with some goblins.

Ursine Asylum posted:

It doesn't make much sense to regenerate clothing, but he had a robe while Redcloak was hauling him around. Neither the gem nor the contents have been mentioned, but I'm going to assume Redcloak acquired both it and Xykon's robe in the post-detonation confusion.

That sounds about right. The only place it shows up in the comic proper is here, and Xykon definitely still had access to the headband after his original body was destroyed.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

CapnAndy posted:

I'd be curious about seeing that, given that literally the first macguffin is "power over old edition monsters".

e:

ikanreed posted:

Don't be silly. Stories have to start somewhere, and you can't have a 3 dimensional character on page 1 of a novel, much less a comic. Making dumb jokes about the rules is part of the world-building of the series. It's indirect characterization of the setting as being a place where skill-points matter, and common-sense less so. The fact that those characteristics aren't the most important thing going on in the setting takes a while to properly establish.

I don't expect 3 dimensional characters on page 1, but broaching the 4th wall constantly for 20 strips before going into (and sticking with) drama is a little weird to me.

Except for Haley getting the diamond to resurrect Roy with, most of the comic since has just been "legitimate world with very odd metaphysical properties". The spot/listen check jokes back at the beginning always seemed out of place in comparison to how the world's been characterized since then.

Alliterate Addict fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Mar 9, 2013

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The best way to handle your first few comics in the classic "webcomic that goes from gag-a-day to serious" is to not address them ever. Turn the beginning of the story into a sort of hazy era to which characters refer only when bringing up plot-relevant details. An explicit retcon (or worse, trying to explain it in terms of the world's own rules) just draws attention to the discrepancy you're trying to minimize.

People have made the point that the early comics of OotS and many other webcomics are meant to help establish the story and the characters and ease into a real story, not to mention giving the authour a chance to decide if making a comic is really something they want to do. Comic-reading audiences are familiar enough with this pattern by now to give the first few comics some latitude.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Dolash posted:

People have made the point that the early comics of OotS and many other webcomics are meant to help establish the story and the characters and ease into a real story, not to mention giving the authour a chance to decide if making a comic is really something they want to do. Comic-reading audiences are familiar enough with this pattern by now to give the first few comics some latitude.

Oh, for sure-- I just kind of skip everything before the Linear Guild on archive binges, and there's plenty of fantastic comics that start in much the same way. My (derailed) original point was more that we don't know what happened to Xykon's gems/clothing just because it's hard to tell what of that first arc is considered "canon", as it were, and what was played for laughs.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I feel really spoiled from the last quick updates. Then there is of course this thread which used to only get a couple of posts every few days or at updates and now has gone berserk with 100+ new posts a day. :shobon:

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

CapnAndy posted:

I've got a copy of the book right here and checked. Strip #1 is the same version change joke, however Rich added a new prologue section with ten new strips (Strips #A - #I) introducing the comic and the characters which works a lot better as a beginning.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Ursine Asylum posted:

I don't expect 3 dimensional characters on page 1, but broaching the 4th wall constantly for 20 strips before going into (and sticking with) drama is a little weird to me.

The fourth-wall breaches have been less frequent than at the beginning, but they never disappeared. I mean, for example those. Okay, so they are used as punch lines at the end of the page, but they all come from pages with serious plot and/or drama.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

You just got me to reread the Oracle mini-arc and reading this one I remembered that Belkar is pretty heavily implied to one day cause Vaarsuvius' death as well. I mean, for what that's worth, given that the same comic spells out just how indirectly that particular prophecy tends to come true, but still. Pretty bleak future for half the Order ahead, it would seem.

Speaking of the Oracle though, he's involved with Tiamat. I dimly remember he told the black dragon who killed her offspring, but you'd think either the Oracle or Tiamat herself would have had a stronger interest in preventing a meeting between the two, seeing as it led directly to Black Dragon Familicide. Then again, maybe he couldn't have predicted the Directors' meddling.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hey, speaking of the Order of the Scribble, we've no idea what's up with Serini, do we? The Order mentioned they might try contacting her at one point, but never did. Did Xykon ever say how he found her diary? It seems there's a good chance she's still knocking around in the Northern Lands with the last Gate? And if so, she'd have gotten magical notifications that three of the gates have blown and from Draketooth's warning spell that someone's tried to find the fourth.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

My Lovely Horse posted:

You just got me to reread the Oracle mini-arc and reading this one I remembered that Belkar is pretty heavily implied to one day cause Vaarsuvius' death as well. I mean, for what that's worth, given that the same comic spells out just how indirectly that particular prophecy tends to come true, but still. Pretty bleak future for half the Order ahead, it would seem.

Speaking of the Oracle though, he's involved with Tiamat. I dimly remember he told the black dragon who killed her offspring, but you'd think either the Oracle or Tiamat herself would have had a stronger interest in preventing a meeting between the two, seeing as it led directly to Black Dragon Familicide. Then again, maybe he couldn't have predicted the Directors' meddling.

The Oracle doesn't seem to meddle beyond what he's directly asked (at least not intentionally, though ghost Roy got extra information out of him) and I assume he doesn't often look ahead when he doesn't want/need to, and it was pretty clear that Tiamat pissed about that whole thing, whether or not she saw it coming (assuming she didn't, since she didn't act preemptively).

Tangent from that, wonder if the Familicide zapped Tiamat's black dragon head, or if she's too powerful/too far removed for that. It'd be interesting for her to show up sans one head at some point, though yet another antagonist isn't particularly necessary for the story at this point.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I'm fairly certain Tiamat has still got all five of her heads. I don't doubt that the Familicide might have caused her some serious discomfort, but it didn't kill a head, just give her the Epic-level magic equivalent of a bad hangover. In the strip where the Fiends saw the result of their meddling with V, Tiamat was on the phone on five lines at once. Five lines, five heads.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

Tangent from that, wonder if the Familicide zapped Tiamat's black dragon head, or if she's too powerful/too far removed for that. It'd be interesting for her to show up sans one head at some point, though yet another antagonist isn't particularly necessary for the story at this point.

The black dragon head is probably fine just from being a deity, but I was under the impression that there were still a few black dragons left after all of that.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Not even just a few, if I remember correctly V's Familicide got only about 25% of them.

"Only" in pretty huge quotation marks because if anything wiped out 25% of any population subset in our world at once we'd be making GBS threads ourselves.

Theler
Aug 8, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Hey, speaking of the Order of the Scribble, we've no idea what's up with Serini, do we? The Order mentioned they might try contacting her at one point, but never did. Did Xykon ever say how he found her diary? It seems there's a good chance she's still knocking around in the Northern Lands with the last Gate? And if so, she'd have gotten magical notifications that three of the gates have blown and from Draketooth's warning spell that someone's tried to find the fourth.

I am pretty sure V tried to contact Serini with a sending. I can't find the exact comic where that was mentioned though, if it happened.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Given that Xykon has her diary, and has had it for some time, plus the fact that Sending spells to her don't work, we can be pretty sure Serini's dead. Though whether she was already dead when Xykon got her diary or if he's the one who killed her is as yet unrevealed.

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!

Ursine Asylum posted:

Except for Haley getting the diamond to resurrect Roy with, most of the comic since has just been "legitimate world with very odd metaphysical properties". The spot/listen check jokes back at the beginning always seemed out of place in comparison to how the world's been characterized since then.

On the other hand, Rich hasn't entirely gotten away from such jokes, which I think makes the transition smoother. The gags are still there in the world, they're just not the main characters' focus any more.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I didn't even mind the jokes at the start. I just reread the first two hundred or so - It felt to me like they were run of the mill adventurers who were bumbling through a dungeon, and slowly the seriousness of the situation begins to sink in as more of the world is revealed. It's a good way to acclimate the reader to the comic's tone and ease them into the story without being too dark at the start.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I wouldn't mind if he went back and touched up the artwork on the first bunch of strips at least.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

He did.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Colonel Cool posted:

I wouldn't mind if he went back and touched up the artwork on the first bunch of strips at least.

The Order of the Stick Special Edition would finally capture the vision Burlew always had in mind, but couldn't achieve with the stick figure technology of the time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

oobey posted:

The Order of the Stick Special Edition would finally capture the vision Burlew always had in mind, but couldn't achieve with the stick figure technology of the time.

My biggest beef is that the ghost of Roy's dad now looks like he did in the prequel books.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

oobey posted:

What would be the equivalent of "Han shot first" for The Order of The Stick: Special Edition?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

JosephWongKS posted:

What would be the equivalent of "Han shot first" for The Order of The Stick: Special Edition?

The Dragon cast Disintegrate first.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
re-read some of the archives today, and this entire book Durkon's extreme uptightness has been causing problems. His refusal to compromise on disobeyong unjust laws keeps Roy & Belkar locked up, it interfered with Haley's attempt at talking the information out of the authorities (and she flat out calls him on it at one point) and it was his driving motivation in picking an unnecessary fight.

I mean, you can make the whole alignment argument that he had to be this way, but the point is his fatal flaw was really called out this book.

Also, unrelated but "Everyone needs my kind of stability" is such a perfect villain line.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fried Chicken posted:

Also, unrelated but "Everyone needs my kind of stability" is such a perfect villain line.

Agreed.

Nale's crazy ambush scenarios are but a pale reflection of Tarquin's awesomeness.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one

Fried Chicken posted:

re-read some of the archives today, and this entire book Durkon's extreme uptightness has been causing problems. His refusal to compromise on disobeyong unjust laws keeps Roy & Belkar locked up, it interfered with Haley's attempt at talking the information out of the authorities (and she flat out calls him on it at one point) and it was his driving motivation in picking an unnecessary fight.

I mean, you can make the whole alignment argument that he had to be this way, but the point is his fatal flaw was really called out this book.

And now he's a vampire slave-thrall, the natural extension of his lawfulness!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

ConfusedUs posted:

Agreed.

Nale's crazy ambush scenarios are but a pale reflection of Tarquin's awesomeness.
Wasn't his original scheme pretty decent? I guess it's a good message as to how Tarquin doesn't freak out about revenge while Nale does.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Fried Chicken posted:

If we're talking about stuff Rich needs to go back and fix I hope he does a run through for typos and such. It's not facist, it's fascist.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Brannock posted:

If we're talking about stuff Rich needs to go back and fix I hope he does a run through for typos and such. It's not facist, it's fascist.
Not the first time either. Maybe he thinks it's actually spelled that way and someone should shoot him an email?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

I just reread Malack's vow to "handle the dwarf" personally (out of respect). :(

Man, this comic.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Fried Chicken posted:

Well, no, it was Tarquin's decision to seize control of the pyramid that caused the unnecessary fight. All of Malack's compromises involved either having the entire Order of the Stick withdraw, or having Durkon and Malack sit out the fight to some degree. Tarquin withdrawing his team wasn't on the table.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Being bound by the offers on the table is part of Durkon's problem. He could have told Malack he was withdrawing to get out of the situation, and just ignore whatever promise he needed to make. Durkon was at least evenly matched, if not slightly outgunned, against Malack and low-will Belkar. But rather than doing the strategically wise thing, Durkon pressed the fight, and as a result the Order's position is severely diminished. He did manage to save Belkar, though, so at least some of the damage was mitigated.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Danzou posted:

Being bound by the offers on the table is part of Durkon's problem. He could have told Malack he was withdrawing to get out of the situation, and just ignore whatever promise he needed to make. Durkon was at least evenly matched, if not slightly outgunned, against Malack and low-will Belkar. But rather than doing the strategically wise thing, Durkon pressed the fight, and as a result the Order's position is severely diminished. He did manage to save Belkar, though, so at least some of the damage was mitigated.

Belkar is almost useless in a fight right now, and won't heal up for ages without Durkon, unless there are some really good potions in Haley's bag.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot

ConfusedUs posted:

Belkar is almost useless in a fight right now, and won't heal up for ages without Durkon, unless there are some really good potions in Haley's bag.
Yeah, I guess that saving Belkar doesn't really mitigate the loss of the party cleric at all. Hell, even if Belkar was still at full tank, he's not in the same league as Durkon in battle, even before you consider healing.

Man... Durkon really let everyone down. But being like he is, really couldn't have done anything differently.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I thought this, this and this were kind of interesting - someone coming to the comic blind and with no knowledge of D&D.

His predictions are funny.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

jng2058 posted:

Given that Xykon has her diary, and has had it for some time, plus the fact that Sending spells to her don't work, we can be pretty sure Serini's dead. Though whether she was already dead when Xykon got her diary or if he's the one who killed her is as yet unrevealed.

On the other hand, I think Serini's alive. In #695 Girard says that the spell he left in the supposed location of the gate was also set to notify both "us" (by which I guess he means the Draketooth family) and Serini should anyone go looking for the gate there. Then in #698, as the Order is leaving, a scrying sensor appears to look at the area. I think it's unlikely this is a coincidence, meaning the scrying and the message spell activating are related; since at this points the Draketooths were all dead, the only possibility left is Serini.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Mikl posted:

On the other hand, I think Serini's alive. In #695 Girard says that the spell he left in the supposed location of the gate was also set to notify both "us" (by which I guess he means the Draketooth family) and Serini should anyone go looking for the gate there. Then in #698, as the Order is leaving, a scrying sensor appears to look at the area. I think it's unlikely this is a coincidence, meaning the scrying and the message spell activating are related; since at this points the Draketooths were all dead, the only possibility left is Serini.

I think the consensus is that the scry is the Linear Guilds Dark Elf based on the color.