Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mary Annette posted:

Tonari no Seki-kun Yokoi-san 22!

An interesting shift in perspective.

Time to move the discussion of this series into the Shoujo Megathread.

EDIT: This goon is very prescient.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Maybe I'm talking out of my rear end but Seki and Yokoi are starting to behave like a couple :v:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Mar 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mary Annette posted:

What was great is that the other girl got sucked into Yokoi's pace the same way Yokoi gets sucked into Seki's! Really hilarious chapter, I loved it.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

One fine and upstanding gentleman on /a/ decided to bring a certain series, called Sakamoto-san Desu ga, to the English internet's attention.

http://archive.foolz.us/a/thread/81176597/#81176597

It's only the first chapter, but he posted the raws and definite interest was expressed by other anons. And you're really going to want to read that one chapter.

edit: to elaborate, it's the tale of the most fabulous man this side of Jojo/Code Geass.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Mar 6, 2013

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

DrSunshine posted:

What was great is that the other girl got sucked into Yokoi's pace the same way Yokoi gets sucked into Seki's! Really hilarious chapter, I loved it.

It's nice to see other people get caught up in things he is doing. Also that is some slick mini golf skill he's got.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
More Voynich AND more Seki-kun? :allears:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Some more Daily Lives Blood Sport of Highschool Boys Girls.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

I just marathoned this entire series and holy poo poo I wish there was more. This series is absolutely stellar, and I highly recommend it to everyone interested in weird things.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
If anyone missed Rodyle's recommendation of Sakamoto desu ga? upthread, you should reflect on your errors and change your ways, as there is now a second chapter out: http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/sakamoto-desu-ga-r8496

gnome7 posted:

I just marathoned this entire series and holy poo poo I wish there was more. This series is absolutely stellar, and I highly recommend it to everyone interested in weird things.

You caught up at just the right time, then. The translator just got hold of the second volume scans and has released three chapters this week with plans to crank the rest out as fast as he can.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

If anyone missed Rodyle's recommendation of Sakamoto desu ga? upthread, you should reflect on your errors and change your ways, as there is now a second chapter out: http://www.batoto.net/comic/_/comics/sakamoto-desu-ga-r8496
Seconding the hell out of this. In those two chapters there were several laugh out loud moments. Sakamoto defines swag.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Yep, Sakamoto needs an anime adaption with Jun Fukuyama. :allears:

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

What the actual gently caress is wrong with highschool girl's...

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I've been reading Sumire 16-Sai! and I am a few chapters in. Is it ever explained why the principal ignores the old man or can't see him?

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

Ulio posted:

I've been reading Sumire 16-Sai! and I am a few chapters in. Is it ever explained why the principal ignores the old man or can't see him?

Yeah, at the end.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Forecast warning: high chance of tears.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

gnome7 posted:

I like how it's goofy but there's always this kind of, I don't know, oppressive sense of foreboding? Like everything feels really tense and at any minute it could all blow up or somebody could get offed out of nowhere.

Also it helps that the creator's art is really great. It kind of reminds me a bit of Koji Kumeta's but with a bit of the cartoony wonkiness and such of Imaishi I guess.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Nipponophile posted:

You caught up at just the right time, then. The translator just got hold of the second volume scans and has released three chapters this week with plans to crank the rest out as fast as he can.

What's the English title for this? "Is this Sakamoto?" Anyway, I love it! I love the completely over the top way he does mundane things, it's like the whole manga has "Eighth-grader syndrome".

I just wish it was uploaded at some convenient site, like Kissmanga or Mangareader.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Suben posted:

I like how it's goofy but there's always this kind of, I don't know, oppressive sense of foreboding? Like everything feels really tense and at any minute it could all blow up or somebody could get offed out of nowhere.

Also it helps that the creator's art is really great. It kind of reminds me a bit of Koji Kumeta's but with a bit of the cartoony wonkiness and such of Imaishi I guess.

Yeah, I absolutely love the art. The author's style is really great.

Foreboding is a good word for the mood of it, I think. There's clearly a lot going on here, and a lot of it is very dark, but it's dark in a light-hearted way, if that makes any sense.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

DrSunshine posted:

What's the English title for this? "Is this Sakamoto?" Anyway, I love it! I love the completely over the top way he does mundane things, it's like the whole manga has "Eighth-grader syndrome".

I just wish it was uploaded at some convenient site, like Kissmanga or Mangareader.
It's written in English in a few places on the first few pages. "I'm Sakamoto, you know." Which is just perfect.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Ulio posted:

When you reach the omakes (pages where the artist is allowed to doodle whatever poo poo he wants) you will find out that the principal is really the author's stand-in. The premise is kinda flimsy, so he has to drop into his own comic and tell his side characters to roll with it and don't ruin it by pointing out that there is a creepy old man hanging out with high-school girls(I don't think it's really a spoiler, but whatever)

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Mary Annette posted:

Not only was this chapter amazing, but Ms. Gotou really stole the show. I was cracking up at how expressive she is with her pigtails.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's been way too long since the last Hinamatsuri - http://mangafox.me/manga/hinamatsuri/v04/c017/1.html

Hina's actually not a jerk in this chapter :3:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Ohh! Oh gosh, I am red-faced, belly-hurting, trying desperately to regain my breath after seeing a rocker become a Buddha. Dear god, what a great chapter!! It was all worth it for that one gag.

JimmyT64
Oct 27, 2007
I'm Special!
Found a third chapter of Sakamoto Is The Best

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/160152/sakamoto-desu-ga_v1_ch3_by_cursive-scans

Here we learn the value of hard work.

Also, that all McDonalds employees are secretly badass.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

DrSunshine posted:

Ohh! Oh gosh, I am red-faced, belly-hurting, trying desperately to regain my breath after seeing a rocker become a Buddha. Dear god, what a great chapter!! It was all worth it for that one gag.

OK, that tears it. I'm making a thread.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Great!

Man, I am so happy that this thread has spawned yet another thread for a manga that was "discovered" and posted about. It just makes me pleased that it has done its work, it does. First it was "Assassination Classroom" and now "Hinamatsuri". Hooray!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Another chapter of everyone's favorite Hotel.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Great!

Man, I am so happy that this thread has spawned yet another thread for a manga that was "discovered" and posted about. It just makes me pleased that it has done its work, it does. First it was "Assassination Classroom" and now "Hinamatsuri". Hooray!

I honestly think there should be some kind of rule that after a certain amount of discussion when it's clear there's enough interested people that someone should make a thread. It seems, for example, that there are enough people interested in Voynich Hotel and Seki-kun that they could have a thread no problem. Something like Sakamoto that's only a few chapters in could probably wait, though. I think it's pretty silly that at one point Hinamatsuri was dominating the discussion in three separate threads and didn't have one of its own.

It's the same principle as not talking about stuff past the third episode in the season thread. It just keeps things from getting to cluttered so people who are just looking for something new to read don't have to wade through pages of "look a new chapter" and discussion about old stuff they might now be interested in.

Joshlemagne fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Mar 9, 2013

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Yeah, a similar thing was done for the Misc Shounen Thread too, where manga like Beelzebub and Tower of God eventually spawned their own threads.

Thing about Seki-kun, though, is that beyond "Haha, that chapter was great" there really isn't all that much to say about it. But well, if someone wants to make a thread, be my guest!

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I think the real limiting factor for series getting their own threads is their English release schedule. Months going by with no update kills a thread pretty quick.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Yeah, a similar thing was done for the Misc Shounen Thread too, where manga like Beelzebub and Tower of God eventually spawned their own threads.

Thing about Seki-kun, though, is that beyond "Haha, that chapter was great" there really isn't all that much to say about it. But well, if someone wants to make a thread, be my guest!

Well if the discussion isn't worth having in its own thread is it worth having here, though? I'm not saying it should or shouldn't have a thread it's just a little odd that so many things are tucked away in these megathreads. You bring up the shonen thread and I think that kind of illustrates my point. Say I discover some cool manga and want to discuss it, where do I go? If there are multiple big threads it could go in then you could wind up with a lot of duplicate discussion or people not knowing which thread is most appropriate. Hinamatsuri is a good example. Like I said at one point there was a lot of talk in this thread, the Convince someone in one image thread, and, I think, the seinen thread. I just thinks it works better if threads like these are more "here's a thing you might not heard of that you might enjoy" and discussion should be concentrated more to individual threads. Just like season threads are more first impressions and then anything else moves to its own thread. It doesn't ever hurt to make a new thread and in the worst case scenario it dies but even then would still probably draw at least a few peoples attention who don't read these threads.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I think the real limiting factor for series getting their own threads is their English release schedule. Months going by with no update kills a thread pretty quick.

That's true but it's pretty much the nature of the beast that scanlators are unreliable. If a things being regularly updated and discussion is happening than that's fine. If that changes in the future than the thread quietly dies until activity starts again. That's fine too. There's plenty of stuff like Battle Angel Alita and Claymore that have monthly chapter releases and who knows when scanlators will get to it but they still support threads. I don't want to come off like I'm whining or anything it just seems weird to have everything crammed into these little nooks instead of out for everyone to more easily see.

More on topic: I'm surprised Nichijou hasn't been mentioned since it's pretty much the definition of surreal daily life.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Joshlemagne posted:

Well if the discussion isn't worth having in its own thread is it worth having here, though? I'm not saying it should or shouldn't have a thread it's just a little odd that so many things are tucked away in these megathreads. You bring up the shonen thread and I think that kind of illustrates my point. Say I discover some cool manga and want to discuss it, where do I go? If there are multiple big threads it could go in then you could wind up with a lot of duplicate discussion or people not knowing which thread is most appropriate. Hinamatsuri is a good example. Like I said at one point there was a lot of talk in this thread, the Convince someone in one image thread, and, I think, the seinen thread. I just thinks it works better if threads like these are more "here's a thing you might not heard of that you might enjoy" and discussion should be concentrated more to individual threads. Just like season threads are more first impressions and then anything else moves to its own thread. It doesn't ever hurt to make a new thread and in the worst case scenario it dies but even then would still probably draw at least a few peoples attention who don't read these threads

More on topic: I'm surprised Nichijou hasn't been mentioned since it's pretty much the definition of surreal daily life.

Good points, all around. As I said earlier, folks are free to start their own threads (but I think I've started too many manga threads on ADTRW already as it is!) and I'd be more than happy to see "Seki-Kun", "Sumire" or any of the others we've enjoyed, get their own threads.

Nichijou so fits, and I'm glad that you mentioned it. I think it works better as a manga because it's not as drawn out, and since you can read at your own pace, it doesn't feel like it has so many loooooong periods of silence like the anime often does.

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

Oh man I can already see where this is going: Alice is going to be sad and so her sister's going to try and kill Vixen isn't she? After killing Kurosawa of course.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Well that was short and foreboding.

On the topic of "things getting their own threads," I think Yes Cantaloupe was right on the money - a lot of the series shared here update infrequently or they've finished. As great as Sumire 16, Midori Days, or Angel Densetsu are, they're over, and there wouldn't be anything new to add to them if they had their own thread. Compilation threads like these are perfect for discussing them.

As much as I love Voynich Hotel, the first volume of it apparently came out in 2006, and we're only getting the second volume now. Who even knows when the third would even be available? I certainly don't, and the scanlators haven't been all that on top of it, although I really hope the recent string of updates means there is a bunch in the wings. We'll have to see. Right now, though, we're not hurting anything by discussing it in this thread when it pops up.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

DrSunshine posted:

Nichijou so fits, and I'm glad that you mentioned it. I think it works better as a manga because it's not as drawn out, and since you can read at your own pace, it doesn't feel like it has so many loooooong periods of silence like the anime often does.

Yeah I rewatched the anime recently and it's great but there are those weird 30 second bits of nothing scattered around each episode and a few of the bits are stretched out a little too much. I hope the manga keeps getting scanlated because I've looked through the latest raw volume and it's still top quality. I especially want to see people's reaction the the epic troll fight between Mai and Mio's big sister.

gnome7 posted:

On the topic of "things getting their own threads," I think Yes Cantaloupe was right on the money - a lot of the series shared here update infrequently or they've finished. As great as Sumire 16, Midori Days, or Angel Densetsu are, they're over, and there wouldn't be anything new to add to them if they had their own thread. Compilation threads like these are perfect for discussing them.
I agree for completed stuff. I just think things can get bogged down when it's just page after page of "a new chapter happened". I like this thread a lot. It's introduced me to some great manga. It's also gotten people to read some manga that I think should be more widely read and appreciated, like Angel Densetsu. I would just prefer if it didn't lose that focus too much and become dominated by the discussion of a few series.

quote:

As much as I love Voynich Hotel, the first volume of it apparently came out in 2006, and we're only getting the second volume now. Who even knows when the third would even be available? I certainly don't, and the scanlators haven't been all that on top of it, although I really hope the recent string of updates means there is a bunch in the wings. We'll have to see. Right now, though, we're not hurting anything by discussing it in this thread when it pops up.

Well it hurts in that not everybody keeps up with this thread so there are people who might enjoy it that never even find out it exists where with a new thread they might just check it out. Just like I'm sure there's some great stuff in the Shounen/Seinen threads but it's hard to sift out recommendations when the majority of the thread is discussion of manga that doesn't interest me.

Also there are threads on the second page that haven't had a post in weeks and going to the third page it's more like months. It takes a while for a thread to die here so even if there are some gaps it can still work out.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

gnome7 posted:

As much as I love Voynich Hotel, the first volume of it apparently came out in 2006, and we're only getting the second volume now. Who even knows when the third would even be available? I certainly don't, and the scanlators haven't been all that on top of it, although I really hope the recent string of updates means there is a bunch in the wings.

The first volume came out in 2010 and the second volume came out last month. The situation is Voynich is printed in Young Champion Retsu, a magazine that almost never gets scanned and dumped online, and the scanlator isn't interested in importing piles of magazines.

Speaking of new threads to expose people to cool things. Dowman Sayman could use one once Voynich volume 2 is completed; which should be soon (the translator is trying to do 5 chapters a week). Nickelodeon Red is complete, Green's being worked on, there's the 2 volumes of Voynich, and there's a ton of short stories that are a pain to find on the translator's blog; so there's a lot to chat about.

actually i'll give making this thread a try if no one else wants to do it.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005

vkeios posted:

The first volume came out in 2010 and the second volume came out last month. The situation is Voynich is printed in Young Champion Retsu, a magazine that almost never gets scanned and dumped online, and the scanlator isn't interested in importing piles of magazines.

Speaking of new threads to expose people to cool things. Dowman Sayman could use one once Voynich volume 2 is completed; which should be soon (the translator is trying to do 5 chapters a week). Nickelodeon Red is complete, Green's being worked on, there's the 2 volumes of Voynich, and there's a ton of short stories that are a pain to find on the translator's blog; so there's a lot to chat about.

actually i'll give making this thread a try if no one else wants to do it.

I absolutely encourage you to make this thread.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Yes, do it. Ever since reading Voynich, i'm absolutely a fan of this crazy man. Voynich is his most "story-like" and cohesive work so far, but the others are good little absurdist and bizarre little morsels, each on their own.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Considering that Dowman is primarily a porn artist (though a really, really weird one), I'm not sure how cool Zorak would be with that.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,
Speak of the devil, and it'll come

This chapter is both very strange and very relevant to this conversation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
Turns out I've been indulging cats wrong this whole time. Who knew?

• Locked thread