Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Lara is steadfastly refusing to believe in the supernatural for most of the game, to me this made it a little less weird that she takes so long to figure out what's really going on.

The players coming in to the game have no such hold up, especially if they're familiar with the series. Of course it's some supernatural soul transfer thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Also rescuing sam in a bridal dress then carrying her to the boat genuinely made me think they were setting them up as a couple.

mmtt
May 8, 2009

SurrealityCheck posted:

Also rescuing sam in a bridal dress then carrying her to the boat genuinely made me think they were setting them up as a couple.

So I am not the only one. Plus when you read some journals entry, you get they are pretty close friends, it's not explicit how close though.

Anyway, gibbed, are you going to do some mods for this ? I'd love a new game+ with a harder difficulty where you keep your upgrades and stuff you have already unlocked.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I'm through most of the game now. It's been a pretty huge thrill ride so far. I mean, drat.

My favorite set-piece so far has got to be the windy temple.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

She wasn't wearing a bridal dress. It was a reference to the actual Himiko myth, right down to the flower in the hair.

It's also sort of depressing that "two female characters are friends" is such a rare situation in a game that people instantly have to assume they're in a romantic relationship to explain it. Admittedly this happens pretty drat often with male characters (Yo, Sam N' Frodo) too so maybe it's just a case where people are incapable of assuming friendship without romance.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Mar 9, 2013

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
How is the keyboard and mouse controls? Is a game-pad the best option?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

PyPy posted:

How is the keyboard and mouse controls? Is a game-pad the best option?

KB+M is pretty solid. There's a problem with the QTE's where it won't show you the actual button, instead using one of two symbols. But the symbol use is consistent and the two buttons are always either E or F so its not too bad.

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ImpAtom posted:

It's also sort of depressing that "two female characters are friends" is such a rare situation in a game that people instantly have to assume they're in a romantic relationship to explain it. Admittedly this happens pretty drat often with male characters (Yo, Sam N' Frodo) too so maybe it's just a case where people are incapable of assuming friendship without romance.

Well, Lucy Lawless confirmed in an interview that Xena and Gabrielle were lovers.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

She wasn't wearing a bridal dress. It was a reference to the actual Himiko myth, right down to the flower in the hair.

It was also the framing. It was so damsel in distressy. I thought it was quite fun!

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

mmtt posted:

Anyway, gibbed, are you going to do some mods for this ? I'd love a new game+ with a harder difficulty where you keep your upgrades and stuff you have already unlocked.
They changed some things this time around in regards to file formats (in comparison to Deus Ex 3) which requires more research, if it'll be easily moddable, I don't know yet.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
Finished the game a few days ago, with 90-ish% completion, steam says 18 hours.
And I have to say that I loved pretty much all of it.

I did ran into some weird bug though. One of the times Lara gets strung up you have to swing to grab the beam she's hanging from with the legs, and it would just kill her momentum mid-swing for no apparent reason. After a few minutes of trying I Alt+F4'd, started the game again, and it worked as intended.

The combat was definitely satisfying, especially the bow. A fully pimped out bow was just a joy to play with.

I'm really liking how they've managed to make a really good female protagonist out of Lara Croft of all people, but that's probably been discussed ad naseum already.

I have very little to complain about for this reboot, and am rather excited to see more of this new Lara.

Now if only my computer weren't five years old and had an AMD card so that I could enjoy the game with all the graphical bells and whistles, that would've been nice.
Still, it's a pretty game regardless. The accumulation of scars, bruises and dried blood is a nice touch.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I am at Shantytown, currently. Stopped playing when the textures got all screwy in the tomb. Hopefully it is because I am using an nVidia card rather than any problems with the card itself.

The exploration and combat really do evolve in neat ways and get better as you play. Its kinda like the developers got more confident with their own game as they go along.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Just finished getting all the doodads, slightly disappointed there's no bonus secret-epilogue after getting 100%, or that you can't even 're-finish' or do any plot scenes again without starting over

Massively enjoyed the plot and was pleasantly surprised at the length, although even playing on hard mode it seemed very easy and there was no point at all where I was worried about ammo conservation. Maybe even tempted to do a run through using the bow only or no upgrades for a bit more of a challenge.

Echoing the MORE TOMBS though, the puzzle nature is what makes it Tomb Raider and the combat/puzzle ratio did seem to be there to appeal to the Call of Duty market.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Weapon parts are random, right?

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

Speedball posted:

Almost certain, but there might be some places where you get one guaranteed. Like tombs and such. It's kind of luck based. My first play-through I never got the best bow. Second play-through and I got it almost right after getting the compound bow.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Speedball posted:

That's what I've been wondering too. I was trying to find a guide because I want the third bow, but the only one I found listed parts in places where I sure as gently caress didn't get any. I just got to the survivor camp at the shore.

Really loving the game so far.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom

Der Shovel posted:

That's what I've been wondering too. I was trying to find a guide because I want the third bow, but the only one I found listed parts in places where I sure as gently caress didn't get any. I just got to the survivor camp at the shore.

Really loving the game so far.

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is random. I got all the parts for the shotgun and the bow, but only 1 for the last tier of the rifle, and I'm at the very end.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I don't think this is a bug but I've exhausted my options. I'm at the part where I have to climb this radio tower but I think I'm missing something. To get to the radio tower I have to climb up this zipline, but when I get to the top, with a platform clearly directly under Lara, I can't do anything except zip back down. I've tried pretty much every key, but nothing does anything; I've also tried this on other ziplines, to the same effect. What am I supposed to do at this point? Walkthroughs just say "climb the tower".
Playing on the PC

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

ManSedan posted:

I don't think this is a bug but I've exhausted my options. I'm at the part where I have to climb this radio tower but I think I'm missing something. To get to the radio tower I have to climb up this zipline, but when I get to the top, with a platform clearly directly under Lara, I can't do anything except zip back down. I've tried pretty much every key, but nothing does anything; I've also tried this on other ziplines, to the same effect. What am I supposed to do at this point? Walkthroughs just say "climb the tower".
Playing on the PC

I'm playing with a controller, but the B button will drop me from ropes. It's the same button that puts out your torch, maybe try that?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012
Yes, shift should drop you.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

SurrealityCheck posted:

Yes, shift should drop you.

Well, I feel silly. Thanks.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm about halfway through and this is a really good action adventure, but I sometimes miss the solitary feeling of the early games. I hope they can find some middle ground between this and vintage Tomb Raider for future installments.

Chillmatic
Jul 25, 2003

always seeking to survive and flourish

ImpAtom posted:

I also rolled my eyes at the people saying this at first.

But being almost done with the game, holy poo poo. If they didn't intend Lara and Sam to come off as more than just friends, somebody in animation and directing really hosed up; their body language and interactions flat-out spell 'something more going on here'. Sure they're obviously really close but nearly every scene with the two of them really really shows an angle that looks, to me, like it has a romantic element.

The fact that there's no obvious love interest is a very interesting omission for any heroic story. Sure whiny dude complains a lot about how she never notices him, but this would sure puts an interesting spin on that whole thing. :v:

Chillmatic fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Mar 9, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Chappy posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure it is random. I got all the parts for the shotgun and the bow, but only 1 for the last tier of the rifle, and I'm at the very end.

I'm not sure it's completely random, because I got the distinct impression that the game was deliberately depriving me of a specific kind of part on two seperate occasions which I had originally put down to chance, but those weapons then got a storyline upgrade, so I suspect that, for example you can't find enough parts to complete the level 3 bow before you are given that weapon by the story, at which point you can find additional parts again, allowing you to make the next tier of weapon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Reveilled posted:

I'm not sure it's completely random, because I got the distinct impression that the game was deliberately depriving me of a specific kind of part on two seperate occasions which I had originally put down to chance, but those weapons then got a storyline upgrade, so I suspect that, for example you can't find enough parts to complete the level 3 bow before you are given that weapon by the story, at which point you can find additional parts again, allowing you to make the next tier of weapon.

I want to say that I had 2/3 bow parts for the next bow, had Jonah give me the Compound Bow and then found one more part that gave me the Competition bow.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

If you go back to older areas, sometimes you find enemies chilling about, discussing things with each other. It's a nice touch. I like that.

For example, on the beach I found two guys discussing stew they were making.

And another time, I was climbing around the mountain village and two guys came outta nowhere to ambush me! Bastards!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Chillmatic posted:

But being almost done with the game, holy poo poo. If they didn't intend Lara and Sam to come off as more than just friends, somebody in animation and directing really hosed up; their body language and interactions flat-out spell 'something more going on here'. Sure they're obviously really close but nearly every scene with the two of them really really shows an angle that looks, to me, like it has a romantic element.

Yeah, intentional or not there's a lot of stuff which is far heavier than what you usually get in these sorts of plots. Hell, look at Dom and his friend in Gears of War - it got so bad between them that eventually the developers threw their hands up and added a bunch of are-they-aren't-they achievement names in the third game. :v:

Same with Army of Two come to think of it. Hell, in the second game your highest relationship value is "ambiguous". This sure as heck isn't a new thing just because the leads happen to be women.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So, what do you think the ballpark estimate is for Lara's kill count by endgame? Two hundred? Three hundred?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Speedball posted:

So, what do you think the ballpark estimate is for Lara's kill count by endgame? Two hundred? Three hundred?

Going by the achievement numbers for kills with certain weapons, I'd say that's about right.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

SurrealityCheck posted:

I wonder how long it would take to get down from the chasm ziggurat place to the PT boat.

But yeah, just finished this game up and really enjoyed it. The pacing was well done I thought, and it felt like being really immersed in a great movie. I hit some weird glitches in places though.

Is there any word on DLC yet?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Chillmatic posted:

The fact that there's no obvious love interest is a very interesting omission for any heroic story. Sure whiny dude complains a lot about how she never notices him, but this would sure puts an interesting spin on that whole thing. :v:

And this is exactly why I hate that people do this.

"There's no romantic interest! Ergo she must be a lesbian because it's IMPOSSIBLE for a character to have any sort of storyline which doesn't end up focused around their romance." It's as if people can't imagine two characters being close without them having sex. It also would be tiresome because it would once again imply that "get the girl" is a natural part of being a hero and you can only be a hero if you're looking to rescue a female love interest even if you're a woman.

The relationship between Sam and Lara is pretty drat sisterly. Not everything has to be about love interests. It wouldn't be wrong for Lara to be a lesbian but it would be if the reason people are coming up with is "Well, she doesn't hook up with a male character" or "these characters have a close relationship, ergo they must be in romantic love!"

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Mar 10, 2013

Above Our Own
Jun 24, 2009

by Shine
I have a copy of Tomb Raider (for Steam) that I want to trade for a Mists of Pandaria key.

e. Check my SA mart thread if you're interested http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3537620

Above Our Own fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 10, 2013

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009
Honestly I thought they were pretty intimate for friends.

Anyway how do I know I have the patch on PC?

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
I'm at the final boss so I've not seen the end that's being referred to but so far I've not seen anything at all that would indicate they are anything other than old friends. there's a picture of Lara and Sam in graduation attire in her locker when you go back to the endurance. That along with other bits of dialog indicate that they have been friends for sometime.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING
Doesn't Lara try to kiss Alex on the lips right before he bites it, or was I misinterpreting that movement?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cycloneman posted:

Doesn't Lara try to kiss Alex on the lips right before he bites it, or was I misinterpreting that movement?

She kisses his cheek.

Cycloneman
Feb 1, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT
SISTER FUCKING

ImpAtom posted:

She kisses his cheek.

He turns away at the last second, though.

e: Here's the exact scene.

Cycloneman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Mar 10, 2013

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011
This game is astonishingly dull. First game in a while that I will intentionally not be playing to the end. Kind of a shame, but whatever. It's certainly a step-up from the previous games. Hopefully the sequel is more interesting.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Cycloneman posted:

He turns away at the last second, though.

e: Here's the exact scene.

Looks like janky animation more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax
There's a lot of goons in this thread who apparently don't know any real life girls. There's nothing even resembling "romantic" or "lesbian" with Lara and Sam's friendship.

• Locked thread