Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

LordPants posted:

Anything by Masada - with a few slight exceptions everything they did was solid gold. It's a Jazz quartet they're all incredible musicians and there is enough free jazz to keep things lively. Highly highly recommended. Electric Masada is a different beast altogether, and a lot harsher on the ears so probably stay clear of that for a while unless you dig noise music (I'm not using that as a derogatory term, just that... that's what it is in spots).

Naked City is.... well. I think of it as The John Zorn album.

I really liked Filmworks: The Treatment

This is all fantastic advice and it is much appreciated. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Blast Fantasto posted:

Hank's best work was done in the pre-LP era, so you're best served by finding a really good compilation and starting from there.

If you're going from Spotify, "Gold" and "Turn Back the Years" have all the essential Hank songs.

EDIT:

To make that more clear, if you're actually buying a CD, go with something like "Gold" which is affordable and relatively concise.

If you have Spotify, load up "Turn Back the Years", hit shuffle and sit on your porch for two hours smoking and just drinking it in.
I'd add that most LPs I've found of his are essentially compilations anyway. So for the most part you can't go wrong

Sarkimedes
Jul 2, 2012
I don't think this has already come up in this thread, but if it has just shout at me a bit. Anyway, here goes:

Where do I start with New Order?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Sarkimedes posted:

I don't think this has already come up in this thread, but if it has just shout at me a bit. Anyway, here goes:

Power Corruption and Lies is my favorite album of all time, but Substance is the best starting point.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I believe it has come up before, but I can always talk about New Order. FitFortDanga is a super awesome person. Power Corruption and Lies is my favorite New Order album too, but Substance is easily the best starting point. It will contain all the classic singles. From there, check out Brotherhood and Technique as pristine examples of their dance pop ability. Low-Life is a great document as well, as it finds them moving away from their Joy Division roots and finding their own sound. Republic has their last truly great single, and while it contains some excellent tracks (and a wonderful closer) it's when they will start to show their age. The later albums (Get Ready, and Waiting for the Sirens Call) sound like a band unwilling to play with current sounds and for me they sound like Electronic b-sides with slightly beefier bass lines.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Sarkimedes posted:

As mentioned above, the Substance compilation is probably the one you want to start with. I'd say New Order are probably the quintessential singles band, so having all the A/B-sides up to '87 in one place is sheer perfection. Just a shame it doesn't stretch up to the Technique period, which was hands down their best album.

Anyway if you like what you hear on that I'd just go all out and pick up that original 80s four album run they had from Power, Corruption & Lies to Technique. Pretty much solid gold all the way. And yes I am saying you can skip their first album Movement. As decent as it is it's not quite fully formed.

e: beaten

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

Where do i start with Dinosaur Jr.?

They are a band I've heard about for so many years, but never really listened to until quite recently.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Hashtag Nascar posted:

They are a band I've heard about for so many years, but never really listened to until quite recently.

I would say Without a Sound would be the best place to start. I could be wrong though. After that, work you way back and then go forward. If worst comes to worst, you could start from the beginning with Dinosaur and then work forward.

Pogobubba
Jan 3, 2010

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Their entire catalog is pretty consistently good, but You're Living All Over Me is definitely the essential starting point.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

There's basically nothing Jr put out that's not worth listening to, which is nice---my favorite song they've done to this day is probably still "I Ain't Sayin'", off of Where You Been, but I would be more inclined to suggest You're Living All Over Me as the place to start as well. Without a Sound and the other 90s records are quite literally J Mascis solo records under the Jr name. They're not bad, but there's no Barlow and almost no Murph through the 90s output. They're still good, but again, not so much the place to start. Don't be afraid to grab their post-reunion albums, as well. They may not be mind-melting classics, but they're still excellent. Farm is probably the record of theirs I spin the most these days.

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

I listened to you're living all over me and thought it was pretty good, cheers!

beer pal
Mar 30, 2010

Where to start with Muslimgauze?

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

LordPants posted:

Where do I start with Widespread Panic?

I would just see them live. Like most jam bands, its not their album output that is the draw. Its the live experience of being surrounded by people who really enjoy the music/so strung out that they do not care anymore that really makes it special. But Don't Tell The Band is pretty good place to start album wise.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

feat. posted:

Where to start with Muslimgauze?

I am going to assume you are not used to his type of music. Start with Hamas Arc. It is pretty representative of his general style he goes with for most of his career and is pretty easy to get into. Get familiar with his drum work.

After that give Lofi India Abuse a listen. It will introduce his weird love for a distorted bass drum to you. Get used to that for some of his work as well as it can be a central feature in some of his releases. I am looking at you Damascus.

Ayatollah Dollar is a really good release that I have been listening to non stop since I found it. I would give it a listen next. Then probably The Veiled Sisters to give you an idea of what some of his early work sounded like with the use of synthesized keyboards.

Just be away he liked to revisit songs and do different things to them production wise.

edit: I am a firm believer that he is at his best when he is working with natural percussion.

Stravinsky fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 5, 2013

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!
Nina Simone?

I absolutely love "Just in Time", which was used in the final scene of the movie Before Sunset:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhqOHFUYtzI

VVV thank you!

Popcorn fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Mar 17, 2013

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Nina Simone Sings Nina

It's a hits compilation, and it's solid all around. It was my introduction to her probably 10 years ago, and has some of her best work.

http://www.amazon.com/Verve-Jazz-Masters-58-Simone/dp/B00000471I

sparksbloom
Apr 30, 2006
Okkervil River? I've really enjoyed Shearwater's work and I want to check out the place they come from.

Old Ash
Dec 29, 2012

Bleusman posted:

Okkervil River? I've really enjoyed Shearwater's work and I want to check out the place they come from.

I've been on an Okkervil River kick all this week, so I'll take a stab at this. I would say the common consensus is that you should start with The Stage Names, as that's their most popular/most accessible album. It's pretty upbeat and does a good job of showcasing a lot of the characteristics of the band (e.g. Will Sheff's vocals, his lyricism, instrumentation, etc.). However, Black Sheep Boy, the album previous to The Stage Names, is considered their best, as far as I can tell. It's much darker and not quite as upbeat, more folk-based. It's a lot rawer than the stuff that came after it, basically. And it's probably my favorite, honestly, and it feels like an album that you could really become obsessed with (not the best way to put it, but that's about as best I can), but The Stage Names is the album that got me listening to them.

Jonathan Meiburg of Shearwater stuck with Okkervil until 2008 or so, so he was a contributor to both those albums.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

If you want to go for the Shearwater connection The Stand Ins has the most obvious Meiburg influence in Lost Coastlines. Just don't start with their first 2 EP's which are really rough work or their last album (I Am Very Far) as its kinda mediocre. You can also go for the split EP with Shearwater called Sham Wedding/Hoax Funeral.

Lawless Laura Lee
Feb 13, 2012
Where do I start with 2pac?

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

Lawless Laura Lee posted:

Where do I start with 2pac?

Of the only 5 albums he released while he was alive (Plus "Thug Life"), his first 2pacalypse Now and his third-ish All Eyez On Me (a double disc release) are my favorites to start out on. 2pacalypse has "Brenda Has A Baby" and is him at his least self-aware since he's just getting started, and Eyez has "California Love" on it and due to its length can cover a lot more ground. The last one, The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory when he started rapping as Makaveli is pretty well-received too although I like Eyez better.

Of his posthumous stuff I really like the 2-disc Better Dayz for maybe doing the best at keeping his peak style together. Either Pac's Life or Loyal To The Game would be okay if you prefer newer or more modern rap music styles (the latter especially if you like Eminem's production style). Of course, they tend to lose a little since they're clearly just tracking around dry Tupac material instead of making new music with him, but they are fine on their own.

Did That on Television
Nov 8, 2004
lemonparties with wippersnapper
You need Me Against The World too, and it's worth noting that the US release of All Eyez On Me doesn't have the single version of "California Love" but a remix.

asap-salafi
May 5, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Where do I start with Elvis Costello? I've ignored him my entire life and I don't understand why. "I Want You" has to be one of the best songs ever.

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

asap-salafi posted:

Where do I start with Elvis Costello? I've ignored him my entire life and I don't understand why. "I Want You" has to be one of the best songs ever.

Either of his first two albums (My Aim Is True, This Year's Model) stand as perfect starting points, since they're two of the most perfect albums of his, or anyone's, career. To be honest, his albums through Imperial Bedroom are all essential listening (maybe not quite so much Almost Blue, but definitely everything else), with highlights becoming a bit more scattered afterward (though the album that "I Want You" is on, Blood and Chocolate, is definitely one of the better ones from that portion of his career).

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Blood and Chocolate is a marvelous album. I would suggest checking it out.

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012
Where do I start with Vampire Rodents?

whooping crane fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Apr 11, 2013

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Hashtag Nascar posted:

Green Mind is the best place to start.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012
I'm really into Autechre and I've been looking for neoclassical and jazz composers that scratch that same itch for complexity and dissonance. Only stuff I've found so far is Stravinsky, Shoenberg and Penderecki.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Gamma Nerd posted:

I'm really into Autechre and I've been looking for neoclassical and jazz composers that scratch that same itch for complexity and dissonance. Only stuff I've found so far is Stravinsky, Shoenberg and Penderecki.

Check out Conlon Nancarrow. Used player pianos to do things it would be difficult/impossible for a human performer to do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can anybody recommend me any live albums from the 1970s? I have a good few of the obvious culprits (Live At Leeds, Double Live Gonzo!, Frampton Comes Alive!, Live Killers, Made In Japan, You Get What You Play For, Captured and so on) but I'm interested in more obscure examples.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 25, 2013

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Les Rallizes Dénudés - '77 Live
Miles Davis - Pangaea and Agharta
Hawkwind - Space Ritual

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Metal Loaf posted:

Can anybody recommend me any live albums from the 1970s? I have a good few of the obvious culprits (Live At Leeds, Double Live Gonzo!, Frampton Comes Alive!, Live Killers, Made In Japan, You Get What You Play For, Captured and so on) but I'm interested in more obscure examples.

Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall

is my favorite live joint from the era if you're willing to step outside rock music.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Metal Loaf posted:

David Bowie - Santa Monica '72
Frank Zappa - You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore Vol. 2
Allman Brothers - At Fillmore East

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
All I know about Aimee Mann is she's doing a project with Ted Leo, and was on an episode of Portlandia. Beyond that she's just one of those names that I've always heard but never knew her music. Looking at Wiki I can see she's been around for way longer than I realized, so where do I start if I want to see if I dig her sound?

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Check out her first three solo albums (Whatever, I'm with Stupid, Magnolia) if you want her solo stuff. I'm horribly unfamiliar with most of her 'Til Tuesday stuff, but "Voices Carry" is a pretty awesome song so you might start with that album.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Blast Fantasto posted:

Bill Withers - Live at Carnegie Hall

is my favorite live joint from the era if you're willing to step outside rock music.

Sure, I'm always keen on soul music. Admittedly, I tend to prefer kind of 1960s southern soul (Stax, obviously, but my favourites are actually Wilson Pickett and Percy Sledge, both of whom recorded in Memphis at one time or another but were never signed with the label; certainly they're two of my favourite all-time singers, in any case).

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Metal Loaf posted:

Europe '72 :radcat:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Humble Pie's Performance, Genesis' Seconds Out

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'll be seeing Iron Maiden live in two months. I've only heard their most known songs. Where do I start? I want to at least recognize the songs played live, so I can have a good time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Skilleddk posted:

I'll be seeing Iron Maiden live in two months. I've only heard their most known songs. Where do I start? I want to at least recognize the songs played live, so I can have a good time!

A Real Live Dead One has all of their big songs up till the mid-90s, and you should be able to find everything on there on Youtube. I don't know where you'd go to find the best of their recent material, but I'd also be surprised if they're playing a lot of that.