Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
It says a lot about this comic that this is the most natural birth sequence we've seen yet, and it includes male pregnancy and space snakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Admiral Goodenough posted:

It says a lot about this comic that this is the most natural birth sequence we've seen yet, and it includes male pregnancy and space snakes.

Wait, how were you born? :confused:

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE

Color Printer posted:

And that's the story of how the biggest shithead ever to exist in paradox space came to be.

Wait, where do you see Cronus in this flashback? :crossarms:

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.
Well. Gamzee is Caliborn's stepfather by proxy, I guess.

Does that mean he's also the one who created the religion to which he so zealously adheres?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

This series of updates has produced some of the most :black101: images in the comic to date. Space snake crocodiles the length of the distance from earth to the sun fighting to the near death around a black hole? That's getting airbrushed on the side of my 80s van tonight.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Red miles, black inches, yellow yard, and now green AUs. At ~93 million miles per AU, that's the largest colored distance we've seen yet, by far!

We do have some question as to how the Cherubs began playing Sburb, plus the question of why our Cal pair were "never meant to play".
First question: GAMZEE. Plus the fact that Earth already has a Frog Temple from which to create the game portion of Sburb, and/or his own copy on his grubtop husktop!
Second question: ???

Did any of the other B1 Sburb players (e.g. the non-Rose GameFAQs writers) ever make it into the Medium, or did they all just play The Sims On Your Friend's House and get wiped out by a meteor without ever Entering? I think John and Rose had learned of the "your house goes dark and there's monsters" thing, but I might just be thinking of WV's exile commands to John and/or Dave's messages.

Ablative posted:

Does that mean he's also the one who created the religion to which he so zealously adheres?

That would certainly fit with the explicit ouroboros imagery!

Grace Baiting fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Mar 10, 2013

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

quote:

A fascin8ting thing a8out cheru8 reproduction is how the parent's alignment is passed on to the young. If the male lays the egg, the alignments of the child's two halves will 8e the same as the parents. If the female lays the egg, the alignments will 8e flipped, and the young male and female halves will 8e endowed with opposite alignments of the parents.

So who wants to bet that the thing that makes a fabled beta-Calliope "beta" not only that she predominated, but that she predominated because she was the evil one because their mother laid the egg?

Of course, we still have this ambiguous line:

quote:

8arring a highly impro8a8le glitch in causality, it would 8e almost impossi8le for her to predomin8te over someone like him.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
OK some points pulled from this text dump:

- Cherubs can apparently take the form of a giant space snake in order to breed. In this form, they cannot be harmed by anyone except their mating partner. (Don't forget that one of the items meenah found in her walkaround flash were giant green serpent bones. Also, aradia has stumbled across them in her past. It's unlikely that those were cherub bones because they are said to be 'an astronomical unit in length' but tehy could be related.

- Cherubs have a latent connection with a mysterious force that is eternal and is the source of all god tier immortality powers. They tap into this while they fight eachother in order to make sure that no other parties can get in the way of their battle. Note that aradia said 'Normally this power is only accessi8le to them during m8ting' which implies to me that these powers could also be tapped into someone else if they bend the rules, like for example, lord english.

- Cherubs have three forms they go through. They start off young looking like calliope / caliborn, and then if they properly mature then they will grow wings that resemble the symbol of the hope aspect. This winged form is their standard adult form, and they stay this way until they transform into their flying sex snake form. This only happens if they mature properly though, which I guess explains why lord english doesn't have them - caliborn never matured the correct way so he never earnt his wings.

- Calliope and Caliborn's dad laid their egg on B2 earth after he lost the battle with their mother. I guess this explains why they were living on earth, althoguh the fact that the meteor base is missing from this story confuses matters. It implies that once the makeout meteor crew evacuated it, the base was brought to earth specifically to house the cherub babies.

- The fact that such a terrifying and monstrous alien species was ever allowed to play a game of sburb is hosed up

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Abjad Soup posted:

Did any of the other B1 Sburb players (e.g. the non-Rose GameFAQs writers) ever make it into the Medium, or did they all just play The Sims On Your Friend's House and get wiped out by a meteor without ever Entering?

Rose indicated that it was the latter. (The trolls did too, but their testimony on the subject is pretty unreliable.)

Of course, then there was Fedorafreak.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
Maybe Lord English can tap into this power because he's in the mating state all the time? Wait, no, that's bad fanfiction.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Rooreelooo posted:

- The fact that such a terrifying and monstrous alien species was ever allowed to play a game of sburb is hosed up

It's also completely understandable, because they as a species are terrifying, monstrous, and apparently very, very powerful by default. Giving them access to Sburb-style power in addition to their inherent abilities is an obviously terrible idea.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
^^^I'd say its far closer to the idea that Sburb requires constant communication between partners and ancestors that is wholly incompatible with a solely solitary race.

So Caliborn never grew up, and cherubs mature into a giant space alligator for mating.

This sure seems like Peter Pan right now.

Also its pretty explicit (well, as explicit as this comic gets) that the Calliope everyone is looking for is going to be straight up Lady Masse. It does make you wonder what happens if both pairs of the mating are evil as all hell.

Detective Buttfuck
Mar 30, 2011

Now this is just getting silly. Giant space snakes?
Stick with what's relatable, Hussie: living, cursed, ventriloquest time lords :colbert:

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Mimir posted:

Maybe Lord English can tap into this power because he's in the mating state all the time? Wait, no, that's bad fanfiction.

Ugh... lord english is hell bent on hunting down and eliminating calliope's soul from the afterlife. That's why he's been popping dream bubbles - he's looking for her so he can kill her.

Maybe... god drat it i hate having to put this theory on the table but maybe the lord english vs calliope murder hunt falls under the category of a cherub mating ritual (whether he realises it or not), and as a result lord english is endowed with the immortality powers that come hand in hand with that. We haven't seen him in flying sex snake form yet and there's a strong indication that he won't be able to transform that way because of his stunted growth, but if that was true then it would imply that the only people who could kill this unkillable demon would be another cherub.

Unless the god tier sburb players can also kill him by being able to tap into the immortality sex zone? It was stated that this source of power permeates 'all those endowed with immortality'.

Rykert
Mar 13, 2010
The giant space dragon snake will make a super sweet final boss though.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Don't forget Lord English managed to teach his time-rainbow powers to at least two trolls. It's not just that he's tapping into his mating instincts.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ablative posted:

Murderclown posted:

TC: I FINALLY GOT MY MOTHERFUCKING UNDERSTAND ON TO WHO THE MIRTHFUL MESSIAHS ARE.
TC: they were always both me. :o)
TC: AND ALSO MOTHERFUCKING ME. Do:

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Does anyone recognise the symbol the two snakes form? I'd swear I've seen it before somewhere, but I'm not sure where...

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
I want someone to fly in on the back of Caliborn and Caliope's mothersnake, like on the dog from Never Ending Story.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

pumpinglemma posted:

Does anyone recognise the symbol the two snakes form? I'd swear I've seen it before somewhere, but I'm not sure where...

It's just an alternate ouroboros.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

pumpinglemma posted:

The AURYN from Neverending Story.

e: It also flashed in the trickster lollipop.

e2: Oh god, the trickster lollipop flashed the mating dance of cherubs. No wonder everyone would became infected by it wanted to get married and make babies.

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

pumpinglemma posted:

The Neverending Story?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

The trickster juju turned into a similar shape momentarily.

Never Odd or Even
Jan 21, 2009

This jerk again.
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

AURYN from the Neverending Story.
E:F,B.

Indie Rocktopus
Feb 20, 2012

In the aeroplane
over the sea

pumpinglemma posted:

The snakes also resemble the ornamentation on the sides of the God Tier resurrection clock.

Can't say I'm totally enthralled by the *WORLD-BUILDING* but the imagery of the battling space serpents is really evocative and appropriately mythic.

And I agree that LE is probably tapping into Cherub mating/God Tier immortality energy. The portrait Hussie's building is English as an enraged manchild, emotionally stunted and horny and perpetually pissed-off. For a story about Internet culture, that's a pretty appropriate final villain.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Cherub mating is probably the dumbest poo poo in Homestuck.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hussie just made us party to giant galactic space snake sex. What a wonderfully silly thing to have inflicted upon you.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Call Now posted:

So did you forget about the entirety of trickster mode or...

Between the caduceus/ophiuchus symbols, forked tongues and ourobouros/AURYN imagery I figured there was going to be something snake-related about the cherubs. Wasn't expecting this, though. It's an interesting contrast between their angelic adult form and the serpents, which are often associated with Satan/demonic forces.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Well, Hussie had to do something pretty monumental to make an alien race with a weirder reproductive cycle than the Trolls. A resounding success!

Also, Vriska would be super-pissed to find out that Gamzee is the one behind the *real* villain origin story.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
In case anyone forgot.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Call Now posted:

What's so dumb about it? I think it's neat.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Compared to poo poo from various mythologies (remember Homestuck having mythology-esque themes? That didn't stop being a thing) giant mating dueling snakes is pretty tame.

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011
What if Gamzee "extra-incubated" the egg by keeping it in his cod-piece? And he travelled around with it.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The colors of the energy used by cherubs in heat (what a terrible phrase) look practically the same as the Clockwork Majyyks that Lord English bestowed on his servants, a bit like to God Tier energy, and distinctly unlike Green Sun energy. We've remarked previously on the similarity between the "conditional immortality" provided by Quest Beds and Lord English, so that means something. The Green Sun appears to be a conscious imitation of green-aligned cherubs: it creates immortal, indestructible entities tasked with defending a particular region of space, who tap into an eternal power source that specifically "presides" over a domain.

In addition to predominating early, it seems Caliborn discovered how to tap into that energy without transforming. It's entirely possible that he will still transform at some point, because it would be a possible mythological reference: Thor (John) slaying Jormungand (a huge snake) with Mjolnir (a hammer) before dying from his injuries (???).

An angel without wings calls to mind A Wonderful Life, in which an angel earns his wings by revealing an alternate, inferior timeline in which a character was never born. We haven't seen any bells yet, but what with Calliope being certain that there's a predominant beta version of herself out there, I'll be quite surprised if one doesn't appear.

Gamzee, meanwhile, is less like the Mirthful Messiahs and more like a juggalo Joseph and Mary, or at least a clownish rear end in a top hat Balthazar, Melchior, and Caspar.

I'm quite interested to see where this all goes.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Rooreelooo posted:

Unless the god tier sburb players can also kill him by being able to tap into the immortality sex zone?

I think Homestuck has finally generated the ultimate sentence.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
So...then Caliborn and Calliope aren't paradox clones? This is just confusing, it's been said since Act 3 that every Sburb player is a paradox clone of themselves made of ectoslime. But here Caliborn and Calliope were born naturally. Am I mixing up information or not because if I'm not then either

A) Aranea's story is wrong because it makes no sense for them to be Sburb players if they were naturally conceived and not clones of themsleves.

B) This session won't be scratched at all. Which I think is a conclusion that can be drawn if the two Cherubs aren't clones.

(Also obligatory "male pregnancy in homestuck hahaha" goes here.)

Pentachronic Snail
Nov 2, 2011

lotus circle posted:

So...then Caliborn and Calliope aren't paradox clones? This is just confusing, it's been said since Act 3 that every Sburb player is a paradox clone of themselves made of ectoslime. But here Caliborn and Calliope were born naturally. Am I mixing up information or not because if I'm not then either

A) Aranea's story is wrong because it makes no sense for them to be Sburb players if they were naturally conceived and not clones of themsleves.

B) This session won't be scratched at all. Which I think is a conclusion that can be drawn if the two Cherubs aren't clones.

I don't think the normal Sburb rules apply to Caliborn's session... I can't say how exactly, but it isn't quite the same as the other sessions we're familiar with.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

lotus circle posted:

:eng101: Humorously enough, what is the point of calling them male and female anyway? They appear to be wholly hermaphroditic and sexual dimorphism seems to only exist in the color of their cheeks and blood.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

:eng101: Humorously enough, what is the point of calling them male and female anyway? They appear to be wholly hermaphroditic and sexual dimorphism seems to only exist in the color of their cheeks and blood.

We don't know why any of the aliens have gender, and the aliens don't appear to know why humans have gender either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
http://www.godchecker.com/pantheon/south_american-mythology.php?deity=CHERRUVES

quote:

Cherruves
Snake-like cosmic harbingers of doom
They are evil associates of PILLAN.

They are vile snakes with human-like faces who bring omens of shooting stars and comets. This in turn can only bring calamity and doom to any village pin-pointed.

:stare: huh. In any other comic I'd write it off as a coincidence, but...