Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

WashinMyGoat posted:

Depending on what you are looking to spend, the jump from Stanley to the Stanley Fat Max makes a world of difference. However, if you can get your hands on a Stabila tape measure, they are well worth the money. I have one at work, and it can stand out over 6 feet without bending. It's dual read (measurements on both sides of the blade) in English & Metric. My favorite features are the grit on the hook(so it doesn't slip off what you are measuring) and the shock absorber on the case, so if you let the blade return too fast, it doesn't bend or break the hook off.

http://www.amazon.com/Stabila-30327-27-Feet-Tape-Measure/dp/B0061ZZRCO/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1361045282&sr=1-1&keywords=stabila+tape

Oh I got the Fat Max. One thing I don't like about it though is that it doesn't have the 16" graduations for studs like my old Craftsman did, and I suck at the maths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
For months I've been watching for a decent used drill press at a good price and less than a week after buying one I'm offered a vintage Powermatic for only a bit more than I paid for the Jet/Orbit. One problem is my tool budget is busted for a few weeks. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Another problem is the PM has a 3phase motor.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

wormil posted:

For months I've been watching for a decent used drill press at a good price and less than a week after buying one I'm offered a vintage Powermatic for only a bit more than I paid for the Jet/Orbit. One problem is my tool budget is busted for a few weeks. I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry. Another problem is the PM has a 3phase motor.

I just bought a delta Rockwell 17 from garage journal. Three phase, 2 mt quill, floor model. I bought a teco fm 50 vfd for it. Between the big set of pulleys and the vfd, I'll be able to make it turn from 12 rpm to over 20,000. Don't be afraid of three phase. The vfd from dealers electric was $140. I paid $300 for the drill press with a 5/8 Jacobs chuck, and the guy is going to install the vfd and write up the on/off switch, speed dial, and a light for another $25.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It wouldn't actually run at 20krpm, though, right? I mean, theoretically yes, but realistically? I can't imagine it would be built to sustain that sort of speed. That's, like, router speeds, man. :stare:

Some day, I hope to have a shop with three phase. Maybe my next place.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Bad Munki posted:

It wouldn't actually run at 20krpm, though, right? I mean, theoretically yes, but realistically? I can't imagine it would be built to sustain that sort of speed. That's, like, router speeds, man. :stare:

Some day, I hope to have a shop with three phase. Maybe my next place.

Oh, it'd run at 20K RPM.

For about three seconds before the bearings on the quill melted.

I have no intentions of ever running this much faster than 60Hz, which is the stock speed. Maybe if I'm drilling a lot of small holes, I'll swap the belt drive up to the max speed, and bump the motor a little, but for the most part, I'm going to leave the belt in the middle and use the VFD to control the speed.

And VFD's do a better job at three phase than real three phase does. Variable speed, dynamic braking, E-stop that stops immediately, etc. Plus the usual three-phase features like instant reverse and less vibration.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
I meant to post this earlier in the season but forgot. If the following show is coming to your city soon, drop $12 and walk around this show: http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/shows.htm

There's too many pen-turning vendors, but there's still a bunch of cool wood shop poo poo going down here. I also have an addiction for Bosch 18v cordless tools, and over the course of a few years I've saved hundreds of dollars buying them on-site at this show directly from Bosch, rather than online or through a retailer. Sometimes you have to do some UPC code mail-in bullshit, but I got a free jigsaw by jumping through their hoops.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded
I'm re-doing all the floors in my upstairs, switching carpet for click bamboo. Went great, but then I had to put baseboards back on. Putting baseboards back on with a hammer kind of really sucks. (or I really suck at it) So I went to HD to rent a brad nailer. The wanted 35 dollars a day.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pneumatic-2-in-18-gauge-brad-nailer/813941

You can buy one on sale for $19.88 cad right now. I'm no contractor, but for baseboards this thing has been fantastic! I have no idea what else you would use a brad nailer for.. but it does seem like a good buy, so I thought I would post it. I could not find one that felt this solid for anywhere under $80.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

Rodney Chops posted:

I'm re-doing all the floors in my upstairs, switching carpet for click bamboo. Went great, but then I had to put baseboards back on. Putting baseboards back on with a hammer kind of really sucks. (or I really suck at it) So I went to HD to rent a brad nailer. The wanted 35 dollars a day.

http://www.homedepot.ca/product/pneumatic-2-in-18-gauge-brad-nailer/813941

You can buy one on sale for $19.88 cad right now. I'm no contractor, but for baseboards this thing has been fantastic! I have no idea what else you would use a brad nailer for.. but it does seem like a good buy, so I thought I would post it. I could not find one that felt this solid for anywhere under $80.

HDX seems to be Home Depot's new "Store Brand." The tools they are selling under the HDX brand are identical in design to the Workforce brand tools they used to/currently sell, just with a slightly different color scheme... Great priced tools for occasional use, but do not expect them to be a long lasting with frequent use.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

kid sinister posted:

Oh I got the Fat Max. One thing I don't like about it though is that it doesn't have the 16" graduations for studs like my old Craftsman did, and I suck at the maths.

Nevermind, it does have the 16" graduations, I'm just blind apparently.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

iForge posted:

HDX seems to be Home Depot's new "Store Brand." The tools they are selling under the HDX brand are identical in design to the Workforce brand tools they used to/currently sell, just with a slightly different color scheme... Great priced tools for occasional use, but do not expect them to be a long lasting with frequent use.

My impression was that they were the same as the Husky line - could be wrong, might be Workforce too, I haven't bought any Workforce products IIRC.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone familiar with Baileigh Industrial tools? Apparently they are better known in metal working but have moved into woodworking.

https://www.baileighindustrial.com

Colonel K
Jun 29, 2009
Their tube benders and cold saws are pretty good and are certainly well regarded.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

kastein posted:

My impression was that they were the same as the Husky line - could be wrong, might be Workforce too, I haven't bought any Workforce products IIRC.

I bought a Workforce screwdriver multipack on sale ($10) a few years ago so I could have some screwdrivers that I didn't mind chiseling with and hammering on. The handles on them are just about identical to the new HDX ones, but instead of gray/yellow on the Workforce ones, the HDX has gray/orange. Im going to Home Depot tomorrow and I will get a closer look at their other products.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You know, if you're gonna be chiseling things you should probably just buy a chisel. It works a lot better than a screwdriver.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Chisels don't fit in ignition cylinders as well. :colbert:

Seriously, though, chisels are usually a lot more awkward to hold. Give me a cheap full-tang screwdriver with a solid handle any day.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

You know, if you're gonna be chiseling things you should probably just buy a chisel. It works a lot better than a screwdriver.

I do electrical work. Its much easier to remove knockouts in panels and boxes with a flathead screwdriver than a chisel. The Klein screwdrivers that I use have a lifetime warranty as long as you don't chisel with them. They won't replace them if the plastic end is mushroomed over. That is why I buy the cheap ones. Because of my metalworking hobby, I probably have more chisels than any one man could ever need, I just prefer the screwdriver for electrical work.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I keep a few lovely cheap flat blade screwdrivers around for that reason exactly. Though a phillips and a framing hammer will get knockouts started no problem (go from the inside out) too.

Flat blade screwdrivers are great for getting u-joint cap retention clips out of rusted axleshafts and driveshafts, too. Good solid whack from a BFH to loosen the cap and give the clip some space to move, then pry it out and you're done.

And yeah, it turns out I do own a set of workforce screwdrivers and pliers. I completely forgot about those till you mentioned the gray/yellow theme.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I have this set of Wera screwdrivers with pound-thru blades, they're awesome.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone familiar with the old Craftsman/King Seeley 103 wood lathes? Someone local has one for sale cheap. I love the look of these old lathes especially when they are restored but this one is missing the headstock handwheel which might be tough to replace. Obviously wouldn't be turning bowls on it but it looks great for spindle work.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Found a Dewalt DC740KA cordless drill/driver, charger and dewalt torch in a skip (dumpster) outside my work last night. As I pulled it out a guy came out to chuck some old carpet.

"Is this supposed to be in here?"
"Yeah, the switch on top is hosed."

Took it home, took it apart. Yep, that ratio switch is hosed, but just the switch, not the gear box. Its a 2 quid part. Better than that, I poked my head in the skip again in this afternoon when it was more light and found a Bosch pro orbital sander in there too. It works fine, one of the bearings is a bit noisy, another cheap fix.

To celebrate, I'm going to gift on my (inferior but still very good) Ryobi drill driver to someone who needs one.

Today was a good day.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Finally got my penis pump set up! It's been sitting in the box since Christmas.

Already gained an inch.

In diameter.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Your post reminds me: Recommendations for a dust collector? I'm building a new shop and want to put one in.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'll let you know about this one once I've had a chance to actually use it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

wormil posted:

Anyone familiar with the old Craftsman/King Seeley 103 wood lathes? Someone local has one for sale cheap. I love the look of these old lathes especially when they are restored but this one is missing the headstock handwheel which might be tough to replace. Obviously wouldn't be turning bowls on it but it looks great for spindle work.

I've been looking for one of these style lathes for a while now, and if you look on Ebay you can usually find a lot of parts for these lathes. I would say check ebay for that part first, then buy. If it's anything like the usual Craftsman quality of the era it will be an excellent tool that will last forever.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

ExplodingSims posted:

I've been looking for one of these style lathes for a while now, and if you look on Ebay you can usually find a lot of parts for these lathes. I would say check ebay for that part first, then buy. If it's anything like the usual Craftsman quality of the era it will be an excellent tool that will last forever.

Thanks. I had planned on going to look at it today but the day went from having nothing to do to being busy all day and I didn't get a chance.

Also...

I need to build a new stand for my 3/4 size drill press and I'm wondering how tall other people like their presses? A full size Jet has the feed arm quill/hub thing about armpit height (on me) which seems about right, but wondering if a bit taller would be better. Also wondering if there are any good ideas for the base beyond a basic cabinet with drawers. Should it be weighted since the press is kind of top heavy?

wormil fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 4, 2013

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

the spyder posted:

Your post reminds me: Recommendations for a dust collector? I'm building a new shop and want to put one in.

I've got the same dust collector as Bad Munki (Harbor Freight 2HP) and it works really well. I just couldn't justify paying big bucks for the Jet model. For $229 with a 20% off coupon at HF this does all and more than I could ever need.

Do yourself a favor and build a cyclone separator to go along with your dust collection -> http://www.jpthien.com/cy.htm

It just installs inline with a 55 gallon Rubbermaid trashcan and will save you $$$ by not having to replace your collection bags and filters so often.

The only downside is you'll be rummaging through the hose adapter bins at woodworking stores figuring out ways to connect all your power tools back to the dust collector!

wormil posted:

Also...

I need to build a new stand for my 3/4 size drill press and I'm wondering how tall other people like their presses? A full size Jet has the feed arm quill/hub thing about armpit height (on me) which seems about right, but wondering if a bit taller would be better. Also wondering if there are any good ideas for the base beyond a basic cabinet with drawers. Should it be weighted since the press is kind of top heavy?

Funny you mention that, my weekend project was getting a stand together for my lunchbox planer that lived on the floor for too long. I ended up going to Harbor Freight and getting one of their universal tool stands for $35 with a piece of ply on top and it works great!

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-inch-heavy-duty-tool-stand-95128.html

johnnyonetime fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 4, 2013

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

If you look around, you can probably just find a universal cyclone lid for a waste bin, that's what I did, I think mine was like $20, not including fittings.

And yeah, that collector up there is from HF. I actually got it for even more off, I think it was $180 before tax, because it was on sale and there was a coupon on the website, and they actually stacked, so I couldn't pass up the deal.

Next up, I want to get an air cleaner to go with this, one of those deals that just bolts to the ceiling.

e: One thing I will say about that HF collector: it's actually not near as loud as I expected. I mean, it's not like it's super quiet, it's got a big loving 55 pound motor on it, but once it's spun up, it's not bad at all. I was originally planning on putting it in a little sub-room off my basement under my front porch (cement walls on all 6 sides) and running a port through the wall into my garage, but now having fired it up a couple times, I'm just going to wheel it into a corner and calling it good.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 4, 2013

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

johnnyonetime posted:

Funny you mention that, my weekend project was getting a stand together for my lunchbox planer that lived on the floor for too long. I ended up going to Harbor Freight and getting one of their universal tool stands for $35 with a piece of ply on top and it works great!

http://www.harborfreight.com/29-inch-heavy-duty-tool-stand-95128.html

With a 20% off coupon it would only be $25, it's a bit tall but otherwise looks like a good deal. Rather than build a new stand I've decided to widen the base of the existing stand and add some height while I'm at it.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Bad Munki posted:

Next up, I want to get an air cleaner to go with this, one of those deals that just bolts to the ceiling.
I built one using a furnace blower; it works great and the most expensive part was the furnace filter. I havent bolted it to the ceiling as I haul it around the house when Im doing a dust-producing home improvent.

I'm probably going to build another one to use a 20x25x4" filter

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

dyne posted:

I built one using a furnace blower; it works great and the most expensive part was the furnace filter. I havent bolted it to the ceiling as I haul it around the house when Im doing a dust-producing home improvent.

I'm probably going to build another one to use a 20x25x4" filter

That's pretty cool, could you take a picture of the finished product? I have a picture in my head of what it would look like but I wanted to make sure it matches up.

Did you use a squirrel cage style blower like this?
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DAYTON-PSC-Blower-1TDR6?Pid=search

Also, what did you construct the box out of?

Daggerpants
Aug 31, 2004

I am Kara Zor-El, the last daughter of Krypton
Still trolling CL for a table saw. This just came up -> http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3659685895.html

Elston Gunn
Apr 15, 2005

Daggerpants posted:

Still trolling CL for a table saw. This just came up -> http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/3659685895.html

If it's in your budget that's a pretty good deal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So I really want to buy this Makita impact driver
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXDT08...pact+driver+kit
(I would need to get the kit cause I don't have any Makita 18v stuff yet)

But it's $297, while the kit that comes with exactly the same stuff plus a drill and another battery is $299
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXT239...a+impact+driver

What the hell's going on here? The choice is obvious, but I really just want the impact driver and would happily save $150 to not get the extra drill and battery. But that doesn't seem to be possible?

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Sagebrush posted:

So I really want to buy this Makita impact driver
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXDT08...pact+driver+kit
(I would need to get the kit cause I don't have any Makita 18v stuff yet)

But it's $297, while the kit that comes with exactly the same stuff plus a drill and another battery is $299
http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXT239...a+impact+driver

What the hell's going on here? The choice is obvious, but I really just want the impact driver and would happily save $150 to not get the extra drill and battery. But that doesn't seem to be possible?

Nope, that doesn't make any sense.

It's possible if you ebay the drill and extra battery. You should get close to 150 from that. Or ebay your old drill and take the upgrade to brushless. I did a lot of ebaying to build up a milwaukee M12 and M18 collection exactly the way I wanted. The prices on the kit force you to do that sometimes.

Or buy this in the next 12 minutes and save $80 on both...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Makita-LXT2...=item460cc0c75b

asdf32 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 8, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, there are already snipers bidding that thing up by the second. I did notice that on Amazon I can get the 2-tool kit refurbished for $235. That's almost reasonable, since an extra battery is like 60 dollars on its own, and it would be nice to have two...hmm. Does that sound like a safe way to go?

I'm trying to figure it out and I still really don't get what's going on economically, though. Either they make a cheap version of the tool for the 2-kit, which worries me, or they sell the kit at cost and just massively gouge people who want to buy individually, because there's no way that the three dollar difference is enough of an upsell for them to make an overall profit and you'd be a fool to NOT get the 2-kit. Makita wouldn't manufacture a cheaped-out and a high-quality version of the same model number, right? I have an old NiCd drill of theirs and it's been nothing but excellent.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
It's just the way of the tool world. Hell, I remember seeing HD selling a DeWalt 12V drill/impact kit for $199 at the same time that they had a 12V drill/impact/recip kit for $179. And the drill & impact in both kits were the same.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

Update, I bought this today for $50, it came with a spur, dead center, 2 face plates and a motor; it ran fine so I think it was a good deal. [1952 price w/ motor was $65.50 + $4.98 ($2.49 x 2 faceplates)] Just needs a little TLC. It's actually bronze, not grey like the picture. Unfortunately the original step pulley with indexing holes must have been replaced. (edit: just moved away from the indexing pin for whatever reason)

Edit, more info: Sears Craftsman 9x30 bench lathe model 103.23870, #1 MT head and tailstock, 9" swing, 30" between centers; manufacture date unknown, probably 50's. I don't have any good pictures yet but here is one restored by someone else.
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=14260

wormil fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Mar 10, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I did notice that on Amazon I can get the 2-tool kit refurbished for $235

Well, I bought it. Hooray! Should be here sometime next week, in time for me to get to work in earnest on rebuilding my motorcycle. Looking forward to making lots of different tools spin around and around :rock:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Noctone posted:

It's just the way of the tool world. Hell, I remember seeing HD selling a DeWalt 12V drill/impact kit for $199 at the same time that they had a 12V drill/impact/recip kit for $179. And the drill & impact in both kits were the same.

I've noticed that AU toolshops are importing drill/driver sets from the US, selling the individual tools in their stores (without 120V chargers) at a profit, then selling the batteries on ebay. Presumably this keeps them in the good graces of the manufacturers as well as a tidy profit on the side. And the batteries are actually cheaper than Amazon's or fake's, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:
I REALLY wish manufacturers would come up with standard li-ion batteries. We have AA, AAA, C, D, etc., that everyone uses; why the hell can't we do that with rechargeables?