Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I finally got my n7 back and downloaded and installed kopp but can't bring myself to start over. The traveling is also super tedious. I miss it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Holy poo poo, they still haven't deleted it?! How did you even find it? :tinfoil:

I guess this means he's given up on just balancing the current one. Oh well.

Profile -> AIM -> forum account elsewhere -> other SN -> Myspace -> triond -> etc etc etc

I don't have enough hobbies. Sorry. That's some interesting music there.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to the people in this thread who recommended KoPP and pixel dungeon. Having an absolute blast with these, and wasting far too much free time.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Never heard of this but it owns. Buy it.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Likewise. Bought it 10 minutes ago. It's pretty fun so far.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Kheldarn posted:

There's a Dungelot 2 in the works. From what the Dev said, you will only be able to avoid fights for so long, before one will auto-start.

And a new mechanic, grates that lock off items. You have to find the level to access the item. Interesting.
Nice so I guess he's done with the first one and I don't need to bother buying the sequel.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

andrew smash posted:

Speaking of KoPP, I just swapped my rogue (from a knight/hunter/necro/rogue/bard lineup) for a barbarian out of curiosity and I kind of regret it. I'm thinking of deleting him again and just power leveling a new rogue back up with greater xp potions.

Swap the knight out for the new rogue, never look back as you stomp over the entire game

kstatix posted:

I finally got my n7 back and downloaded and installed kopp but can't bring myself to start over. The traveling is also super tedious. I miss it though.

There's some item that you can buy for the room that reduces travel time by 50%. I think it's one of the DM's. I just swap that in and out as needed.

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
I'm so goddamn awful a Pixel Dungeon, I can't seem to get anywhere with it.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Kharmakazy posted:

Yeah, nobody ever reads books twice. The only reason to buy them is to put them on a shelf to show off, and occasionally lend to a friend. I stopped buying books years ago. Everything I want to read makes it to my local library fairly quickly, and whatever doesn't.. well.

The entire book industry is sort of a middleman scam for the publishers anyway. They fix the prices and the authors don't see any extra money because of it. Bugger that.

At least I play my games more than once.

Counterpoint: self publishing had lead to some truly unforgivable ebooks.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Saint Darwin posted:

Counterpoint: self publishing had lead to some truly unforgivable ebooks.

Had lead?

There are some unforgivable books WITH publishers. The market takes care of that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Kharmakazy posted:

Had lead?

There are some unforgivable books WITH publishers. The market takes care of that.

Ideally, working with a publisher means working with an editor, which should lead to a better book. However terrible say, Snooki's book is., imagine if she realized a bunch of people would buy whatever she dribbled out onto a self-publishing website.

And alternatively, Cash, By Johnny Cash is an amazing book, and I doubt Johnny Cash came up with the idea of getting a ghost-writer to help him write his life story in something that sounds very similar to his own voice, on his own.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
No seriously, imagine Snooki's writing if she didn't have an editor at all.

Cousin Todd
Jul 3, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Ideally, working with a publisher means working with an editor, which should lead to a better book. However terrible say, Snooki's book is., imagine if she realized a bunch of people would buy whatever she dribbled out onto a self-publishing website.

And alternatively, Cash, By Johnny Cash is an amazing book, and I doubt Johnny Cash came up with the idea of getting a ghost-writer to help him write his life story in something that sounds very similar to his own voice, on his own.

I think we may be too far off topic to continue this discussion here...

but who cares if publishers can serve a useful purpose? If you write a lovely book nobody is going to buy it. You won't keep writing them, because you didn't make any money. If a publisher comes up with a great way to make a great book, then awesome. The market will reward them and the writer. The problem comes in because publishers have established monopolistic business practices, fixing prices, and various other shenanigans... simply because they can. There is a place for publishers, but they insist that that place is everywhere, and most especially directly between authors and their money.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

Guilty posted:

Swap the knight out for the new rogue, never look back as you stomp over the entire game

There's some item that you can buy for the room that reduces travel time by 50%. I think it's one of the DM's. I just swap that in and out as needed.

Its not so much the travel time. Its the fact that I can't just click on my destination and have it just take me there. I have to hit every stepping stone on the way. I don't mind the roll of the dice happening during travel time. I love the game otherwise, but I remember the last time I played I was pretty tired and I got so sick of the clunky traveling mechanic that I wasn't nearly as anxious to play it when I had some free time the next day. And then I rooted my n7 and lost everything. I think I'll pick it up again when I beat puzzle quest 2.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

kstatix posted:

Its not so much the travel time. Its the fact that I can't just click on my destination and have it just take me there.
This was the worst part of the game for me, especially since it will regularly make you go halfway across the map.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Even with the Google region block for the first year and a half I had my device (the government finally stopped fighting Google here), I still managed to spend more than a few bucks through Amazon and whenever I happened to be in the US. It's weird that even though Google apps are generally much cheaper than anything else, I hem and haw way more before committing to a purchase there than I do for a full retail game or a beer. I think the problem is that when I drop $40 on a Nintendo title, I know it's going to be quality, but with apps, I'm really shooting in the dark.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

precision posted:

I guess this means he's given up on just balancing the current one. Oh well.

This would be a real pisser and make another purchase unlikely. The game was a lot more fun when he originally posted it here.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Splizwarf posted:

This would be a real pisser and make another purchase unlikely. The game was a lot more fun when he originally posted it here.
I got more fun out of the first one than games I've paid $40 for, and it was only a buck. I'll probably buy the second one.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
I got some fun out of it for a couple days and then he started tinkering with it, alternating between unfun very easy and unfun very hard. Then it stopped saving my progress when I switched to other apps, so I quit and started waiting for you guys to say good things about it again.

If you look back in the thread, I was an evangelical supporter originally; it's just been all downhill from there. The news about him working on a sequel reads like "Welp, can't fix this mess. Hey, let's leave this here, start over, and get paid again" like the Swiftkey thing. I hope that's not actually what's happened. Maybe he'll stop by and explain.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why aren't there more 4X games on Android/iOS? The touchscreen interface is basically the perfect thing for them, and yet...

I want MoO2 on Android. :smith:

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Geektox posted:

There's a port of the card game Dominion on the Play store. Pretty fun way to kill a few minutes/hours/weeks

If you're talking about Androminion, it's apparently going to be removed from the market soon, as Rio Grande is making an official port.

I assume its open-source continuation will remain available for sideloading however.

Fuzz posted:

I have MoO2 on Android. I play it when I want a break from playing Civ2 on Android. :smug:

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Mar 10, 2013

kstatix
Mar 20, 2006

I'm gonna get in on book of heroes with you guys. Anyone have a referral code? Do I just use those friend ids posted earlier?

E: ah nvm this is for their venan Id thing

kstatix fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Mar 10, 2013

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Any recommendations along the lines of Machinarium?

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Why aren't there more 4X games on Android/iOS? The touchscreen interface is basically the perfect thing for them, and yet...

It's doable with DOSbox Turbo, It's not ideal but it does work just fine.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Cakefool posted:

Any recommendations along the lines of Machinarium?

As in adventure games? They're not really the same style, but what about the Broken Sword games?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Fuzz posted:

You and me both. There is just nothing worth playing on Android, I guess unless you like word games or something?

I'm also a little dejected to find that most of the games are just F2P microtransaction scams that spam my notification tray with poo poo. Why is the game market so full of crap?

But back to your issue, are there ANY 4x games? I had the same problem trying to find a simcity type game but no luck, the Kairosoft one didn't do it for me.

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

I'm also a little dejected to find that most of the games are just F2P microtransaction scams that spam my notification tray with poo poo. Why is the game market so full of crap?

It's full of crap because Zynga convinced everyone that F2P with progression-based microtransactions is the future, never mind that Zynga's had constant financial problems for quite a long time now, and that the model only works long term if you're constantly pumping out new games to ride the initial cash influx from impulse buys. It's gotten to the point where I'm hesitant even picking up paid apps simply because so many of them are started to have an IAP scheme on top of the purchase price that's aggressive enough to pretty much require dropping more cash to get anywhere. It's right up there with "I'm going to release an alpha/beta version and charge you to test it for me" on my list of things that I hate about the gaming industry.

As far as 4X games, not really. There's some really basic ones... Star Colonies comes to mind. Really though if you're wanting good 4x games just load up DosboxTurbo and go to town.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Cmdr. Shepard posted:

Or, it's because it's the only way to make money in the mobile space. If you can only sell your game for $0.99, you can't afford to market it well enough to get people to buy it unless you accidentally strike gold. Nobody will know about your game otherwise. If I have friends that recommend a free game to me where it helps them out to be a part of it (like Puzzles and Dragons) then they can get enough people to start playing it to have that 1% spend enough to keep up for the ones who don't. Puzzle and Dragons hooked me with great game play and somehow I've spent :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: :10bux: on it.

TLDR: If you want to be pissy about anything, be pissy because the game itself is poo poo, not because they're using a payment model that works in the mobile space.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Did anyone make a book of heroes goon guild?

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Not sure if there is a goon guild or thread for Book of Heroes yet, but my hero code is 397337672, if anyone wants to add me. Just started today.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
I'll make a Goonsquad as soon as this raid I'm in ends. It's speedrun weekend so people are mostly jumping from guild to guild getting as much raid money as possible right now.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Dungelot said he's thinking F2P for the sequel with an "unlock everything" in app purchase or ala carte. This is the best of both worlds folks have been dreaming of, yes?

I don't think I can pay for this dude's stuff upfront again. Like other people have said, he made a ton of changes to fix/improve the first one without making it any better at all. That drat game had so much potential.

Merrill Grinch
May 21, 2001

infuriated by investments
Book of Heroes chat:

I made a Goonsquad for the game. To find us:

1) Click the Guild button in the bottom menu.
2) Click "Join Guild".
3) Put "Goonsquad" in the search box and then hit the search button right next to it.
4) Click the guild.
5) Click "apply" at the bottom.

First raid is just starting! When you get in, you might want to change from the global channel to the guild channel so you can be annoyed by portal messages that aren't relevant until you hit L18 apparently.

Merrill Grinch fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 10, 2013

Seksiness
Aug 24, 2006
I screwed your grandma and all I got was this lousy custom title... and herpes
This Book of Heroes is actually quite good. Hasn't thrown me into a brick wall like more f2p games on android tend to. I've applied to join the guild.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?
Just accepted to the guild. Looks like a raid is starting in like 1 minute. Get in here, guys!

l0lwhat
Mar 30, 2005

Who touched my nuts?
I applied too.

EDIT: Actually had to join another guild for a quick raid, gonna be applying later again, ingame name is Kez

l0lwhat fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 10, 2013

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

I love to play games. I will jump in with Book of Heros with you crazy kids. Any big build advice?

My ID is 141 288 761. Friend it up.

Snowmankilla fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Mar 10, 2013

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Book of heroes is definitely awesome. I picked the rogue guy and am doing pretty well after stacking a bunch of passive skills on him.

Maybe someone more experienced with the game should make a dedicated thread?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Splizwarf posted:

I got some fun out of it for a couple days and then he started tinkering with it, alternating between unfun very easy and unfun very hard. Then it stopped saving my progress when I switched to other apps, so I quit and started waiting for you guys to say good things about it again.

If you look back in the thread, I was an evangelical supporter originally; it's just been all downhill from there. The news about him working on a sequel reads like "Welp, can't fix this mess. Hey, let's leave this here, start over, and get paid again" like the Swiftkey thing. I hope that's not actually what's happened. Maybe he'll stop by and explain.

Wait, what's the story about Swiftkey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is book of heroes doable as an ultra-casual game or do you have to grind it? If I can pick it up and play for a few minutes a day and still contribute to the guild I will definitely join.

• Locked thread