Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Speaking of fur. How often do you have to brush him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

Hdip posted:

At least once a day.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour

Saint Darwin posted:

Do they ever like to be pet by their owners? A fluffdog who could sit there while we watch TV and get pets is basically a perfect dog.

If all you want is a really chill dog, would you consider adopting a more senior dog from a shelter?

We adopted our eight year old Alaskan Malamute last November and he is the best dog. His front teeth are pretty worn down and he has mild arthritis in his back, but otherwise he has a clean bill of health. He and the cat are best friends (see my post on the last page for an adorable picture), he is super chill, he loves pets and he loves jumping up on the bed for full-body cuddles, and while he is shy around strangers he has never been aggressive or bitey, and he almost never barks. If I'm being boring, he will go do his own thing and lay down in his favorite spot, but the second you want to give him attention, he loves it. He's super calm, he is able to stay loose in the house while we are at work with no problem, and he's just the best. The end.

And just look at how cute...

It's amazing what you can find at the animal shelter.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

HEGEL SMOKE A J posted:

His ears are huge. Chow ears are bigger than they look, but they're still small and thick, not big and thin.

I meant the shape. The wide base and rounded tip of the pinna like that is much more characteristic of a chow than a husky. Obviously they are a blend of chow and husky (because that's generally how genetics works), but they are reminiscent of larger scale chow ears IMO.

Also the ears are set wider on the skull than a husky's.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Feb 21, 2013

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Topoisomerase posted:

I meant the shape. The wide base and rounded tip of the pinna like that is much more characteristic of a chow than a husky. Obviously they are a blend of chow and husky (because that's generally how genetics works), but they are reminiscent of larger scale chow ears IMO.

His ears are so stupid :3:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Saint Darwin posted:

I gotta say, Chows sound like the kind of dog I want. I don't have the ability to take a dog out for long runs and walks, of course I can walk them at least once a day and whenever a dog is going down, it would be in a place where we have a yard, and they can't really jump.

I don't know, I'm pretty chill, I want a chill dog. If we have people over I will of course say do not touch the bear. I assume if I raised one from a puppy it would tolerate the cat (who would probably ignore it anyway) and ignore the guinea pigs?

Do they ever like to be pet by their owners? A fluffdog who could sit there while we watch TV and get pets is basically a perfect dog.
They like to get pet in my experience. My mom's Chow will bump your hand with her nose until you scratch her head. Then when she's done getting her head scratched she'll lie down near you and you can screw around with her fur and fuzzy ears if you feel like it.

As far as laziness is concerned, she has bad knees, but she'll still snap lizards up out of their holes if you walk her in a vacant lot. So, not completely sedentary. Edit: She enjoys exercise but it won't ruin everyone's day if she doesn't get walked one day.

Koivunen posted:

If all you want is a really chill dog, would you consider adopting a more senior dog from a shelter?
You should do this anyway, it gives them a great second chance. (If you have your heart set on a Chow--and really, who could blame you, they are objectively the best--you could think about getting an older dog from a breed-specific rescue organization.)

Hdip posted:

You should basically never stop????

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 21, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

TVs Ian posted:

His ears are so stupid :3:

they are silly looking but very charming IMO :3:

I lurk this thread because I've a major weakness for primitive breeds (and LGDs which might as well be) and have fostered them in the past but in the end I don't really have the time to put into earning and retaining the trust of a primitive breed dog so I'll just continue to ogle all of yours while keeping an appropriately biddable little red tolling dog in my own house. :v:

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

"Oh, these coldcuts were yours?"

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

Koivunen posted:

We adopted our eight year old Alaskan Malamute last November and he is the best dog. His front teeth are pretty worn down and he has mild arthritis in his back, but otherwise he has a clean bill of health. He and the cat are best friends (see my post on the last page for an adorable picture), he is super chill, he loves pets and he loves jumping up on the bed for full-body cuddles, and while he is shy around strangers he has never been aggressive or bitey, and he almost never barks. If I'm being boring, he will go do his own thing and lay down in his favorite spot, but the second you want to give him attention, he loves it. He's super calm, he is able to stay loose in the house while we are at work with no problem, and he's just the best. The end.

The only reason I'd want a puppy is to in the end have a dog that was well trained (or if he wasn't I could only blame myself), so yeh, I would if I could find The Right Dog.

edit: OK, to go HOLY poo poo PUPPY and smoosh its face is a reason too I guess, but not a big enough reason.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

We got Buddy when he was about 5. Previous owner had to give him back to the rescue due to an injury. House broken, crate trained, and even some very basic obedience (although we put in a lot of work to cement the rules). Adult dogs are less work and more focused for training than ADD puppies. They're also already past any surprise stages that might come with puberty, and with older dogs you have an idea of their health as well. You definitely don't want to discount finding a good, older dog!

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

My dog thinks he's a pretty lady.

Truth! I got Koji a little younger through my rescue, at a year and a half, but he was already past all the horrible stages (which to this day I don't understand why then, they just finished the hard parts of my amazedog's growing up!) Some of the best dogs I've met have been through my rescue and have been older, say 5-7 years old. They are still really energetic without being a pain in the rear end, and you know what their personalities are like. Don't get me wrong, I love my puppy to death, but I am still half expecting her to explode at any time and become a nightmare, and I never had to experience that with Koji or my fosters. Puppies are hella work and a new dog can sometimes be just as bad except they can hold it longer and sometimes already come trained. Koji knew sit and how to walk well on a leash, which I think is one of the most important skills. Ellie is like a go machine that is the most impatient creature in the world. She also thinks walk time is bite Koji's face time and run around my legs etc. She is also less than 10 lbs and I keep stepping on her when she does that. :saddowns: Also teeth.

They were BOTH annoyed at me because I was making them sit and wait for a picture during walkies. This was literally the best one of the dozen I took.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

paisleyfox posted:

They were BOTH annoyed at me because I was making them sit and wait for a picture during walkies. This was literally the best one of the dozen I took.

Hahaha oh my gooodd they are so grumpy! :3: This is an adorable picture.

RE obedience. Goliath knows no tricks and no commands besides "come here." When we got him, he liked to pull when walking, but I took the time to try to train him to stop pulling by doing a 180 and walking the other direction when he pulled. He was actually getting the hang of it, but my boyfriend never took the time to try to train him, so I ended up getting a front-clipping harness since my boyfriend would set back any progress Goliath made with me.

The point is: It was harder to train my boyfriend than it was my new-to-me eight year old dog. Don't think you can't train an older animal, they can learn!

And honestly, if you're really wanting "calm," if you get a puppy, it's going to be years before you get it.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Koivunen posted:

This is basically my ideal situation.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
I just found this picture on Imgur. What is it? Do all Husky puppies look like this?
I mean...my God.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
Looks like a fat malamute puppy to me.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
I saw my first real-life Shiba today! :kimchi:

I said "Gorgeous dog!" and the owner rolled her eyes and said "Ugh. Sometimes."

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

Avshalom posted:

I saw my first real-life Shiba today! :kimchi:

I said "Gorgeous dog!" and the owner rolled her eyes and said "Ugh. Sometimes."

:v: Accurate.

Citizen Rat
Jan 17, 2005

Invalid Octopus posted:

Looks like a fat malamute puppy to me.

Nah, just fluffed up and blow dried. Sitka's brother does the same thing if you blow dry him just right. It is hilarious and static-y as all gently caress.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.
Today is Mona's 4th birthday!

Stinky dog party!

supkirbs
Oct 15, 2012

The library is the worst bunch of people assembled in history. They're mean, conniving, rude and extremely well read which makes them very dangerous.

nolen posted:

Today is Mona's 4th birthday!

Stinky dog party!

Happy birthday Mona! She's so cute in that hat.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
I think I checked your profile, one-whose-lady-wants-a-Corgi-you-want-a-Chow (wow forgot username already) SAINT DARWIN ok - whereabouts do you live, environment-wise? If you want a full furred breed like a Chow I would consider the 'special' needs if you live in an area that gets very hot and if that would be a big issue for you (I don't know people's consensus on Chow shaving? unlike, y'know, husky shaving). Hmm lazy... Can't go wrong with a greyhound for a dog that has the capacity to RUN RUN RUN but secretly wants to live in the crevasse of the couch. Do some rescues allow you to have a 'trial period' with dogs, say if you do find an adult animal and aren't sure, you can always give it back if you feel it won't be the right fit? Maybe ask around for that. I can't give you 'I got an adult' story 'cause my dog was probably about 6 months but she only chewed things inappropriately like TWICE. Once was a blue pen that left evidence ALL over white fur and the other was eating my Monty Python and the Holy Grail DVD. :C In the first like two-three months. She was amazingly easy to train and I will confess I didn't try hard, she simply caught on to my habits and expectations I guided her into and I learned hers. Mutuality. :3:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

Yup I showed that piece of wood who's boss.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour
Goliath loves treats.

So ferocious.

Love this face.

Derp.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Gonna try this one photo at a time from my phone:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Two?

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Two at a time seems to be the magic number

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I was out running yesterday and I ran by the guy I've seen with a chow. I stopped to talk for a minute and apparently it's a chow lab.

As I'm talking to him the dog is lazily walking around, chilling. Sticking his nose in some stuff but otherwise not at all bothered or caring.

Basically I want one. It looked very much like a chow but with a longer nose and slightly different ears. If I had my phone on me I'd have taken a picture because it's an adorable animal.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Meet my new beastly boy :3:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

:3: :3: :3: :3: :3:

Seriously not enough :3: for this.

:kimchi:

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
So is the dog hiding behind the dust mop or ... THAT'S THE DOG?! WANT TO PET!

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
:P

Testing the MalCam on my phone from work.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

Artie's teething so wants to chew everything, let him out of his crate this morning took him for a wee, came back to bed with him and realised rather than snuggling alongside me he'd managed to tear the stuffing out of a pillow in 30 seconds or less, my own fault haha

Lack of sleep is slowly sending me potty though

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Zenithbliss posted:

Artie's teething so wants to chew everything, let him out of his crate this morning took him for a wee, came back to bed with him and realised rather than snuggling alongside me he'd managed to tear the stuffing out of a pillow in 30 seconds or less, my own fault haha

oh...my god

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Zenithbliss posted:

I notice how you're not mad. I could never be mad at that either. Look at it's face :catstare:

paisleyfox
Feb 23, 2009

I just want to bury my face in all of that fluff. I try with Ellie but she is. Not as fluffy and a fury of teeth. I am willing to accept a fury of teeth for fluffy raspberries. :kimchi:

Shiba rainbow!

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

I wanted a shiba (it's one on my list) but my girlfriend wasn't keen :(

Artie loves men, absolutely goes potty if he sees the lodger who lives in our annex, and today was embarrassing me by being all over a salesman I let in the front door. Unfortunately for him he's poo poo out of luck as he lives with a lesbian couple!

Even though I'm with him all the time he prefers my girlfriend when she comes home from work. I'm hoping that's just familiarity breeding contempt and he'll get over it when I start going out to work again.

Progress

And I was mis-sold a samoyed and bought a lumpy sheep fleece I believe

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

So what you're saying is as a guy, if I break in I will have no trouble stealing your dog.

Because I want to steal your polar bear. I mean dog.

Zenithbliss
Oct 22, 2007

If you can find your way to Wiltshire you're almost welcome to him at the moment. I don't mean that really, but one of the breed traits is loving everybody (except for me :( he ran away from me while I tried brushing him even though I was giving him treats, I had to give him a piece of toilet roll to make amends - He's a weird puppy)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Here's my primitive Healy, the Lapponian Herder, with some basic obedience stuff. Unfortunately the video is somewhat out of focus and I have some music playing as the wind was terrible. http://youtu.be/qSq-LrktGZ8

My other primitive Naru, the Finnish Lapphund, killed a rat while on leash today. There was a big rat hunt going on in the old piggery and I took Naru to monitor the perimeter ie. to catch any rats that escape outside. She did manage to track down one escapee huddled in the snow and promptly dispatched it.

• Locked thread