Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/9/4081332/technique-talk-chael-sonnen-mma-wrestling-interview-takedowns-ufc-news

Pretty long and interesting interview with Chael Sonnen about wrestling and adapting it to mma.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

fatherdog posted:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/3/9/4081332/technique-talk-chael-sonnen-mma-wrestling-interview-takedowns-ufc-news

Pretty long and interesting interview with Chael Sonnen about wrestling and adapting it to mma.

i love this poo poo. it's like the tuf moments where sonnen's actively coaching, but all the time. he's incredibly concise and the information's relevant from the expert to the layman

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

fatherdog posted:

Lorenzo must get on his knees and thank God for Chael Sonnen on daily or perhaps hourly basis

Boregasm
Nov 18, 2009
Whenever Chael decides to retire, I hope he starts his own camp. The man has a mind for fighting and grappling that needs to be tapped.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Big 10 Championship finals will be on the Big 10 Network today starting at 2:30 Eastern.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
At last, my ridiculous cable package comes in handy.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Boregasm posted:

Whenever Chael decides to retire, I hope he starts his own camp. The man has a mind for fighting and grappling that needs to be tapped.

Chael already runs one of the Team Quest branches, doesn't he? Even so, I'd be shocked if he's still fighting in 2014.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Big 10 championships are on now. at 125 pounds it is #2 Matt McDonough of Iowa vs. #4 Jesse Delgodo of Illinois.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Big 10 championships are on now. at 125 pounds it is #2 Matt McDonough of Iowa vs. #4 Jesse Delgodo of Illinois.

McDonough down 5-1 entering third. mcDonough chooses down. Could have first upset of the day

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Delgado Wins!

Tell you what he was fun as hell to watch. He shot and shot and shot and shot

E: score was 10-4

133 lbs Logan Stieber (tOSU) vs Tony Ramos (Iowa) up now

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Mar 10, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
McDonough's second upset loss in the past month. He really is going to have to pull it together for Nationals if he wants to be a finalist again.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

fatherdog posted:

Thanks, this was an excellent listen.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
133 is #1 Logan Stieber of Ohio State vs. #2 Tony Ramos of Iowa

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

We go to overtime 1-1!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Beautiful bodylock.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Stieber Wins in sudden victory with a last second body lock take down. Awesome match we'll see these two again in a couple weeks.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
OT win for Stieber. Nice way to end it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
141 is #2 Hunter Stieber of Ohio State vs #10 Mark Ballweg of Iowa

There are lots of twins in wrestling.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Here are the finals matchups.

125 lbs - Jesse Delgado (Illinois) def. Matt McDonough (Iowa) 10-4
133 lbs - Logan Stieber (tOSU) def. Tony Ramos (Iowa) 3-1
141 lbs - Hunter Stieber (tOSU) vs. Mark Ballweg (Iowa)
149 lbs - Jake Sueflohn (Nebraska) vs. Dylan Ness (Minnesota)
157 lbs - Jason Welch (Northwestern) vs. James Green (Nebraska)
165 lbs - David Taylor (PSU) vs. Conrad Polz (Illinois)
174 lbs - Matt Brown (PSU) vs. Mike Evans (Iowa)
184 lbs - Ed Ruth (PSU) vs. Kevin Steinhaus (Minnesota)
197 lbs - Quentin Wright (PSU) vs. Scott Schiller (Minnesota)
HW - Tony Nelson (Minnesota) vs. Mike McMullan (Northwestern)

e: oh and once again David Taylor has tech fall'ed his way to the finals, will he tech fall for the championship? Probably.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
7-3 win for the bigger Steiber.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Hunter Stieber wins 8-3 at 141 lbs.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

HOLY poo poo WHAT A FALL

Dylan Ness gives up back points to get in position to roll through and get the fall

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Jason Welch gets the fall while down a point late in the third to win. Green really over committed to initiating a scramble and missed.

David Taylor time.

e: Polz showed decent defense to start but gave up a TD with :08 left in the first, chose down in the 2nd and Taylor rode him for the full 2 minutes, then Taylor chose down to start the 3rd got a reversal and is now riding Polz out. Polz has been issued 2 penalties for stalling. Taylor lets Polz up just to take him right back down. David Taylor wins 9-1

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 10, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Lots of good matches and I also get to see Iowa lose a lot. Its a good afternoon.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 10, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

In non-wrestling news: Lloyd Irvin has terminated his affiliate program.

quote:

Effective Immediately: Team Lloyd Irvin Affiliate Program is Terminated!

I want to thank EVERY Team Lloyd Irvin affiliate for their loyalty andfriendship throughout the years and especially during the last 2 months...

However there is clearly a lynch mob made up of a handful of people who will settle for NOTHING other than my head-on-a-stick or me hanging from a tree.

And I don't believe the majority of our community really wants nor benefits from this never ending pissing contest.

My purpose in making this statement is singular...

The lynch mob has been bullying and abusing my Team Lloyd Irvin affiliate members businesses,and that is downright unfair to them.

Attacking me is one thing, attacking my affiliates unfairly is a completely different animal.

And in an effort to preserve my personal relationships with them I am disbanding the association.

This is to serve notice to the lynch mob members that they can stop targeting, bullying and attempting to harm my affiliates businesses because they are no longer affiliates. End of story.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/10/4087464/lloyd-irvin-announces-termination-team-lloyd-irvin-affiliate-program

e: bonus points if you spot the subtle race card

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 11, 2013

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

ch3cooh posted:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/3/10/4087464/lloyd-irvin-announces-termination-team-lloyd-irvin-affiliate-program

There's a subtle race card in there?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
NCAA Championships are next Thursday-Saturday (March 21-23) in Des Moines, IA. I can probably write up a preview if nobody else wants to. Anybody else interested?

In sadder news, Kyven Gadson, Iowa State's 197 pounder, won the Big XIIs last night while his dad was in hospice care for terminal cancer. His dad was an All American for Iowa State in the 70s and was also his wrestling coach in high school. This morning he just made it back to his hometown to show his dad his 1st place medal and say goodbye. His dad passed away almost right after he got home.

He'll probably be seeded 6th or 7th in Des Moines but I figure either he is going to be a total wreck and get two quick losses or is going to be a focused man on a mission and pin his way to the finals. I don't see an in between happening.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Thoguh posted:

NCAA Championships are next Thursday-Saturday (March 21-23) in Des Moines, IA. I can probably write up a preview if nobody else wants to. Anybody else interested?

Yes please.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

ch3cooh posted:

people are getting upset about all the rapes, for some reason

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Thoguh posted:

I always read your preview analysis and love and get really excited then I completely forget to watch the event. So you should post afterthoughts too. Give me free high quality entertainment, I command you!

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Thoguh posted:

Please.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Agreeing with everyone else that this would be awesome

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Brackets are released on Wednesday. I'll get a weight by weight preview up early next week.

By far the biggest storyline this year is at 165.

From Cornell, Kyle Dake is attempting to make history this year by becoming the first wrestler even to win the NCAA Championships at four different weight classes. He won it at 141 as a freshman, 149 as a sophomore, and 157 as a junior. And Dake moved up a weight to 165 this year despite the fact that David Taylor would be standing in his way. A title next weekend would firmly plant him in the ranks of John Smith, Dan Gable, and Cael Sanderson as one of the best college wrestlers of all time.

From Penn State, David Taylor was the anointed successor to Cael Sanderson's legacy. As a freshman in 2011 he took a #1 ranking and 38-0 record into the NCAA finals against Bubba Jenkins, who had been his workout partner the year before but had been kicked off the Penn State team and ended up at Arizona State. Then this happened. Taylor came back last year to finish undefeated and claim his first title.

This year Dake and Taylor have met twice, once in an All-Star meet in the preseason and once at the Southern Scuffle on New Years Eve. Both times Dake has come away with a 1 point win. It's safe to say that their finals matchup in Des Moines is one of the most anticipated matches in recent history.

I'd recommend watching them both Tech Fall and Pin their way to the finals. Their actual match will probably be a really boring 0-1 type affair.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 11, 2013

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

God I just hope one of them doesn't trip up and screw us all out of a once in the lifetime type match

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

ch3cooh posted:

God I just hope one of them doesn't trip up and screw us all out of a once in the lifetime type match

I wouldn't mind if Taylor gets upset. They're third matchup might be a great match for serious wrestling fans. But it will be boring as hell for anybody else.

I'm pulling for Dake though.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Is there any interest in a Fantasy Wrestling pool for nationals? Just for forum bragging rights, since setting up a way to collect money is way to much work. I do a pool at work every year so I could run a second one on the side. If there is interest I'll make a thread once brackets come out.

Here's how it would work:
  • You choose ten guys to form your team
  • You have a limit of one wrestler at each weight
  • You have a limit of one wrestler of any seed (only one #1 seed, one #2 seed, etc...). Unseeded guys are fair game with no limit
The scoring would use the same scoring rules the NCAA uses for the tournament:

Scoring:
Placement points:
    1st place: 16 points
    2nd place: 12 points
    3rd place: 10 points
    4th place: 9 points
    5th place: 7 points
    6th place: 6 points
    7th place: 4 points
    8th place: 3 points
Advancement points:
  • Each advancement in the championship bracket is worth 1 point
  • Each advancement in the consolation bracket is worth .5 points
  • If a wrestler has a bye and wins his very next match, he will earn an advancement point for the bye.
  • If a wrestler has a bye and loses his very next match, he will not earn any advancement point(s).
  • Each wrestler who is not in a pigtail match in either the championship or consolation bracket is considered to have received a bye since they didn’t wrestle a pigtail match. If those wrestler go on to win their first match, they will receive 2 advancement points due to the bye.
  • If the losing wrestler in the championship bracket pigtail match wins his wrestleback match, he will earn an additional .5 advancement points due to a bye. This bye is not shown on the NCAA brackets due to space constraints.
Bonus Points:
  • Each fall, forfeit, default, disqualification: 2 points
  • Each tech fall (w/ near fall points): 1.5 points
  • Each tech fall (w/o near fall points): 1 point
  • Each major decision: 1 point

I'd compile all the scoring and update it between rounds.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Apparently the Arizona Open Jiu-Jitsu International has some good grapple men (I don't know grapples too well :( )

Here's Benson Henderson doing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6hxRD6YVs

And here are Leandro Lo vs Augusto Tanquinho in the blackbelt absolute finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCShrsk40qw

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Thoguh posted:

Is there any interest in a Fantasy Wrestling pool for nationals? Just for forum bragging rights, since setting up a way to collect money is way to much work. I do a pool at work every year so I could run a second one on the side. If there is interest I'll make a thread once brackets come out.

Here's how it would work:
  • You choose ten guys to form your team
  • You have a limit of one wrestler at each weight
  • You have a limit of one wrestler of any seed (only one #1 seed, one #2 seed, etc...). Unseeded guys are fair game with no limit
The scoring would use the same scoring rules the NCAA uses for the tournament:

Scoring:
Placement points:
    1st place: 16 points
    2nd place: 12 points
    3rd place: 10 points
    4th place: 9 points
    5th place: 7 points
    6th place: 6 points
    7th place: 4 points
    8th place: 3 points
Advancement points:
  • Each advancement in the championship bracket is worth 1 point
  • Each advancement in the consolation bracket is worth .5 points
  • If a wrestler has a bye and wins his very next match, he will earn an advancement point for the bye.
  • If a wrestler has a bye and loses his very next match, he will not earn any advancement point(s).
  • Each wrestler who is not in a pigtail match in either the championship or consolation bracket is considered to have received a bye since they didn’t wrestle a pigtail match. If those wrestler go on to win their first match, they will receive 2 advancement points due to the bye.
  • If the losing wrestler in the championship bracket pigtail match wins his wrestleback match, he will earn an additional .5 advancement points due to a bye. This bye is not shown on the NCAA brackets due to space constraints.
Bonus Points:
  • Each fall, forfeit, default, disqualification: 2 points
  • Each tech fall (w/ near fall points): 1.5 points
  • Each tech fall (w/o near fall points): 1 point
  • Each major decision: 1 point

I'd compile all the scoring and update it between rounds.

i'm in. the Carmichaelin' Daves will taste victory

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Looks like Matt McDonough wasn't very happy last night

http://deadspin.com/wrestler-comes-in-second-place-at-big-10-tournament-th-452883712

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

LobsterMobster posted:

Here's Benson Henderson doing stuff.

Bearded Brown Belt Bendo shoots so hard it blows his opponent back like a leaf on the wind

I approve