Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Fraction posted:

e:
Could I get a colour check on this lil guy?

I'm guessing champagne or fawn hooded.

Wait till he molts out, he looks a lil dark for champagne but also a lil light for fawn. It'll be easier to tell after he molts, but I would lean towards fawn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

So we got a new rat yesterday, she was left alone at the shop and we couldn't have that.

Meet Snap, short for Ginger Snap! She likes the camera.

Interrupting Hardy grooming

She also wanted the camera

and Laurel, she was too busy eating to care

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

The girls were freeranging today while I was working on something, and I was suddenly called away to do an errand. I closed up the room without rounding the rats up, because there wasn't too much they could get into and it's the middle of the day anyway, they're mostly sleeping. I came back an hour and a half later, longer than I'd thought I would take, to find Ada had somehow slipped out behind me unnoticed when I closed the door. I have a baby gate across the door to discourage roaming (this room gets kind of hot with the door closed, sometimes. I'm not sure why the gate is effective at keeping them in, because they can climb it, but it works) and she was perched on top of the gate, extremely unhappy about life in general.

When I scooped her up she immediately climbed up to my neck and dug in all her claws and absolutely would not be removed for a good ten minutes.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

First, Greyish Orange those rats is so cute! :3:

Second, I was watching The Walking Dead, and I felt bad because they had rats in cages as zombie bat and those poor rats :qq: and I realized I felt worse for the rats then I did the various people who got ate through the seasons. Curse you thread, making me realize rats are awesome! :argh:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Yeah I was just watching Mission: Impossible and a rat scurries through the air vent towards Jean Reno when Tom Cruise is hanging in that white room. All "evil" and "dirty" rats in movies now are just fuzzy babies that I want to snuggle.

Also, mark your calendars for April 27 at 9 PM for NatGeo's Spoiled Rotten Pets featuring a woman who throws parties for her 10 rats.

I never did get around to finding it, but there's also an episode of Extreme Animal Phobias on Animal Planet (a show hosted by Dr. Robin from Hoarders) where a girl is scared of rats and they send her into a bathroom with a bunch of super cute babies running wild. Here's a clip: http://youtu.be/CBZHvPtp5FY

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

Bash Ironfist posted:

First, Greyish Orange those rats is so cute! :3:

Second, I was watching The Walking Dead, and I felt bad because they had rats in cages as zombie bat and those poor rats :qq: and I realized I felt worse for the rats then I did the various people who got ate through the seasons. Curse you thread, making me realize rats are awesome! :argh:

Haha yeah that was me, too. Those scenes were horrible!

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Johnny, Lisa, and Denny

(hiding under some paper because they are still super nervous)

I went out for two, but there were only three left in the litter and I couldn't leave the last one alone. All agouti -- I guess people don't want the ones that look like wild rats. Their loss, though, because look how cute these little fuckers are. Good lord handling three at once while also worrying about the cats is a handful! But god I already love these little fellas.

First time rat owner and I heard my first ever brux today, which is a delight

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Look at those faces!

Agouti rats are beautiful, but yes. I want one, but breeders here just don't tend to breed them because people want fancier colors. :(

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 6, 2013

Gooses and Geeses
Jan 1, 2005

OH GOD WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN?
So we think Mia had an abscess come up last night. BIG old lump on her chin which was very hard to the touch.

Today it's gone and there's a scab in its place. Which is rather wonderful news.

We're going to dose her up with some baytril but are not sure how else to help stave off infection. Can anyone help? She's cleaning it herself regularly but not quite excessively yet, so that's good too.

Relief at it not being a chin tumour!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Gooses and Geeses posted:

So we think Mia had an abscess come up last night. BIG old lump on her chin which was very hard to the touch.

Today it's gone and there's a scab in its place. Which is rather wonderful news.

We're going to dose her up with some baytril but are not sure how else to help stave off infection. Can anyone help? She's cleaning it herself regularly but not quite excessively yet, so that's good too.

Relief at it not being a chin tumour!

Moomin got a large pea-ish sized lump in the same chin/neck area a couple weeks ago. It went down in a couple days, replaced with a small scab, so we didn't take him to the vet or anything. He's been fine since, I figure it was just the result of a brawl with Os.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

SlipkPIe posted:

Johnny, Lisa, and Denny

I went out for two, but there were only three left in the litter and I couldn't leave the last one alone. All agouti -- I guess people don't want the ones that look like wild rats. Their loss, though, because look how cute these little fuckers are. Good lord handling three at once while also worrying about the cats is a handful! But god I already love these little fellas.

First time rat owner and I heard my first ever brux today, which is a delight

I love agoutis. :3: Are they all agouti selfs? The best I've seen is poor quality hoodeds. When I get my next batch of rats I'll probably try and snag an agouti though.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
Welp, it's been fun guys. We put our last rat to sleep this morning. Can't do this anymore :smith:

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

SlipkPIe posted:

Johnny, Lisa, and Denny

Oh god, the noses :3:

Patchouli Patrol fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Mar 6, 2013

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Mongoloid Joe posted:

Welp, it's been fun guys. We put our last rat to sleep this morning. Can't do this anymore :smith:

I'm sorry :smith:

ratses :3:

Valentine

Chell

Alice

Alice

Mad Moxxi

Moxxi

Moxxi

Pandora

Valentine

Moxxi and Valentine

Valentine and Moxxi

Chell

Pandora

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Pandora sure is a spider rat!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

She is a total pain with her spideriness :mad: It makes having another cage o rats incredibly difficult. She spends a lot of time trying to scamper up to see Pippin and Stumpy and goddamnit Panda just stay in the cage

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

IMG_3110 by philip painter, on Flickr

ricro
Dec 22, 2008
Does anyone have a good recommendation for water bottle brands? All the ones I've tried leak real bad. Even when it seems like there isnt any dripping and I've managed to get a good vacuum to keep the water in, I'll come home from work to a flooded shelf

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

SlipkPIe posted:

Does anyone have a good recommendation for water bottle brands? All the ones I've tried leak real bad. Even when it seems like there isnt any dripping and I've managed to get a good vacuum to keep the water in, I'll come home from work to a flooded shelf

I recently bought a Super Pet glass bottle. You have to make sure and push the o-ring back in completely before closing it each time, but otherwise it works great.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

SlipkPIe posted:

What on earth are you doing to the bottles? I've always bought cheap plastic ones from wherever is near; never had a problem. The only one that's ever started leaking was when I tried to clean inside the spout :downs:

:3: Cuties.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Just noticed a tumor on Pris' side this morning. I didn't even notice it when I took pictures of her the other day, but I can see it in the picture.

I'm pretty bummed as she's my favorite. :smith:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This is me, this is everyone in this thread: http://gawker.com/5989431

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Boco_T posted:

This is me, this is everyone in this thread: http://gawker.com/5989431

quote:

She "huffs" one, and it smells good, apparently. It smells like nachos.
What, normal people don't bury their faces in their pets' fur? :downs: Dunno about nachos, but my rats always smelled like Fritos.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

daggerdragon posted:

What, normal people don't bury their faces in their pets' fur? :downs: Dunno about nachos, but my rats always smelled like Fritos.

I'm pretty sure smelling animals is normal. My rats tend to smell like arrowroot cookies.

snowdoge
Jul 2, 2009
My girls always used to smell like fresh homemade corn tortillas. Maybe it's something we feed them that releases some corn product scented body odor :tinfoil:

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So this might sound odd, but can you give rats a bath? I change out the cage bedding pretty often, but they do smell faintly of urine it seems. I think its their fleece bed they like to lay in. They seem to get pee stains on it and I have washed it but they like to mess it up again pretty quick. The cage is due to be cleaned again tomorrow so I was thinking I would do that, and before putting them back in give them some kind of a bath if that is even something that can even be done.

EDIT: Well I just checked the OP again and I guess I can give them a bath with an appropriate shampoo. Any tips on best practices?

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

ApexAftermath posted:

So this might sound odd, but can you give rats a bath? I change out the cage bedding pretty often, but they do smell faintly of urine it seems. I think its their fleece bed they like to lay in. They seem to get pee stains on it and I have washed it but they like to mess it up again pretty quick. The cage is due to be cleaned again tomorrow so I was thinking I would do that, and before putting them back in give them some kind of a bath if that is even something that can even be done.

EDIT: Well I just checked the OP again and I guess I can give them a bath with an appropriate shampoo. Any tips on best practices?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WWWG3libBk

FYI my girls hate water and freak the gently caress out if I try to wash them directly. I've found cleaning and washing the bedding is enough - they keep themselves clean, they just smell like their environment. If I wash/replace the bedding in their orbital at least once a week and don't let the other stuff in the cage get too dirty, they don't need a bath. I haven't washed them in a long while (like, year+) and I think everyone, myself included, is happier for it.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 9, 2013

Baika
Jul 8, 2011

Cap on, apply directly to the rats head.
Wear long sleeves. :) Also expect fear poop.

Whenever I washed my rats I would hold them, hold them securely dip them half-bodied into the sink, get them lathering up with water and a tiny amount baby shampoo and rinse them as fast as I can. They tend to get super squirmy and yeah, claws hurt. Then I take more time drying them off.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

I let my girls run around on the sink while the running water warms up, then wet my hand and then pet them and repeat until they are wet. I then take a little bit of the shampoo and lather them up, then hold them under the running water to rinse. Afterward, I put a towel in the sink and they love tunneling in it. They fear pooped the first few times, but now they're pretty used to it, probably because they know after bath comes TOWELS.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*
Rats like the smell of their own pee. Why ruin their fun? :D

I just change their hammocks and bedding when they get stinky, the rats themselves don't really smell.

Patchouli Patrol
Nov 11, 2007

Big Bug Hug posted:

Rats like the smell of their own pee. Why ruin their fun? :D

I just change their hammocks and bedding when they get stinky, the rats themselves don't really smell.

Well, for me, it's more about reducing allergens, rather than just smell.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

It's not like they are super stinky, but I like to snuggle them and put my face right up to their fur and I can really smell it when I do that.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I haven't bathed my current guys, but with my old boys I got a wide shallow tray (kind of like a cat litter box) and filled it with warm water, and set it near the drain end of the bathtub. I let them run around the other side of the tub, and wet them down gently with handfuls from the smaller tub. Then I lathered them up with kitten shampoo and rinsed them the same way. Van Buren actually enjoyed getting in the water and splashing around when he was younger, although he started to get fearful as he got older. Atahualpa would freak out if he was submerged or had more than a small amount of water poured over him.

I think my current trio smells a lot better because they're on fleece, eat better, and spend a ton of time grooming each other and themselves. They still have a musky boy smell, but aren't stinky and greasy like van Buren was as he got older.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I just like to rub my cheeks on my rats. They are soft and smell nice :3:

I have noticed my girls tend to smell better (except for their poop, veg makes that gross sometimes) than lady rats on lab blocks/rat muesli type food. Pippin and Stumpy smell better since they came here too IMO.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

My girl rats all smell fine but I did notice that they tend to pee on each other at times in which case I wipe them off with damp paper towels. It's less traumatic than a full bath and seems to work alright to keep their fur nice smelling and soft. I have all of my rats on Oxbow regal rat along with miscellaneous veg and fruit treats (and sometimes a protein like boiled egg or mealworms once a week or every other week). They smell fine, but Biscuit can get a little gross sometimes. I think because he has less hair that maybe he produces more buck grease or something? Who knows.

Also I highly recommend mealworm treats for rats on occasion. It's like part toy and part treat to them, and since they're not as mobile as crickets, you don't have to worry about them escaping and making nests in your walls or whatever the hell it is crickets do in their off time besides stink.
Also I am kind of behind on rat training and book transcripts because I got a sick snake recently I've been preoccupied with. Sorry about that!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I think my girls smell like beeswax. They are so sweet.

I have been a terrible rat mom - no pictures for like 6 months! Here are a couple. We have a great understanding where they free roam on the couch, no pooping and lots of treats, especially deli turkey. They love it. They are really good about tolerating my little girl's handling and even seek her out. They also like to hang out in the window wells which you would think would be too cold, but hey, whatever!

Nibbler:

Oopsie:

My kid holding Nibbler:

Rats forever!

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?
I'm pretty sure he was sleeping.

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

HungryMedusa posted:

I think my girls smell like beeswax. They are so sweet.

I have been a terrible rat mom - no pictures for like 6 months! Here are a couple. We have a great understanding where they free roam on the couch, no pooping and lots of treats, especially deli turkey. They love it. They are really good about tolerating my little girl's handling and even seek her out. They also like to hang out in the window wells which you would think would be too cold, but hey, whatever!

Its funny, I have a lot of pets and aside from the rats they are all wary of kids. Mine is 11 and the parrots are wary of her, the cats still mostly ignore her. Shes never been cruel, just high energy. But the rats just love her and will go running over if they're out when she gets home from school :3:

When my daughter brings home a friend the cats all hide, but the rats are always clamoring to meet people. Its so cute.

Amiss
Mar 9, 2006

Pestilence is the new pink.
Why Rats Sniff Each Other

quote:

In initial observations, Wesson saw that when one rat started sniffing another's body or behind, both rats ramped up their level of sniffing. But when one rat started sniffing the other's face, the other rat typically backed off and turned down its level of sniffing.

Further investigations showed that dominant rats (larger, more aggressive ones) didn't tamp down their sniffing, and sometimes increased it, when a subordinate rat sniffed them in the face. But when dominant rats started smelling their subordinates head on, and the subordinates failed to cut back on their sniffing, the top rats were quick to engage in aggressive behavior (kicking, biting or jumping on the other rat). The results suggest that sniffing can help high-ranking rats assert dominance and allow subordinate rats to appease their superiors and prevent aggression.

Wesson saw the same results when he inhibited the rats' sense of smell, which bolsters his claim that there's more to sniffing than odor-detection. And when he gave some of the rats oxytocin, a brain chemical that's been shown to enhance bonding and ease the pressure of hierarchies, these sniffing displays and aggression vanished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Big Bug Hug posted:

Its funny, I have a lot of pets and aside from the rats they are all wary of kids. Mine is 11 and the parrots are wary of her, the cats still mostly ignore her. Shes never been cruel, just high energy. But the rats just love her and will go running over if they're out when she gets home from school :3:

When my daughter brings home a friend the cats all hide, but the rats are always clamoring to meet people. Its so cute.

That's so cute. They really are friendly creatures!