Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SkunkDuster posted:

That looks awesome! Can you get any more pictures of the interior? Does the license plate have any significance or did you just use the default decals? It is cool to see more planes, trains, and automobiles in the thread.

It would appear that I am a huge retard and didn't take any pictures at all of the finished interior as it was waiting for the body to be done. Unfortunately, there's no real good way to get any other shots of it. Just know that it's flocked and uses all the kit parts. Well, except for the rear side windows. I managed to knock them both out while gluing the interior to the body. I panicked at first, but then just thought "gently caress it. They're rolled down."

The license plate is just one of the kit plates. The other was something along the lines of "64 GTO" which I find stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

George Zimmer posted:

Sounds about right! And yeah, Pledge/Kleer dries plenty hard. Seeing as how you're a wargamer, Citadel paints spray very well if you haven't tried it before.

I'm a Vallejo man but that sounds great anyway, glad I can just varnish and enjoy :-)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

N17R4M posted:

I had no khaki paint :v: I'll fix that after the next trip to the model shop. 1:72 scale by the way.
Protip: Airfix "1:72" is actually HO/OO scale, which is more 1:76.2. Even then, their stuff varies wildly in that range, and a lot of it is from the 50's. The Jeep is a particularly tiny kit IIRC.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

George Zimmer posted:

Interesting. Pretty much every Tamiya paint I've sprayed has had a flat-ish finish. Maybe it's something in my thinner, I just use water from the tap.

Tamiya XF-series are flat. X-series are gloss. Both have come out that way consistently for me. Try using the Tamiya thinner, or isopropyl alcohol, and see if either of those improve the results.

Mongolian Queef
May 6, 2004

SkunkDuster posted:

It turned out looking almost exactly the same as silver paint out of a rattlecan. I'm guessing the problem is that they recommend using a gloss black enamel basecoat for polished aluminum and I used gloss black lacquer. I polished the hell out of the basecoat using automotive polishes and cleaned it very well before applying the Alclad, so it wasn't a result of the basecoat being dirty or not glossy enough. It could also be a result of using a siphon fed brush which requires higher PSI than what they recommend. I'm going to wait until I get a gravity fed brush, then buy the recommended enamel basecoat before I try again. There was also a problem of this strange blemish on the side of the fuselage below the canopy that bore a striking resemblance to the thumbprint of my left hand.

edit: I was just looking on the web and found a post by a guy that says he uses a lacquer base coat with great results, so maybe it has more to do with the air pressure being too high. I'll just have to experiment on some plastic spoons until I get it right.

I use Alclad gloss black base and about 14 PSI and it looks great for Alclad Chrome.

N17R4M
Aug 18, 2012

Because yes we actually DID want that land

Arquinsiel posted:

Protip: Airfix "1:72" is actually HO/OO scale, which is more 1:76.2. Even then, their stuff varies wildly in that range, and a lot of it is from the 50's. The Jeep is a particularly tiny kit IIRC.

That would explain why this looks to be to scale:

The kit is relatively new, it was a set containing a base (Nissanhut, sandbags etc), a buttload of soldiers, a P51 and the jeep + trailer. Slowly working on the base, going to pick up a tiny tank to add to the diorama tomorrow, as well as all the paints I'm missing.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nah, the BOX is new. If you look at the copyright stamp on the various bits you'll see the date it was made first.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
I'm painting a tank for the first time in about 16 years (or any military model for that matter) and I'm finding I'm being overwhelmed by all the different information I'm finding on the web. I ran across a technique called color modulation I am considering trying, but I'm not sure if it is anything more than very selective shading. Also I'm not really sure how to approach filters and washes (which to do first) or really what the differences are. I'm going to continue doing research, but wanted to hear any tips you guys have on how you approach painting and especially weathering armor.

I am doing a modern-style tank visibly similar to an abrams and am going to avoid doing any rust effects because I think it is overdone (that and I don't recall any of the abrams and bradleys I worked around while being in a cav unit, being very rusty at all), but I do want it to look like the unit has been in heavy use in a fairly dusty environment.

Also in terms of things like pigments, are MIG the end all, or are there other brands I should look out for?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

I'm starting modelling since I've worked in the LMS for 2 years now and never done it.

I have some Zvezda stuff for their wargame thing that I'm painting tomorrow but thought I'd pick up some cheap sale kits to practice on as well. Why didn't I believe the guys in work about how terrible anything but the newest Airfix kits are?

Terrible plastic, terrible fit, terrible mold points, terrible sprues. The only thing they haven't cocked up is the instructions. (And possibly the decals, but I'm gonna try painting this Grumman Widgeon/Gosling a non standard livery just to practice some form of camo and weathering because why not it was £1.50, so I'll never use the decals.)

Jesus. Not buying anything from them again unless it's one of their fresh molds from last year onwards. (Or unless it's something weird/unusual and stupidly cheap.)

Also, seconding that most of Airfix's 1/72 is to OO gauge. A lot of the time it's okay, and you can get away with it randomly, but if everything else you have is 72nd then a couple 76th things may look out of place, kit dependent

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Nonsense, Aifix kits are wonderful! The older the better!

They're poo poo, I just like them.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

They have some nice kits, including some nice stuff coming out this year (and their new molds are pretty great, the panel detailing on the Vampire looks amazing and I think it has better plastic but I could be wrong)

We have quite a few customers waiting on the new 1/72 bomber resupply set. It's only gonna be £17 odd, and if the molds are decent it could be really popular.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Airfix is one of my favorite model companies right now.

Their new mold 1/72 models are generally well engineered and build into really good looking models out of the box. You just need to be aware that you are buying a sub $10 model kit most times. Plus it's more aesthetic apeal than accuracy, I think. Hence super deep panel lines that aren't even close to scale, but paint up really good. They aren't Hassegawa or Tamiya, but they purty up real good.

Also their old stuff is very "airfix", so try to stick to the newer stuff:

http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-models-for-2011/aircraft/
http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-models-for-2012/aircraft-172-scale/
http://www.airfix.com/airfix-products/new-for-2013/aircraft-172-scale/

I have built a number of the models in these lists, and they really are nice, for a quick fun build. If I were to have a friend looking to get into the hobby, I would recomend one of these in a heartbeat.

Morgenthau
Aug 28, 2007
Circumstances have gone beyond my control.
I agree, I've got their new Harrier GR 9 and Folland Gnat kits and the detail there is awesome.

I like their deep panel lines though. Fine ones can disappear after a coat of paint or two, and they save me the time of having to rescribe them myself.

One kit I would recommend as well is their TSR.2 kit, which any aircraft lover should build if not for the beauty, the sheer :britain: of it.
http://www.airfix.com/airfix-produc...age=&sortorder=

Oh and don't let that Anime stuff on the box put you off, there are provisions and decals in the kit to let you build a normal TSR.

Of course you're welcome to build the Anime version with rear end-in-the-air pilot figures too if you like.

I'm just saying!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone still make Robotech models? I've been looking on Amazon and eBay and basically don't know what I'm looking at. I was hoping to stay under $30 and buy it from someone in the US.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Deeters posted:

Does anyone still make Robotech models? I've been looking on Amazon and eBay and basically don't know what I'm looking at. I was hoping to stay under $30 and buy it from someone in the US.

Not to my knowledge. Bandai still pump out a gazillion gundams in each different variety, but I haven't seen any Robotech that isn't just a toy in years.

I hope to be proved wrong though.

Also, so I can claim to have contributed something, I started painting a thing! (no small detail, like the shovel, and the tracks still need done.)
I fully regard this, however, as a pretty good start for someone who has never done it before :D

http://i.imgur.com/dYGa5Q3.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FyrOtuX.jpg

(linked instead of embedded because I'm not sure if it'd stretch the tables.)

e; and in one of those "you can't see it for looking too close at it" moments, the panzer 2 track mechanism probably shoulda been done ni the armour colour like I did with the panzer 3.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Deeters posted:

I would get you a link but I am running out the door. Search for Macross instead of Robotech.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Deeters posted:

Come join us in the Gunpla thread, we love Macross too:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472857

Hasegawa and Bandai are the two biggest manufacturers I believe.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Deeters posted:

Depends on what you mean by Robotech. The TV show was based off of 3 different series. The most popular was Macross and those kits usually go into and out of production and can probably be found in the US see this for kits in Japan- http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/693/0/1 . The second series was Southern Cross and kits were available of the armor but not right now. Third TV series was Mospeada and there are some things available - http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/693/0/1 (These were also the Monogram Go-Bot kits from the 80's)

The Revell models were from Macross - see above, Orguss - http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=109&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=orguss and Dougram - http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=109&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=dougram. Good luck on the Orguss and Dougram stuff that's been out of production for years

Have you tried the Gunpla thread, they may know some good sources - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3472857&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

On another topic, if you have a Target near by, they have a gift card with a snap together bi plane - http://www.target.com/p/snap-apart-plane-gift-card/-/A-14321643#prodSlot=medium_1_5 It builds up pretty nice.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnWOqp_hyiY Large scale japanese madness

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

MarxCarl posted:

Robotech Stuff

I was mainly looking for the Macross ones. I kind of want to do a Skull Leader veritech and a Jolly Rogers F-14 together. Thanks for the info.

In the mean time, I've been working on a Saturn V, which is the first model I've done in a few years and the first one I've really tried on. I've learned that masking straight lines was harder than I thought.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
God drat it, foiled by primer, again! I finally ran dry on my favourite Dupli-Color primer. They seem to have done away with their light-grey primer now and only have dark grey, which doesn't work in many cases. I just tried the latest from Krylon, and their grey is too dark as well, and the coverage wasn't great either. Am I seriously going to have to go back to using Tamiyas extremely pricey Fine Surface Primer?! FUUUUUUUUUHHHHHH.....

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Do you have an airbrush? Vallejo grey primer is a nice light grey.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I do, and I'm toying with the idea of going with an airbrush primer, but those things are usually even less of a value than a Tamiya rattle-can. I might try the Vallejo and GarageKit Colors primers though just to see how they fare.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

we literally can't keep the black or grey vallejo primer in stock in work. The white sticks around a little bit but we sell the other 2 inside of a fortnight of getting it in. Unfortunately, head office is saying we need to wait for our next main vallejo order to get more :/

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Deeters posted:

I was mainly looking for the Macross ones. I kind of want to do a Skull Leader veritech and a Jolly Rogers F-14 together. Thanks for the info.
Then what you want is the Hasegawa 1:72 Valkyrie kits.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Does anyone have any experience here with Anigrand?

They have a few really nice kits that me and the guys in work are eyeing up (I'd especially like to build the Lun, though given I'm so new to the painting, not sure I could do it justice) because they have such unusual stuff.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
So why the stupid thread titled? Nobody is such an idiot tha...

quote:

I also highly recommend this (though not on your holos!)

http://173.254.71.12/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=24779#.UUjXdRc3tDQ

Unlike most accelerants, it doesn't give you a headache.. it smells like strawberries. It might still kill brain cells, but at least you enjoy losing them this way.

Oh. Never mind. :doh:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
While I never "huffed glue" as a kid, I can't say I disliked catching a whiff of that glorious Testors glue when I was working on a model.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

While I never "huffed glue" as a kid, I can't say I disliked catching a whiff of that glorious Testors glue when I was working on a model.

Orangey! :allears:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Is that a new kind they have? When I was kid, Testors glue smelled like brain-melting chemicals.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

There were (are?) two types of Testors model glue. The stuff in the orange tube that smelled good and Orangey and the stuff in the blue tube that smelled like brain melting chemicals. I always thought that Squadron Green Putty smelled pretty good, too. Must be the toluene.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Must be new then. When I was a kid, Testors just had the orange-tube, but there was no orange-smell, just the smell of your brain dying.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Testor's should sell their clear liquid cement only; it's all I've ever used. It works brilliantly and smells horrible, why would you do anything with it besides glue plastic?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Faltion posted:

I am doing a modern-style tank visibly similar to an abrams and am going to avoid doing any rust effects because I think it is overdone (that and I don't recall any of the abrams and bradleys I worked around while being in a cav unit, being very rusty at all), but I do want it to look like the unit has been in heavy use in a fairly dusty environment.

Also in terms of things like pigments, are MIG the end all, or are there other brands I should look out for?

Nice! I look forward to seeing what someone with real life experience with AFVs can do. As for weathering, I'm still very much learning as I go. There is a ton of techniques out there; I think the main thing is to get some practice in. One thing I've noticed about those magazine/online articles from the crazy good people is that they seem to have an instinct about how all of these little techniques go together for the best effect. And it's not something you can explain, it just comes with experience. Another thing I'd say (and this is rarely mentioned on modelling web sites) is trying to get your artistic eye in as to what works or not. This is more straight-up art class stuff than strictly modelling technique, and I think its what the best modellers have. I know I've seen a build diary for a 1/72 Jadgtiger built, and the guy started with the period-correct color primer and worked up from there, but in the end it just didn't look right.

I got myself a MIG pigment recently, and I'm impressed. They do mud and dirt quite well. I also find that Tamiya paints have a bunch of colors that work well as mud, earth, etc.

Also, I'd say most people in this thread agree with you about some people going overboard with weathering on AFVs, especially WW2 AFVs. Somebody a few pages back said that the WW2 tanks being pulled out of Estonian swamps today are in better condition than some of the examples you see kicking around the 'net.

Anyway...

Revell Germany 1/72 T-72 m1. I can already hear EE saying "not the right green!" So, uh, let me say I was trying something new with color and it didn't work: I wanted the light green over a dark green wash for a faded look. I think it still looks sun faded, but not quite what I pictured. Scale modelling! WE LEARN THROUGH DOING Also, getting high off lacquer thinner for inspiration

With East German markings.

I wanted to do a wash to create faded look, but it didn't really work. I also tried two other techniques for weathering that worked better. (The big spotlight and the other, smaller ones are IR illuminators. In the '60s and '70s when night vision equipment was still weak, both eastern and western tanks used IR spotlights to illuminate things in the dark.

The T-72: a low tank with a big ol' gun.

The fuel tanks were weathered with the classic hairspray technique.

I used a new technique for the mud: first, using an old paint brush, slap on irregular patches of masking compound. Then, spray a wash of mud or dust over everything. Then, remove the masking compound. It creates a patchy appearance. This probably works best on desert vehicles, but I'd like to think it doesn't do too badly with mud either. A mistake I managed to fix: I accidentally broke the main barrel on the machine gun. I replaced it with a bit of steel wire.

Everything you need to know about why Main Battle Tanks happened. Take the speed, maneuverability, and ubiquity of medium tanks, and the firepower and armor of Heavy tanks, and bingo! You get Main Battle Tanks.

No idea why, but Russian tanks often carry a bit of wood around with them.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Mar 23, 2013

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Nebakenezzer posted:

No idea why, but Russian tanks often carry a bit of wood around with them.

The one with the cannon shoots! The one with the log jousts! It's so you can get out of mud if your tank gets stuck.

Cool looking tanks!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Ensign Expendable posted:

The one with the cannon shoots! The one with the log jousts!

I can't tell if this is playing on Marxist dogma or Saturday morning toy commercials. This terrifies me.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism

Thanks, this kit I'm working on is really important to me for sentimental reasons so I'm really trying to not overdo it, but I've been really enjoying it as it's really different from working on all the gunpla I build. I've been looking through Armorama and other sites a lot recently and learning a lot of different techniques. I'm really feeling like less is more in the case of weathering.

For anyone who has painted a desert color scheme, which color is more suitable: Tamiya's desert yellow, buff, or that JSDF brown?

Also if anyone is interested I dumped all my photos I took a couple years ago from the 1st Cav museum into an album. My photography is god awful because I had just started learning photography at that point, but I hope it helps anyone. I'm planning to go back sometime soon, when the weather is nice and it's not midday and focus shooting the various forms of weathering present.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Atten: Canadian goons

For the rest of this weekend, these guys in Calgary and I think Edmonton are having a spring sale. 25% off all kits - you're welcome.

I bought a 1/72 Drakken and a 1/72 He 219 'Owl'

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

I can't tell if this is playing on Marxist dogma or Saturday morning toy commercials. This terrifies me.

I was going for the Enemy at the Gates "the one with the rifle shoots, the one without a rifle follows" vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Ensign Expendable posted:

I was going for the Enemy at the Gates "the one with the rifle shoots, the one without a rifle follows" vibe.
That one was so obvious we ignored it :cheeky:

Also, let me say that your avatar/title is awesome. :allears: