Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

Cameron posted:

When said that, I was talking about job conditions, as well as pay.

As far as I see it, in this economy and job market, it's more valuable to be picky and a good job seeker than go for the highest possible salaries. Hagwons and Public School seem like a stepping stone. There are adult hagwons, part-time jobs and after school positions which are better than almost any hagwon or public job. The pay might be the same or slightly less, but the conditions are where you win. After you've been in the country for a year and have a year of experience under your belt, you've got carte blanche to snap up the juicier jobs that people still living in other countries can't get.

I make as much money as a newbie here, but instead of working 40-45 hours a week, I work 12-16. I also don't have to ever deal with children, which is another bonus for me. That's what I'm talking about. The idea of finding another job with the same kinds of conditions and just a little bit more money seems kind of pointless to me. Your quality of life is still lovely. Imagine being back home and doing the same thing: having a sorta-lovely job, working it for a year, being unsatisfied enough to leave it - only to find a job that's nearly identical for just another $100 a month. Hagwons are notorious and a bit of a gamble, why risk another year of your sanity putting up with that poo poo?

Now that I have free time, I can choose to go to school or get another job if I want to, but I don't have to. That's what matters to me, and I think most people would agree.

Hopefully this rings true. There's about a 75% percent chance I'll stay in Nonsan at my public school. The hours are good and the kids are well behaved. The only reason I'd leave is to move to a larger city for a different experience. However, I'm wondering if a job would be truly that easy to obtain for someone holding an ESL/TESOL teaching license with a year experience in Korea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Nowon is pretty "meh". Not a bad place to live. Just endless rows of Stalin Stacks. You're not going to have your mind blown with all the stuff you can go do, but if you're not a big partier, it should be fine. Apartments might be a little bit bigger. It's about as "middle class" as Seoul gets.

erobadapazzi
Jul 23, 2007

Maxsmart posted:

Hopefully this rings true. There's about a 75% percent chance I'll stay in Nonsan at my public school. The hours are good and the kids are well behaved. The only reason I'd leave is to move to a larger city for a different experience. However, I'm wondering if a job would be truly that easy to obtain for someone holding an ESL/TESOL teaching license with a year experience in Korea.

Do you have any post-license experience in your home country? I imagine that would make you suitable for international schools. Although that's not really going to help you out if you're just looking for an easier job with fewer hours.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

erobadapazzi posted:

Although that's not really going to help you out if you're just looking for an easier job with fewer hours.

Because no such job exists on this Earf.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

So apparently you can be a "native teacher" if you move to America, live there 10 years, get citizenship and come back to Korea on an F4. Who knew?

Whatever, shes just taking over the position of a Korean teacher that's getting married. No threat to my job, and I think Americas spoiled her. She's already complaining about having to work until 9 a few days a week. She actually plans to confront our boss about it.

A "Korean" person... Confronting their boss about working a 7 hour day... In Korea...

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Nah, I held a music license originally and those jobs are few and far between in the states. Again, I'm not looking for easier, my job is easy, but while I don't mind Nonsan, I wouldn't mind living in a larger city. Even a midsize city like Jinju, Jeonju,Yeosu, or Chuncheon would be fine. I'd like a more than 0% change to be able to meet someone for a date, and the foreigner population here is terrible.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

If you want decent foreigners, honestly, go somewhere with a military base.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Cameron posted:

When said that, I was talking about job conditions, as well as pay.

As far as I see it, in this economy and job market, it's more valuable to be picky and a good job seeker than go for the highest possible salaries. Hagwons and Public School seem like a stepping stone. There are adult hagwons, part-time jobs and after school positions which are better than almost any hagwon or public job. The pay might be the same or slightly less, but the conditions are where you win. After you've been in the country for a year and have a year of experience under your belt, you've got carte blanche to snap up the juicier jobs that people still living in other countries can't get.

I make as much money as a newbie here, but instead of working 40-45 hours a week, I work 12-16. I also don't have to ever deal with children, which is another bonus for me. That's what I'm talking about. The idea of finding another job with the same kinds of conditions and just a little bit more money seems kind of pointless to me. Your quality of life is still lovely. Imagine being back home and doing the same thing: having a sorta-lovely job, working it for a year, being unsatisfied enough to leave it - only to find a job that's nearly identical for just another $100 a month. Hagwons are notorious and a bit of a gamble, why risk another year of your sanity putting up with that poo poo?

Now that I have free time, I can choose to go to school or get another job if I want to, but I don't have to. That's what matters to me, and I think most people would agree.

Did you find that job through connections or on a posting? I have scoured tons of job postings over maybe 12 sites? Sent out 80 emails to see offers from recruiters and never come across anything like that. Also part time isn't possible for most of us because of visa issues and tutoring is flat out 'illegal'/forbidden in most cases.

BrainDance posted:

Trash...Whatever, not my problem.

Except where it is because you are a resident of a tiny densely populated country that doesn't have a lot of place for trash and is resource deficient. If there are bins provided for you, you have no good excuse for not using them.

Spiderjelly posted:

Kant, I thought you were moving to glorious China?

As much as I get sinus infections in Korea, I think China would destroy me. I'm still looking at Hong Kong, but timing is tough and I didn't have a good idea of how to do it until this last vacation. Also, I doubt I am harmonious enough.

erobadapazzi posted:

They won't fire you...

No, but they can make it miserable for you and enforce every last part of the contract to your detriment. They may do this anyway, but when dealing with child-like adults, your rational argument of standing up for yourself or even the part where you want to change their mind about something in the best interest of the school and the kids is not always going to fly.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

You're really overestimating me.

This country is lucky they didnt have to deal with my latest toe fungus. The trash is fine.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

BrainDance posted:

You're really overestimating me.

This country is lucky they didnt have to deal with my latest toe fungus. The trash is fine.

Because edits broken in the latest awful app..

You can just pay a Filipino to take care of your poo poo, it's like nothing. That's what I do.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

BrainDance posted:

If you want decent foreigners, honestly, go somewhere with a military base.

This is the biggest lie about Korea I've ever seen.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BrainDance posted:

You can just pay a Filipino to take care of your poo poo, it's like nothing. That's what I do.

Most humans don't like living in a palace of filth until it gets so bad that you hire a cleaning lady and it fills 10 trash bags. But YMMV.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
You really have no concept, I think I live in the Koreaboo capital of Korea. I just had dinner with several of these people and they spent an hour discussing why Kpop is the best kind of music in the world. When I suggested we don't have Korean next time we ate, I was shushed and told that when you're in Korea you should only eat Korean food, because it is the best tasting food here. These people creep me out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Ugh. I've been fortunate enough to rarely encounter those sorts, and never have to be around them.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

BrainDance posted:

First, are you using Awful Betamax? When Awful App broke down, I switched and it's been a-okay.

second, I've thought about getting a cleaning lady, but I just can't justify a cost-benefit scenario where this is a rational decision. How much do you pay by the hour/room?

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Kant: I found it on a job listing on Korea4Home. I cold called them and straight-up asked if the sponsored E-2 visas and they had no idea, because they had only ever hired F-2 visas before. I told them I'd do the legwork and all they would do it sign off on the documents and they'd be set. That was about all it took. I'm not saying that you're not looking hard enough, and I know you're in a tough spot consider you're really far out and in the boonies so in-person interviews are hard, but I wish that you could find a way to move up a little bit.

You could always try Japan? You can make $3000 a month there teaching adults if you stake a claim on an apartment and solicit to the local Eikawas. It's a little less forgiving than Korea, but just a thought.

Also, I never thought the real world would sound so hilarious as to say that making $36,000 a year would sound desireable. I used to think when I was younger that "real" adults made at least $50,000 dollars a year minimum.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

AmbientParadox posted:

First, are you using Awful Betamax? When Awful App broke down, I switched and it's been a-okay.

second, I've thought about getting a cleaning lady, but I just can't justify a cost-benefit scenario where this is a rational decision. How much do you pay by the hour/room?

Nah, I've been following it. The old versions are so broken replying doesn't even work.

About military guys, they suck. But be honest, if you're in a place that's all English teachers they're probably all giant nerds. Military guys suck but they're better than the alternative. Easy solution here is just meet Korean people. Really, all foreigners kinda suck for the most part. I probably suck.

About getting a maid, it's 10,000₩ an hour. I try to stay clean but I build up dust. Every 3 months I get a maid to take care of that poo poo. 20,000₩ while I hang out at a pc bang. If you guys don't wanna pay a few drinks change for that whatever, but they clean your apartment like it's new. I cant be bothered to move my couch and poo poo.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

God I wish I could edit, but reading over everything here's a better reply.

Maids are pretty much standard 10,000₩ an hour. No matter how many rooms. You all saw my epic wreck in Pohang (admit it that was funny) and she only charged 10,000₩ extra.... For that.

But you gotta buy the trash bags, bleach, etc. You probably gotta carry that poo poo out too. She'll just dump it outside your apartment.

I don't get why you guys are all living like cheap shits. Grand Fromage I get it, you got loans to pay. But some of us don't... Sorry guys a maid is worth playing videogames for some of us. Maybe just me, are you all in massive debt or what? It's 10 bucks...

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Or you could do it yourself, which is a nice feeling and costs nothing?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
The only time I hired a cleaning lady was when I was moving apartments, she cleaned my new and old apartments. :)

gingersmurf
Feb 21, 2007

I am Nigeria's bitch.

BrainDance posted:

I didn't even do that, because then if I ever got in trouble for it I couldn't do the ignorant foreigner thing.

My buildings trash area is all the way down in basement 4, so maybe check the basement. I just go around 11pm because the security guard is always asleep around then. Then I throw my bags haphazardly into the trash area (it stinks so I dont wanna actually go in there.)

No one's said anything yet. I think everyone else just does the same thing.

Our complex guards go through your trash bags. gently caress, that's embarrassing. My friend got a huge angry face teeth-sucking lecture about her bad trash behavior.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Cameron posted:

I'm not saying that you're not looking hard enough, and I know you're in a tough spot consider you're really far out and in the boonies so in-person interviews are hard, but I wish that you could find a way to move up a little bit.
I've never seen a job remotely like that, but whatever. I'm not actually in the boonies. I'm in suwon and it takes at most 1.5-2 hours to get anywhere by subway. I was just not allowed to even take 2 hours off at the end of the day to do it. Schools don't have to, it's just that most don't care.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

Or you could do it yourself, which is a nice feeling and costs nothing?

Christ, this is the contact lenses all over again.

Yes, you can, and that's great. You can cook you own food or go to a restaurant, build your own computer or buy a mac, etc. etc.

You can do a whole lotta poo poo yourself, but I'd rather play videogames.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat

quote:

My life motto

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
drat, 10k an hour. Not bad to get the weekly scrubbing outta the way. On the base I have a lady come in to do light vacuuming, trash pick up, and tidying every weekday. The real value is that she does my laundry and injects 5 hours of free time into my week. Only costs 25usd every two weeks.

Also military are the worst, most clueless people in korea. I know for they are my people.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
You know, hiring a helper is not too bad if it's a once in a while thing. Goonsgiving would have been a lot easier hiring a helper to do all the cleaning, or someone to do all the prep work! Having Kant and friend spend 6 hours is ridiculous when the rest of us gets to go out and party.

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012
I'd be embarrassed hiring a maid and having her come and see the state I live in. Plus my cats wouldn't be all that impressed with some intruder cleaning things up.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Also military are the worst, most clueless people in korea. I know for they are my people.

Dude what is up with the military in 2013? First the subway harassment, then the BB gun, and now the knife thing. It's like the military personnel went full retard as a new years resolution.

Uber-Cake
Aug 31, 2001

AmbientParadox posted:

Dude what is up with the military in 2013? First the subway harassment, then the BB gun, and now the knife thing. It's like the military personnel went full retard as a new years resolution.

New rotations = new idiots.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Uber-Cake posted:

New rotations = new idiots.

That doesnt really explain the recent trend of retardation. There have always been dumb new rotations, such as mine, but we never did anything to get shot by the fuzz.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

For several months I've been hearing rumors that there was a college in my town. I was fairly skeptical, since my location is so small that anyone in the college age range wouldn't go unnoticed, but this weekend I finally decided to find out for sure and investigate. Surprisingly, Naver does show a large university right next to Goryeong, about 15 minutes by bike from my apartment.

So I went there, and indeed there is a large college campus. It's mostly hidden by the mountains around it, but is nearly the size of my Goryeong's downtown area nonetheless. Except the entire thing is abandoned, rusted and overgrown. The interiors are still fully furnished though, just heavily covered in dust.

Awesome. A return trip with a camera will obviously be a must.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

KirbyKhan posted:

That doesnt really explain the recent trend of retardation. There have always been dumb new rotations, such as mine, but we never did anything to get shot by the fuzz.

Unintended reaction to subconscious fear of poo poo going down with NK?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I believe it is just a side effect of 18 year olds getting dumber these days. KIDS THESE DAYS :doom:

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Toussaint Louverture posted:

Hahahaha, it's more likely the GI bars a cutting their vodka with rubbing alcohol cuz we cant tell the difference

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

I believe it is just a side effect of 18 year olds getting dumber these days. KIDS THESE DAYS :doom:

With their smart phones and their WiiUs and their bippity boppity boop beep bip!

terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

Bugblatter posted:

For several months I've been hearing rumors that there was a college in my town. I was fairly skeptical, since my location is so small that anyone in the college age range wouldn't go unnoticed, but this weekend I finally decided to find out for sure and investigate. Surprisingly, Naver does show a large university right next to Goryeong, about 15 minutes by bike from my apartment.

So I went there, and indeed there is a large college campus. It's mostly hidden by the mountains around it, but is nearly the size of my Goryeong's downtown area nonetheless. Except the entire thing is abandoned, rusted and overgrown. The interiors are still fully furnished though, just heavily covered in dust.

How YOU doin'?

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

AmbientParadox posted:

In our defense, I'm pretty sure they were all Army (and the knife was a Korean-American contractor).

The worst us AF have got up to is randomly handcuffing civilians.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BrainDance posted:

Christ, this is the contact lenses all over again.

Yes, you can, and that's great. You can cook you own food or go to a restaurant, build your own computer or buy a mac, etc. etc.

If you are going to ask questions, dont get so loving pissy when someone answers them.

No, I am not in debt but I don't hire a maid because I don't want to.

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy

Bugblatter posted:

My town has an abandoned campus as well, some buildings are still used by the county though. Yang Yang must have an amazing national rep to keep getting these sweetheart construction gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I don't hire a maid because I'm terrified of all ajjumas.

:ohdear: If they found out where I live... :ohdear:

The school took all the troublemaker fifth graders and put them in one class. I have my own Wire season 4. If only I was allowed to forget the sylabus and go all amateur psychologist on them in broken English... :allears:

• Locked thread