Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Has anyone flipped or otherwise completely incapacitated the reasonably priced car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

Wikipedia posted:

The Liana endured considerable abuse from the stars while undertaking their laps. In one incident, actor Michael Gambon clipped the final corner, taking the car onto two wheels. It was done in such a spectacular fashion that the corner was named "Gambon Corner". Michael McIntyre also had a similar experience to Michael Gambon in the Chevrolet Lacetti, almost rolling the car on the last corner. Tom Cruise later went around the last corner on two wheels in the Kia Cee'd. When Lionel Richie drove the Liana, one of the front wheels fell off, invoking Clarkson to coin the term "pulling a Lionel". Trevor Eve also lost a wheel. The former British transport minister Stephen Ladyman added further injury to the Liana by denting the boot when he lost control during practice and slid backwards into a tyre wall. David Soul destroyed the gearbox of two Lianas during his time on the show due to his rough driving style. Patrick Kielty broke the Liana's front suspension during series 4 when he drove on the grass. Christopher Eccleston was the only celebrity to use a Liana with an automatic transmission, because a hesitant Eccleston admitted he was "only qualified to drive an automatic." To accommodate his needs, Top Gear succeeded in borrowing an automatic Liana, of which only 40 existed in the UK. As a reference to his role in Doctor Who, the automatic Liana was shown materialising onto the racing track, with a TARDIS materialisation sound effect played over it.

The Liana has also been modified on several occasions. David Soul's Liana featured a red police light and a white stripe in reference to his Starsky and Hutch role. Johnny Vegas was provided with 'L' plates as he had not passed his driving test at the time. When Justin Hawkins came on the show, the Liana he drove had flame decals pasted on it. Actor Sanjeev Bhaskar had an ornate tissue box placed in the back, an homage to Indian drivers.

In its service, the Liana covered 1,600 laps of the circuit; its tyres and brakes were changed 100 times; and it required six new clutches, two new hubs, driveshafts, wishbones, struts and gear linkages and a replacement wing mirror.[26]

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

Jeff Goldblum also briefly drove a automatic Liana. However according to Clarkson it broke and he was forced to use a manual. Which he gladly accepted when he heard it was faster. However, he somehow got it into his head that stig told him never to take it out of third. Which is of course why you can hear the car bouncing off the limiter for most of the lap.

Froderick
Aug 15, 2007

You don't box in a vet.
I laughed more at Rutledge saying "I just thought you would like it! It doesn't have anything to do with Katie!" than in anything in the new Africa special.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Watching the live stream now, things seem to be going swimmingly.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Hahahahahaha Africanized A-Team theme. Genius.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
That was pretty grand I must say.

MechPlasma
Jan 30, 2013
This is the first time I've actually watched an episode when it came out, and be able to comment on it.

So with this monumental occasion, let me reach down into my heart, and deliver my true feeling for the episode, laid bare for all to see:

I enjoyed that.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Great episode. When Clarkson's handbrake smashed his window that was genuinely unexpectedly funny.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Ak Gara posted:

Great episode. When Clarkson's handbrake smashed his window that was genuinely unexpectedly funny.
The dawning comprehension on Hammond and May's faces really made that scene. Take that, scripting!

KillerKatten
Oct 26, 2010
It looked as if they first looked down on the handbrake as Clarkson was also looking at that quite dumbfounded, before Hammond slowly looked up at the window and it dawned on him, which was glorious.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

That poor Volvo.

Also, were the Volvo and BMW running on the same rims? The spares seemed to match.

silly
Jul 15, 2004

"I saw it get by the mound, and I saw Superman at second base."
That was a truly great special.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Right, for me that was definitely the best Special they've done. The whole little bit where they revealed they'd cannibalised each others cars was great.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
God the cinematography in this special was just gorgeous. Whenever Top Gear ends that crew is going to be able to write their own tickets.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

Residency Evil posted:

God the cinematography in this special was just gorgeous. Whenever Top Gear ends that crew is going to be able to write their own tickets.

Except when it comes to nature documentaries.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

McDragon posted:

Right, for me that was definitely the best Special they've done. The whole little bit where they revealed they'd cannibalised each others cars was great.
CCCCLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN
And James going on and on about how poor of a job Jeremy did is what put it really over the top.

nmfree fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 11, 2013

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I wanna see Hammond's repair job up close.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Mister Kingdom posted:

Seriously I was majorly impressed by that roadside fix.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cakefool posted:

That poor Volvo.

Also, were the Volvo and BMW running on the same rims? The spares seemed to match.

It appeared the supply trucks just kept a lot of spare wheels that were the same style. I wonder if the Volvo and BMW have the same pattern or something.

Also, yeah that was fantastic. I was genuinely biting my nails when they were crossing the river on their homemade raft.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

CornHolio posted:

I was genuinely biting my nails when they were crossing the river on their homemade raft.

God same here haha. And I actually had to pause it when the parking log shattered Clarkson's rear window I was laughing so hard.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Mister Kingdom posted:

So he broke his control arm and sway bar? Or am i misunderstanding something.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Alighieri posted:

Except when it comes to nature documentaries.

I thought that was the funniest joke. It seemed so candid and real. Second funniest were the loving credits :lol:

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
I honestly thought Clarkson was going to pee into it at the end.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ak Gara posted:

I honestly thought Clarkson was going to pee into it at the end.

Haha! Glad I'm not the only one.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

opengl128 posted:

Haha! Glad I'm not the only one.
Me as well.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Kenshin posted:

Me as well.
Me four.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Hmm, I'm also now realizing that Hammond never set fire to his car

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was honestly expecting some naturalist or Simon Cowell or something to already be there at the end.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Preoptopus posted:

So he broke his control arm and sway bar? Or am i misunderstanding something.

Yup, and repaired it on the side of an African dirt track well enough to beat on it to the finish. Support truck aside that's impressive.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Good lord, that was well worth the wait for the second part. Nth'ing all the comments about that being their greatest special, I was seriously impressed. Also, love the bit where the production crew's car sank and they just all died laughing. Sweet revenge :allears:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nile#BBC_Top_Gear

That didn't take long.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Good end to the special episode, but I dunno I think Vietnam, Bolivia, and polar special were both a little better. This one didn't seem like it needed to be 2 hours.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

That was absolutely fantastic. Very, very happy with this series.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

T1g4h posted:

Good lord, that was well worth the wait for the second part. Nth'ing all the comments about that being their greatest special, I was seriously impressed. Also, love the bit where the production crew's car sank and they just all died laughing. Sweet revenge :allears:

I don't think that was the production crew's car, it was the backup car. The Ford Station Wagon that was the penalty car

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I don't think that was the production crew's car, it was the backup car. The Ford Station Wagon that was the penalty car

Yeah, but they specifically mentioned the production crew after it sank. At least I think they did. I know it was the penalty car, but I could swear they mentioned something about getting back at the production crew after it happened. I could be wrong though v:shobon:v

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I think they mention the production crew because they were the ones responsible for dragging it out of the river (because they put it there.)

This was probably my favourite special to date, just slightly above Vietnam.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Why are we spoiling things that already aired this is retarded. Keep out of the thread if you are watching it on catch up...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Why are we spoiling things that already aired this is retarded. Keep out of the thread if you are watching it on catch up...

That's pretty much the whole of it. Every Sunday I end up clicking this thread without thinking and then mash back to get away. I end up having to go back through the thread to find my real last read post. Once it has aired, it's fair game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dantes
Sep 3, 2003
It can never be too cold.

Cojawfee posted:

I end up having to go back through the thread to find my real last read post.
Is it because you want to make sure you don't see any spoilers or because you didn't know there is a button to mark a specific post as your last read ?