Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
I got around to cleaning/rebuilding my spindles and hubs the other day and found out that my spindle had a groove worn into it. This being a Porsche, and more over a low production S model, this means that the spindle costs $2000 from Porsche, or there is someone selling a pair for $1600 that are NOS. Used spindles are about $250-300 each. So I said nuts to all of those choices and got myself acquainted with a new tool/repair method: the Speedi-Sleeve. I had never heard of these, but holy poo poo, whoever thought of this needs to be awarded a loving Nobel Peace Prize. Basically it's just a really thin sleeve made in a lot of different sizes that can be pounded on and provides a new sealing surface. That said, it's more difficult when you have to trim the sleeve to the correct size and modify the install tool, but all in all still easy.

Before:

After:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Timing belt on (not my) VW Passat. It was amazing, whoever did the last timing belt replaced every single bolt, nut and clip so I did the same. I've never seen that before on any car that's had the belt done at least once.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

DropShadow posted:

I also debadged my car over the weekend, and learned a very valuable lesson: When using Goo Gone with a microfiber towel, make sure that the towel is white, especially if you have a white car. For if you have a white car and you use a brand new yellow microfiber towel that hasn't been washed yet, the Goo Gone will cause the yellow dye to seep from the towel and embed itself into the clear coat of your car, leaving a rather noticeable yellow stain across your trunk, requiring you to have a friend (who is luckily a professional detailer) spend two hours fixing your mistake.

At first I thought that it was just bad luck with a microfiber dye lot, then as I started to consider... I don't think I've ever used Goo Gone with anything other than a paper towel. For an operation requiring Goo Gone, it'll need more polishing afterwards, so I've never been particularly worried about using a slightly abrasive paper towel (plus no dye!).

On white cars scratches are so much less noticeable that it's not even an issue.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Apparently I accidentally ordered one shock. Looks like I'm eating a doubled shipping cost - which invalidates the lower price online in the first place.

oops. I'd order the rear set too to get a full deal, but my spouse was concerned with how often I buy things online vs. her. Probably best to lay low for a minute.

edit: or buy one local and keep my trap shut.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Swapped these out for some new ones.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Devyl posted:

Swapped these out for some new ones.

Hopefully the new ones were longer!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Amoan posted:

Wiper and GTI badge removal. Not sure if I want the VR6 to go yet!!

Serious question: Why remove the rear wiper? I had one of these and that back window turns to grime city driving in the rain.

DropShadow
Apr 15, 2003

DoesNotCompute posted:

Serious question: Why remove the rear wiper? I had one of these and that back window turns to grime city driving in the rain.

I've never understood this either. Having owned a couple hatches and wagons, and I need a rear wiper. In Minnesota, the rear window is dirty pretty much all winter.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I wish I had a rear wiper on my sedan. It's not quite as bad as a hatchback or wagon, but it still gets dirty.

Amoan
Nov 5, 2009

LIGHTS!:science:

DoesNotCompute posted:

The motor was trashed and I wash it once a week

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Amoan posted:

The motor was trashed and I wash it once a week

Makes sense, also noticed the Texas plates, here in Montreal there's 6 months of the year where salt coats absolutely everything and you go through a tank of washer fluid every 2 weeks. Oh to live somewhere dry and warm.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

KozmoNaut posted:

I wish I had a rear wiper on my sedan. It's not quite as bad as a hatchback or wagon, but it still gets dirty.

Me too. Even with a reversing camera (and RainX), having no rear wiper makes it hard to reverse in wet conditions.

If it was an optional extra I'd pay whatever unreasonable price that Ford would assumedly want for it.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm contractually obligated by Global Brands (owners of RainX© and all associated products) to mention that RainX is loving awesome on motorcycle helmet visors and side mirrors on cars.

Carry on.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

~Coxy posted:

Me too. Even with a reversing camera (and RainX), having no rear wiper makes it hard to reverse in wet conditions.

If it was an optional extra I'd pay whatever unreasonable price that Ford would assumedly want for it.

They'd probably make it only available in some package with a bunch of stupid bullshit you don't want for an extra $1,300

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Girlfriend was complaining of a grinding sound from her drivers side under braking.

Outside pads and rotors certainly don't look bad:

Let's look at the inside. :stare: :gonk:

Looks like I'm doing brakes this weekend. Also what would cause the inside pads/rotor to wear so much more rapidly than the outside? Something wrong with the piston?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Probably the slide pins aren't letting the caliper slide back and forth. The caliper needs to slide back and forth to equalize pressure applied on both sides of the rotor.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Sliding calipers? If she rides the brakes slightly it's possible the inside pad could just drag on the face FOREVER and not have enough pressure to engage the other pad.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Yeah, sliding calipers. I'll be sure to grease the pins while I'm at it.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I did engine and clutch diagnostics and a bleed to a car I was supposed to buy but crapped out on the trip to buy it. gently caress yesterday.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Rear Springs on the '93 Volvo 240. I had no idea that 240's had a live axle rear end :haw:

I did the whole job in 30 minutes. I loving LOVE my Craftsman 1/2" impact and every home mechanic should strive to add one to their arsenal of tools. Easily shaved an hour off of my time spent doing this.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I took my winter wheels and tires off and threw my summers back one. I think I will be safe from here on out.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I finally took it on its first road course. It was a lot of fun and a bit terrifying to actually be on a track with other cars, quite a bit different from the auto-x experience! Firebird Raceway has some pretty neat tracks and I would recommend it to any AZ goons. I did manage to overcook a turn and put a wheel off track, of course it had to be one of the only days in the year that the track sees mud and I managed to cover the entire passenger side in it :v:

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Put on the new shocks on the front of the binder, and now driving down the freeway is significantly less terrifying.

Also found a wicked crack (but no signs of fluid) on one of the brake lines. I'm parked until that's fixed I think.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Woke up to the factory alarm going apeshit. Doors were still closed/locked, no signs of someone trying to break in. Going to replace the door switches (5 minutes for both) and hope that's all it was. At least they're dirt cheap and easy to get to.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

Previa_fun posted:

Looks like I'm doing brakes this weekend. Also what would cause the inside pads/rotor to wear so much more rapidly than the outside? Something wrong with the piston?

$0.20 worth of cobber-grease on the slider-pins could have prevented this havoc :(

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Sir Cornelius posted:

$0.20 worth of cobber-grease on the slider-pins could have prevented this havoc :(

Yeah, that was definitely the problem. The slide pins on the driver's side were crusty and lovely so I cleaned them real good and they got greased. Passenger side was fine. :iiam:

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Made a license plate bracket that sits underneath the bumper and bolts into the lower driver's side radiator hole.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Took my rental car for a spin on Skyline Boulevard in the bay area today...

http://goo.gl/maps/qJRsL

Probably the most fun I've ever had in a bone-stock FWD automatic econobox.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Picked it up yesterday, got home today! 02 Suzuka Blue AP1 with 58 (now 59..) thou

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
God drat.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Nodoze posted:

Picked it up yesterday, got home today! 02 Suzuka Blue AP1 with 58 (now 59..) thou

Awesome car, but whenever I see that blue interior all I can think of is the interior of the Mercury Mystique, since I test drove one when I was 16 (thank christ I didn't buy it)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Yeah it's not for everyone. I didn't like it at first but I warmed up to it.

Here's one more from a break area in Virginia

I took the drive home pretty easy, but I did let it rip as few times on straightaways coming back onto the highway. The sound is incredible

I need to find a big empty parking lot so I can see what it really takes to lose the rear end. I drove the whole first half of the way back pretty nervous I'd do something unintentionally bad.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Looks great dude. Any plans on tap?

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Looks great dude. Any plans on tap?

Gonna try to leave it all stock. I want to add a good alarm system and maybe seat heaters and a better head unit. I'd like to get an OEM spoiler too, and eventually a hard top ($$)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Nodoze posted:

Gonna try to leave it all stock. I want to add a good alarm system and maybe seat heaters and a better head unit. I'd like to get an OEM spoiler too, and eventually a hard top ($$)

BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRING.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

While you're messing with the seats you may want to change the bolts out for a security set.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

opengl128 posted:

While you're messing with the seats you may want to change the bolts out for a security set.

Yeah I already asked the guy on S2KI how much a set would be

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Did the front brakes, and 3 out of 4 shocks/springs on my 2001 Prizm. I absolutely love quick struts, no spring compressor needed, just 5 bolts and you're done.

...However, I live in the northeast and every bolt on it is completely hosed and needs 24 hours of PB blaster to even consider breaking loose. Me and my stronger friend were able to get 3 done, but I stripped an alan key bolt for the rear left swaybar end link. Not my pic but its this right here:

I am going to try again today and hammer in a slightly larger alan key. It was a loving complete bitch on the other side but I did do it. If all else fails I will get a new end link, but I don't know how I am going to rip it off though...

Lesson learned, always fly south to buy cars, the cost of the flight/drive back will be paid off tenfold from the lack of rust.
My arms are covered in bruises.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Voltage posted:

Did the front brakes, and 3 out of 4 shocks/springs on my 2001 Prizm. I absolutely love quick struts, no spring compressor needed, just 5 bolts and you're done.

...However, I live in the northeast and every bolt on it is completely hosed and needs 24 hours of PB blaster to even consider breaking loose. Me and my stronger friend were able to get 3 done, but I stripped an alan key bolt for the rear left swaybar end link. Not my pic but its this right here:

I am going to try again today and hammer in a slightly larger alan key. It was a loving complete bitch on the other side but I did do it. If all else fails I will get a new end link, but I don't know how I am going to rip it off though...

Lesson learned, always fly south to buy cars, the cost of the flight/drive back will be paid off tenfold from the lack of rust.

I feel your pain. In NY, trying to switch out my shocks. Day 3. Bottom bolts on both sides came right off. Top bolts...not so much. Moved on from PB and Liquid Wrench to a propane torch. Stripped out one torx head already. :(

The worst thing is I promised my mom I'd go to her house and let her dog out, which is an hour north. So by 11:30 at the latest I gotta put both wheels back on and try again tomorrow.

Edit: Got one! :black101:

Astroman fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Voltage posted:

If you end up getting a new endlink, just clamp a vice grip on the back of the old one, right over the boot. Worked great for me when I ran into the same issue.