Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sir Kodiak posted:

Many Republicans are neoliberal. Supporting world peace by buying Stark products is an extension of neoliberal philanthropy represented by such things as supporting breast cancer research by buying a particular model of electric mixer.

Yeah but he does explicitly not want the government to interfere. Modern Neo-liberalism depends on the State for force projection of their ideals and institutions like the IMF for economic projection.

Stark is, if anything, a modern Privateer or Mercenary - a dude who catches bad guys, and sells services to the local State (country), but is not under the control of and aggressively defends his independence from any given country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

DeimosRising posted:

Stark doesn't change at all in Iron Man 2, that's (among the) reason(s) the film sucks. It sets him up to realize his achievements are built on a dishonest foundation, that his hubris is endangering his life, and he isn't really solving any problems - indeed he's hardly doing enough good to make up for all the harm he's done before - then it discards all that and it turns out his dad was a wizard-saint and all the people he worked with were just jealous jerks and Iron Man rules and he was right all along.

I wasn't really implying that he was changing in Iron Man 2, but rather he was dealing with all the things brought on from the first movie. Because of the arc reactor and the attention Tony receives for it/Iron Man, Vanko comes out of the woodwork to seek revenge for his father. Because he created this amazing potential weapon, the US government wants him to turn it over and work with the military. SHIELD wants to deal with him for the Avengers Initiative. All this stuff is happening, and meanwhile he's dying and is trying to process what is happening and what he needs to do.

It's not a movie about massive growth and change. It's a movie about the fallout of the first movie. And now Iron Man 3 seems like it'll be about the fallout of The Avengers.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Veib posted:

Bridges was on either The Daily Show or Colbert Report a few months ago and he was completely The Dude. It was more awkwardly terrible than funny, though.

I wonder if he's doing it intentionally at times because of how often it slips out. Like in Tron Legacy where he actually says "You're messing with my zen, man." in the voice of The Dude.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I think at one point he and the Dude must have just had this collision of zen and emerged like a butterfly from a cocoon of a mellowed out person.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Hewlett posted:

Sounds pretty neoliberal to me, dude. You may be thinking of progressives, or the modern usage of 'liberal.'
I most certainly was. Withdrawn.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, I forget which site ran it but after the movie came out someone wrote an article where they tried to make sense of what Iron Man II's plot was in an earlier treatment before all the SHIELD stuff was jammed in there. The crux of the idea was that Tony's dad actually had screwed Venko's dad out of the plans and Tony's growth came from realizing that and taking responsibility, but that because Marvel wanted Howard Stark in Captain America villainizing him was nixed. Who knows if it was baseless or not, but it was a pretty convincing breakdown.

Probably this one comparing it to the Fisher King.

Everything about Iron Man 2 is great except for the most important part, the script.

And Iron Man is a fundamentally conservative character, and the filmmakers haven't been interested in critiquing that. All his villains are Russian and Chinese for a reason. There's a Stan Lee quote floating around where he says that it was a deliberate choice to make a hero that represented everything 60s hippies opposed.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Omnomnomnivore posted:

And Iron Man is a fundamentally conservative character, and the filmmakers haven't been interested in critiquing that.

Don't you think that this is problematic in of itself?

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Intrusive Thoughts posted:

I wonder if he's doing it intentionally at times because of how often it slips out. Like in Tron Legacy where he actually says "You're messing with my zen, man." in the voice of The Dude.

Most of The Dude's wardrobe in Lebowski belonged to Bridges, and then there's his acceptance speech for Crazy Heart.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

A human heart posted:

Sure! I'd love to see Iron Man comics get the Starship Troopers treatment.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Apparently he was concerned that the Coen Brothers were stalking him because The Dude is so close to his 'normal'.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

A human heart posted:

Not unless you think good conservative fiction is an impossibility, which is just silly.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Any kind of fiction that isn't willing to examine its own foundation with a critical eye from time to time is problematic because it quickly turns into propaganda.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Travis343 posted:

Any kind of fiction that isn't willing to examine its own foundation with a critical eye from time to time is problematic because it quickly turns into propaganda.

That, and all the good conservative films(Red Dawn,300, battle: Los Angeles) are pretty much as anti imperialist as can be. Or to paraphrase the poo poo out of SMG:"[these fillms show that]...some conservatives have lovely values, but they are nonetheless valuable allies against imperialism". Iron Mon, on the other hand, LOVES imperialism to the point where Tony Stark makes snide remarks about terrorists living in caves...that turn out to be completely correct, since the terrorists to live in caves etc etc.

It's extra funny regarding the Mandarin, because while the racism of the character is deplorable, if the movie actually had the balls to say"no, the Mandarin is an evil chinese dude that get support from the chinese government, which is also evil, incidentally"it would have been a genuinely ballsy and inspiring call to arms for the actually important values of liberalism(freedom of speech,liberty etc). Instead we get Ben Kingsley playing a weird frankenstein esque mishmash of every minority group that has ever gone against america, specifically to make the movie acceptable in China.

Jesus christ this movie looks bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Travis343 posted:

I suppose I'm able to distinguish between propaganda and art that holds a viewpoint contrary to my own.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Hellbunny posted:

That, and all the good conservative films(Red Dawn,300, battle: Los Angeles) are pretty much as anti imperialist as can be. Or to paraphrase the poo poo out of SMG:"[these fillms show that]...some conservatives have lovely values, but they are nonetheless valuable allies against imperialism". Iron Mon, on the other hand, LOVES imperialism to the point where Tony Stark makes snide remarks about terrorists living in caves...that turn out to be completely correct, since the terrorists to live in caves etc etc.

It's extra funny regarding the Mandarin, because while the racism of the character is deplorable, if the movie actually had the balls to say"no, the Mandarin is an evil chinese dude that get support from the chinese government, which is also evil, incidentally"it would have been a genuinely ballsy and inspiring call to arms for the actually important values of liberalism(freedom of speech,liberty etc). Instead we get Ben Kingsley playing a weird frankenstein esque mishmash of every minority group that has ever gone against america, specifically to make the movie acceptable in China.

My feeling is is that its less what you said and maybe the fact that EVIL CHINAMAN is both recognizably racist and is probably not as powerful imagery as when the character first appeared.

Jesus Christ this movie looks great!

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Hellbunny posted:

So, do you think the way Mandarin was depicted in the early comics was genuinely ballsy?

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

Rough Lobster posted:

My feeling is is that its less what you said and maybe the fact that EVIL CHINAMAN is both recognizably racist and is probably not as powerful imagery as when the character first appeared.

To be honest, Mandarin works so long as he doesn't run around looking like Fu Manchu. The classic look is pretty sketchy and lame these days, but there isn't much wrong with the concept. Evil Chinese scientist, martial arts practitioner, and owner of some powerful rings.

EDIT Either way, I am looking forward to seeing how he is portrayed in this movie.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Grendels Dad posted:

So, do you think the way Mandarin was depicted in the early comics was genuinely ballsy?
Just a heads-up, it is in fact possible to depict an evil Chinese man without making him a cartoonish, racist stereotype.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

TetsuoTW posted:

Just a heads-up, it is in fact possible to depict an evil Chinese man without making him a cartoonish, racist stereotype.

I bet if they made a character named The Mandarin actually Chinese and had him be a supervillain, China would actually blacklist all of Marvel/Disney's movies for the year.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Peter Sellers played a good Fu Manchu.

What's up with Thor? IIRC in Avengers he just shows up, but at the end of his movie the teleporter was broken. And Natalie Portman is chasing these reguularly-timed storms? Were other Asgardians porting to Earth every day or something before Thor was banished?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

effectual posted:

What's up with Thor? IIRC in Avengers he just shows up, but at the end of his movie the teleporter was broken. And Natalie Portman is chasing these reguularly-timed storms? Were other Asgardians porting to Earth every day or something before Thor was banished?

As Loki said in Thor, the Bifrost is just one way people can enter and exit Asgard. Heimdall also can see stuff across space on other worlds. He probably told Odin and Thor about the Tesseract and Loki being on Earth. Odin then used an incredible amount of energy to transport Thor to Earth to retrieve them. Thor and Loki are able to return to Asgard only because they have the Tesseract.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

effectual posted:

Were other Asgardians porting to Earth every day or something before Thor was banished?

If you'd spent the last thousand years eating infinitely-resurrecting goats, you'd use the portal to visit a place with some decent restaurants too.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually just rewatched the Avengers and forgotten how much I loved that drat film. I wish they would make a Hulk movie. Is Natalie Portman in the new upcoming Thor film?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hollis posted:

I actually just rewatched the Avengers and forgotten how much I loved that drat film. I wish they would make a Hulk movie. Is Natalie Portman in the new upcoming Thor film?

Yes, and I think so will Stellan Saarsgard. Not sure about Kat Dennings, though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The MSJ posted:

Yes, and I think so will Stellan Saarsgard. Not sure about Kat Dennings, though.

God I hope not.

DFu4ever
Oct 4, 2002

The MSJ posted:

I'm pretty sure she's back for it as well.

Rhyno posted:

God I hope not.

:frogout:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DFu4ever posted:

I'm pretty sure she's back for it as well.

:frogout:

OH MY GOD SHE HAS HUGE TITS.

And she's a loving horrible actress.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Hollis posted:

I actually just rewatched the Avengers and forgotten how much I loved that drat film. I wish they would make a Hulk movie.

They already made 2.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Kat Dennings rules.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

penismightier posted:

Kat Dennings rules.

Disagreeing with you is NOT Mod Sass and you are wrong!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
She's certainly not the main thing wrong with Thor (what's up with all the dutch angles?) and she's okay in Defendor. And what does her bra size have to do with her acting?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

penismightier posted:

Kat Dennings rules.

I've been fine with her in everything else I've ever seen her in, but her character in Thor was loving useless.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

OH MY GOD SHE HAS HUGE TITS.

Which you never get to see at all in Thor. Chris Hemsworth was the most scantily-clad actor in the whole movie, surely a feat in a movie with Kat Dennings.

Marvel knows most comic book nerds and action movie fans are men, so they pull in the ladies with a very charismatic actor going topless. They did it again with Captain America.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

effectual posted:

She's certainly not the main thing wrong with Thor (what's up with all the dutch angles?) and she's okay in Defendor. And what does her bra size have to do with her acting?

She's the absolute worst thing in Thor. In a cast that good she's the weakest link.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

I've been fine with her in everything else I've ever seen her in, but her character in Thor was loving useless.

Yeah but so were all the other characters besides Thor. Even Loki was pretty useless.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

She's the absolute worst thing in Thor. In a cast that good she's the weakest link.

Why, what's wrong with her? I found her very charming.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

penismightier posted:

Why, what's wrong with her? I found her very charming.

She was absolutely useless. What does she add to the film other than stupid one liners? You could replace her with a sign sitting in a bucket of sand.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

Rhyno posted:

She was absolutely useless. What does she add to the film other than stupid one liners? You could replace her with a sign sitting in a bucket of sand.

Naw, I don't think so. She didn't get much to work with but she took her small thankless part and made it memorable and fun. Contributes to the general levity and slice-of-life quality that makes Thor the second best of all the Marvel films.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

penismightier posted:

Naw, I don't think so. She didn't get much to work with but she took her small thankless part and made it memorable and fun. Contributes to the general levity and slice-of-life quality that makes Thor the second best of all the Marvel films.

I agree with your ranking of the film but her stupid "meow meow" bullshit is incredibly grating. The film would have been every bit as good without her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My opinion of Kat Dennings is clouded by that stupid sitcom she's on that I catch moments of whenever I forget to change the channel. 2 broke girls I think

• Locked thread