Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iceslice
May 20, 2005
I've moved to WA and Sprint has gotten even more insane. In Lacey, right off the 5 I get 4g LTE. 3 miles up the highway on JBLM I'm roaming for scraps. I don't have a point to this post other then to bitch, gently caress Sprint.

LTE is fast and awesome thought.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Would be nice if Sprint remembered Wisconsin existed. I know Milwaukee isn't the biggest city, but blah.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I Dont Like You posted:

Would be nice if Sprint remembered Wisconsin existed. I know Milwaukee isn't the biggest city, but blah.

Sup invisible-to-Sprint buddy. Omaha's close enough for Dan Hesse to smell it in KC when I take a notably odiferous poo poo, but we might as well be on Mars when it comes to the NV rollout.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
So the digitizer on my EVO 3D has poo poo itself and is in the process of dying now. I've got CM on the bitch, though the problem continues regardless of type of ROM, including through a factory reset. I'm assuming the Sprint store, if I stop by today on the way home from work, is gonna tell me to go flash the stock OS back on before they're willing to exchange it. Am I right?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Network Vision: This poo poo isn't a rollout, it's a trollout.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

So the digitizer on my EVO 3D has poo poo itself and is in the process of dying now. I've got CM on the bitch, though the problem continues regardless of type of ROM, including through a factory reset. I'm assuming the Sprint store, if I stop by today on the way home from work, is gonna tell me to go flash the stock OS back on before they're willing to exchange it. Am I right?

Eh, they shouldn't care about hardware, officially policy is you are only SOL if its software issues (which I think is fair). There are dicks out there so someone could be bitchy, but you shouldn't have an issue overall.

Take it in, if the store has stock repairing a 3D screen is time consuming but pretty easy and works as well as any 3D touchscreen will (like, 2 months I guess).

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, they shouldn't care about hardware, officially policy is you are only SOL if its software issues (which I think is fair). There are dicks out there so someone could be bitchy, but you shouldn't have an issue overall.

Take it in, if the store has stock repairing a 3D screen is time consuming but pretty easy and works as well as any 3D touchscreen will (like, 2 months I guess).

Our techs tell custom ROMs to walk.
Restore stock.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

EbolaIvory posted:

Restore stock.

That's the dumbest thing ever for a hardware problem. That's just straight up lazy.

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

EbolaIvory posted:

Restore stock.

When I worked in a repair store we did the same. Pretty much everyone who had a rom on their phone was pretty understanding.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

FlyingCheese posted:

That's the dumbest thing ever for a hardware problem. That's just straight up lazy.

Not really. Technically you modified your phone. So yeah good luck. Its not about lazy. When they end up swapping it because its logic board and not digitizer. It should be on our techs to restore your stupid ROM? So. You should cost the company more money because stock isn't your thing? That's fair?

Our stores techs are busy all day. They don't have time to restore stock ROMs to peoples broken rear end phones all day so we Dont get dinged for replacing modified devices.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Not really. Technically you modified your phone. So yeah good luck. Its not about lazy. When they end up swapping it because its logic board and not digitizer. It should be on our techs to restore your stupid ROM? So. You should cost the company more money because stock isn't your thing? That's fair?

Our stores techs are busy all day. They don't have time to restore stock ROMs to peoples broken rear end phones all day so we Dont get dinged for replacing modified devices.

Does corp ding techs for ROMs? It just never seemed to be an issue, and for a hardware issue it never seemed to matter much anyway.

That being said, it's no like any other carrier is remotely friendlier to stuff like that, so it's not exactly a huge deal. Any modding is always done as risk.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

No it's not. The carriers actually do significant testing and create support documentation of every rom they release. Something that seems like a hardware issue could easily be caused by a ROM. No reason to support people doing stupid stuff, most of the times people don't but restore to stock/relock if you want support.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
No one is asking about restoring custom roms for people. I'm just saying, obvious hardware problems such as a bad digitizer or broken screen or a loose usb connection should still be fixed, they have absolutely nothing to do with the rom that is put on it. With any software issues of course you have to go back to stock.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

FlyingCheese posted:

No one is asking about restoring custom roms for people. I'm just saying, obvious hardware problems such as a bad digitizer or broken screen or a loose usb connection should still be fixed, they have absolutely nothing to do with the rom that is put on it. With any software issues of course you have to go back to stock.

This debate always goes no where, and I think in the end the reality is that modding is at your own risk, wireless companies may elect to not support your device in any fashion as a result, and that's basically that.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

FlyingCheese posted:

No one is asking about restoring custom roms for people. I'm just saying, obvious hardware problems such as a bad digitizer

As stated this won't go anywhere, but my point was some seemingly hardware related problems like a not accepting touches correctly could be a bad rom and not necessarily a hardware problem.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I don't think it unreasonable for stores/techs to refuse devices that aren't running a vendor stock OS. This isn't really anything new to phones either. If I've ever had to ship a laptop in for warranty repair (and, for some reason, had to ship it with the hard disk) then I would reimage it with the stock OS first and confirm it still suffers from whatever problem.

It's a lot easier for techs to deal with devices where the software is a known quantity. Also, while we all might request repair for devices that suffer from legitimate hardware problems, inevitably many devices sent in by average users would suffer issues related to a custom ROM itself. Really, it's a nightmare.

That said, things would be a lot easier for users if handset manufacturers released fully-flashable stock firmware images. Granted, that might cause a support nightmare itself. But it's a lot easier to tell someone "you need to install stock firmware first, you can download it from [vendor]'s website", than, "oh, those shady xda guys might have if the only copy wasn't on megaupload."

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Ender.uNF posted:

Approximately 815 updated sites today in: Chicago (92), Upstate NY Central (50), VT/NH/ME (49), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (47), Boston (44), San Diego (39), Indianapolis (32), Austin (29), Northern Connecticut (22), SF Bay (22), Minnesota (20), Riverside/San Bernardino (20), Tampa (20), Louisiana (19), Orange County (19), Washington DC (19), Atlanta/Athens (17), Orlando (17), San Antonio (17), Houston (16), East Michigan (15), PR/VI (15), LA Metro (13), Nashville (12), Alabama (10), Charlotte (9), The Panhandle (9), Upstate NY East (9), Philadelphia Metro (8), New Orleans (7), Oregon/SW Washington (7), Southern Connecticut (7), Gulf Coast (6), Long Island (6), Northern Jersey (6), West Michigan (6), GA/SC Coast (5), Jacksonville (5), New York City (5), North LA (5), Baltimore (4), Miami/West Palm (4), DFW (3), Georgia (3), Las Vegas (3), Phoenix (3), Central Jersey (2), Delaware (2), East Texas (2), Kansas (2), Providence (2), Raleigh/Durham (2), South Carolina (2), West Washington (2), Myrtle Beach (1), Norfolk (1).

I dreamt that someone posted an update with the Milwaukee market on it. I need to get out more..

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Well, they're doing something south of Cincinnati. We're having issues where people's calls are being connected to the wrong people.

One of our other stores in Indiana says they had that sort of problem when they started rolling out Network Vision.

Doesn't really help the pissed-off customers to tell them it's because of a network upgrade in progress unfortunately.

atomicvocabulary
Oct 21, 2002

Say hello to the sunrise for me...

td4guy posted:

Selling your old phone just got a little bit easier. Looks like Boost and Virgin Mobile people can use them too now.
Sprint Gives MVNOs an Alternative to Phone Subsidies Through “Bring Your Own Sprint Device” Program

When does this begin?

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Well, I would replace the screen on that 3D even if the rom wasn't stock cause we can always use repairs to balance out the exchanges on phones we can't fix.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Well they couldn't do anything, but specifically because they couldn't run the htc diagnostics line test. Got a stock rom on it now, and it fails the line test pretty well. Hooray.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nur_Neerg posted:

Well they couldn't do anything, but specifically because they couldn't run the htc diagnostics line test. Got a stock rom on it now, and it fails the line test pretty well. Hooray.

If they mean it failed a Slate test Slate is he most worthless tool ever and passing or failing it really means close to nothing. Yet Sprint is huge on reps using it (it allows them to avoid fraudulent repairs). I hated Slate with a passion.

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
You can't even Slate the 3D's anymore so I don't know why they gave you that line. Hope they help you now that it's stock.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.
Not Slate, on a stock HTC you can dial in *#*#3424#*#* and get to a diagnostic menu. One of the options is a touch screen test.

If it's not doing something obviously weird in the store, usually that will show dead spots.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

TVs Ian posted:

Not Slate, on a stock HTC you can dial in *#*#3424#*#* and get to a diagnostic menu. One of the options is a touch screen test.

If it's not doing something obviously weird in the store, usually that will show dead spots.

Yeah, that. It shows two rows of like 8 pixels wide that are just being tripped over and over. Currently manifesting as me not being able to use my shade at all.

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

TVs Ian posted:

Well, they're doing something south of Cincinnati. We're having issues where people's calls are being connected to the wrong people.

One of our other stores in Indiana says they had that sort of problem when they started rolling out Network Vision.

Doesn't really help the pissed-off customers to tell them it's because of a network upgrade in progress unfortunately.

It's about goddamn time. Hopefully they move quickly to the North side (where I live) and then along the I-75 corridor (you know...only one of the most heavily traveled roads in America) to Dayton quickly...

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

TVs Ian posted:

I've always wondered... why don't custom ROMs ever have working dialer codes? Anyone know the reason why?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Personal experience trip report.

Memphis LTE roll out seems to be working nicely.
Didn't catch a 4g signal anywhere in Las Vegas this weekend...

St. Louis... Still the redheaded step child.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

td4guy posted:

I've always wondered... why don't custom ROMs ever have working dialer codes? Anyone know the reason why?
The codes are built into the actual dialer executable, as custom-made by the phone manufacturer. Roms based on stock may still use this, but those based on aosp/cm/etc will have an unmodified google dialer (or some other third party one).

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Krime posted:

Personal experience trip report.

Memphis LTE roll out seems to be working nicely.
Didn't catch a 4g signal anywhere in Las Vegas this weekend...

St. Louis... Still the redheaded step child.
I just donated to that S4GRU site and got access to their live maps.

4G hasn't been turned on in Vegas anywhere. 3G upgrades only for now (but no 850MHz SMR yet). 4G will probably have to wait until backhaul is in place. Or something like that.

St. Louis has a grand total of three cellular towers listed. One with upgraded 3G equipment (but no 850MHz SMR yet) and two "in progress" with no details.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

td4guy posted:

4G hasn't been turned on in Vegas anywhere. 3G upgrades only for now (but no 850MHz SMR yet). 4G will probably have to wait until backhaul is in place. Or something like that.

St. Louis has a grand total of three cellular towers listed. One with upgraded 3G equipment (but no 850MHz SMR yet) and two "in progress" with no details.

How's Flagstaff, AZ coming?

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

ThermoPhysical posted:

It's not. :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

td4guy posted:

It's not. :v:

About the same as Omaha then, makes sense. :v: Thanks!

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

There are like 5 towers done in AZ and about 90 permits pulled for starting towers. Flagstaff is probably a different maket that won't start until later though.

DanAdamKOF
Feb 11, 2007

It seems like whenever there's a tower handoff (in DFW) my streaming audio cuts out and has to re-connect, I guess when I go from 4G->3G. Makes it hard to drive around listening to Shoutcast streams. Can't wait for 4G throughout Dallas, whoever said "everywhere you have 3G will eventually have 4G" has me excited.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

DanAdamKOF posted:

Can't wait for 4G throughout Dallas, whoever said "everywhere you have 3G will eventually have 4G" has me excited.

Yep, 2018 is going to be a great year. I kid, I kid

But I am champing at the bit for them to get to work any where near me.

Chappy
Feb 12, 2002

wooom wooom vroooom ksh ksh vooom
Hahah loving Slate. The biggest pile of poo poo ever. I remember when it was promised to us that it would fix all sorts of problems, update software, etc.

When I left the company it literally did nothing useful at all. On most phones it wasn't even able to initiate the OTA software updates.

It was really good at unintentionally wiping the evo though.

God I'm so glad I don't work at that poo poo hole anymore. It was awesome for a while, but when your manager doesn't know or care about repair, and his manager and his managers manager feel the same, it makes it hard to do a good job.

Anonomono
Mar 12, 2013
I've always wondered this: When a major city gets LTE, how long does it take for the surrounding areas (Say San Fransisco -> Danville) to get LTE?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

td4guy posted:

Any chance you could check Seattle? I found an LTE connection at the airport on Thursday, but I haven't seen anything else around here. They were originally supposed to have launched by now, but I've heard their contractors have been repeatedly loving up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Kreeblah posted:

Any chance you could check Seattle? I found an LTE connection at the airport on Thursday, but I haven't seen anything else around here. They were originally supposed to have launched by now, but I've heard their contractors have been repeatedly loving up.
There are eight confirmed 4G sites (one by the airport) evenly distributed around the Seattle area and maybe twenty "in progress", which could mean anything.