Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm pretty sure all the N64 FPS games I own look much better than this. Retro aesthetics! :downs:

They also didn't say anything about alternate control schemes. Now I'm worried, how am I supposed to play Visorman on the OGLAF if I can't use the Turok controls (C buttons OUYA buttons for movement, left stick for aiming)? :ohdear:

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Mar 11, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

I'm pretty sure all the N64 FPS games I own look much better than this. Retro aesthetics!

Like the worst part about that screenshot is that the game has no aesthetics, 5 to 1 odds many of those assets weren't created by him. Look at the quality of the texture on the rock, and the ground next to it. Now look at the texture work on the gun. Even if a goldeneye graphics indie game could look good, this still wouldn't be it.

I'd be lying though if I said that "32/64 bit style" games aren't going to start creeping up across the indie games scene. poo poo that was part of the reason that half the 1 week OUYA dev party games looked like they were designed for an Atari Jaguar.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Red_Mage posted:

I'd be lying though if I said that "32/64 bit style" games aren't going to start creeping up across the indie games scene.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=122301377

Partly, among other styles.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Edit: ^^^^Man, that game is "We Couldn't Come Up With Our Own Ideas So Buy This Retro poo poo You Nostalgic Suckers: The Game." ^^^^

Red_Mage posted:

I don't think you understand how nostalgia works.

And this still happens. Even to the new standard of popular and a very low standard of good enough. Minecraft has numbers that can rival any AAA, Super Meat Boy has sold as many copies as Super Metroid or Megaman X. Anyone who bitches about how its harder than ever before to get your UNIQUE CREATIVE GAME to market, is objectively wrong.
Another issue is that "UNIQUE CREATIVE GAMES" don't often sell a kabillion copies unless they actually are interesting and fun to play for more than a quick "huh, well that sure was a thing" test. People buy Halo/CoD/[other popular shooters] because they like the games (though honestly, some people I've played with make me wonder :v:). I'm always interested to try a weird indie game that people tell me about, but more often than not, it seems as though the only thing to like about the game is "it's weird."

Super Meat Boy might be a sort of reimagining of N/N+, but it's a drat good one. The controls are incredibly tight, the presentation is "wacky," but not quite "monkey cheese," and the difficulty curve increases in what I'd consider a proper manner from "okay, that's easy" to "'gently caress you' hard," whereas N got straight up rude pretty quickly and was boring as gently caress to look at after a while. Orcs Must Die! is another fine example. Excellent presentation, good controls (even on a console), addicting gameplay, and a nice evolution on the Tower Defense genre.

What the indie crowd doesn't seem to realize is that it still takes time, manpower and investment to create a good game. You can't just puke out some half-assed idea, slap some "RETRO PIXEL ARTZ" all over it and make a mint. The look of the game is probably the least important part; if the gameplay's solid and you market well, who gives a gently caress if it looks like a 16-bit game? Can't wait until the whole tired trend presses the gently caress on.

TheGreatGildersneeze fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 11, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

See, that is about as up its own rear end as gaming can get (IMO) but at least like it seems to make an effort. Each style is internally consistent and looks (at a glance) more or less period accurate. The music was fitting, and for what it is it looks like it was worked on. Outside a game about eras of games though, I can think of almost no appeal to most of the quirks and limitations of late 90s gaming. Then again the survival horror thread on these very forums really likes tank controls, some things may never be explained.

TheGreatGildersneeze posted:

What the indie crowd doesn't seem to realize is that it still takes time, manpower and investment to create a good game. You can't just puke out some half-assed idea, slap some "RETRO PIXEL ARTZ" all over it and make a mint. The look of the game is probably the least important part; if the gameplay's solid and you market well, who gives a gently caress if it looks like a 16-bit game? Can't wait until the whole tired trend presses the gently caress on.

What are you talking about, I am sure that Fist of Awesome will outsell Halo of War: Black Ops 3 because it is not like the vapid poo poo that the plebs like. It is coming to the OHJOY don't you know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzaChzyYOhA

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 11, 2013

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

Red_Mage posted:

What are you talking about, I am sure that Fist of Awesome will outsell Halo of War: Black Ops 3 because it is not like the vapid poo poo that the plebs like. It is coming to the OHJOY don't you know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzaChzyYOhA
Truly, Marcus "Master Chief" MacTavish is quaking in his generic modern lowest common denominator shooter game that is ruining all of gaming forever and ever because I said so boots.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Red_Mage posted:

Each style is internally consistent and looks (at a glance) more or less period accurate.

That's pretty much my issue with 'retraux' throwbacks. I'm really sick of seeing "OMG 8 BITS" and the loving thing is natively 1920x1080, has 16 million colours, HDR and bloom out the rear end, etc. Just.. gently caress! Pick a console, look at it's limitations and stick to those.

There was a game a while back that I think ended up being part of an Indie Royale bundle that was kind of Contra-like and actually stuck to NES limitations and I appreciated it a lot more than something like Fist of Awesome.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
How dare you miserable toadies doubt the great Julie Uhrman. Grab onto your balls because you are about to meet your god. You degenerate slimebags don't deserve what you are going to get in the next 13 minutes or so, so get down on your knees.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKShpxdDkE&t=44s

Minecraft on the OUYA

Edit: the dude who made this video only had to go through 3 different versions to find one that would sideload correctly, and then he had to use a special sixaxis ps3 app to play it with a ps3 countroller because the OUYA's didn't work

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Mar 11, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
And before you ignorant cocksuckers start thinking that the OUYA cannot do AAA graphics, here's indie AAA title Dead Trigger which doesn't need the power of those loud unneeded big 3 to look better than Call of Duty!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq83J1NIqQ8

the uploaders excuse for why it runs terribly is that, like all the other games he's been showing off for his machinima monetized channel, he pirated it and probably sideloaded the wrong apk for the hardware. Peak ouya

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Mar 11, 2013

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
I should be the target market for early 3d nostalgia but I really struggle to imagine early 3d could appeal to anyone. It looked bad at the time and now looks plain awful. The only exception would be horror games because the fuzziness leaves space for your imagination to make things scarier. Even then that is an aesthetic choice rather than nostalgia for the poor graphics.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I could totally get down with some Sega Model 2 nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Gr813zqr4

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Red_Mage posted:

I don't think you understand how nostalgia works.

And this still happens. Even to the new standard of popular and a very low standard of good enough. Minecraft has numbers that can rival any AAA, Super Meat Boy has sold as many copies as Super Metroid or Megaman X. Anyone who bitches about how its harder than ever before to get your UNIQUE CREATIVE GAME to market, is objectively wrong.

Argh, I really don't want to argue with you, since I really do agree with the general thrust of what you're saying. Platforms like PC, Android, iOS, XBLA, PSN, WiiWare, XBLIG and on & on (not to mention Greenlight & Kickstarter) have definitely done exactly what you say. It's incomparably easier to make a game and get it released in a way other people can play it. There is an important addendum, though.

The difference is the high-end games. I mean, not the highest end games. The very biggest games of any given era were never very experimental, because of a pretty basic risk-mitigation issue. Once you cross a certain budget threshold, you can't afford for it to fail anymore, no matter what, so you gotta do whatever you can to avoid that. That's kind of a basic, reasonable business practice, too, so it's not going to go away - no, not even with the magical LEON BUDDHA.

The biggest games are the same as ever, but what's changed, at least a bit, is the "big but not biggest" games. That category of B+/A- game has traditionally been a great area to see games that had a really nice mix of polish & innovation. That kind of category has seriously faded, even just during this generation. You don't seem them much at all anymore. Except... you sort of do.

It seems like what has happened is that while the first-class games' budget sizes have increased, the B+/A- budget sizes didn't follow suit. So, you don't get games that are "a little less expensive than the biggest games, and a little more experimental"... but you do get games that cost about as much as a PS2 B+/A- game. And then they just end up on XBLA or Steam. This is the $15-$20+ market that seems to be growing into itself. Good examples of this (regardless of quality) are Mark of the Ninja, Trine 2, From Dust, or Quantum Conundrum.

That's why I say that while they don't exist, they do exist. Games as big as B+ games from past eras still exist, it's just that games like that with a budget that would match today's biggest games are much rarer than in the past.

This issue won't really be addressed by the OUYA, though. Not even in the best case. (yup, this was a total tangent, I just like talking about stuff on the internet... I mean, I did pay $10 for it) It's something that'll take more of a general change in business models - things like pricing or development costs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I could totally get down with some Sega Model 2 nostalgia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Gr813zqr4

Someone is actually making a new, good looking Daytona style racing game for the PC. I think they had a Kickstarter for it, so it's at least as credible as OVARIES.

XboxPants posted:

Argh, I really don't want to argue with you

Yeah, right :rolleyes:

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's pretty much my issue with 'retraux' throwbacks. I'm really sick of seeing "OMG 8 BITS" and the loving thing is natively 1920x1080, has 16 million colours, HDR and bloom out the rear end, etc. Just.. gently caress! Pick a console, look at it's limitations and stick to those.

There was a game a while back that I think ended up being part of an Indie Royale bundle that was kind of Contra-like and actually stuck to NES limitations and I appreciated it a lot more than something like Fist of Awesome.

I've heard it a lot on these boards, but I don't understand this mindset at all. Why should you get excited about something that literally looks like an NES game when you can do better?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpU5NTrgiL0

This game has simple pixel art that I think looks inherently appealing, and then on top of that has dynamic lighting with normal mapping and crazy particle effects. I think the result is cool as hell, but it's something you could never get just by doing the "PURE RETRO REALISM" approach. Why not create new visual styles that have only now become possible?

Red_Mage posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCKShpxdDkE&t=44s

Minecraft on the OUYA

Edit: the dude who made this video only had to go through 3 different versions to find one that would sideload correctly, and then he had to use a special sixaxis ps3 app to play it with a ps3 countroller because the OUYA's didn't work

Android Minecraft does suck compared to the PC version, but it's been getting way better and there's no reason it couldn't be good. I don't think this will actually happen, but with the OUYA's design it'd be cool to see a Minecraft-block-skinned unit. I bet people'd eat up a $99 Minecraft novelty machine that also happens to do some other stuff if ya want. At least, moreso than normal OUYA, gotta give me that.

Heh, all right, I do want to debate, but I didn't want to seem contrary and give the impression I disagreed with him. Better? :)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'll be honest and say that I'd love to see a game mimic PS1/N64 era aesthetics as a tribute, but it'd have to be really really good and self-aware enough to avoid the common gameplay pitfalls of that era. Visorman is sorely lacking in that self-awareness.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Someone is actually making a new, good looking Daytona style racing game for the PC. I think they had a Kickstarter for it, so it's at least as credible as OVARIES.
Yup, the imaginatively named 90s Arcade Racer. It even picked up a publisher who are handling an Android port, so who knows, it might even reach the Console Of A Thousand Names once it beats the Vita in sales.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Kins posted:

It even picked up a publisher who are handling an Android port

Oh, cool beans. I'm glad, because it seems like the devs were putting in quite a bit of effort. Unlike Visorman.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
This is literally 'xbox pants trying to get the last word: the thread'

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh, cool beans. I'm glad, because it seems like the devs were putting in quite a bit of effort. Unlike Visorman.

I think it'd be possible to make a game with a visual style that evokes a PS1/N64 era game and wasn't a horrible mess like that game. To me, though, the best way would include doing things that would make it "not pure retro". Things like antialiasing, a further draw distance, perhaps HD, etc. We've come a long way since then. The body animation could be way better, and modern physics could be included. People have also done more to figure styles that look halfway decent with a low poly count. Zineth is the best looking example I know of that tries to do anything like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCr5twS6xc8

Zineth is cel-shaded, so that's kind of a cheat. Even so, those environments have some god-drat simple geometry that give an idea of something that could be done in a PS1 style.

But, even then, Zineth's style is divisive. A lot of people really do love it, and it got pretty good press and reception on these forums, but some people are definitely not into it. That's probably the best you can hope for doing something like that.

edit:

cat doter posted:

This is literally 'xbox pants trying to get the last word: the thread'

Yes.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I do generally try to avoid double posting but the OUYA Board Chairman just sent out a tweet that really shows just how confident this company is in their success: https://twitter.com/roybahat/status/311013220980764672

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Retweeted by Sam Kennedy. Hoooboy.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I sort of disagree with OUyAPants that modern games are "too big to fail" and companies simply aren't willing to take risks after investing a certain amount of money. It has basically been Nintendo's business model for decades to do weird, experimental stuff with their biggest franchises, innovating and being creative along the way.

Even if you go back to the N64, Mario was dramatically and drastically different from any of the 2D platformers. Yes, they eventually went back to the 2D platformer well, but they haven't abandoned making Mario games that totally shakeup the formula.

As well, you have games like Mass Effect that certainly have similarities to other games (like Deus Ex), but really stretch the definitions of what it means to be an FPS or an RPG, and you can't argue that that series didn't have a massive budget behind it. It may not be entirely original, but it does stretch conventions.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

The Kins posted:

I'll be honest and say that I'd love to see a game mimic PS1/N64 era aesthetics as a tribute, but it'd have to be really really good and self-aware enough to avoid the common gameplay pitfalls of that era. Visorman is sorely lacking in that self-awareness.
Yup, the imaginatively named 90s Arcade Racer. It even picked up a publisher who are handling an Android port, so who knows, it might even reach the Console Of A Thousand Names once it beats the Vita in sales.

I already backed 90s Arcade Racer, naturally, but it has its own visual style(a good one) that is very distinct from the nostalgic we-just-discovered-textures quadrangular nonsense that I love.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
I can't help but think that if Mario were a modern franchise based on 2D platforming and they went 3D platforming ala Mario 64 there'd be legions of fanboys going IT'S NOT MARIO, THEY RUINED MARIO. The reaction to Metal Gear Rising made me want to punch a whole lot of people.

I hope they do something really goddamn cool with the next Mario. Galaxy owned.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

XboxPants posted:

The difference is the high-end games. I mean, not the highest end games. The very biggest games of any given era were never very experimental, because of a pretty basic risk-mitigation issue. Once you cross a certain budget threshold, you can't afford for it to fail anymore, no matter what, so you gotta do whatever you can to avoid that. That's kind of a basic, reasonable business practice, too, so it's not going to go away - no, not even with the magical LEON BUDDHA.

Do you honestly feel that way about say, GTA3?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

The Dave posted:

Do you honestly feel that way about say, GTA3?

No, and there are plenty of other examples like that, too. It's certainly not a rule. And, although I do think it is a tendency, I can't think of any easy way for me to prove it, especially since most game budgets aren't openly known. I suppose I could try to find respected people talking about it, but I don't feel the need to go that far. It feels like it's too much of a difficult, murky topic to have a solid discussion about. It doesn't seem like there's much productive discussion to be had very easily.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

XboxPants posted:

No, and there are plenty of other examples like that, too. It's certainly not a rule. And, although I do think it is a tendency, I can't think of any easy way for me to prove it, especially since most game budgets aren't openly known. I suppose I could try to find respected people talking about it, but I don't feel the need to go that far. It feels like it's too much of a difficult, murky topic to have a solid discussion about. It doesn't seem like there's much productive discussion to be had very easily.

Then why the gently caress did you even bring it up. In your own words, your assertion is not easily provable (at least by you) and you don't feel like digging for proof. Besides, since when has the lack of a productive discussion stopped you from opening up your fat retarded mouth.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

They chose the wrong song for that trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmVagnlM-Ys

It's even the exact right length!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

XboxPants posted:

XboxPants posted:

It's like any specialized field. If someone wants to figure out what's coming up in science, or economics, or politics, or any deep field and you're not an expert yourself, their personal judgments are basically worth nothing. You may guess right, but it'll only be by chance. Instead, you need to find the people that do actually know what's going on, and base your judgment off of them.

[...]
Option 1 has the odd quirk that it only works if you are not only smarter than the people involved who actually know what's going on inside the project, but you are, in fact, so much smarter that you don't even need to have complete information to make a judgment.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

XboxPants posted:

It's like any specialized field. If someone wants to figure out what's coming up in science, or economics, or politics, or any deep field and you're not an expert yourself, their personal judgments are basically worth nothing. You may guess right, but it'll only be by chance. Instead, you need to find the people that do actually know what's going on, and base your judgment off of them.

Option 1 has the odd quirk that it only works if you are not only smarter than the people involved who actually know what's going on inside the project, but you are, in fact, so much smarter that you don't even need to have complete information to make a judgment.

My argument wasn't very well supported. If you're trying to say that you are totally right,. And that's why when I said it, I wasn't arrogant and didn't say that anyone who disagrees is an idiot or crazy or anything like that. And that's why when someone questioned me, I quickly conceded that I didn't have anything offhand to back it up, and I didn't try to insist that I was right.

I did come to this idea by hearing professionals talking about it, but not usually in articles just on that topic - it's the kind of thing that I've seen and heard from more knowledgeable people just in random places - articles, podcast discussions, etc. So it would be harder to search for. But I'll take a look.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
My point was more that given how you made such an insane rambling post about people reserving judgment making for people who had things like perfect knowledge, you probably shouldn't make any unsupported assertions. But be careful, because when you do try and support yourself, you end up claiming a lawyer's office is the OUYA corporate suite.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
The OUAGADOUGOU will justify its existence once Ashens gets a hold of it.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Atlas Hugged posted:

My point was more that given how you made such an insane rambling post about people reserving judgment making for people who had things like perfect knowledge, you probably shouldn't make any unsupported assertions. But be careful, because when you do try and support yourself, you end up claiming a lawyer's office is the OUYA corporate suite.

No one has perfect knowledge. There's a middle ground to be had. You just have to recognize when your knowledge is so limited that there is someone else that can make a better decision than you can. I think that's the simplest way of saying it.

So, you guys seemed to want me to back up what I said so I guess I'll go make an effort:

XboxPants posted:

That category of B+/A- game has traditionally been a great area to see games that had a really nice mix of polish & innovation. That kind of category has seriously faded, even just during this generation. You don't seem them much at all anymore.

quote:

We hear a lot of talk. At gaming events, at press conferences. At private functions or over dinner with well-connected friends in the industry. People talk, even when they shouldn't. And we listen, even when we can't quote them.
[...]
You can make a living making indie games, or making social and mobile games, but between that tier and AAA is a wide swath of budget and team sizes at which it is practically impossible to survive.
Source - http://www.polygon.com/2012/10/1/3439738/the-state-of-games-state-of-aaa

I'll see if I can find one for my other major assertion, that the biggest-budget games tend to stick to established formulas in order to mitigate risk. Though I'm pretty surprised people really find that one hard to believe. Remember, for every Grand Theft Auto 3, there's a GTA4, 5, Vice City, and San Andreas, each one with a bigger budget than the last.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Wovon man nicht spielen kann, darüber muss man schweigen.
-Kurt Cobain

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The real Leon Budd fought in the hell that was World War 2 and had to come home to live in the hell that is New Jersey.

And Xboxpants honors his memory by dick-riding an android stick.

Shameful.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

And here's the other part: (though it should be noted that while this is generally the case, there is an exception at the start of new console cycles, when companies believe there is more room for innovation)

XboxPants posted:

The very biggest games of any given era were never very experimental, because of a pretty basic risk-mitigation issue. Once you cross a certain budget threshold, you can't afford for it to fail anymore, no matter what, so you gotta do whatever you can to avoid that. That's kind of a basic, reasonable business practice, too, so it's not going to go away.

Here's Ed McMillen, since you guys seem to respect his opinion so much:

Ed Mcmillen posted:

The blockbuster video game model is going down in flames mostly due to the economy and the fact that small budget games are getting a ton of attention these days. A blockbuster video game can’t ever take risks, it has to stick to what it has done in the past or it risks losing millions. Huge budget games will almost always be games you have already played.
Source - http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/30/are-aaa-hardcore-games-doomed?page=3

So you guys can gently caress off.

(well... just those of you who were assholes about it. there's nothing inherently wrong with asking someone to back up a claim.)

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Mar 11, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

XboxPants posted:

And here's the other part: (though it should be noted that while this is generally the case, there is an exception at the start of new console cycles, when companies believe there is more room for innovation)

Here's Ed McMillen, since you guys seem to respect his opinion so much:

Source - http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/07/30/are-aaa-hardcore-games-doomed?page=3

So you guys can gently caress off.

(well... just those of you who were assholes about it. there's nothing inherently wrong with asking someone to back up a claim.)

OH NO GUYS, Ed McMillen also said the same dumb thing! I guess we can gently caress right off! :jerkbag:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

echopapa posted:

The OUAGADOUGOU will justify its existence once Ashens gets a hold of it.

Oh poo poo, I never thought of that. That'll be a brilliant video.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ReV VAdAUL posted:

I should be the target market for early 3d nostalgia but I really struggle to imagine early 3d could appeal to anyone. It looked bad at the time and now looks plain awful. The only exception would be horror games because the fuzziness leaves space for your imagination to make things scarier. Even then that is an aesthetic choice rather than nostalgia for the poor graphics.

When people actually play old early 3D games its solely about the actual gameplay being good enough to make up for the way they look. Twisted Metal 1 and 2 look like rear end but I'll still go out of my way to play them because the action is fun.

The thing is that the people who are just roughly approximating an era's look for their crappy new game, they're not bothering to make the games that much fun to play on their own. It's the same way with a ton of the "lolz I don't wanna draw 2d artwork real good so I'll just make things pixelated and claim it's 8 bit!!!" games, those honestly tend to be rather unpleasant to look at because you need to put skill and effort into making "8 bit" graphics that are also pleasant. The "bad early 3d" thing is just another example of how most of the people trying to pull nostalgia forget that it's not enough to do just that.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

OH NO GUYS, Ed McMillen also said the same dumb thing! I guess we can gently caress right off! :jerkbag:

You're right, just his opinion wouldn't be enough on its own. Luckily, that link I gave you will lead you to an article that also supports the idea.

If you think the idea that "developers like to avoid risky things, like innovation, in their biggest budget games" is a "dumb idea" - even when linked to an article that backs that view - you're a loving moron that doesn't have any loving clue what a video game industry is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoobis
Nov 10, 2009
I really don't feel like digging for the information myself but if you bought something that is in the Googeplay store, could you play it on the BROOHAHA too or do you have to buy it from their store. Also is their a guideline yet on games that will be rejected other than blatant porn games yet?

• Locked thread