Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I'm curious why you would want to remove the DE itself, rather than keep it around and replace the WM with awesome. Launching awesome yourself is going to be an exercise in frustration, as most programs depend on DBus, PulseAudio and other things being around in the session.

That's what I'm doing right now, but I'm noticing the two sometimes still fight over key bindings, panels and such. Is there a better way to make the two integrate more cleanly. I'd be willing to use another tiling WM with better integration.

xtal fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What laptops is everyone using, that's using Linux on a laptop?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Don't launch the panel? Apparently there should be an xfce4-session-settings program that allows you to configure the various things that can start up. You should be able to disable the XFCE4 panel from there.

GTK+ looking weird is the lack of an XSettings manager, which XFCE gives to you. DBus being missing also shouldn't happen.

Note that Ubuntu has plans to move to Upstart user sessions, and most other distributions have plans to move to systemd user sessions, so that would kill xfce4-session, gnome-session, and so on.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

Red Hat gave me a ThinkPad T510.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Suspicious Dish posted:

Red Hat gave me a ThinkPad T510.

Is that their standard issue machine or what?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Suspicious Dish posted:

Don't launch the panel? Apparently there should be an xfce4-session-settings program that allows you to configure the various things that can start up. You should be able to disable the XFCE4 panel from there.

GTK+ looking weird is the lack of an XSettings manager, which XFCE gives to you. DBus being missing also shouldn't happen.

Note that Ubuntu has plans to move to Upstart user sessions, and most other distributions have plans to move to systemd user sessions, so that would kill xfce4-session, gnome-session, and so on.

Thanks for the post, that's a great idea. It still leaves the keybind issue, but I suppose I can just configure both of them not to conflict. :)

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Bob Morales posted:

We have a support contract with IBM/Lenovo, so we get whatever mid-range ThinkPad model they're producing at the time. I'm not sure if it's still the T510.

xtal posted:

Thanks for the post, that's a great idea. It still leaves the keybind issue, but I suppose I can just configure both of them not to conflict. :)

Do you know what components grab the keybinding?

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Bob Morales posted:

With companies that use Lenovo the T500 series is considered the standard for employees. Developer laptops are usually the W500 series.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Suspicious Dish posted:

So, I'm curious why you would want to remove the DE itself, rather than keep it around and replace the WM with awesome. Launching awesome yourself is going to be an exercise in frustration, as most programs depend on DBus, some XSettings manager, PulseAudio, etc. and other things being around in the session that aren't X.

All those things will run without XFCE, though there isn't a great xsettings manager outside a DE. Those aren't necessary though. Just use one of the gtkrc tools.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Has anyone user Bacula before? Windows Backup is horribly slow so I want to switch to something that I can run on my file server.

I think it'll do everything I need but it looks incredibly complicated.

Edit: Just discovered that windows client costs money, any recommendations would be appreciated!

Ashex fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Mar 7, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

fivre posted:

All those things will run without XFCE, though there isn't a great xsettings manager outside a DE. Those aren't necessary though. Just use one of the gtkrc tools.

There's nothing wrong with running xfsettings if you want to keep around parts of XFCE's session components.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Suspicious Dish posted:

We have a support contract with IBM/Lenovo, so we get whatever mid-range ThinkPad model they're producing at the time. I'm not sure if it's still the T510.

Sup Red Hatter.

I am on a T530. A lot of T430s and the like around as well. Oh, and then there is all the management who insist on using Macbooks :/

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Oh wow, thought I was the only one who worked here. What team are you on, and where are you? I'm on the desktop team at the Westford office.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I am Service Desk in RDU. I've only been here since December.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
Lenovo X61 Tablet for me. It runs perfectly well with a new SSD and an upgrade to 4GB RAM. The tablet hardware and touchscreen work perfectly in Kubuntu, which was a nice surprise.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Suspicious Dish posted:

Oh wow, thought I was the only one who worked here. What team are you on, and where are you? I'm on the desktop team at the Westford office.

T530. RHEV/oVirt/OpenStack. Remote in Phoenix.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Speaking of RHEV. Have you guys ever seen issues with PaX kernels like grsec running as a guest on RHEV-H?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

System 76 Gazelle P7 at home, Thinkpad X210 at work. Both work fine, although the battery latches on the former are a bit looser than I'd like.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

spankmeister posted:

Speaking of RHEV. Have you guys ever seen issues with PaX kernels like grsec running as a guest on RHEV-H?

Not in particular, no, but it's a pretty narrow use case. What are you seeing?

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
I started editing a system file as an unprivileged user and only later realized I couldn't write my changes because I was not root. I quick search turned up that I can use
code:
:w !sudo tee %
from inside vim to save it as root, and I just think that is the coolest drat thing. I'm still teaching myself Linux and every time I need to do a bit of research to solve a problem there is usually a really awesome and elegant solution. Linux/Unix is like a fractal of awesome, and I love it.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

The Third Man posted:

I started editing a system file as an unprivileged user and only later realized I couldn't write my changes because I was not root. I quick search turned up that I can use
code:
:w !sudo tee %
from inside vim to save it as root, and I just think that is the coolest drat thing. I'm still teaching myself Linux and every time I need to do a bit of research to solve a problem there is usually a really awesome and elegant solution. Linux/Unix is like a fractal of awesome, and I love it.

That's a really handy one! Check out this page for some more great ones: http://www.commandlinefu.com/commands/browse/sort-by-votes

I went waaaaaaay too long without knowing about
code:
sudo !!
(repeat last command, but with sudo)

and

code:
cd -
(go back to the last directory you were in)

Oh and also ctrl+r for the reverse-i-search (start typing a command that you have run before, and it will auto complete it from your bash history!)

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

fletcher posted:

code:
cd -
(go back to the last directory you were in)

popd and pushd are even more useful in that they track the previous directories in a stack so you can jump around easily.

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
learning !$ in bash also blew my mind(!$ = last argument to last command)

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

The Third Man posted:

learning !$ in bash also blew my mind(!$ = last argument to last command)

For that and more see 'man history'.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I finally got fed up with Windows, and installed Ubuntu last night. I'm trying to get Star Trek Online working in it, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I found an FAQ of sorts here, but it's less comprehensible than Greek to me. Can anyone hand-hold me through this? I'm using Ubuntu 12.10.

I already have Wine, and it's working with other things, but apparently STO relies on Internet Explorer to do a lot of stuff, and it's complex to get the two connected through Wine. Any help that can be offered is appreciated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

razorrozar posted:

I finally got fed up with Windows, and installed Ubuntu last night. I'm trying to get Star Trek Online working in it, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I found an FAQ of sorts here, but it's less comprehensible than Greek to me. Can anyone hand-hold me through this? I'm using Ubuntu 12.10.

I already have Wine, and it's working with other things, but apparently STO relies on Internet Explorer to do a lot of stuff, and it's complex to get the two connected through Wine. Any help that can be offered is appreciated.

get winetricks (you can get that through whatever package manager you use on ubuntu, i.e. apt-get, aptitude, synaptic, software center)

Then you can use winetricks to install IE, it will pull in any dependencies needed.

e: also, that guide is from 2010, probably a lot of things have changed, so I would not use that guide, instead installing wine from ubuntu like normal and trying it that way.

spankmeister fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 8, 2013

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

razorrozar posted:

If I'm trying to get a game running under Wine, I usually check on the Wine AppDB for the game. Usually some helpful stuff on there. Winetricks is mega helpful for installing other stuff the game needs. Here's the page for STO. It's got a gold rating which is a pretty good sign it works well. It says you need to use winetricks to install vcrun2008 and IE8.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Anyone know any good PowerDNS frontends that don't feel like they were written in 2001? I'm running PowerDNS Tango right now and while it's pretty, the sheer quirkiness of it is driving me completely nuts. I want, at a minimum, the ability to delegate administration of certain domains to certain end-users. A REST API would be nice too.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Mar 9, 2013

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I'll try and find out how our PowerDNS is setup, we aren't using it yet and I didn't have a hand it in unfortunately so I can't be of much help, but I'll be learning about it soon.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Does anyone know how in LXDE to bind ctrl+down/up to pagedown/pageup, to make up for the lack of PgDown/PgUp keys?

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Okay, I feel like an idiot, but I have no idea how to install IE through Winetricks, it doesn't show up in the app list. I installed it through PlayOnLinux, but since that creates different drives for all its apps I can't put STO on the same drive so it doesn't realize it's there. So how do I get winetricks to install Internet Explorer?

Sorry, I'm sure this is a noob question, but everything I see online just says "through Winetricks" or something, without specifying how.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

razorrozar posted:

Okay, I feel like an idiot, but I have no idea how to install IE through Winetricks, it doesn't show up in the app list. I installed it through PlayOnLinux, but since that creates different drives for all its apps I can't put STO on the same drive so it doesn't realize it's there. So how do I get winetricks to install Internet Explorer?

Sorry, I'm sure this is a noob question, but everything I see online just says "through Winetricks" or something, without specifying how.

You should be able to just type "winetricks ie8".

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010
It's in the "Install Windows DLL or Component" part of winetricks if you are using the GUI, which is behind the "Select the default wineprefix" menu. Using the "Install an App" part of the GUI is not what you want, as that will create a separate wineprefix for just that application. Make sure you're in the right wineprefix first, if your STO install is in ~/.wine/ then you should be fine. If not then run winetricks with WINEPREFIX=path/to/wineprefix winetricks.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'm posting a lot in this thread, aren't I? Now I'm trying to get Steam running in PlayOnLinux, and it's stuck in a constant update loop. It seems to update, gets to the bit where it says "Cleaning up", and then... the update window launches again. Sometimes, when I hit Cancel, it actually brings up Steam, but it's not consistent, and I don't want to mess with it every time I restart my computer. What can I do to fix this?

Thank you guys for all the help. I like Ubuntu a lot better than Windows, I just need a little while to get used to it, and thanks for helping me do that.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

razorrozar posted:

I'm posting a lot in this thread, aren't I? Now I'm trying to get Steam running in PlayOnLinux, and it's stuck in a constant update loop. It seems to update, gets to the bit where it says "Cleaning up", and then... the update window launches again. Sometimes, when I hit Cancel, it actually brings up Steam, but it's not consistent, and I don't want to mess with it every time I restart my computer. What can I do to fix this?

Thank you guys for all the help. I like Ubuntu a lot better than Windows, I just need a little while to get used to it, and thanks for helping me do that.

There is in fact a Linux version of Steam, so if the games you're interested in run in Linux you can just install that and be done with it.

If you're looking to wine Steam Windows games, I've got nothing. Steam via PlayOnLinux just worked for me without any problems - Install Software, search for "Steam", tell it to install, wait for ages while it downloads everything over my lovely canadian internet connection and there it goes.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ToxicFrog posted:

There is in fact a Linux version of Steam, so if the games you're interested in run in Linux you can just install that and be done with it.

If you're looking to wine Steam Windows games, I've got nothing. Steam via PlayOnLinux just worked for me without any problems - Install Software, search for "Steam", tell it to install, wait for ages while it downloads everything over my lovely canadian internet connection and there it goes.

I actually have the Linux version, but it only runs Eversion, Half-Life and Team Fortress 2, so I was hoping to get the rest of my games via PlayOnLinux. I did exactly what you did (minus Canadian internet, my condolences on that) and it's actually working at the moment, but it's erratic, and I got the same results when I tried to install it straight through Wine. I read something from about four years ago that suggested it could be a firewall issue, could there be any truth to that?

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
From what I remember trying to get Steam up about a year ago in Wine, it took a huge amount of fiddling and I don't know what I did to fix it, but it was still really unreliable.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
winetricks steam

??

It plays Civ 5, Skyrim, whatever, just fine.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Horribly new question: I need to update a bunch of boxes with RHN. When I work with a group, select all packages and go to install, on i386 machines it installs just the i386 packages, but on x64 machines it wants to install both x86_64 AND i386 packages. Is this going to totally mess things up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Saint Darwin posted:

Horribly new question: I need to update a bunch of boxes with RHN. When I work with a group, select all packages and go to install, on i386 machines it installs just the i386 packages, but on x64 machines it wants to install both x86_64 AND i386 packages. Is this going to totally mess things up?

Nope. It's multilib by default (ls /lib /lib64). You may want to check and make sure that you actually want all the i386 packages it's installing, though.