Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jollygrinch
Apr 16, 2004

Anesthesia. Mona Lisa. I've got a little gun, here comes oblivion.

MMD3 posted:

A titanium flask is a dumb waste right? right??

Yes, but I've been so close to getting one so many times now... It'll happen, I can feel the money melting out of my wallet.

You mentioned having some of their cookware. Get a mug if you haven't one already. The double walled just got the Backpacker editor's choice nod. I like the single wall though knowing I could put it over heat if I had to or wanted to without ruining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Time Cowboy posted:

I keep thinking peanut butter and cheese. I want to experiment with... I don't know, cheesy peanut butter rice and potato bake, and pack it in with a spork for the summit. Anything with cheese might not keep so well on a warm or sunny day, though.
For some reason, this reminded me that I have the USDA nutrient database sitting on this machine. :buddy: Here are the highest caloric contents per gram accordingly (with some similar items removed for brevity):
pre:
2640 Oil, PAM cooking spray, original (gross, there are lots of oils, but I'll ignore them)
2510 Spices, pepper, black (yeah, but not eating tons of spices for 'calories'; ignoring those)
810 Nuts, pistachio nuts, dry roasted, without salt added
681 Babyfood, crackers, vegetable
666 Peanuts, all types, oil-roasted, with salt
648 Peppers, hot chile, sun-dried
503 Crackers, cheese, regular
479 Nuts, almonds
    (sweeteners and raw teas in here)
401 Leeks, (bulb and lower-leaf portion), freeze-dried
396 Nuts, pine nuts, dried
240 Candies, MARS SNACKFOOD US, M&M's Peanut Butter Chocolate Candies
237 Crackers, wheat, low salt
234 Seeds, sesame seed kernels, dried (decorticated)
219 Cookies, chocolate chip, commercially prepared, regular, higher fat, unenriched
214 Seeds, flaxseed
209 Fat, turkey
209 Animal fat, bacon grease :btroll:
200 Fish oil (lots of that here)
    (and some random smatterings of things...)
101 Pork, cured, bacon, cooked, microwaved
90 Cheese, parmesan, low sodium
76 Crackers, cheese, sandwich-type with peanut butter filling
75 Crackers, cheese, sandwich-type with cheese filling
75 Crackers, melba toast, wheat
74 Candies, REESE'S Peanut Butter Cups
38 Peanut butter with omega-3, creamy
22 Beef, bologna, reduced sodium
19 Smoked link sausage, pork
So, eating lots of nuts is the answer, it would seem. I should hope some carbohydrates might help us all along the trail, but I was going to comment that I have no trouble eating slices of parmesan or romano off the block, and those are less likely to melt. I should also point out that this list is devoid of overall protein or carbohydrate information, and it certainly doesn't help much if you might be allergic to oleic or linoleic acids like I might be.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

jollygrinch posted:

Yes, but I've been so close to getting one so many times now... It'll happen, I can feel the money melting out of my wallet.

You mentioned having some of their cookware. Get a mug if you haven't one already. The double walled just got the Backpacker editor's choice nod. I like the single wall though knowing I could put it over heat if I had to or wanted to without ruining it.

I've got this Ti set: http://www.snowpeak.com/cookware/backpacking/ti-mini-solo-combo-scs-004t.html

and one of these single walled cups: http://www.snowpeak.com/tableware/cups-mugs/titanium-single-cup-2-mg-002.html

A double-walled mug would certainly be nice though.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
I've got a couple vacuum bottles which are great. A Hydro Flask which I dropped and now makes a rattling noise, but still works fine, and a widemouth Klean Kanteen one. They're awesome for day hikes. in warm weather they keep drinks cold, and in winter I keep chai in one and soup in the other. I'd skip them for backpacking, though. They weigh almost twice as much as a single-walled one.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

I'm doing a national park loop because all the snow was depressing me. I spent a week in big bend and three days in guadalupe. Im in carlsbad for the night because I'm really dirty. You know you smell like a bum when all the daywalkers you pass smell like soap and perfume. Anyways, I'm going to carlsbad and then back to guadalupe for another day or so. Then its off to Arizona. I'm going to check out saguaro for a few days, head to Tempe for some spring training games, rim to rim to rim at the canyon if weather and permits plays nice and then north to utah. If anyone would like to join up for whatever just send me a pm.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
An old friend is visiting NY in April, and is adamant that we do a dayhike on the AT while he's here. (If it were up to me, I'd tell him to fly out in June and hit up the Catskills, but I can't blame him for his fixation on the AT.) Any suggestions for really good segments? I was thinking somewhere in Harriman or Bear Mountain, maybe making a loop of it with the Timp-Torne or the Ramapo-Dunderberg, but I wanted to ask around first in case there were less crowded gems I didn't know about.

MojoAZ
Jan 1, 2010
Had a chance to hike down the Hermit Trail in Grand Canyon a few weeks ago. It ended up snowing heavily for two straight days while we were up there, but the conditions only made the trip more epic. Here's a video I put together:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-NAmqiBDQM

MojoAZ fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 8, 2013

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

BeefofAges posted:

Instead of soap, carry hand sanitizer.

I disagree. Hand sanitizer does not really clean your hands. It only sanitizes an already clean hand.

This is coming from someone who, in normal civilization, washes hands way less often than most. When I'm in the bush for days, I Wash My Hands. With castile soap (rinse into soil, not directly into a stream).

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Going snowshoeing my first time on San Jacinto tomorrow morning! Super fresh powder from today's storms in SoCal, we could not have planned a better weekend! Just rented cheap/one size fits all snowshoes from REI for only 14 bucks. I'll be sure to post a report here after :)

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

BeefofAges posted:

Start slow! Try to keep it under 8 miles a day for a week or two. There's no rush.

Your pack list looks pretty good, though a few things seem a little redundant (aquamira and a filter?). I also think a phone + an ipod touch + a camera + a battery + a gorillapod is a bit overkill. If your first aid kit has scissors, use them instead of nail clippers. Instead of soap, carry hand sanitizer. Instead of a mug, just eat and drink out of your jetboil pot. Your tent groundcloth is probably unnecessary, most of the tent pads you'll find on the AT are very soft and unlikely to cause much wear and tear.

Feel free to ignore everything I just said and hike your own hike, seriously. Don't do what people tell you to do, do what you want to do. It's your adventure.

I would take a tent ground cloth/footprint for one additional reason. The AT has lots of shelters and lots of em have nails and splinters on the floor. We used our tent footprint in the shelter under our neo air pads and had no punctures. It's worth the 4 oz or whatever in my opinion. Unless you are the "I don't shelter type" in which case your tent will get that much more use and benefit from a footprint more. Especially at trail days.

Lastly, like beef said, hike your own hike.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Had a good hike this weekend from Springer Mtn to the Hawk Mtn Shelter (~16 miles round trip). Got a good chance to test out all my gear some more, and I'm pretty happy with my Pack as-is. I've gone back to using my Android phone instead of iPod/Dumbphone. We'll see if it survives the whole trail.

Next weekend, it begins!

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
What's a good, durable, relatively cheap daypack? I somehow made a $10 Walmart pack last for a couple years, but I wanna treat myself to an upgrade with this tax check. Ideally in the less than $75 range.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Depends on, well, a lot of things, but I use the REI Flash 18 for that. It's usually about $30. Depends on how light you wanna pack though. I get the impression 35 liters is a more common size.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

Depends on, well, a lot of things, but I use the REI Flash 18 for that. It's usually about $30. Depends on how light you wanna pack though. I get the impression 35 liters is a more common size.

I was thinking a hydration pack would be nice, but the prices on some of those models are outrageous. I want something bigger than the Flash 18, since I tend to bring extra clothes in colder months. I'll keep looking on REI and other sites, I suppose.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Time Cowboy posted:

I was thinking a hydration pack would be nice, but the prices on some of those models are outrageous. I want something bigger than the Flash 18, since I tend to bring extra clothes in colder months. I'll keep looking on REI and other sites, I suppose.
I've been running the Osprey Stratos 36 since early last year. It's almost too small to strap on the snowshoes, but I've never run out of room for clothing and the like; I don't know if anything less than a 30L is going to satisfy winter needs for snowshoes, spikes, an ice axe, and the like. As you're (most probably) coming out of winter, you might be able to go with something smaller and, having gotten comfortable with it before next winter, just muscle through for a couple years until you're ready for an upgrade.

Belmont Geoffrion
Sep 25, 2007
o bby
Anybody willing to give some advice for getting snowshoes? It looks like it'll still be a while before the snow clears up here, but it's late enough in the season where stuff is going up for sale so I figure I might as well get them cheap while I have the chance.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

For ordinary snowshoeing on relatively flat ground I'd just get the cheapest MSR ones you can find.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Snowshoeing is hard, we only made it from Palm Springs Tramway to Wellman's Divide, it was just beautiful out there on San Jacinto though:

Found these for $23 at the REI used sale today though so I'll probably be back for more:
http://pikimal.com/snowshoes/atlas-snowfall-21w-snowshoes-womens

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Any suggestions for a 2 person backpacking tent? Leaning toward the Tarptent Double Rainbow but am open to suggestions.

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Tarptents are swell. I still have my old contrail kicking around. My friend used it for about 1800 miles last year. He borrowed it after my zpacks caught up to me. Some of my friends used a double rainbow on their pct thru. Maybe take a look at zpacks also?

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
For snowshoes: Unless you live in some place completely devoid of hills, MSR is the way to go. The lateral rails on even their entry level models make it so side-hilling is an option and you don't have to charge every trail straight up like you're from New England. In the mountaineering course I taught, the MSR Denalis were the student snowshoe of choice since they're so durable, reliable and perform well. April - June is when you will typically find the best deals, although my girlfriend picked up some Denali Evo Ascents at the beginning of the season for $65-. I'm using the MSR Lightning Axis and they're just about perfect for me @ 6' / 175lbs in the Rockies - I managed to pick them up two seasons ago for $110- new from REI. Heading up to RMNP a few weekends ago really highlighted the difference between MSRs and other brands; my buddy on his Atlas snowshoes had to slide down a few hills from lack of traction while I was just fine.

I also had the chance to experiment with a new trail meal this weekend in the form of Thai Peanut Noodles. Reconstitute 2 tbsp PB2 with soy sauce packets (1 packet per tbsp of PB2), 1/2 tbsp sesame oil and 1 tbsp Sriracha (premix in a screw top mini Nalgene container) then add to 4oz of flat rice noodle that only take 4-6 minutes to cook. If the sauce is too thick, a dab of water will thin it out for easy mixing. I topped mine with dehydrated smoked tofu, nutritional yeast (extra protein, aminos & b-vitamins) and sesame seeds, but you can use whatever other protein you like if you're not a smelly hippie. All in all it took under 10 minutes to make and it was so warm and spicy and hearty. I think I'm going to start making it for normal dinner at home, too.

i_heart_ponies fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Mar 18, 2013

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

amenenema posted:

Any suggestions for a 2 person backpacking tent? Leaning toward the Tarptent Double Rainbow but am open to suggestions.

Lot of folks on the AT using Tarptents.

I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Weight isn't really that much different from the Tarptent, and it doesn't leave you hosed if you break a trekking pole.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Akion posted:

Lot of folks on the AT using Tarptents.

I use a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. Weight isn't really that much different from the Tarptent, and it doesn't leave you hosed if you break a trekking pole.

The wife and used the same on our AT thru in 2011. We were very happy with it, but are short people at 5'2" and 5'7"

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Hey hiking and backpacking thread! I never really looked for you until today. Just a little bit about myself, I'm a sagittarius, I like long walks in the wilderness and eating just add water meals. But anyway, I've been walking around with crap on my back for about 15 years when I went out for the first time which was miserable because my lovely thrift store external framed backpack busted a strap because it weighed 47 lbs and we went to Kennedy Lake. But that's another story, since then I've refined my 3 day pack down to 16 lbs including water, because I'm older now and gently caress carrying drat near 50 lbs.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mercury Ballistic posted:

The wife and used the same on our AT thru in 2011. We were very happy with it, but are short people at 5'2" and 5'7"

I'm 6'2 and it's working for me so far. I really treat it like a 1 man with space for my gear, though. It'd probably be cozy for two people my height.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I'm 6'1" and the wife is 5'7". I'd love to get our 35lb Border collie in there too. Double rainbow too small for that?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004

I own a fly creek 2 and I don't reccomend it. Way too heavy as a shelter for one person and too cramped for people 6'1 and up. The walls are sloped heavily and with two people you will be right on them soaking all the condensation/moisture up. The materials are flimsy, including the poles. These thoughts and opinions are from long term use.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

amenenema posted:

I'm 6'1" and the wife is 5'7". I'd love to get our 35lb Border collie in there too. Double rainbow too small for that?

If the dog slept in the vestibule maybe in an emergency, but your gear will have to be out in the open. Odds are it will anyway though, the weakness of the fly creek in my opinion was the vestibule, its not that big. Still a good and light tent though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

The fiance and I just started backpacking and haven't done anything too crazy, but we like our Big Agnes Jackrabbit SL3. It was on sale or something and we got it for 279.99 instead of 369.95.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

If you're looking for an alternative light weight solution, check into hammock tents. I started hiking with a Hennessy explorer a few years ago and it's a god send. I don't have to worry about waking up in a puddle of water. I've ran into that twice since previous tents lost their weatherproofing. I just toss my pack at my feet inside and I don't have to worry about my pack getting wet either. They make 2 person hammock tents now as well, but I can't vouch for them. I'd check out reviews before committing since hammock tents are either very well made or wonky at best and will try to buck you in your sleep.

MAJOR STRYkER
Jan 2, 2008

FIFTY THOUSAND PEOPLE USED TO LIVE HERE...
I have the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 2 person and I couldn't be happier, It looks like they discontinued them though. I wish they still made walrus tents, whatever happened to that company...

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
I have a msr hubba hubba and it is nice. The mesh is pretty delicate though which is probably my one complaint. It is nice because it has 2 doors/vestibules so you dont have to crawl over someone. It is also a decent shape inside which is nice, I find some tents taper in odd ways which can make fitting 2 normal sized people awkward.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

As far as what to sleep in, I haven't slept in any sleeping bag as comfortable or as amazing as a Selk'bag. Sure, I look like a gigantic tool when I wear it, but it's warm and comfortable, damnit! In mid-fall to mid-spring I use the 3G. I just picked up a 4G lite for this coming season. The 3G has air vents for cooler weather, but I find I use the air vents already even when it's 35 outside. My only regret is not getting the pink one, because I might as well go all out on how terrible I look since wearing it already sets a baseline.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Selk'bags look comfy for car camping, but I think their weight to warmth ratio isn't quite good enough to make them worth carrying for backpacking (for me, at least).

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Welp! Today is the day. I leave for Springer in about 6 hours.

Sunny, 50's-70's for my first few days. This is gonne be good!

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

Akion posted:

Get a lovely microwave pizza at Neels Gap.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Akion posted:

Nice. I'll be about 5 weeks behind ya.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Hey guys! I've been playing around with some ideas for a business. One of them is a website that sells niche backpacking items. In addition to dropshipping them to the customer, the website would also contain high quality guides and articles for properly setting up and using the equipment.

Since you are all backpackers, I figured I'd ask you: are there any specialty backpacking items that are difficult to find in regular stores or online? Obviously a lot of people prefer buying their goods in stores, but are there any products you wish were more readily available for online purchase and delivery to your doorstep within a reasonable amount of time (1-2 days)?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

enraged_camel posted:

Hey guys! I've been playing around with some ideas for a business. One of them is a website that sells niche backpacking items. In addition to dropshipping them to the customer, the website would also contain high quality guides and articles for properly setting up and using the equipment.

Since you are all backpackers, I figured I'd ask you: are there any specialty backpacking items that are difficult to find in regular stores or online? Obviously a lot of people prefer buying their goods in stores, but are there any products you wish were more readily available for online purchase and delivery to your doorstep within a reasonable amount of time (1-2 days)?

I'm trying to think of any backpacking or camping gear that would require a setup guide that doesn't already come with it. I mean most backpacking gear is painfully simple to use, only exceptions that I can think of are some water filters and tents but those typically come with good instruction manuals.

I also am having a difficult time thinking of any backpacking gear that I can't get fast shipping on through amazon or direct sale through the manufacturers site and I'm drawing a blank.

Not trying to shoot down your idea, I'm sure someone can think of something but honestly I can't think of any type of product that would meet your description right now. Do you have some items in mind already that you can give us as an example?

I can think of niche backpacking brands but not niche items... seems like your average packing list for any major backpacking trip has very standard/familiar equipment in it although everyone's preference differs on which brands they prefer and what their personal philosophy is for weight vs. cost etc.

I think an interesting idea for a site might be some well curated packing lists based on specific locales or trips, with the equipment well photographed and a business model built around affiliate marketing. IE if I'm new to backpacking and I want to learn everything there is to know about what to pack for the AT and how to shop for gear I could go to this site, see some example packing lists, click on each item and see some product reviews and tent setup guides on youtube, etc. If you made it stylish enough and the navigation was easy to figure out you might be able to cut out a market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

I think pretty much all good backpacking gear is already available for sale online, and isn't even especially hard to find. I think the only way you'll be able to run a gear business is to come up with your own unique product line. For some examples, see the list of gear manufacturers here: https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1z7haNEGlEn64oWGf6MA72FTyz0fjIuuyv7Oh09bGWIY#h.qx224wlh2mc7