Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
That's why you ride over the moose. Didn't you see the YouTube earlier?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
It's ok, the iron butt riders think we're pussies for not just setting the cruise control at 70 and sitting on the interstate for hours.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Aargh posted:

Fffffffuuck! I've done 1000km in two days (650 on the first day). 850 miles - 1350km in one day is just insane. How long did that take? Allowing for rest stops and travelling near to a speed limit that's got to be 15 or 16 hours in the saddle. There's no way the last half would've been anywhere safe in regards to fatigue.

I did 1000 in a day but it was on a vstar. Everett to Missoula to Everett. Fatigue caught up at Vantage, westbound. 8 hours on the saddle, 3 hours rest, 8 more on the saddle.

Z3n posted:

It's ok, the iron butt riders think we're pussies for not just setting the cruise control at 70 and sitting on the interstate for hours.

I even have a patch to prove we're pussies :)

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Feb 28, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I went around the state of Wisconsin in two days on my old gsxr, and that was the most painful motorcycling thing ive ever done. The worst part is when you start to get back to roads you recognize, your butt gets all angsty and its even worse. Those last miles are pure torture.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Aargh posted:

Fffffffuuck! I've done 1000km in two days (650 on the first day). 850 miles - 1350km in one day is just insane. How long did that take? Allowing for rest stops and travelling near to a speed limit that's got to be 15 or 16 hours in the saddle. There's no way the last half would've been anywhere safe in regards to fatigue.
When I bought the KLR from Hayden I did 400 in a day. The only reason I stopped when I did was the speedometer cable breaking, and me wasting a couple hours trying to scrounge up a replacement in Amarillo... I laughed when they said there was one in Kansas City that they could have in a couple days. (because I could have been in Kansas City in a couple of days...)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Sucks about the cable braking. I had fixed a small piece of metal in the front wheel that prevented the speedo from working, and when I did that the cable seemed fine. I spent so much freaking time and money fixing up that bike. Any idea what ol' Betsy is up to these days?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

hayden. posted:

Sucks about the cable braking.

:catbert:

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

well it did slow down

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

I have no idea what to make of either of those responses.

edit: okay after reading it like 10 times I realize my error. I made the opposite mistake most people do!

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 1, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have a real live cable brake on the front. (And a rod on the back!)

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

hayden. posted:

Sucks about the cable braking. I had fixed a small piece of metal in the front wheel that prevented the speedo from working, and when I did that the cable seemed fine. I spent so much freaking time and money fixing up that bike. Any idea what ol' Betsy is up to these days?
Actually, when I redid the forks, I discovered that one of the tab-thingies inside broke off chewed up the hub so bad that it needed replacing to get a speedo to work. So I got a $30 bike speedometer and called it a day. Aside from that, ran like a champ commuting back and forth to work.
Then I found a screamin' deal on Craigslist.

"I have a DRZ. I want a KLR."

I went and looked at his DRZ, and he looked at my KLR, and we made a straight across trade. All his buddies have KLRs and the DRZ just wasn't "farkly" enough for the backwoods moto camping they were doing.

So, I got a 2000 DRZ400E (high compression head, FCR Carb) with a 5 gallon tank, Baja Designs street legal kit, and (much to my surprise) a 440 kit, complete.
Then Becktastic had her...incident...and I was lucky enough to buy all her Zebra plastics.

The guy I traded the KLR to and I still ride together on occasion, when he's in town.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

As someone who had a DRZ and was so-so on the power, how disappointing is the WR250x?

I've previously owned a DRZ for ~12,000 miles (3x3 mod, jetting and yosh slip-on) and just bought a used WR250X. I don't have a problem with the power of the WR at all but mine is also well modified. (FMF full exhaust, tuned power commander, airbox mod/k&n filter and -1/+2 sprockets) The power delivery on this bike is different than the DRZ. The power on the DRZ is all in the low-to-mid RPM range where on the WR it's all in the middle and top end. It's fun to ring the WR's neck where as there was no joy in doing that on the DRZ. I constantly bounce it off the rev limiter on the WR. I love the 6-speed. As other people have said, it feels more refined than the DRZ, which felt and looked old to me. Both bikes handle great, both have good brakes.

I test rode a stock WR250X and I remember it being slow. That was a few years ago. With some mods the WR is an awesome bike. It feels lightweight between your legs where as I always felt the weight of the DRZ, even though that never seemed to stop me riding like an idiot on it. If it matters, I am 6'2", 170lbs.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nice! If you buy it you beat my record for lowest mileage DRZ purchase.

I didnt realize this was a contest. I bought mine with 1,700 miles on it. :fella:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OK, someone here has to have bought a new DRZ

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Some say he's bought every bike he owns new...we just know, he posts under the name Spiffness.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
There's a local kart track that allows mini racing. Some friends have a CRF100 I think with sport tires. I am incredibly tempted to get in on this.... drat it looks fun.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Mini sportsman is hella fun. Its all the fun and none of the shame of pocketbike racing, plus, you know, some actual performance

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

From what I've seen while riding an XR / CRF100 there's not much performance to be had :haw:

Even the racier minibikes are kind of disappointing. I was very disappointed when I rode a CRF150R about a year ago. I will forever maintain that 2 stroke 85's are WAY more fun than that thing. Granted I'm a grown man and it'd be much faster for a 12 year old kid but I always thought they were pretty quick from their reputation. I guess they are much more useable than 85's but I think every kid should start out learning how to wring a small 2 stroke's neck. It's so fun jumping on one and having it be nothing but lag...lag....lag....HOLY poo poo. Always put a smile on my face.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

JP Money posted:

From what I've seen while riding an XR / CRF100 there's not much performance to be had :haw:

Even the racier minibikes are kind of disappointing. I was very disappointed when I rode a CRF150R about a year ago. I will forever maintain that 2 stroke 85's are WAY more fun than that thing. Granted I'm a grown man and it'd be much faster for a 12 year old kid but I always thought they were pretty quick from their reputation. I guess they are much more useable than 85's but I think every kid should start out learning how to wring a small 2 stroke's neck. It's so fun jumping on one and having it be nothing but lag...lag....lag....HOLY poo poo. Always put a smile on my face.

What I was getting at is that a CRF100 has way more chassis, brake, engine and suspension performance than some garbage chinese pocketbike, which is what a lot of people race in mini classes.

Yeah, the 100cc four strokes wont stand up to an 85cc two stroke, thats for sure.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

Some say he's bought every bike he owns new...we just know, he posts under the name Spiffness.

Just... 4.

...including a DRZ...

Worst 'new bike purchase' ever. Ah to be young.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

What I was getting at is that a CRF100 has way more chassis, brake, engine and suspension performance than some garbage chinese pocketbike, which is what a lot of people race in mini classes.

Yeah, the 100cc four strokes wont stand up to an 85cc two stroke, thats for sure.

Oh I know what you meant, sorry I went off on a tangent. 150R's basically replace 85 2 strokes now. They're a lot higher performance than the CRF/XR 100. Liquid cooled, actual suspension, etc.

I was just commenting how sedate / boring 150 4 strokes felt compared to more fun 85's.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Spiffness posted:

Just... 4.

...including a DRZ...

Worst 'new bike purchase' ever. Ah to be young.

Only bought one bike brand new, 04 GSXR-600, also worst new bike purchase ever. The bike was great, but the crazy depreciation and having a loan out on a motorcycle was not great.

Never again.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

The KTM's I don't regret buying new. The SV and the DRZ though, a bit. I had the money to pay them off quickly and really just wanted to build some credit history but the DRZ makes no sense to buy new but I didn't know that at the time. I just knew it looked like an awesome good time.

Think I sold it for $4500 with just under 10k on it, well modded. Which then became wheels for the 690 and a dirt bike.

In SM news the awesome SM track we have near Seattle closed down last year to anything other than rental karts due to a lack of permission to actually run anything else. There was a court battle, and they have apparently lost. Are now doing some last ditch effort to appeal but it's not going to happen. It really sucks, having spent almost two whole summers there, to not be able to ride anymore. gently caress the owners though, they acted stupidly and got what they deserved. I'm more pissed that they killed the PNW SM community in the process.

See, around 2008 a surge of SM started building in Washington, Oregon and BC (Cascadia for you separatists out there). Some of the local oldies busted their rear end and put a really awesome race season together featuring like 6 tracks, mostly parking lots with dirt brought in, and supported probably 80-100 actual SM riders at any given time. Then PGP came along and it was great, we had a new track, new venue, they loved SM, bam! More locations, more riders, probably pushing 200 people who would cycle in and out of various events and races ranging from guys with multiple KTM SMRs to kids who finally saw a good reason to buy that wheel set for their YZ250's.

We also had a location spring up in British Columbia, and two in northern Oregon. Then PGP decided they were going to run their own race series, and their dates would magically conflict with SM Northwest (the guys who were running the multiple stop series). It ended up stealing a lot of thunder from an already small and delicate community, shutting it down in the end. Then PGP goes and gets closed down by the county and now two years later we're left with a fractured sport that's lost all momentum again.

It makes me really sad. The good news is, with the court battle over and people officially swearing off PGP as being dead and dusted, there is a rumbling of noise coming from the old guys that the old race series might fire back up. There is also a new kart that wants to be SM friendly opening about an hour and a half north of Seattle.

I hope we can build it back up to what it was before, because it really was a great race series and I missed out at the time not having a proper SM bike. I'm ready now, and totally want to go racing.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Finally bit the bullet and bought the Epic Motosports FCR39MX with the R&D FlexJet for the DRZ

I bought an awesome carb for myself for my birthday, I'm not sure what that says about me

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Finally bit the bullet and bought the Epic Motosports FCR39MX with the R&D FlexJet for the DRZ

I bought an awesome carb for myself for my birthday, I'm not sure what that says about me

That your priorities for fun and highly rewarding birthday presents are in order?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I've not ridden a DRZ with one installed but I hear they do wonders. Next step is the big bore....

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had a used one from a YZ that I made work on my old DRZ and it was seriously like a motor swap

Every one i see on ebay now looks sketchy or is $650, so I just went with the new one from Epic

Big bore will come when I need it, but I'm not too interested in screwing with that right now, I'm trying to keep the engine pretty stock

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Happy Birthday Olde Weird Tip!

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

I think my next purchase is going to be an R6 throttle tube for the DRZ. I don't know if my wrists are just inflexible or what but I hate having to regrip to get WOT comfortably. I did the same type of thing on my Street Triple and it really woke the bike up. Felt like 100 extra cc's. Hands down better than the exhaust and dyno tune.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

wallaka posted:

I think my next purchase is going to be an R6 throttle tube for the DRZ. I don't know if my wrists are just inflexible or what but I hate having to regrip to get WOT comfortably. I did the same type of thing on my Street Triple and it really woke the bike up. Felt like 100 extra cc's. Hands down better than the exhaust and dyno tune.

Having to regrip to get to WOT is the worst no matter what bike you're on.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

SaNChEzZ posted:

Happy Birthday Olde Weird Tip!

:glomp:

SuperBrotard Thread: Because Real Men Hug It Out

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:glomp:

SuperBrotard Thread: Because Real Men Hug It Out

Definitely means that you're getting older and birthday gift decisions become more and more awesome with each added year of wisdom (and regret for not buying Nike parts sooner).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Anyone have a header for a DRZ of non-stock make that'll fit a yosh can? Better yet, anyone have any suggestions for good DRZ forums? I've skimmed TT for some but didn't see much lately.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TT and SMJ are the biggest ones. There is a DRZ forum in the UK and one in Australia as well that are pretty big.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

JP Money posted:

Well, just as I thought the search was going poorly I got tipped off on this:

2005 DRZ400SM
3500 Miles
BT016 tires
FCR Carb
Yosh Slip on
3x3 Mod
Loctite fixes
Thumpertalk Case savers
Protaper bar mounts and tag bars
Zeta Handguards
TNT Headlight (still have stocker)
Stainless Front Brake Line
Title in Hand
$3500

I plan to go close to 3,000 which is a pretty good deal. With only 3500 miles and an FCR I don't even mind paying 3300 or so...

Well she's mine. Picked it up this morning. It has really almost all the mods I want. I'll probably swap out for an Edge 2 taillight, throw an Acerbis sumo fender on and I need to put my Zeta levers on from my last DRZ but overall I'm happy with it. I need to practice my wheelies again. I've gotten rusty on the R6.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Congrats! That's a sweet ride!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!!

Welcome to the exclusive club of two-time-DRZ-owners :hfive:

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Thanks, it's good to be back. Although I'm starting to consider a big bore / cams already since I have the sumo itch once more :O

Does anyone know how to get the blinkers internal on the Edge taillight? Do I need that 12 o clock labs chip for that? On my old DRZ I had an LED strip for the brake light basically with turn signals built in. Now I have an Edge with the stock turn signals mounted. Is it possible to do this or am I misremembering?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I do not believe that you can get one half of the stock edge to flash (unless you know enough about electronics to re-wire it). I'm pretty sure it requires the 12 o'clock labs board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

That's disappointing. Wheeling Cycle has them for 85 bucks. I don't know about all that. Especially since the Edge lights themselves are less than half that price. Tough call but I might just find some less ugly turn signals and deal with it.

• Locked thread