Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

opengl128 posted:

If you end up getting a new endlink, just clamp a vice grip on the back of the old one, right over the boot. Worked great for me when I ran into the same issue.

So just clamp the endlink so I don't need to use the alan key? I don't care about spending $20 for a new endlink so if this would work I will try it...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Voltage posted:

So just clamp the endlink so I don't need to use the alan key? I don't care about spending $20 for a new endlink so if this would work I will try it...

Yup, then use the vice grip to hold it in place while you loosen the nut. Make sure you clamp over the boot, if you clamp the endlink further out it'll just spin. If clearance is tight needle nose vice grips may be needed

e: clamp right around here:

opengl fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 11, 2013

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Alright, I'll try that. I have one of these so hopefully it will work!

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
Played rusty brake-line whack-a-mole all weekend on my beater '99 Dakota. Had already replaced everything from the prop valve to the rear axle last year, this year everything from the master to the front brakes, after dealing with numerous parts store morons not understanding I needed a BUBBLE flare and not a double flare, found that Chrysler decided to use 2 different size fittings at various places making my life interesting.

Get it all together and the bit from the rear axle flex line to the wheel cylinders lets go when attempting a bleed. :argh:

Still not fixed. Will end up needing to replace both rear wheel cylinders because the fittings are too rusty to come off, and will need to call in some help because drum brakes are like carbs to me, voodoo wrapped in cheetah blood sprinkled with pixie dust.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Mighty Horse, just get your biggest, newest pair of vise grips, adjust them down until you have to strain to lock them onto the flare nut with both hands. Crank it back and forth like you're trying to loosen and tighten alternately until the rust and metal wears down a bit. Take the vise grips off, crank them down till you have to strain with both hands again, clamp them on in exactly the same spot. Repeat until two fairly deep flats have been formed in the former flare nut "hex", now crank that fucker loose. This has worked for me every time.

Worst case though, you can replace the wheel cylinders. They're usually like 10 bucks a pop and shouldn't be too hard to weasel into the mess of springs and cables inside the drum brake, only two or three bolts hold them in usually. Spread the shoes apart a little, sneak the old one out, sneak the new one in, bolt it down, and slap the drum back on, pretend you saw nothing.

Voltage, if you don't mind replacing the end link, get an angle grinder and just cut through the end of the stud and the nut like it's a giant slotted head screw, then use a chisel and a hammer to knock the two halves of the nut off what's left of the stud.

Desperately rusted vehicles require desperate measures.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Just grabbed a new end link for $20, I'll give it my all.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

I added even more wood. :v:

VanNuys
Feb 25, 2013

by Debbie Metallica

cursedshitbox posted:

I added even more wood. :v:

pure class.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Class on the inside, party on the outside.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Class on the inside, party on the outside.

...This applies to pretty much everything in my life.

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.
Day one(ish) of my small block 350 rebuild started today, popped my cherry and it was definitely a learning experience. I bought the engine yesterday for $250 and buddy threw in some extra heads. It almost bottomed out my rear suspension but I got it to work, the equipment rental place and home. Hoisted the engine out, got it on a stand and pulled off the valve covers, alternator, carb and distributor. Tomorrow I'm going to degrease the outside of the block wipe it clean.

Note to self: When mounting an engine on a stand, take the god drat mounting plate off the stand, bolt it on to the engine and THEN lower the plate and put it back into the stand. If you don't you will struggle for a half hour, get 3/4 bolts in and be unable to get the last one in and almost give up for the day. I seriously thought about my problem for 30 seconds, facepalmed, then did it properly in around 45 seconds. I felt so stupid for a good half hour after that. Ah well, live and learn.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Samu posted:

Day one(ish) of my small block 350 rebuild started today, popped my cherry and it was definitely a learning experience. I bought the engine yesterday for $250 and buddy threw in some extra heads. It almost bottomed out my rear suspension but I got it to work, the equipment rental place and home. Hoisted the engine out, got it on a stand and pulled off the valve covers, alternator, carb and distributor. Tomorrow I'm going to degrease the outside of the block wipe it clean.

Note to self: When mounting an engine on a stand, take the god drat mounting plate off the stand, bolt it on to the engine and THEN lower the plate and put it back into the stand. If you don't you will struggle for a half hour, get 3/4 bolts in and be unable to get the last one in and almost give up for the day. I seriously thought about my problem for 30 seconds, facepalmed, then did it properly in around 45 seconds. I felt so stupid for a good half hour after that. Ah well, live and learn.

What are you driving that a 350 bottomed out the suspension? Even with the accessories, 2 adult males usually outweigh that.

EightBit fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Mar 12, 2013

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
I filled up one of the tanks in the Fairlane today. $93 and it wasn't even empty. The LPG tank should take an additional $65-$70 worth. Goddamnit it's only going to get worse too.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

General_Failure posted:

I filled up one of the tanks in the Fairlane today. $93 and it wasn't even empty. The LPG tank should take an additional $65-$70 worth. Goddamnit it's only going to get worse too.

Reminds me of my '89 Suburban. :suicide:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Podothehobbit posted:

I finally took it on its first road course. It was a lot of fun and a bit terrifying to actually be on a track with other cars, quite a bit different from the auto-x experience! Firebird Raceway has some pretty neat tracks and I would recommend it to any AZ goons. I did manage to overcook a turn and put a wheel off track, of course it had to be one of the only days in the year that the track sees mud and I managed to cover the entire passenger side in it :v:

Awesome! I didn't ever think I would see someone else with a modified Yaris on here. Is yours turbocharged?

I am hoping to take mine to a trackday sometime this summer. The car is ready for it, at this point I just need a fresh set of tires and brake pads and she is is good to go.

As for what I did to my car recently: I found a used $100 Corbeau fixed seat to go with my seat rail I bought a while back. It lowered the seating position by at least 6", good thing I am tall or I wouldn't be able to see over the dash. The car is now far more comfortable to drive, it feels ergonomically correct for my size where before I was having to reach forward for the wheel and work the pedals with my legs and feet constantly cocked at weird angles. It also makes me feel like I am driving a go-kart.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
So I tried for over an hour yesterday and still couldn't get this goddamn endlink off. I am borrowing my coworkers dremel and grinder today and going to try to hack at it.

Rounded alan bolt that is causing the issue :

This is the bottom of the endlink connected to the swaybar which I will just cut off and leave attached to the old strut because I'm replacing it anyway.

Alright, where should I cut?

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

Alternatively, you could just ground a slit in the allen key like so:

and use a screw driver.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Looks solid, I will try this when I get home from work.

I've never done this before, so hopefully I don't cut my arms off!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Adiabatic posted:

and use a screw driver.

:drat:

So simple, yet so brilliant! I'm about to head back out to garage to try and get an old shock off again, and if the torch doesn't work, I am totally doing this!

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City

Nodoze posted:

Picked it up yesterday, got home today! 02 Suzuka Blue AP1 with 58 (now 59..) thou

Nice!! Welcome to the club :hfive:

Need more shots of everything! You've got 5,000 less miles than my '07.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Podothehobbit posted:

I finally took it on its first road course.

What group did you do it with and what was the overall experience like? I really want to do a proper track day with the MS3 eventually, even though it will almost certainly have to wait until I can replace the Ranger with something family-appropriate (while there is track-day insurance, I'm sure it still takes time to pay out).

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Awesome! I didn't ever think I would see someone else with a modified Yaris on here. Is yours turbocharged?

Its either turbocharged, or he has an intercooler just for looks.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Well, unless he and the Elise are both stopped he's carrying speed through that turn with almost no body roll, his camber seems to me dialed in, and his front tow hook cover is gone. I'm going with sleeper Yaris.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah it's turbocharged, I know he's posted about that fact before.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

and use a screw driver.

Worst case just keep cutting that way until you've cut all the way through the nut on both sides, then knock the halves off with a chisel and it should come right out.

Don't cut into the tab the anti sway bar link mounts to, obviously.

e: you are trying to loosen that nut, right? The allen socket is really only there to keep the stud from spinning while you try and unscrew the nut off it. If it's a giant ball of rust as it appears to be, it's probably easier to just cut it off though.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Paul Boz_ posted:

Nice!! Welcome to the club :hfive:

Need more shots of everything! You've got 5,000 less miles than my '07.

I'll take some tomorrow, it's raining now. The engine bay is pristine, you could eat off it. All the bolts are shiny and everything, all my friends almost poo poo themselves at work when I popped the hood. The interior is pretty mint too except for a few small nicks here and there (and one scratch in the dash by the door)

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

I am hoping to take mine to a trackday sometime this summer. The car is ready for it, at this point I just need a fresh set of tires and brake pads and she is is good to go.

As for what I did to my car recently: I found a used $100 Corbeau fixed seat to go with my seat rail I bought a while back. It lowered the seating position by at least 6", good thing I am tall or I wouldn't be able to see over the dash. The car is now far more comfortable to drive, it feels ergonomically correct for my size where before I was having to reach forward for the wheel and work the pedals with my legs and feet constantly cocked at weird angles. It also makes me feel like I am driving a go-kart.

Yes sir, i'm running a Zage turbokit at 8 psi with a bunch of 1ZZ parts tacked onto the 1NZ motor. Also the stock suspension has pretty much been completely replaced with aftermarket parts for a punishing but controlled ride. You should check out the microimage forum or PM me for some Yaris pointers if you'd like!

IOwnCalculus posted:

What group did you do it with and what was the overall experience like? I really want to do a proper track day with the MS3 eventually, even though it will almost certainly have to wait until I can replace the Ranger with something family-appropriate (while there is track-day insurance, I'm sure it still takes time to pay out).

Since it was my first time out at Proautosports I was in the novice group but after I got my license from them i've been put into the orange run group. The experience was great, the instructors were very helpful and most of them have 10+ years of road racing experience. Funny you mentioned the MS3 as I went with a friend and he ran a MS3 as well, he had a blast and was pretty competitive on the track. As for trackday insurance I chose not to go that route, but then again i'm driving a cheap Toyota commuter :v: . I would highly recommend keeping an eye on groupon or livingsocial as they frequently have heavily discounted rates on track events sometimes.

Jealous Cow posted:

Well, unless he and the Elise are both stopped he's carrying speed through that turn with almost no body roll, his camber seems to me dialed in, and his front tow hook cover is gone. I'm going with sleeper Yaris.

I lost the cover a long time ago and have been way too lazy finding a replacement :v:

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 12, 2013

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

For me the fear isn't strictly the financial aspect (there is that) but the MS3 is the only car I have that can safely fit me, the wife, and the car seat. Going too hard and either breaking something or screwing it up in an off-track excursion is a bad thing for me right now.

I could go insane and track the GMC, I suppose :getin:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 12, 2013

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Yeah, tracking my daily driver definitely kept me from running it too hard. Probably just as well, but I'd still like to run one day with a car I can wad up and tow home.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

For me the fear isn't strictly the financial aspect (there is that) but the MS3 is the only car I have that can safely fit me, the wife, and the car seat. Going too hard and either breaking something or screwing it up in an off-track excursion is a bad thing for me right now.

Oh I feel you. One of my other friends who decided to bring his Corolla to the track managed to wear his front passenger tire down to the cords at the event and had to have it flatbedded back to Tempe, he was not happy and was down his daily driver.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I know of a guy that tracks his super sexy Typhoon, fwiw.

Obligatory video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Llpoy30D8XE

skip to 1:45

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
IOwnCalculus you should totally track the GMC! I don't think they have a restriction on trucks/suvs and I know we had a Honda-CRV in the run group, which was awesome just for being different.

That Typhoon loving rocks as well.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Podothehobbit posted:

IOwnCalculus you should totally track the GMC! I don't think they have a restriction on trucks/suvs and I know we had a Honda-CRV in the run group, which was awesome just for being different.

Some groups have a limit on your vehicle's rollover number. I can't remember what the name of that number is, but it isn't that great of a real-life predicator of rollover. However, most trucks and SUVs have a number that are over the typical limit.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Flew to Wyoming Sunday and picked up one of my two Audis and brought it home.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Some groups have a limit on your vehicle's rollover number. I can't remember what the name of that number is, but it isn't that great of a real-life predicator of rollover. However, most trucks and SUVs have a number that are over the typical limit.

Yeah i'm not sure about this particular organization. To put it in perspective we had a self safety check which was weird to someone who is used to safety stewards going over the car. Looking over the group's rules there doesn't seem to be any sort of rollover restriction. Weird....

Samu
Jan 11, 2010

The only thing I hate more than hippie neo-liberal fascists and anarchists are the hypocrite fat cat suits they grow up to become.

EightBit posted:

What are you driving that a 350 bottomed out the suspension? Even with the accessories, 2 adult males usually outweigh that.

A beat up 98 S10. I had the engine, extra heads and an engine hoist in the bed. It was probably around 650 - 700 pounds. I had a bit of play but not much.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I still can't get these goddamn nuts off the endlink. I went at it with a dremel for quite some time and got pretty far through it but I was working on the edge of my garage and it was pouring rain so I had to give up. Hopefully today I will get through the rest. I did get the brake line free so its just those bolts to cut and I'm home free. I love how I got 3 of the 4 shocks done in only 2 or so hours and I am hung up on two loving tiny bolts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Podothehobbit posted:

I'm pretty sure I'd roast the brakes after about two laps, though :v: They're upgraded from stock, but that only means I have the stock-for-1971 front discs instead of stock-for-1970 front drums. Trying to panic-stop about 4200lb after repeatedly pushing it with 300hp may be out of the realm of what that thing can do...for now.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

The water pump tensioner pulley was making noise in the '02 Deville. Replaced the whole tensioner assembly and yep... that noise went away. Unfortunately, the water pump itself is rattling, too. Got that on order now. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Replaced a dragging rear caliper on my '99 avalon. First time I've done something remotely mechanical on any of our cars aside from changing the oil in quite some time. Was nice to fix the problem for cheap for a change.