Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

deep square leg posted:

Australia traditionally doesn't do very well in India. Yeah, the team isn't very good at the moment and there's no gilding the lily there but it's par for the course.

There's "not doing very well" and there's "comically shooting yourself in the foot".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gabensraum
Sep 16, 2003

LOAD "NICE!",8,1

Paul.Power posted:

There's "not doing very well" and there's "comically shooting yourself in the foot".

I also don't have pay tv and avoid sports media so I'm just learning about this now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Dunno what's more WTF - Bangladesh scoring 600+ and their first player to score a double or this LOLstralia nonsense reaching truly unprecedented heights.

Seriously, dropped for not doing homework???? gently caress it, have the Ashes for a decade more. What a disgrace

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'd be laughing harder, but this is exactly what England will be like when that chucklefuck Giles gets put in charge.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I think a Shane Watson powerepoint presentation could be an all time high point in the world of unintended humour.

Somehow, we've ALL missed out - how much better if these guys had 'done their homework' and it got leaked?

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I really hope that Australia lose the 3rd test by an innings and 500 runs. Ideally with only two wickets, one run out and one timed out.

Surely the coaches job is to do the homework..

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Sounds like Shane Watson is going to quit test cricket. :thumbsup:

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

Tbf if my homework was how to make Australia good i don't think I'd be able to do it either.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

thehappyprince posted:

Tbf if my homework was how to make Australia good i don't think I'd be able to do it either.

Make it a province of New Zealand? West Islands?

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Questions must be asked about Clarke's captaincy at this point tbh.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Questions should be asked about every manager at Cricket Australia.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Cocksmith posted:

Questions must be asked about Clarke's captaincy at this point tbh.

You could tell something wasn't right about him when he wouldn't move up the order, but people here brazenly defended him. Well, now the chickens are coming home to roost.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Arthur's guide to building team harmony & morale.

Publicly humiliate 4 players for not doing their lovely homework project.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There's a certain amount of "loving petulant children won't do a simple task", but there's also a solid helping of "loving idiot should know you don't manage professional athletes like office juniors".

Should be good watching the fallout when they get home from a whitewash tour.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
I see all this in a different way. The team is in crisis mode, they got embarrassed in the last test and these four players were given an extremely simple task to do by the team management. Now I am sure things in the Australian team work just like they do elsewhere. When you are asked by the management to do something you do it. While at face-value all they have done is not complete a piece of homework, it's the underlying attitude problem that caused the non-completion that they are being punished for. When a team is in strife like this one is everyone needs to come together and do what they're told by management and the captain to give themselves the best chance of getting through it.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I just love the ineptitude of calling up Khawaja for the first time in 2 years and then suspending him before he had a chance to play because he didn't offer any feedback on how to improve the performance of the team after a match that he wasn't even involved in.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I wonder what it is about Michael Clarke, though. Katich obviously didn't like him, there were the Hussey rumours, and I think it's safe to say Watson isn't a big fan either. Can't say too much I suppose, considering he's the only player worth a poo poo, but we might be talking cuntitude on an unprecedented scale here.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Maybe we're witnessing a rare occurrence, a man embracing his inner oval office and rising to a higher plane of cuntitude.

Cocksmith
Dec 28, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
He's 100% pure oval office, the living embodiment of oval office.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
There has to be more to this than just a missed homework assignment.

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
Well, they hadn't been filling in their daily wellness forms either

quote:

While Clarke did not elaborate on what other standards had not been met, Arthur earlier in the day said that some players had failed to fill in the daily wellness forms required to allow the sports science and medical staff to monitor their health. Clarke said an accumulation of minor infractions - regardless of the players involved - had led to a decision that an example had to be made

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Shmoses posted:

There has to be more to this than just a missed homework assignment.

Turns out.... yes you are right. And not just wellness forms as above. So it is more seeming this is a bunch of poo poo has been building for a while.

Clarke - just a oval office or a truly ruthless oval office who wants 11 more cunts in the team?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
No wonder Ponting retired when he did, not just because his form was poor, I just can't see him put up with any of this poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
At this rate Michael Clarke will turn up to the Ashes and open the batting with the 'walking back' rule in force.

He will also be the opening bowler and the wicket keeper will be a bin.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

serious gaylord posted:

At this rate Michael Clarke will turn up to the Ashes and open the batting with the 'walking back' rule in force.

He will also be the opening bowler and the wicket keeper will be a bin.

loving hell, is Haddin recalled?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iajanus posted:

loving hell, is Haddin recalled?

A bin catches better than Haddin

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cat Terrist posted:

Turns out.... yes you are right. And not just wellness forms as above. So it is more seeming this is a bunch of poo poo has been building for a while.

Clarke - just a oval office or a truly ruthless oval office who wants 11 more cunts in the team?

What do you mean turns out? All I can find is Clarke saying it didn't start now. But that means that exactly the same four people who didn't do the assignment were also misbehaving beforehand. Unless of course, someone else didn't do it, but was a first time offender. The evidence against Clarke's man-management skills is growing. Katich, Hussey, and now these four. I think it might have been a mistake to make the captain one of the selectors. Can you imagine the same situation if Clarke wasn't playing as well as he is?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Cat Terrist posted:

A bin catches better than Haddin

So what catches better than Wade then? A flowerpot?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Unimpressed posted:

I think it might have been a mistake to make the captain one of the selectors.

I dunno, making the Captain one of the selectors has worked quite well for England for a while now.
Maybe the problem was giving the role of Captain to your best player. The WIndies tried that for a while, with Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Gayle, but it was only when they gave the job to Sammy that they started improving as a team.

[EDIT]
Clarke strikes me as the kind of man who'd tell a newly-dismissed batsman how he should have played the shot, and then maybe demonstrate for him.

kingturnip fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Mar 11, 2013

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I thought England got rid of the captain having sway over selections after the 06/07 debacle?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Selectors pick the squad, Captain and Coach pick the team from it, afaik.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Hasn't the captain been one of the AU selectors for ages? Like at least since Waugh, and maybe even Taylor/Border as well?

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

webmeister posted:

Hasn't the captain been one of the AU selectors for ages? Like at least since Waugh, and maybe even Taylor/Border as well?

No, Clarke was added to the selection panel when they put Inverarity in. Under Hilditch, the captain wasn't on the panel. I don't know how it was before that.

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007

Largepotato posted:

Arthur's guide to building team harmony & morale.

Publicly humiliate 4 players for not doing their lovely homework project.

Two of whom didn't play the last two tests, and one who bowled his ring out and was let down by everyone else. I'd love to see a press conference where those four got together and said "screw you, Arthur and Clarke, you're a pair of manchildren, and here's what really goes on behind the scenes", followed by an exposition of all the crap we've suspected now for a while. It would be glorious.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
It was suggested in the media Clarke went absolutely mental over the way the side batted in the first innings. Just giving it to everyone.

Maybe they are all precious darlings who cannot handle being yelled at when they play like poo poo.

EDIT

And even if Clarke is a control freak mentalist who takes great pleasure in making other players sad the facts are he is the best player in the side by a ludicrous margin and the player it appears is taking the stand should have been dropped about two years ago anyway.

The only reason I care is because of the rumours out there that Clarke just doesn't like SOK and thats why hes not in the side. SOK isn't Warne but he's the best we have right now.

Burn Down Canberra fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 12, 2013

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I can't wait until this O'Keefe fella is picked so we can see how much this thread has overhyped him.

Hyperriker
Nov 1, 2008

ur fukt m8

Unimpressed posted:

So what catches better than Wade then? A flowerpot?

Haddin :(

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I like this bit anyway

quote:

"We can't accept mediocrity here. This is the Australian cricket team. Maybe I am biased [but] there is a big difference between this team and other cricket teams. If you play for Australia there is a lot that comes with that and standards, discipline, culture that is all a big part of what we are talking about here."

Apparently the Australian cricket team has higher standards, discipline and culture than any other cricket team.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Mister Chief posted:

I can't wait until this O'Keefe fella is picked so we can see how much this thread has overhyped him.

He is the best option in the country. If he is international quality we would have to see but based on shield form he is the best choice for the job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingturnip posted:

I dunno, making the Captain one of the selectors has worked quite well for England for a while now.
Maybe the problem was giving the role of Captain to your best player. The WIndies tried that for a while, with Lara, Sarwan, Chanderpaul and Gayle, but it was only when they gave the job to Sammy that they started improving as a team.

[EDIT]
Clarke strikes me as the kind of man who'd tell a newly-dismissed batsman how he should have played the shot, and then maybe demonstrate for him.

I'm not sure this is it either, having their best player as captain didn't work out too badly for the Windies in the '80s.

• Locked thread