Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
An interesting suggestion to cold hands I heard was to put self-adhesive foam (the sort you use for draught-proofing doors) on the front of your levers to help avoid the pretty massive heat loss you get through he levers when riding in town. Not going to try it myself for the same reason I won't have bar muffs, I'd literally rather lose a finger to frostbite, but might be okay for others less pathologically vain than me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
I'd recommend concentrating on blocking the wind more than adding insulation. I've found that "summer" gloves behind hand guards are a lot warmer than "winter" gloves with no hand guards.

Oh, and if you can swing the $$$ for a set of aftermarket heated grips I'd highly recommend it. Riding in the cold with them is SOOO much more comfortable.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Yea these people know what's up. I had heated grips on my BMW but anything over in-town speeds made them practically useless, my fingers got very cold very quick even with winter/insulated gloves. Handguards probably would have helped quite a bit.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea these people know what's up. I had heated grips on my BMW but anything over in-town speeds made them practically useless, my fingers got very cold very quick even with winter/insulated gloves. Handguards probably would have helped quite a bit.

I've actually found that "winter" gloves suck with BMW heated grips. The extra insulation nullifies the heated element. Wearing a pair of summer-ish gauntlets with the grips worked a lot better.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

ThatCguy posted:

I've actually found that "winter" gloves suck with BMW heated grips. The extra insulation nullifies the heated element. Wearing a pair of summer-ish gauntlets with the grips worked a lot better.

My palms were OK but fingertips were very cold. I've tried short trips with my normal gloves and they were worse yet.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
I have heated gloves and they're pretty good down to freezing temperatures. I have the Tourmaster ones, but I think that the Gerbing ones will get even hotter and are probably good for any temperature.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

goddamnedtwisto posted:

An interesting suggestion to cold hands I heard was to put self-adhesive foam (the sort you use for draught-proofing doors) on the front of your levers to help avoid the pretty massive heat loss you get through he levers when riding in town. Not going to try it myself for the same reason I won't have bar muffs, I'd literally rather lose a finger to frostbite, but might be okay for others less pathologically vain than me.

I'd think that some kind of adhesive gauze wrap would work better, yeah? That foam compresses pretty easily.

Hell, I'm surprised they don't make plastic covers for levers for this very reason. Still love my muffs though. If worried about the looks of them, I'm sure people are worried about the looks of someone riding in 30 degree weather!

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

So I traded my two brothers exhaust for a two brothers exhaust. except it exits on the opposite correct side!

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Mar 13, 2013

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
mmm that VFR is hot. What year and where are more pics?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

EvilCrayon posted:

So I traded my two brothers exhaust for a two brothers exhaust. except it exits on the opposite side!

The proper side, the whole reason behind single sided swingers was for fast wheel changes in endurance races, which was then compromised by putting the exhaust in the way on certain street models.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Single sided swing arms are pure sex.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

EvilCrayon posted:

So I traded my two brothers exhaust for a two brothers exhaust. except it exits on the opposite side!

I really, really, really want white wheels for my VFR with the rear being an 8-spoke. gently caress, now I'm googling again...

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

TheScott2K posted:

I really, really, really want white wheels for my VFR with the rear being an 8-spoke. gently caress, now I'm googling again...

I like the whites, but I think they'd get dirty to easily... I'm so lazy.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

KodiakRS posted:

I'd recommend concentrating on blocking the wind more than adding insulation. I've found that "summer" gloves behind hand guards are a lot warmer than "winter" gloves with no hand guards.

Oh, and if you can swing the $$$ for a set of aftermarket heated grips I'd highly recommend it. Riding in the cold with them is SOOO much more comfortable.

My XLR has hand guards but my hands still get pretty cold up until ~40 degrees, to the point I wouldn't ride more than a half hour or so with my regular gloves. The PO used to use some mitts he got at Costco that had pouches you could drop a chemical heating packet into, although I know the Costco mitts aren't going to provide much protection if I go down.

If I was going to be keeping the bike indefinitely I'd probably go with heated grips, but since next winter is going to be my last on it I'll probably pick up a pair of Hippo Hands and take them with me when I move.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

EvilCrayon posted:

Holy poo poo that picture is perfect.
I have been looking for a VFR for about 2 months now (seriously buying this time) and I love that CB100 back there.

Can we be friends?

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I have been looking for a VFR for about 2 months now (seriously buying this time) and I love that CB100 back there.

Can we be friends?

How are we not friends? PM inbound.

BlackMK4 posted:

mmm that VFR is hot. What year and where are more pics?

1990 so I like to tell myself that the tooling was brand new at the time.

I don't currently have any more photos since I am in the process of tearing her down and doing a spring cleaning. I've been riding close to 1300 miles a week (90% San Francisco and 10% highway) so when I get home at night, I just clean and lube the chain as I shake my head at the dirtiest beautiful rear wheel in the world. I should probably replace some bulbs in the dash while I'm at it. At night, the only part of the gauge that is lit up is the fuel/temp gauge and tachometer, and even then it is only illuminated from 6k and up.

Oh and I am about to hit 120,000 miles. Go VFR.

EvilCrayon fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Mar 13, 2013

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

EvilCrayon posted:

So I traded my two brothers exhaust for a two brothers exhaust. except it exits on the opposite correct side!

That is a loving hot bike, awesome 90s styling.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
drat I've wished my exhaust was on the left since I got mine, that's awesome! I don't understand why Honda didn't want to flaunt that.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Can we be friends?

Are you on the west coast? I'm ready to let mine go this spring.

Smile
Dec 16, 2005

my first dirtbike as an adult!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nitramster posted:

drat I've wished my exhaust was on the left since I got mine, that's awesome! I don't understand why Honda didn't want to flaunt that.

Are you on the west coast? I'm ready to let mine go this spring.

I'm just outside of DC actually :-/
But I'm curious about motorcycle values over your way. How much are you asking for it?

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005
My latest toy, yumm.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Tiglath III posted:

My latest toy, yumm.

drat you to HELL!

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Tiglath III posted:

My latest toy, yumm.

I see a sneaky saltire... whur ye fae?

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Wootcannon posted:

I see a sneaky saltire... whur ye fae?

East Lothian where its always sunny oot. Cold, but sunny. ;)

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

Tiglath III posted:

East Lothian where its always sunny oot. Cold, but sunny. ;)

So what you're saying is there's sunshine on Leith? :downsrim: I'm over in Glasgow, or as you know it Mordor.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm just outside of DC actually :-/
But I'm curious about motorcycle values over your way. How much are you asking for it?

Probably going to start with 3800 and see if there's any interest. It's got hard bags and 15k miles, but some 0mph scratches on both sides of the fairings :(

When I get my tax return I want to get a pure sportbike. I love my viffer but I have a truck to get groceries in these days and I want to get on the track.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Nitramster posted:

Probably going to start with 3800 and see if there's any interest. It's got hard bags and 15k miles, but some 0mph scratches on both sides of the fairings :(

When I get my tax return I want to get a pure sportbike. I love my viffer but I have a truck to get groceries in these days and I want to get on the track.

That is actually an excellent deal and if I could afford it + shipping I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.
Looks like I'll be getting this instead though:

I'm already in the process of taking out a loan for it (yes I'm too broke to afford a couple grand at the moment).

The tough decision will be: do I keep it stock and try to sell it and break even later, or do I just start hacking away at it and modifying it?
I'm already considering de-linking the brake, but I'm going to give it an honest try first.
I think the 800's tail is awful, and I'm considering a tail swap.

I'm going to ride it as-is until it's paid off, then I'll start considering making changes.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
whoops

Chriskory fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 3, 2013

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams
I was looking for an SV650 or FZ6, maybe even a salvage street triple. But all the good deals were being gobbled up by hungry hungry hippos. So, I got this. It's torquey.

Tiglath III
Feb 25, 2005

Chriskory posted:

I was looking for an SV650 or FZ6, maybe even a salvage street triple. But all the good deals were being gobbled up by hungry hungry hippos. So, I got this. It's torquey.

That's extremely nice. Good find.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Chriskory posted:

God those Z-REXES are sexy as gently caress, cool color too. :)

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Shakedown runs!

Holy hell I forgot how much fun it was to ride this little guy.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What is the one closest to us in that picture? The one with 711 on the back?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Its still somewhat of a FZR. less so now, but still a Fzr. I've spent the past month or two going through it. (again)

I might be bringing home a YSR in the opposite paint scheme in a few days.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 4, 2013

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Chriskory posted:

Well done, those are very ZRXY.

Rog McDodge
Oct 21, 2005
Here's me on my Honda Fury at the weekend.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

That is actually an excellent deal and if I could afford it + shipping I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.

I'm already in the process of taking out a loan for it (yes I'm too broke to afford a couple grand at the moment).

The tough decision will be: do I keep it stock and try to sell it and break even later, or do I just start hacking away at it and modifying it?
I'm already considering de-linking the brake, but I'm going to give it an honest try first.

I'm going to ride it as-is until it's paid off, then I'll start considering making changes.

I have a 99 also, I wouldn't real change anything on it. I bought mine with 38k on it and currently have almost 53k miles on it, no real issues besides a new set of tires and a couple of oil changes.

The linked brakes work fine, they potentially might suck on a track but for normal street riding they're not noticeable at all.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

God those Z-REXES are sexy as gently caress, cool color too. :)

So that is a Zed Rex, I wasn't sure. I've only ever seen them with the Eddie Lawson fairing.

God drat that's a good looking bike. I dunno what it is but the ZRX has to be one of my favorite looking bikes ever, in ways that other retro bikes just aren't for me.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The only mod worth doing to these is finding an old power commander and putting a slip on map for it. I owned two of these and found that the power commander fix worked much better (and easier to install) than the fuel pressure regulator fix. You may or may not care about the surgey throttle but it bugged me enough to mess with it.

I think de-linking brakes is silly - the system worked flawlessly aside from being a pain to bleed.

Not sure what modifications you'd want to do to the bike, but these bikes don't have much of an aftermarket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

n8r posted:

Not sure what modifications you'd want to do to the bike, but these bikes don't have much of an aftermarket.

Hard bags are an obvious option