Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What? I'm using two identical USB drives with Rekordbox right now. I have no problems copying playlists, tracks, anything to multiple devices - aside from it being slow as Hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

So what's everyones thoughts on beatport getting bought out?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I'm willing to be it will be business as usual. There will probably be more "Beatport" branded events but I can't really see much else happening.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Hey all, what kind of basic set up would I need in order to start DJing college house parties? I like to play techno, house, etc, and I would just be using two turntables and a mixer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Paul Kersey posted:

Hey all, what kind of basic set up would I need in order to start DJing college house parties? I like to play techno, house, etc, and I would just be using two turntables and a mixer.
Records. You also need records.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Headphones would also probably help.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Speakers would be good, unless you plan on using your headphones as your speakers.

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Maybe a tip jar, and hell of drugs.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
With enough drugs you could probably get by without any of that equipment.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

Old Man Pants posted:

I can't blame Beatport for pursuing their aim to strengthen their position as MVP in online music distribution. But I do have some problems with their business model. It's becoming too much of a money making machine and not in favor of those who actually supply the content. Sure if you're a major label you can bargain for a nifty licensing deal, but small labels mostly get a lot of demands regarding exclusivity and little money in return.
But at least the guys that founded Beatport had a love for music to start with, I highly doubt you can say the same about SFX. Their only goal seems to be to jump on the whole EDM-exploitation bandwagon and secure their position as the supplier of choice for the upcoming American market. These people see EDM and thus Beatport as a perfect business opportunity, nothing more.

As a European that pretty much grew up with electronic music, it's kind of hard to not get totally pessimistic about these developments. In almost every article I read about EDM that is published in mainstream US media, the undertone always seems to be how much money you could earn from this relatively new musical subculture. [example]
Don't get me wrong, some people in Europe have gotten filthy rich with their music as well . But the thing is in stead of wondering of how much money can be squeezed out of EDM, the discussion here is mainly about artistic recognition and the acceptance of dance music as part of mainstream culture.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Sjoewe posted:

I can't blame Beatport for pursuing their aim to strengthen their position as MVP in online music distribution. But I do have some problems with their business model. It's becoming too much of a money making machine and not in favor of those who actually supply the content. Sure if you're a major label you can bargain for a nifty licensing deal, but small labels mostly get a lot of demands regarding exclusivity and little money in return.
But at least the guys that founded Beatport had a love for music to start with, I highly doubt you can say the same about SFX. Their only goal seems to be to jump on the whole EDM-exploitation bandwagon and secure their position as the supplier of choice for the upcoming American market. These people see EDM and thus Beatport as a perfect business opportunity, nothing more.

As a European that pretty much grew up with electronic music, it's kind of hard to not get totally pessimistic about these developments. In almost every article I read about EDM that is published in mainstream US media, the undertone always seems to be how much money you could earn from this relatively new musical subculture. [example]
Don't get me wrong, some people in Europe have gotten filthy rich with their music as well . But the thing is in stead of wondering of how much money can be squeezed out of EDM, the discussion here is mainly about artistic recognition and the acceptance of dance music as part of mainstream culture.

maybe you've heard of a little genre I like to call "hip-hop"

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Old Man Pants posted:

Full disclosure: I used to work there, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

If you read the original billboard article you'll see that it mentions that Beatport operated at a loss last year of 2mm. I suspect that they have been struggling with profitability for a while now so this could be just as much of a survival tactic as anything else.

There was a ton of vitriol on my Facebook feed the last few days about this because of the presumed association with Clear Channel and how it was the end of music and how everything was terrible and blah blah blah. The confusion stems from the fact that Sillerman's *previous* company (also called SFX) got bought out by Clear Channel a few years ago. His *current* company is the one that bought Beatport

There was another article posted yesterday which I just came across
http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/digital-and-mobile/1550102/sillerman-adell-talk-sfx-beatport-deal-a-great-starting

Some choice quotes (emphasis mine):

quote:

But judging from conversations today with Sillerman and Beatport CEO Matthew Adell, Beatport could be the lynchpin of the entire venture, encompassing music sales, mobile media, research, and even ticketing.

“Beatport is unquestionably the source for EDM music for DJs, and consequently it provides the backbone - the DNA, if you will - for what is successful and what people like,” says Sillerman. “It provides us a great starting point for really everything we do.”

quote:

“Look, Beatport has 40 million users, the majority of whom are not in the U.S.,” he said. “I don’t know how people value these things, but if you take a look at a business like Instagram, it only had 10 million users and no revenue. So what are 40 million users with lots of revenue worth? If we paid $50 million, maybe it’s the bargain of all time.”

quote:

The company received a $12 million investment in 2007 from Insight Venture Partners, which at the time valued it at $50 million – SFX’s reported purchase price today. Tempel and Roulier have since moved on to pursue DJ careers of their own (Roulier in popular dance duo Manufacturer Superstars), and Insight brought on current CEO Adell, who had stints at Motorola, Napster, and Amazon under his belt, not to mention dance music pedigree as VP of WaxTrax! and head of label Organico. Under his watch, Beatport has launched a slew of new initiatives, including a News channel, DJ pages (like a social network for DJs within the site), Mixes (allowing users to package and sell tracks available on Beatport), and Baseware, which helps labels distribute their music outside of Beatport.

quote:

In addition to a thriving and diversified retail-based business, SFX gets Beatport’s users: At the most simplistic level, their 80 million eyeballs (“We’ll use the Beatport platform to help promote events, and the event audiences to help promote awareness of Beatport,” says Chris Stephenson, CMO of SFX), but also their data, including demography, buying preferences, and the songs, artists and genres they like in real-time.

“This is perfectly aligned with what Beatport has been doing for years,” says Adell. “The more data we have the more value we can create.”

That powerful information can help influence SFX business decisions, as well as create attractive targeting capabilities for potential sponsors.

“It’s interesting speaking to brands and advertisers; they really want to connect with this audience, tens of millions of 18-34s, but there’s no real platform for them to do so,” says Stephenson, who headed up Sillerman’s social TV app Viggle before his SFX appointment. “One of our goals is to be able to provide a really elegant platform solution from both the digital and analog side of the business to advertisers. It’s a really exciting thing that doesn’t exist right now.”

That proposed platform will transcend mere event sponsorships and music downloads. Both Stephenson and Adell speak of point-of-sale and ticketing opportunities under the Beatport brand, all powered by mobile.

The whole article is worth a read.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I'm a god drat business genius.

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008

reichsten posted:

maybe you've heard of a little genre I like to call "hip-hop"

Isn't that the thing where someone talks about the struggles of street life over random bits of sampled soul records?

But please do explain.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

I'm surprised that Beatport was operating at a loss. You'd think the largest retailer for Dance music would at least manage to break even.

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

keevo posted:

I'm surprised that Beatport was operating at a loss. You'd think the largest retailer for Dance music would at least manage to break even.

If I had to guess, it would be because of how much stuff they sponsor. Theres a Beatport stage at just about every festival now, and headliners, space, and equipment ain't cheap.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium

Old Man Pants posted:

If I had to guess, it would be because of how much stuff they sponsor. Theres a Beatport stage at just about every festival now, and headliners, space, and equipment ain't cheap.

I'd imagine that kind of stuff plays a massive part, as well as advertising/plugging in general (nevermind upkeep, wages etc). But I wouldn't be half surprised if a lot of the problems it faces are the same as the average high street record shop faces. Getting people to actually buy music is difficult nowadays. Plus there's a good amount of competition out there too, which doesn't do them any favours.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
My friends looking to get into DJing and has a budget of $400, looking to get a controller. It'd be nice if it had the ability to move through the track like the S2 does but if that's a feature only Traktor uses then other suggestions are fine. I don't really know which entry level controllers are the best cause I'm sure there are new ones since I got my S2 last year. Any help?

-Has no soundcard, has a macbook, only has VDJ free.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Blowdryer posted:

My friends looking to get into DJing and has a budget of $400, looking to get a controller. It'd be nice if it had the ability to move through the track like the S2 does but if that's a feature only Traktor uses then other suggestions are fine. I don't really know which entry level controllers are the best cause I'm sure there are new ones since I got my S2 last year. Any help?

-Has no soundcard, has a macbook, only has VDJ free.

You can get a VCI-300 for just about that, and it's a soundcard and has the Serato Itch software free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vestax-VCI-300-/300870287726?pt=US_Digital_DJ_Controllers&hash=item460d44416e

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
http://www.ustream.tv/beatport

Bones :allears:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Was gunna post this earlier! Sent it to several friends who also enjoyed it. Saw it posted by beatport on FB :v:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Aww, thanks guys. Posted in the mix thread but not this one

Will be posting up the recording and tracklisting later

phractured
Feb 21, 2008
It seems strange to me that Instagram went for a billion and Beatport went for $50 Mil.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

phractured posted:

It seems strange to me that Instagram went for a billion and Beatport went for $50 Mil.

I wonder if the deal would have gone differently if Beatport was a Silicon Valley startup instead of a Denver startup

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.
I get my Z2 in a couple of days. Just waiting for the next payday. :allears: I'm so excited

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I have a question-- where do most of y'all get/hear new music? If it's FILEZ, obviously do not post it, but where do you buy music and where do you find new music? I have found some cool tracks on turntable.fm, for example.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Pay for your goddamn music you mongs

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

vanilla slimfast posted:

Pay for your goddamn music you mongs

To be clear I'm not asking for filez but just places where other people talk about new music. I'm not even a real live DJ yet. Also, is it ever a problem finding a sick track but there is absolutely nowhere to buy it?

Sjoewe
Nov 30, 2008
Ah problems of the digital age.

Just learn to value some people have music you will never own, as they well value you coming up with something they'll never have.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

an skeleton posted:

Also, is it ever a problem finding a sick track but there is absolutely nowhere to buy it?
Yes. If you're listening to promo DJ mixes or live sets often times some of the tracks are unreleased. Most of the time those tracks are eventually released, but sometimes they aren't.

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Splinter posted:

Yes. If you're listening to promo DJ mixes or live sets often times some of the tracks are unreleased. Most of the time those tracks are eventually released, but sometimes they aren't.

Yeah, this happened with a dude called Victor Niglio if you have ever heard of him. Someone played a SICK track by him on Turntable, and the only place it exists is in a ~2 minuteish form at the end of one of his podcasts. Hopefully he'll release it one day, it's called "Elvis" if anyone on the off-chance knows where to find it.

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

an skeleton posted:

To be clear I'm not asking for filez but just places where other people talk about new music. I'm not even a real live DJ yet. Also, is it ever a problem finding a sick track but there is absolutely nowhere to buy it?

Been waiting for this Joy O track for months and months, ever since I heard it on his RA podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aioJYp4zE

Shadow Child did that poo poo too, his Troupe mix had like 8 unreleased tracks, and then over the following 6 months he released them slowly.

I follow DJs I like, then find tracks in their sets that I love, and then follow those artists and labels on Beatport. I check Beatport every week and load my cart until I have like 40 or 50 bucks worth, then buy the chunk. Keep doing this until you die.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

For Dance music I've been listening to podcasts to find songs that I like. For Hip Hop and other poo poo, I go off of the radio and whatever I hear about/like. Then I'll go to Beatport or my record pool to get the songs.

Lump Shaker
Nov 20, 2001

an skeleton posted:

I have a question-- where do most of y'all get/hear new music? If it's FILEZ, obviously do not post it, but where do you buy music and where do you find new music? I have found some cool tracks on turntable.fm, for example.

I'm mainly into techno and I just follow people on Soundcloud and follow labels/artists on Beatport. Also if there is a forum for your favorite genre that is helpful too, for me its subsekt.

28 Gun Bad Boy
Nov 5, 2009

Never been to Belgium
It's kinda tragic nobody has mentioned it yet, but don't forget your local record store if you have one (hopefully it hasn't turned into another Starbucks/Subway/empty shopfront). None are better at pointing out new stuff you might like, or keeping back that extra promo or two than the person behind the counter.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

It's kinda tragic nobody has mentioned it yet, but don't forget your local record store if you have one (hopefully it hasn't turned into another Starbucks/Subway/empty shopfront). None are better at pointing out new stuff you might like, or keeping back that extra promo or two than the person behind the counter.

every record store in my area has records from 2003 for 24.99 or 17.99 for one track and 3 lovely remixes.

they can go the gently caress out of business for all i care.

Anae
Apr 23, 2008

reichsten posted:

Been waiting for this Joy O track for months and months, ever since I heard it on his RA podcast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-aioJYp4zE

Shadow Child did that poo poo too, his Troupe mix had like 8 unreleased tracks, and then over the following 6 months he released them slowly.

I follow DJs I like, then find tracks in their sets that I love, and then follow those artists and labels on Beatport. I check Beatport every week and load my cart until I have like 40 or 50 bucks worth, then buy the chunk. Keep doing this until you die.

By the way, if you're liking that kind of music, you'd do well to keep tabs on Boomkat and Juno as well as Beatport. Possibly moreso.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

28 Gun Bad Boy posted:

Heh, my local DJ store decided to stop selling records. It's now mostly DJ gear that's more expensive if you buy from them. Like, it's cheaper to go to Guitar Center which is further away from this DJ store.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

keevo posted:

Heh, my local DJ store decided to stop selling records. It's now mostly DJ gear that's more expensive if you buy from them. Like, it's cheaper to go to Guitar Center which is further away from this DJ store.

Guitar Centre has the buying power of a large chain on it's side I would assume. Rather than a single independent store. At least the one in my city stays active by having hardcore serato support while the generic music chain tends to have bits of both Traktor and Serato

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reichsten
Jan 13, 2010

Anae posted:

By the way, if you're liking that kind of music, you'd do well to keep tabs on Boomkat and Juno as well as Beatport. Possibly moreso.

I do check Juno, and also I check specific labels on Surus regularly. That's all for UK specific stuff though, most releases in the US get on Beatport