Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laser Cow
Feb 22, 2006

Just like real cows!

Only with lasers.
Went to a shop and tried out their OM-D, brought my summicron 50 and stuck it on with the adapter and found it super easy to focus with the electronic viewfinder, so that's cool. Was less impressed with the autofocus and my panasonic 20 1.7 but I expect I was doing something wrong. Either way I'll be buying an adapter soon. The camera, maybe in a few months if the price drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yeah hopefully they will introduce a successor of sorts and the price will drop later this year.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there a significant step up in sensor quality between NEX 5N and 5R? The prices that the 5N is commanding on eBay and Craigslist are only $75-100 less than what I can buy the 5R brand new for at a local brick and mortar shop (obviously taxes notwithstanding)

I gather the 5R has phase detection and contrast detection AF and better dynamic range?

I'm still mulling over in my head what I want to do, but since I have to save up a few bucks either way I'm just throwing ideas out there.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

From what I have read, the IQ of the 5N is actually better than the newer model.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
5r isn't worth it. Downgraded touchscreen, no improvement in sensor, PDAF doesn't really improve anything.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

hmm good to know.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

teraflame posted:

5r isn't worth it. Downgraded touchscreen, no improvement in sensor, PDAF doesn't really improve anything.

I have to politely disagree, the downgraded touchscreen was much more responsive than the sluggish and mostly better left disabled touchscreen of the 5n, and the rotary knob on top makes menu and feature access so much more easily accomplished. The latest firmware updates bring the PDAF to most of the other Sony glass, and there are mixed reports as to improvements in AF as a result. Also the Wi-Fi and apps may be appealing to some. It's a competent replacement for the 5n and I would say, based on a 3 day test drive, worth the $75-$100 more. That being said, if you're heading that way in price, scraping up a little more gets you into the NEX 6, and that is a hell of a camera.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I can buy a 6 body for 699 on sale right now. Brick and mortar. I should shop more online but I've got cash on hand and it's a pain to convert to bits when you try not to use a credit card.

I think maybe I'll go play with a 5R and 6 in store and then make up my mind later. Thanks guys.

e: Oh goddamn another well priced 5N just popped up. Sent seller an email. This better go through :mad:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Mar 10, 2013

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

If you do get a -6, you gain an ISO-compliant hotshot, which opens all sorts of doors.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Meeting that guy about his well priced 5N today so that probably ends my quest short of the -6 :q:

Now to get all excited before it probably falls apart :(

(or time to buy an M39 and M42 adapter)

Body-only sale, so what should I be checking to make sure this isn't a lemon short of shooting with a lens? I'm guessing I can fire the camera without a lens on it and get some kind of blurry mess to make sure the sensor actually works and is't just painted on right?

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Mar 10, 2013

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Martytoof posted:

Meeting that guy about his well priced 5N today so that probably ends my quest short of the -6 :q:

Now to get all excited before it probably falls apart :(

(or time to buy an M39 and M42 adapter)

Body-only sale, so what should I be checking to make sure this isn't a lemon short of shooting with a lens? I'm guessing I can fire the camera without a lens on it and get some kind of blurry mess to make sure the sensor actually works and is't just painted on right?

I can tell that you are all excited...it's a great feeling, isn't it?

It's photographic foreplay.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

spog posted:

I can tell that you are all excited...it's a great feeling, isn't it?

It's photographic foreplay.

Yeah. I've gone through this many times, but it never stops being fun.

From a technical standpoint, I don't really NEED this camera. My D200 and 24-70 2.8 are more camera than I will probably need for the foreseeable future. However they're both on Craigslist today because they're loving HUGE and a pain in the rear end to carry around.

It's funny how I went from NEED BIG WEATHERSEALED CAMERA TO LOOK AND FEEL LIKE A PRO to realizing that feeling like a pro is poo poo compared to being comfortable while taking photos. I'm not shooting the amazon rainforest, just walking around the streets of Toronto taking photos :q:

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...
Just be careful, NEX cameras are a gateway drug into the scary world of tinycamera disease. You're liable to wake up one morning in a room full of strange adaptors for various systems, all sorts of crazy old legacy lenses all around you and a burning desire to check sonyalpharumors.com, 43rumors.com, and mirrorlessrumors.com on an hourly basis- you know, "just in case".

On a serious note, good luck with your seller and I hope you are out enjoying your new purchase soon!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Thanks! I'll write my first opinions of the camera when I'm not on my phone, but I'm the proud owner of a spotless 5N. 340 CDN which was a pretty good price IMHO. Now to get both m43 and m39 adapters :twisted:

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
One thing about m39 adapters is that I found that the performance of Russian m39 lenses that worked so well on a Zorki or whatever don't work very well on a NEX. They are not very sharp, fringe like crazy, don't focus very close and don't have very good contrast. You'd be much better served getting a K-mount adapter and using Pentax lenses or whatever.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

at $12 apiece I'll get one just to try the M39 lenses. Definitely getting all the adapters I can though. Between M42, FD, F, and K, there are some pretty decent lenses that wil rock on a camera with focus peaking. No lies, I am so pumped up.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Congrats on finally getting one. Focus peaking is cool, but sometimes it just doesn't work in low light or low contrast scenes.

ease fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 10, 2013

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'm sort of expecting it to be hit or miss in extreme situations, but really I don't think it'll bother me too much. I'm coming from MF rangefinder which is near impossible to use in the dark anyway.

Also, the menu system on this thing was designed by someone who hates people. How did anyone think this menu system was a good idea? I guess they thought it was intuitive somehow, but even trying to shut down the part of my brain that knows about photography, I'm having trouble figuring out what the hell they were thinking when they wrote this.

e: Hooooly shiiiit this menu system is abhorrent :stare:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 11, 2013

Solo Bentley
Dec 4, 2006
talk done
You're in Toronto? If you want a free Nikon F adapter for your Nex send me a PM.

Yeah the menu is pretty backwards. I sold my 5n last year to fund a Canon 5D for a trip, but missed having a small camera with me at all times. After much Nex vs M43 debate, I just picked up a used Olympus E-PL3 with a 20mm 1.7 and like the menu wayyy more than the Nex. After using the Olympus, Sony really has no excuse for such a horrible menu system. I also really like having an affordable and pocketable standard prime. However, I miss not being able to use my awesome Minolta glass without a terrible crop penalty!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm in Hamilton, but I can head up to TO for sure.

I can't believe I was super snobby about mirrorless cameras. These are so much more comfortable than a DSLR. Man oh man :)

Polarize
Jul 12, 2007
The lights go on, the lights go off
Funny enough I went down the exact same path. Started with a beginner SLR, wanted more, and ended up with a 5D2 + 24-70mm. Not soon after, I realized that it was a loving pain in the rear end to bring anywhere, and sold it all for a 5N.

For me though, the honeymoon period ended pretty quickly. As small and convenient as the NEX cameras are, it was still just big enough that I couldn't put it in my pocket and had to devote a camera bag to it, which kind of defeated the purpose. While it was nice to be able to shoot stuff without drawing attention or intimidating my subjects, I could never get over how unintuitive the menus are.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#378.353,380.306,34.88,34.85,ha,t

And the final nail in the coffin was the sheer size of lenses. The great lenses were just so big that there really isn't that much difference compared to the newer fx bodies with a small prime on them. It didn't matter how thin or short the camera was as the overall footprint was still pretty dang large. All things said, I had a ton of fun playing around with different adapters and legacy glass. If you're looking for a screen protector for it, check out the GGS glass screen protectors. Make sure you get the newer generation with a little slot at the bottom for the light sensor on the display.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Don't bother protecting the screen. It is easily replaceable with glass when it inevitably gets lovely looking.

I don't know if saying the footprint is not much smaller is really all that fair. For example, with the sigma 30 2.8 it is jacket pocket pocketable, and that is a pretty high IQ option for something that fits in your jacket pocket. Also, saying that the footprint might be the same as a DSLR with a pancake is totally different kind of bulk.

Anyway, NEX-ism leads to X100 disease, so watch out! I am using my NEX a lot still, but when I just want to leave the house with a camera it has 100% been X100 (and even today when shooting a little baby and his parents for a planned shoot I used it half of the time).

And yes, gently caress the menus. I would love to meet the people who designed them and ask what they were thinking. Good news is that pretty much everything I use regularly is on custom keys, so I just go into the menu to format my card after putting it back in the camera and stay the gently caress out of there.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

What are people's thoughts on the RX1? I've heard nothing but superlatives from everywhere else on the internet, and I'm beginning to wonder if I should continue to invest in M43 or save my pennies for the eventual upgrade. (Right now I'm eyeing off the 75mm 1.8, which I know I could find a use for and would have resale value, but it's almost a third the cost of the RX1 by itself.)

What's the functional difference between M43 and full-frame? I understand FF is supposed to offer better low-light conditions; is this because the larger sensor is able to take in more light at once, effectively meaning an FF camera could take the same exposure with a faster shutter speed?

I guess I don't "need" the RX1 or full-frame at all, but I've got my reservations about how well my E-PM2 copes in low-light situations, and I'm planning to take a lot of low-light shots next month. Maybe I should rent and see how it goes?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

What are you taking pictures of?

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.

Baron Dirigible posted:

What's the functional difference between M43 and full-frame? I understand FF is supposed to offer better low-light conditions; is this because the larger sensor is able to take in more light at once, effectively meaning an FF camera could take the same exposure with a faster shutter speed?

Kinda.

The larger photosites mean that it can shoot at higher ISOs with lower noise - which will let you get away with shooting at 3200 or 6400, whereas those will (generally) look like rear end on a m43. So you can end up with a higher shutter speed, or an extra pop or two of aperture to get the DoF for that group shot.

Whether a FF will give much benefit over a modern m43/APS-C like the x100(s) is another matter. I shoot 3200 without a second thought on mine. Judging by what I can find on flickr, the rx1 looks great at 6400, average at 12800 and lovely above that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/vinchel/8300127901/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralfs-foto-bude/8438286920/lightbox/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ralfs-foto-bude/8437157129/in/photostream/lightbox/

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

DJExile posted:

What are you taking pictures of?
Right now, jack and poo poo. (Mostly whatever I come across that looks cool.)

That said, next month I'll be at a 24hr charity event, and while I won't be there in any official capacity, it would be a good opportunity to a) improve my skills and b) get some shots we can use for fundraising next year's event. So I think renting might be a good idea there.

I'll be honest, I have no real professional need for a $3k camera, but I've already spent almost half that on my M43 system and I don't want to feel trapped in a camera system if the low-light performance will mean I can't take some shots at all later on. It doesn't sound like that's the case, though...

joelcamefalling posted:

Whether a FF will give much benefit over a modern m43/APS-C like the x100(s) is another matter. I shoot 3200 without a second thought on mine. Judging by what I can find on flickr, the rx1 looks great at 6400, average at 12800 and lovely above that.
Thanks, I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on whether FF is really *that* much better than M43. I think the real problem is that I just casually browse sites like the RX1 files and come away lusting for an RX1, but spend all my time pixel-peeping on my M43's RAWs and inevitably come away disappointed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Full frame is pretty awesome but you're paying out the nose for just about everything. If you have a good m4/3 body like the OM-D or a recent PEN or Panasonic body, you'll have access to a huge market of very good lenses.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Not to mention the new m43 sensors have really good low light performance.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Baron Dirigible posted:

Thanks, I'm having a hard time finding a definitive answer on whether FF is really *that* much better than M43. I think the real problem is that I just casually browse sites like the RX1 files and come away lusting for an RX1, but spend all my time pixel-peeping on my M43's RAWs and inevitably come away disappointed.

I got into m4/3 with the E-P1 and I've owned probably 4 other m4/3 bodies since then. I also have an RX1. The RX1 is really *that* much better. I can get great images with both, but the RX1 seems to come out of the camera with a certain magical look that I really like. I think it depends on what you want out of a camera and what types of images do it for you. I don't regret buying the RX1 at all. I think what impressed me the most about it was when I shot models in a studio last month. The lighting was set up for using a strobe, but it wasn't too dim to shoot without. With the RX1, I could just set the auto ISO to cap at 6400 and shoot away. When I got into Lightroom to process them, I really couldn't tell the difference between the ISO 200 and ISO 3200 shots without looking at the exif or seriously pixel peeping. I never had to apply noise reduction or sharpening to any of them. Also the white/color balance is amazing. Is it worth $2800? Probably not to most people but I'm happy with it.

(Also street shooting at night at ISO 25600 in black and white is fun as hell and I like the results)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Polarize posted:

Funny enough I went down the exact same path. Started with a beginner SLR, wanted more, and ended up with a 5D2 + 24-70mm. Not soon after, I realized that it was a loving pain in the rear end to bring anywhere, and sold it all for a 5N.

For me though, the honeymoon period ended pretty quickly. As small and convenient as the NEX cameras are, it was still just big enough that I couldn't put it in my pocket and had to devote a camera bag to it, which kind of defeated the purpose. While it was nice to be able to shoot stuff without drawing attention or intimidating my subjects, I could never get over how unintuitive the menus are.

http://camerasize.com/compact/#378.353,380.306,34.88,34.85,ha,t

And the final nail in the coffin was the sheer size of lenses. The great lenses were just so big that there really isn't that much difference compared to the newer fx bodies with a small prime on them. It didn't matter how thin or short the camera was as the overall footprint was still pretty dang large. All things said, I had a ton of fun playing around with different adapters and legacy glass. If you're looking for a screen protector for it, check out the GGS glass screen protectors. Make sure you get the newer generation with a little slot at the bottom for the light sensor on the display.

I'd be lying if I said my buddy's X100 wasn't what got me interested in small mirrorless cameras. I held his X100 and all of a sudden my D200 felt like I was carrying around a large underhanded chaingun. I wasn't entirely thrilled with my D200's size at that point but that really was the final nail in the coffin. It was a "holy poo poo, cameras CAN be good AND light?!" moment. I progressed back to film and picked up a cheap Zorki 6 rangefinder that I absolutely LOVE. No two ways about it, I am in love with m Zorki, but I have a love/hate relationship with film. I love shooting it, I love developing it, but scanning it makes me mentally ill. I have a backlog of like 20 rolls that I have to do because I can't bring myself to sit there for a day and scan them all. This is where the NEX comes back into play. It's smaller than my Zorki, much more capable, and I can throw my Zorki lenses on it with a minimum of effort. I say Zorki lenses because for the time being that's all I have AND they're pretty compact. I plan to expand my lens collection and I'm definitely not against getting an E-mount Sigma prime or anything.

I've been through so many Camera brands in my time with photography. I started on a Canon XT, moved to a Pentax K10D, then picked up a few Pentax MEs, then went to a Nikon D200, then to a Zorki 6. I'm a little worried that the NEX is just a passing stop on my way to another brand, and that really isn't the worst thing in the world, but I think at this point I know that unless I get into studio photography or something, I'm pretty much done with DSLRs and on the mirrorless train for good.

As for pocketability.. Yeah, I don't think the NEX itself is going to be supremely pocketable unless I put a collapsable lens on it or something, but at the same time I'm okay with that. The killing blow for the D200 wasn't that it was too big to pocket, it was that it weighed like 4 kilos with the lens and grip. Even without the grip it was a heavy combo, and while yes -- I could put a small, light prime on that and carry it around, it was still weighty. I can let the NEX hang off my wrist on a wrist strap and I'm 100% fine with that. I don't really need to pocket it, as nice as that would be.

I sort of DO want to protect the screen because it's got that awesome no-glare coating or glass or whatever that lets me see the screen even in direct sunlight. If I replace the plastic cover after it eventually goes to poo poo, is that anti-glare treatment on the glass screen itself or on the plastic sticker that's covering it, or what?

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Get a screen protector at least. The screen WILL wear and it will be fugly by the time you decide to replace it.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I've been researching cameras hoping to get back into photography after a decade or so, and man it's overwhelming. It's like looking for a car. One day I'm set on the Fuji x100s, then the X-Pro 1, then the X-E1, then I decide maybe photography isn't for me, then I look into the NEX series, then back to the X series again.

Right now I think I'm trying to decide between the XE-1 and the X100s.
This is going to be my only camera, so I'm weighing the versatility of the X-E1 against the updated sensor and AF, and the OVF, of the x100s.

Anyone have any thoughts at which would be better for a beginner? Or if I should be looking into something else all together? I guess I'm better off waiting to see if Fuji updates the firmware of the X-E1 improves the AF and MF that dramatically.

Things I like about the X series are:
More external controls
Their viewfinders (both styles)
Aesthetics

My budget is around the 1500$ mark.

I know this isn't the gear thread but this thread but this seems like a good place to ask too.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Pegnose Pete posted:

I've been researching cameras hoping to get back into photography after a decade or so, and man it's overwhelming. It's like looking for a car. One day I'm set on the Fuji x100s, then the X-Pro 1, then the X-E1, then I decide maybe photography isn't for me, then I look into the NEX series, then back to the X series again.

The good news is that all that stops once you buy a camera.

Nah, just kidding.

krooj
Dec 2, 2006

Pegnose Pete posted:

Right now I think I'm trying to decide between the XE-1 and the X100s.
This is going to be my only camera, so I'm weighing the versatility of the X-E1 against the updated sensor and AF, and the OVF, of the x100s.

Anyone have any thoughts at which would be better for a beginner? Or if I should be looking into something else all together? I guess I'm better off waiting to see if Fuji updates the firmware of the X-E1 improves the AF and MF that dramatically.

Things I like about the X series are:
More external controls
Their viewfinders (both styles)
Aesthetics

My budget is around the 1500$ mark.

I know this isn't the gear thread but this thread but this seems like a good place to ask too.

What do you want to take photos of? I have an X-E1 with the kit zoom, and I will say that lens does give the camera an extended profile. If you're okay with shooting at 50mm eff. having a shop pair the X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4 might be the ticket. Alternatively, if you have no idea what you'd be missing without interchangeable lenses or never intend on investing in more glass, the X100s is a great choice. It has a 35mm eff. FOV which is considered standard for most street shooting, and a generally good all-round focal length. Another nice thing about the X100s is that they're really popular, so if you change your mind and decide the X-E1 was really what you wanted, the financial loss will be minimal.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

The good news is that all that stops once you buy a camera.

Nah, just kidding.

my_financial_ruin.txt

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

In a sense I think I was a much happier photographer before I started reading everything on the internet.

*look at a photo I just took with a P&S camera* : wow that was fun, I'm glad I got this photo!

*look at a photo I just took with a D200 and 24-70 f/2.8 that I sperged over for a year* : Wow the highlights are blown out and the dynamic range of this camera is poo poo. I don't think I picked the right weighting AE mode. Look at this fringing here, jesus. This would have looked a little better if I had followed rule of thirds. Man, I bet this would look so much better if I shot it full frame. Let's go check prices on a D700.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I love street photography and portraits, but I'm pretty shy right now when it comes to taking shots of random people on the street but I hope to get over that.
The 35mm on the x100s would probably be great for me. I'm also planning to apply to teach in Japan next year though so I'm thinking that maybe the interchangeable lenses of the X-E1 will be good if I want to do landscapes or architecture shots.
But for some reason the X100s is so sexy to me, even though the size is about the same. The faster AF and MF are drawing me to it.

Guh.

Also, Martyoof I saw you post in this thread or a different one that you are from Hamilton. I'm from Burlington. Sup. :)
How are you liking your new 5n?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sup! I'm liking it as much as you can like a camera with no lens :haw:

Hope to fix that real soon though. I'll be able to report back after that.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

krooj posted:

If you're okay with shooting at 50mm eff. having a shop pair the X-E1 with the 35mm 1.4 might be the ticket.

The 35mm 1.4 isn't much smaller than the 18-55. Its not saying its a big lens, neither is the zoom (even compared to something like a Tamron 17-50). If you want more compact i think Fuji is releasing a pancake later this year.

If you're unsure what you're shooting I'd grab the XE1 kit. The 35 is lovely but primes are a bit of an enthusiast approach first up, tho it could teach you some good habits too.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Pegnose Pete posted:

X-E1 vs X100s

I wrestled with the same things. I was sick of my huge T2i + 17-40L and wanted something small. Got an X100. The size was perfect but 35mm equivalent can be really frustrating. I had to pano stitch some landscape shots, and missed some amazing harvest moon and wildlife shots in the Badlands that were the final straws.

The focusing on the X-E1 seems much better than the X100, to the point where I don't even really care about the phase AF. Manual focusing with the zoom was easy enough, so focus peaking wasn't a big deal either. I don't miss the optical viewfinder at all, and the improved EVF over the X-Pro-1 is pretty nice. The Q menu is something the X100 sorely lacked, although the X100s has it.

In the end, The X-E1 is just slightly larger, doesn't have the phase AF or focus peaking, and doesn't have the OVF. What it came down to for me was whether those features were more important than having the ability to change lenses or use a zoom. As much as you try to shoot portraits, landscapes, wildlife and other things at 35mm equiv. you will will end up frustrated with the limiting of your options because you can't ever completely make up for it by "zooming with your feet". Only get the X100s as your primary camera if you're 100% OK with being locked into that focal length - otherwise you'll regret it at some point if you're like me.

The thing that sold me on the X-E1 vs a Sony was the lenses available. The "kit" 18-55 is pretty awesome. My friend's 35mm f1.4 and 18mm f2 are amazing. An expensive 14mm f2.8 is out now/soon. There's an IS 10-24 on the way. It was really depressing looking at some of the M4/3 and Sony lenses and they just didn't really seem to have any fast, sharp primes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
That's some good food for thought.
The 35mm focal length would probably be fine for 80% of the stuff I intend to shoot, but yeah spending 20% of my time potentially frustrated doesn't sound too good...

One of the big Canadian dealers offers the X-E1 bundled with a few different options, with the 35mm f1.4, OR the 18mm f2.0, for 1299.99. That's the same price that the X100s will be launching at.

Or I could go for a bundle with the 18-55 kit, but I'm attracted to shooting with primes.

I could wait a few months and see what new primes they release, as a pancake would cut down on bulk a bit.