Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Owlkill posted:

I picked up The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton when it was on sale for 99p recently. I'd heard good things about it, and I enjoyed Manhattan in Reverse, a short story collection of his, but I'm just not feeling it with this one.

I'm about 17% of the way through (reading on Kindle) but I'm pretty close to giving up. The book's something like 1200 pages long and so far I don't think there's been a character I've really liked or felt any interest in, and there doesn't really seem to be much of anything approaching a plot yet. His whole attitude to sex is pretty cringe-inducing too, like something out of a 14-year-old boy's imagination. Also, he has an obsession with describing people as 'oriental', which makes him sound like a Victorian racist.

I like the whole 'bitek' technology thing, and the descriptions of the process of establishing a colony on another planet, but that's not enough to carry the weak cast of characters so far. It feels like he's put a lot of effort into thinking up a whole backdrop for the story to take place against but that doesn't come across very well so far.

Is it worth sticking with? Or if I'm not enjoying it now am I unlikely to enjoy the rest of it? I went on a major Iain M. Banks binge last year, and was really feeling in the mood for some more space opera from a different author, and having enjoyed the stories in Manhattan in Reverse was quite looking forward to reading more of Hamilton's stuff. I gather this is one of his earlier books so maybe he's just improved with age.

I'd give up now. I had similar feelings as you, like there were a few interesting parts and hopefully Hamilton would veer towards them and away from the dumb stuff. That never happens. I don't remember how much has happened by the point you've reached, but you'll end up reading about (not super spoilery, but just to be safe) almost-literal Satan, fully-literal Al Capone, and hippies driving around in a van. Oh and as I guess is routine for Hamilton, the ending of the trilogy is the dumbest thing. I read all three books just because of inertia and having "invested" so much time in the first 1000+ page book, but you're really not missing much by skipping the books.

I'll even tell you the ending so you really won't have missed anything (THIS IS THE ENDING OF THE TRILOGY): everything is magically fixed by god (a black hole). Now you know how all that occasionally interesting conflict gets resolved: in the least interesting way possible!

Edit: Since you mentioned liking Iain M. Banks, Hamilton, at least in the Night's Dawn Trilogy, is pretty dissimilar to Banks' style. He has random, "wacky" stuff happen for no apparent reason. Maybe he didn't really know what kind of book he wanted to write yet? If you want something more full on space opera and similar at least in tone to Banks, I'd try the "Revelation Space" books or "House of Suns" by Alastair Reynolds. Also, I just finished "The Quantum Thief" and "The Fractal Prince" by Hannu Rajaniemi, and while they're a little different, there's a lot of technology, AIs, and conflict in the solar system.

sourdough fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

RVProfootballer posted:

I'd give up now. I had similar feelings as you, like there were a few interesting parts and hopefully Hamilton would veer towards them and away from the dumb stuff. That never happens. I don't remember how much has happened by the point you've reached, but you'll end up reading about (not super spoilery, but just to be safe) almost-literal Satan, fully-literal Al Capone, and hippies driving around in a van. Oh and as I guess is routine for Hamilton, the ending of the trilogy is the dumbest thing. I read all three books just because of inertia and having "invested" so much time in the first 1000+ page book, but you're really not missing much by skipping the books.

I'll even tell you the ending so you really won't have missed anything (THIS IS THE ENDING OF THE TRILOGY): everything is magically fixed by god (a black hole). Now you know how all that occasionally interesting conflict gets resolved: in the least interesting way possible!

Edit: Since you mentioned liking Iain M. Banks, Hamilton, at least in the Night's Dawn Trilogy, is pretty dissimilar to Banks' style. He has random, "wacky" stuff happen for no apparent reason. Maybe he didn't really know what kind of book he wanted to write yet? If you want something more full on space opera and similar at least in tone to Banks, I'd try the "Revelation Space" books or "House of Suns" by Alastair Reynolds. Also, I just finished "The Quantum Thief" and "The Fractal Prince" by Hannu Rajaniemi, and while they're a little different, there's a lot of technology, AIs, and conflict in the solar system.

Ah, I reckon I'll give up now then. That doesn't sound up my street at all. Especially not for three doorstop-sized books. But thanks for the Reynolds and Rajaniemi recommendations - I'll give those a try. Been meaning to read some Reynolds for a while now,

devnulll
Jun 17, 2012

I'd hit that.

Owlkill posted:

I picked up The Reality Dysfunction by Peter F Hamilton when it was on sale for 99p recently. I'd heard good things about it, and I enjoyed Manhattan in Reverse, a short story collection of his, but I'm just not feeling it with this one.

I'm about 17% of the way through (reading on Kindle) but I'm pretty close to giving up. The book's something like 1200 pages long and so far I don't think there's been a character I've really liked or felt any interest in, and there doesn't really seem to be much of anything approaching a plot yet. His whole attitude to sex is pretty cringe-inducing too, like something out of a 14-year-old boy's imagination. Also, he has an obsession with describing people as 'oriental', which makes him sound like a Victorian racist.

I like the whole 'bitek' technology thing, and the descriptions of the process of establishing a colony on another planet, but that's not enough to carry the weak cast of characters so far. It feels like he's put a lot of effort into thinking up a whole backdrop for the story to take place against but that doesn't come across very well so far.

Is it worth sticking with? Or if I'm not enjoying it now am I unlikely to enjoy the rest of it? I went on a major Iain M. Banks binge last year, and was really feeling in the mood for some more space opera from a different author, and having enjoyed the stories in Manhattan in Reverse was quite looking forward to reading more of Hamilton's stuff. I gather this is one of his earlier books so maybe he's just improved with age.

I really enjoyed it. Have recommended it a few times with no bad feedback (yet).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

General Battuta posted:

This is definitely self published. I always feel like that should be flagged.

I'm pretty upset that because I bought a few (mostly excellent!) self published books my Amazon recommendations page is completely ruined by a torrent of the worst self published poo poo imaginable.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Except that the book really starts up after awhile in the book and is actually a good read.
The first book is interesting in how a virus would propagate itself through space.
Also, you just happened to mention the most gimmicky things in the series. It's not like Hamilton have more stupid endings than other authors in the field.
The Revelation Space series by Reynolds have a relatively weak ending as well.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Cardiac posted:

Except that the book really starts up after awhile in the book and is actually a good read.
The first book is interesting in how a virus would propagate itself through space.
Also, you just happened to mention the most gimmicky things in the series. It's not like Hamilton have more stupid endings than other authors in the field.
The Revelation Space series by Reynolds have a relatively weak ending as well.

Right, there are somewhat interesting ideas that get lost in Hamilton's "gimmicky things." The person asking for a recommendation already said he wasn't really liking it, which mirrors my experience pretty well, and I regret sinking so much time into the trilogy. If you want a serious or mature storyline, interrupting the main story to follow Al Capone and some space hippies really kills it.

As for the ending, no, that ending is pretty much the worst I've read in awhile. You don't think having all the conflict and efforts by the characters rendered moot by a literal act of god is a really bad ending? Why did I even read about the various people trying to fix things? What was the point? I don't know whether Hamilton's other endings are that bad, but that seems to be a common reservation about him when his books are brought up.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Throwing in also that I stopped reading after about 200-300 pages in. I think I also stopped right after Al Capone appeared.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Fallom posted:

I'm pretty upset that because I bought a few (mostly excellent!) self published books my Amazon recommendations page is completely ruined by a torrent of the worst self published poo poo imaginable.

On the Amazon recommendations, if you look at the list of items, at the bottom of each you should see something along the lines of "Recommended because you purchased X Book (Fix this)"

If you click the "Fix this" link, you get a popup with the books it's using, and you can check "Don't use this for recommendations".

This is very handy if you frequently buy books as gifts, or found one good self-published book out of a pile of cruddy ones.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

Right, there are somewhat interesting ideas that get lost in Hamilton's "gimmicky things." The person asking for a recommendation already said he wasn't really liking it, which mirrors my experience pretty well, and I regret sinking so much time into the trilogy. If you want a serious or mature storyline, interrupting the main story to follow Al Capone and some space hippies really kills it.

As for the ending, no, that ending is pretty much the worst I've read in awhile. You don't think having all the conflict and efforts by the characters rendered moot by a literal act of god is a really bad ending? Why did I even read about the various people trying to fix things? What was the point? I don't know whether Hamilton's other endings are that bad, but that seems to be a common reservation about him when his books are brought up.

Well, for the Reality Dysfunction, it is admittedly a slow start but it speeds up after awhile. I still think it is a good book and series and I've read a lot more scifi which is worse (incidentally some of it is by Hamilton).

As for the Deus Ex Machina which is the end of the series, it is bad, but other series and authors are equally bad in writing a good ending for a long and convoluted storyline.

To put it like this, which scifi serie which spans over several books have a good ending?
Revelation space is bad in that regard, Asher (one of my favourite authors) ain't particularly good either on that.
I understand if people get irritated about some details, but given that the series is 3x1000 pages, what you mention is not the major part of the books instead it is space zombies

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Just put it down. Hamilton is Hamilton. He's kind of polarizing, and the awkward teenager sex is among the most common complaint. His format stays fairly constant; Every book of his has separate stories that intertwine about halfway in.

You're on his weakest trilogy, though. If you like his style, read Fallen Dragon, Pandora's Star or the Greg Mandel stuff instead. Fallen Dragon is probably my favorite of his, mostly because it tells a tidy, self-contained story as opposed to the sprawling, half-book buildup of The Reality Disfunction.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Bhodi posted:

Just put it down. Hamilton is Hamilton. He's kind of polarizing, and the awkward teenager sex is among the most common complaint. His format stays fairly constant; Every book of his has separate stories that intertwine about halfway in.

You're on his weakest trilogy, though. If you like his style, read Fallen Dragon, Pandora's Star or the Greg Mandel stuff instead. Fallen Dragon is probably my favorite of his, mostly because it tells a tidy, self-contained story as opposed to the sprawling, half-book buildup of The Reality Disfunction.

Don't know if I would call Fallen Dragon a tidy story considering the end of the book.
As for Pandora's star, it is definitely worse than Reality Dysfunction (unless you like space elves and space trees that is). The Void Trilogy is even worse.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hamilton desperately needs help with plotting and characterization, but his command of the set-piece action sequence and fantastic alien landscape is second to none. He's also the most divisive author publishing today, but I'll still keep eagerly reading his stuff as fast as he can finish a series (he's also fantastic with cliffhangers, and I'm not suffering through a trilogy's worth again).

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I was ok with the ending to The Great North Road. I think he should really just stick to single novels rather than epic series, although I understand the temptation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Owlkill posted:

I read the first two with steadily decreasing enjoyment, and never bothered tracking down the third. The widescreen baroque space opera stuff (that first space battle, the marines in the forest) is great, but the juvenile sex obsession and the autistic repetition of phrases like 'neural nanonics' becomes teeth-grinding.

Also? Al Capone.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

sebmojo posted:

the autistic repetition of phrases like 'neural nanonics' becomes teeth-grinding.
It's loving terrible, isn't it? I mean I could probably overlook the literal deus ex machina ending, but that constant spouting of "neural nanonics" pissed me off immensely. Hamilton needs the text-macro feature of his word processor disabled permanently.

I actually liked the later commonwealth books, though. At least if you skip the hippy adventures in fairyland sections.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
The Night's Dawn Trilogy was...interesting, to put it best. If it were a quarter the length and didn't try to do so much, it would be a lot better. As it stands, it's basically a series of events happening that a bunch of (sometimes interesting) characters react to. The only reason it has the ending it has is to actually have an ending as opposed to just concluding abruptly. It's good if you're looking to just kill a bunch of time reading about stuff happening and seeing people's reactions to it. If you're looking for some actual excitement and plot, look elsewhere.

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
It's ages since I read that trilogy, but didn't it have a part where he mentions how organised religion was affected by knowing for certain there's life after death?

The way I remember it was him going on about how interesting it was, then refusing to tell us about it.

Also, those bitek people were insufferably smug. The first two Commonwealth books were much better, but yeah I skip over the bits with the trees.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

mllaneza posted:

Hamilton desperately needs help with plotting and characterization, but his command of the set-piece action sequence and fantastic alien landscape is second to none. He's also the most divisive author publishing today, but I'll still keep eagerly reading his stuff as fast as he can finish a series (he's also fantastic with cliffhangers, and I'm not suffering through a trilogy's worth again).
I'm personally a big fan of his "post-human space marine slogging through alien jungle" sequences. I can't get enough of weird-rear end cyborg mercenaries who've replaced essentially their entire bodies.

NastyPBears posted:

It's ages since I read that trilogy, but didn't it have a part where he mentions how organised religion was affected by knowing for certain there's life after death?
That's kind of the entire premise of the series, the "crisis event" which every alien species eventually reaches, where they find out the truth about the afterlife. It's mostly just alluded to how some of the aliens dealt with it, but there really wasn't much need to visit it any deeper imho.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

coyo7e posted:

I'm personally a big fan of his "post-human space marine slogging through alien jungle" sequences. I can't get enough of weird-rear end cyborg mercenaries who've replaced essentially their entire bodies.

Replace "alien jungle" with "alien tower of death and mathematics" and this is Diamond Dogs by Alastair Reynolds. A great, horrific novella.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hedrigall posted:

Replace "alien jungle" with "alien tower of death and mathematics" and this is Diamond Dogs by Alastair Reynolds. A great, horrific novella.
Bought Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days for Kindle sight-unseen on this recommend. So thanks or gently caress you, it's still in the state of being both at once - at least until I open the book. ;)

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

coyo7e posted:

That's kind of the entire premise of the series, the "crisis event" which every alien species eventually reaches, where they find out the truth about the afterlife. It's mostly just alluded to how some of the aliens dealt with it, but there really wasn't much need to visit it any deeper imho.

If Hamilton just could devote himself to writing only that kinda fiction I think we would all love him.
Oh and GW should recruit Hamilton for writing Space Marine novels cause Space Marines don't have sex with teenagers

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

coyo7e posted:

Bought Diamond Dogs/Turquoise Days for Kindle sight-unseen on this recommend. So thanks or gently caress you, it's still in the state of being both at once - at least until I open the book. ;)

I recommend it also. "Turquoise Days" isn't as good, but it's pretty decent. If you're already a fan of Reynold's Revelation Space universe, it's good for expanding on some of that universe's backstory details.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Cardiac posted:

If Hamilton just could devote himself to writing only that kinda fiction I think we would all love him.
Oh and GW should recruit Hamilton for writing Space Marine novels cause Space Marines don't have sex with teenagers
Isn't that because they're all like 15 feet tall, though? :aaa:

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

coyo7e posted:

Isn't that because they're all like 15 feet tall, though? :aaa:

I thought it was because they didn't have penises

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009

coyo7e posted:

Wait what that sounds awesome. Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point, and just skip the adolescent sex scenes (presuming they don't add anything important story-wise).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Owlkill posted:

Wait what that sounds awesome. Maybe I'll give it another shot at some point, and just skip the adolescent sex scenes (presuming they don't add anything important story-wise).
Fallen Dragon is good for this, it has a bunch of flashback scenes where the protagonist is in a "skinsuit" (which is way less porn-y than it sounds).

The first two books of Neutronium Alchemist/etc have lots of marines after the initial colony stuff happens and things begin to go south, as well.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
In my continuing effort to find a lightweight space action oriented book, I recently read (mostly skimmed) the first two books of the Annihilation series by Saxon Andrew. Long story short, avoid at all costs. If you have anything against self-published books then this series will confirm all your hated for them 10 times over, and if you don't have anything against self-published books then you will afterwards. Generally I can handle self-published quirks as long as I dig through and find enough reasonable user reviews on Goodreads or Amazon, but that process failed me on this trip.

Does it have SCIENCE(tm) introduced through akward and ridiculous conversations or introspective moments just before an action scene? Check.

Is humanity mystically enlightened and transcendent of worldly problems of the past despite actual evidence in the books themselves? Check.

Does it have cheesey love at first sight romance? Check.

Does it have a 17 year old kid with amazing super powers who goes on to become the ruler of Earth halfway through the first book because the ruling party is elected by having super powers and he's got more super powers than anyone else? Oh yeah.

Is there a readily apparent, and active, effort to acually avoid logical consistency or having any part of the story make sense? Definitely.

I wasn't even sure you could write a original story this bad, let alone still charge people for it (thankfully it was free through Prime).

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Perhaps read a few more book descriptions next time? :) I looked at http://www.annihilationseries.com/book-04.php and drat that stuff is cringe-worthy.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Does any one know where I can find a good summary of what's happened in the first two books of the Expanse series? I read the first two about a year ago and Abbadon's Gate just came out this week.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Take the crew and ship of Firefly. Then throw them into this plot.

Some EvilMegaCorp finds a SuperMolecule from OutsideSpace that does SpaceMagic. SuperMolecule is released onto an asteroid colony and turns into a SpaceMonster. SpaceMonster crashes on Venus and becomes a Megaship of some kind. The last bit of Caliban's War has the Megaship rising out of the atmosphere of Venus. [dramatic music]

It is anything but original, but it is a decent time killer.

Collateral fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jun 7, 2013

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer
This book is FREE on Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARPEJC8/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title. I downloaded it because, well, it was free so I couldn't lose much. It turned out to be very good and I subsequently bought the second book.

Being brand new to this (impressive) forum, I don't know exactly how to creatre quote boxes and this borrowed summary makes the book sound like less than it really is.

quote:

Conquered by the Jao twenty years ago, the Earth is shackled under alien tyranny—and threatened by the even more dangerous Ekhat, who are sending a genocidal extermination fleet to the solar system. Humanity's only chance rests with an unusual pair of allies: a young Jao prince, newly arrived to Terra to assume his duties, and a young human woman brought up amongst the Jao occupiers.

I see that Neal Asdher, particularly the Spatterjay serties was suggested many pages ago. I consider the first book, http://www.amazon.com/The-Skinner-ebook/dp/B0058U6YJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370645403&sr=1-1&keywords=the+skinner as an all time favorite of mine.

I'll get better at this over time (rolls eyes self-deprecatingly)

See, I did figure out the quote thingy.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Cardiac posted:

I thought it was because they didn't have penises

Hamilton would write about Slaanesh Space Marines.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

specklebang posted:

This book is FREE on Kindle. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ARPEJC8/ref=kinw_myk_ro_title. I downloaded it because, well, it was free so I couldn't lose much. It turned out to be very good and I subsequently bought the second book.

Being brand new to this (impressive) forum, I don't know exactly how to creatre quote boxes and this borrowed summary makes the book sound like less than it really is.

I see that Neal Asdher, particularly the Spatterjay serties was suggested many pages ago. I consider the first book, http://www.amazon.com/The-Skinner-ebook/dp/B0058U6YJI/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1370645403&sr=1-1&keywords=the+skinner as an all time favorite of mine.

I'll get better at this over time (rolls eyes self-deprecatingly)

See, I did figure out the quote thingy.

Eric Flint (the author) is a socialist and big proponent of the idea that since people are probably gonna steal your stuff anyway just accept it and move on. As a result he's put quite a few of his books especially the earlier ones out there for free. After all he reckons it builds a lot of goodwill and according to him sales of his books had nearly doubled since he started doing it simply due to word of mouth (well that and being a sneaky bastard and only giving away the first couple of books in his series for free to get people hooked). He has a lot of books available for free download here. I really like his Alt-History stuff even though he does get a little preachy at times, but if you want more sci-fi from him I recommend Mother of Demons by him as a good stand alone read.

specklebang
Jun 7, 2013

Discount Philosopher and Cat Whisperer
Thanks for the link.

I have read a lot of this thread and I haven't seen Gary Gibson. His Shoal; series was very good Space Opera and his Final Days is solid apocalyptic writing.

First book of The Shoal http://www.amazon.com/Stealing-Light-ebook/dp/B003GK21C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370723507&sr=8-1&keywords=gary+gibson

First book of Final Days http://www.amazon.com/Final-Days-ebook/dp/B005BOHZ76/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370723507&sr=8-2&keywords=gary+gibson

He sort of reminds me of Neal Asher.

Ferrosol posted:

Eric Flint (the author) is a socialist and big proponent of the idea that since people are probably gonna steal your stuff anyway just accept it and move on. As a result he's put quite a few of his books especially the earlier ones out there for free. After all he reckons it builds a lot of goodwill and according to him sales of his books had nearly doubled since he started doing it simply due to word of mouth (well that and being a sneaky bastard and only giving away the first couple of books in his series for free to get people hooked). He has a lot of books available for free download here. I really like his Alt-History stuff even though he does get a little preachy at times, but if you want more sci-fi from him I recommend Mother of Demons by him as a good stand alone read.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
You can hit 'quote' on a post and then type below the block of quoted text to reply to it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ferrosol posted:

Here's the intro for the free library he wrote:
http://www.baen.com/library/intro.asp

And sure, usually it's just the first few in a series. Then again, when a series gets big you have the phenomenon where book 3 comes out in hardcover and gets display space in bookstores, but then the first two volumes aren't in stock. Boom, potential new reader goes away without buying your book. With the first few in a series free the reader has an increased supply of new series to read. It's a good tradeoff. These days Baen is putting CDs into books, so impulse purchasers of, say, the new Honor Harrington hardback have the whole drat series right there on disc ready to go onto a reader. Sadly, the recent Kindle deal has the free library cut down to a sad fraction of its former glory.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Iain Banks just passed away. :(

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Steakandchips posted:

Iain Banks just passed away. :(

Nooooooooo god dammit.

Never.More
Jun 2, 2013

"When I tell any truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do."

mllaneza posted:

Here's the intro for the free library he wrote:
http://www.baen.com/library/intro.asp

And sure, usually it's just the first few in a series. Then again, when a series gets big you have the phenomenon where book 3 comes out in hardcover and gets display space in bookstores, but then the first two volumes aren't in stock. Boom, potential new reader goes away without buying your book. With the first few in a series free the reader has an increased supply of new series to read. It's a good tradeoff. These days Baen is putting CDs into books, so impulse purchasers of, say, the new Honor Harrington hardback have the whole drat series right there on disc ready to go onto a reader. Sadly, the recent Kindle deal has the free library cut down to a sad fraction of its former glory.

It is an excellent idea. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up with the kindle deal. In other words I can understand Kindle saying no, we want to sell your stuff now. However as the deal continues, hopefully kindle reaches a point they will accept the free route for the older books to drum up interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Never.More posted:

It is an excellent idea. It will be interesting to see if they can keep it up with the kindle deal. In other words I can understand Kindle saying no, we want to sell your stuff now. However as the deal continues, hopefully kindle reaches a point they will accept the free route for the older books to drum up interest.

Kindle does free books all the time. I think the terms though are basically that Amazon will sell the books at least at the cheapest price they are available online. So any book they have on their site for free will be free on Amazon as well.

• Locked thread