Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Gonz posted:

Gacy House is ridiculous.

A guy gets his pants pulled down by a ghost, and it is alleged that he is sexually assaulted.

By a GHOST JOHN WAYNE GACY.

SOLD!

Does it at all get close to Evidence levels of ridiculousness?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EgillSkallagrimsson
May 6, 2007

Skywalker OG posted:

Does it at all get close to Evidence levels of ridiculousness?

Nothing gets close to Evidence levels of ridiculousness.:colbert:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

So is "The Apparition" as bad as the reviews or is it another case of critics not getting horror?

It's really pretty god damned awful.

What's his name, the kid with the giant head who played the blond rear end in a top hat in harry potter is in it though.

The only things I took away from the movie were 1: the lead girl looks a lot like she could play Christopher Reeve's daughter in a Superman movie, cause she looks a crazy amount like him, and 2: the movie was horrible.

There's like, 1 scene where you go "Whoa", but that's it.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I watched the trailer when it popped up on the iTunes new release movie list and suspect I saw all the "good" bits then. Alrighty, that's good to know..

I kinda groaned when the found footage of the security camera (it was moving!) came along. They just can't resist doing that poo poo anymore!

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

I just watched Alien Abduction which was posted here a page ago, and was wondering how the UPN version ended.

The long version was pretty good, but not definitely not Ghostwatch.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Skywalker OG posted:

and was wondering how the UPN version ended.

The son goes into a bathroom and delivers a Real World-style testimonial about everything that had happened that night, and then walks through the house, looking for his family. All of them are gone. He walks upstairs to his bedroom, goes in, and when he turns around, the door is closed and there's an alien grey standing there in the shadows. He audibly gasps, and then his camera starts making GBS threads out. He just stands there, unable to move, and the alien grabs the camera out of his hands. Fade to static.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
See, that's how you end a loving horror movie.

The 'director's cut' is very differently edited, and that scene happens about halfway in.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
What does UPN refer to?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

huh posted:

What does UPN refer to?

United Paramount Network

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

I just went round two with Resolution. It's, like, a horror-ish riff on The Big Lebowski, but with a really touching friendship at its core.

A couple things I loved the second time around:

1. Chris and Michael do nothing to advance the plot. The tribal security guys kill the two drug dealers before they, in turn, are killed in the ammo cookoff. They are entirely reactive characters, forewarned of their fates by some narrative rift.

2. I am now certain there is nothing in Resolution that indicates what finally kills them. They die simply because they must if we're to call it a horror film.

Goddamn, what a movie.

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.

Slasherfan posted:

Trailer for Full Moons new movie Ooga Booga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppY5TiYew4A

Other than the neat shout out by having Karen Black in this (as she was in the Zuni Fetish Warrior Doll segment of Trilogy of Terror), this looks just plain bad.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

See, that's how you end a loving horror movie.

The 'director's cut' is very differently edited, and that scene happens about halfway in.

Is all the footage from the original cut intact in the UPN cut?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

penismightier posted:

Is all the footage from the original cut intact in the UPN cut?

No, it is both 30 minutes shorter and has some substantial re-arrangement (like that much better ending).

UPN basically cut out all the 'writerly' bits - deemphasizing the one-word typical characters by removing most of their dialogue. (In the director's cut, you have The Drunk, The Racist, and etc. In the UPN cut, you just have frightened people.) It's reduced to 'just' the aesthetics of someone trying to film the unfilmable .

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010
*edit* nvm

Orunitier fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Mar 11, 2013

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

No, it is both 30 minutes shorter and has some substantial re-arrangement (like that much better ending).

UPN basically cut out all the 'writerly' bits - deemphasizing the one-word typical characters by removing most of their dialogue. (In the director's cut, you have The Drunk, The Racist, and etc. In the UPN cut, you just have frightened people.) It's reduced to 'just' the aesthetics of someone trying to film the unfilmable .

Ever since Peter Jackson's King Kong I've wondered why studios don't sell abridged movies, the way publishers used to sell abridged books. But now I'm thinking you could make a pretty good TV anthology series where you take average-to-bad movies and cut them down to 52 minutes. Maybe the editors become the star, like mash-up DJs. Call it Masters of Editing.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I want a 2 hour movie by Jackson of just the giant bugs in king kong eating people.

Oh god no I don't want that :byodood:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Last Exorcism II chat:

The part where she pops the restraint and takes the demon's hand is SO GOOD. That is all.

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

I just finished the UPN cut and holy poo poo is it good. The aggressively X-Files styled production is weirdly gorgeous, as is the synth soundtrack (possibly made by the composer for the X-Files, certainly sounds similar enough). In contrast to the director's cut almost all footage of the aliens themselves is excised and replaced with awkward cuts and static, adding a transparent veil of "mystery" to scenes that felt like outtakes from the set of Communion in the DC.

My favorite part has to be the insanely obvious ADR adding mild narration to scenes that lacked context. The whole thing is an exercise in pushing the boundaries ofwhat bullshit you can call "fact," in that it's a completely gutted (in a good way!) recut of falsified footage intercut with out-of-context talking-head "experts" delivering canned theories on greys. The most poignant bit comes near the beginning, when discussing the verisimilitude of the footage: a title card reading "HOAX THEORY," followed by people skirting around calling bullshit, followed by the title card "REAL THEORY."

It stands in stark contrast to Ghostwatch, coming a half-decade later on the heels of a huge resurgence in abduction fiction. Whereas GHostwatch is subdued and unsure of itself, often stagey, UPN Alien Abduction is aggressive and swift, packed with manufactured tension and certainty. A+ would watch again.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Last Exorcism II chat:

The part where she pops the restraint and takes the demon's hand is SO GOOD. That is all.

That was good, but I thought the opening was insanely creepy. It looked like her shadow, or maybe the demon, was on the wall of the doorway that the husband/wife came through, right? I wasn't imagining that? Her eyes were really creepy when they found her crouched on the counter like that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just finished the UPN cut and holy poo poo is it good. The aggressively X-Files styled production is weirdly gorgeous, as is the synth soundtrack (possibly made by the composer for the X-Files, certainly sounds similar enough). In contrast to the director's cut almost all footage of the aliens themselves is excised and replaced with awkward cuts and static, adding a transparent veil of "mystery" to scenes that felt like outtakes from the set of Communion in the DC.

My favorite part has to be the insanely obvious ADR adding mild narration to scenes that lacked context. The whole thing is an exercise in pushing the boundaries ofwhat bullshit you can call "fact," in that it's a completely gutted (in a good way!) recut of falsified footage intercut with out-of-context talking-head "experts" delivering canned theories on greys. The most poignant bit comes near the beginning, when discussing the verisimilitude of the footage: a title card reading "HOAX THEORY," followed by people skirting around calling bullshit, followed by the title card "REAL THEORY."

It stands in stark contrast to Ghostwatch, coming a half-decade later on the heels of a huge resurgence in abduction fiction. Whereas GHostwatch is subdued and unsure of itself, often stagey, UPN Alien Abduction is aggressive and swift, packed with manufactured tension and certainty. A+ would watch again.

All produced by Dick Clark Productions! Also the credits list the cast, so people who thought it was real are far stupider than you'd think.

Also the kid with the camera was on the Nickelodeon classic Space Cases.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

The "Scenes From Various Hollywood Movies" bit is amazing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Whispering Machines posted:

That was good, but I thought the opening was insanely creepy. It looked like her shadow, or maybe the demon, was on the wall of the doorway that the husband/wife came through, right? I wasn't imagining that? Her eyes were really creepy when they found her crouched on the counter like that.

Definitely didn't imagine that. Mama has almost the same opening AND does the same shadow trick where the doctor looks menacing in a few scenes Horror movies starring women are much more interesting when they have something to do other than scream for 70 minutes.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Last Exorcism II chat:

I hated this movie but that part almost jolted me back to consciousness.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

penismightier posted:

The "Scenes From Various Hollywood Movies" bit is amazing.

1990's fun fact: the movie credited for those scenes in the closing credits is _Dark Eyes_, a movie I've never seen evidence of anywhere aside from a behind-the-scenes segment on a sci-fi channel show called _Sci-Fi Buzz_ that I saw years earlier. It has haunted me since then.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well, Insidious certainly went in a strange direction. What a shame, the first half was so good.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Mar 12, 2013

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well, Insidious certainly went in a strange direction. What a shame, the first half was so good.

I really feel insidious just because the first half had so much promise then they bombed so hard in the second

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
The second half could have fooled me for an Are You Afraid of the Dark episode. A mediocre AYAotD episode. Don't you learn in horror movie making 101 that if your character starts getting into fist fights with ghouls most of the tension will die? And when did Darth Maul take up a new hobby?

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 12, 2013

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

by Lowtax
I don't think I've been excited for a horror movie like I've been for Evil Dead in years. Caught the latest ad on tv tonight and man am I excited. :allears:

Now even if you'd wagered $10,000 a few years ago, I never would have believed I'd ever say those words.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I think you can pinpoint the exact moment when Insidious takes a turn for the worse: when the gas mask thing comes out. Looks creepy but whaaaaat? After that it gradually goes further into goofball territory.

The pictures with the dad as a boy and the old lady showing up in them are pretty creepy though

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

So far the reviews of The Evil Dead remake on horror movie sites have been positive to middling, so it's looking good so far. They say the large majority of the effects are practical and it's over-the-top gory like the originals, so much so that one reviewer was surprised the film managed to get an R the way it is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just finished the UPN cut

Do you, or does anyone have a link to this? I've found several versions, but I want to make sure I watch the right one, then the other ones.

Edit:

priznat posted:

I think you can pinpoint the exact moment when Insidious takes a turn for the worse: when the gas mask thing comes out. Looks creepy but whaaaaat? After that it gradually goes further into goofball territory.

The pictures with the dad as a boy and the old lady showing up in them are pretty creepy though

Insidious never gets worse. :colbert:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I need help with remembering the title of a film I saw a long time ago, this probably spoils a scene in the film but I remember it dealt with the very wealthy and there was a scene where everyones skin gets stretched and melded together. Also, I think someone literally gets turned inside out. It was a bout a young man discovering the rich were a horrific body horror style cult. I think it was like Riches or something but that title is not right for some reason.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

100 Gacy House can suck it. Not like I had hopes for this or anything. This is the closest we've gotten to having found footage Predator, though (even makes the sound near the end).

It's not lovely like Area 407 where nothing happens, it's lovely like The Tunnel where everything that happens is lovely.

PS: Bigfoot: The Lost Tapes is a thing that exists.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Hollis posted:

I need help with remembering the title of a film I saw a long time ago, this probably spoils a scene in the film but I remember it dealt with the very wealthy and there was a scene where everyones skin gets stretched and melded together. Also, I think someone literally gets turned inside out. It was a bout a young man discovering the rich were a horrific body horror style cult. I think it was like Riches or something but that title is not right for some reason.

Society

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098354/

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

SEX HAVER 40000 posted:

I just finished the UPN cut and holy poo poo is it good.

Wait, how? I actually haven't seen it since the original broadcast, back in 1998!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This movie is 80s as gently caress and super weird. You just don't get a good dose of Billy Warlock quite often enough these days.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Mar 12, 2013

Horns
Nov 4, 2009
Someone else in the thread perfectly summed up my feelings on Society (paraphrasing because I can't find the specific post): It's pretty dull up until the finale, but MAN what a finale. The last 15 minutes of Society is utterly bugfuck crazy.

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

MacheteZombie posted:

Do you, or does anyone have a link to this? I've found several versions, but I want to make sure I watch the right one, then the other ones.

Wait, how? I actually haven't seen it since the original broadcast, back in 1998!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pGcN3b1IRQ
Here you go! I'd never actually seen this version either and had to hunt it down with this dreadful youtube name. You're right, it's much better, although they bear so little relation that it's hard to compare.

A couple of the creepier moments were excised sure but all the things that bug me about the feature length version are gone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Soylent Green posted:

Here you go! I'd never actually seen this version either and had to hunt it down with this dreadful youtube name. You're right, it's much better, although they bear so little relation that it's hard to compare.

A couple of the creepier moments were excised sure but all the things that bug me about the feature length version are gone.

Oh poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Soylent Green posted:

I've been waiting a long time to see this.

And I do not care how sad that sounds.

Thank you.