Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I've basically stopped waving because all the 08+ Imprezas/WRXes/STIs don't bother returning my wave, instead preferring to pretend that their sedan with a giant wing on the back is somehow cool and not awkward and quirky.

Sorry, they didn't tell me I was supposed to do that when I took delivery. :(

EDIT:

blargle posted:

I used to wave, but people tend to want to race or drive like maniacs just because I bought the same car as them, so now I ignore everyone.

This too, though I have more dads in minivans try to pull on me for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I am scrapping my 99 2.2L SOHC (California so MAP) engine and wondered if people need anything. I have most of it, 7 good injectors, and the engine is good and the cylinders look great except for cyl #3 has a nasty burned exahust valve. The valve seat looks okay and could probably just have a valve lapped in for cheap. I have two engines worth of bolts, and tons of random fitting/clips/wiring/etc if anyone needs anything. Just pay some small amount of money and shipping, its all in great shape!

I also have a black and a green power LH side mirror, front and right side front power window motors and rails, and some interior parts.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Grab me a piston for my desk. I want EJ22 goodness. :)

A random bag of bolts probably wouldn't be untoward either.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I would pay you to just comb junkyards in Cali and mail me bags of factory plated metric bolts.

Just strip all those golden beauties from their resting places so they can be abused in the salts of Ontario.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

Grab me a piston for my desk. I want EJ22 goodness. :)

+1 on that. I'd pay for a cool paper weight - filthy or otherwise.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

blargle posted:

I used to wave, but people tend to want to race or drive like maniacs just because I bought the same car as them, so now I ignore everyone.

I usually wave when they're coming towards me. Everyone's been pretty nice. I've only once gotten someone to race me, and it was a modified SRT-4 Caliber :rolleyes:

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I drove next to a cute blonde with a new STI in traffic for miles yesterday. She didn't look or wave.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I didn't know I was supposed to wave. I thought that was for Jeep Wranglers and Harley Davidsons and bicyclists who aren't up their own rear end about having a more expensive bike than you. I'll keep an eye out and wave.

Polymerized Cum
May 5, 2012

DJ Commie posted:

I am scrapping my 99 2.2L SOHC (California so MAP) engine and wondered if people need anything. I have most of it, 7 good injectors, and the engine is good and the cylinders look great except for cyl #3 has a nasty burned exahust valve. The valve seat looks okay and could probably just have a valve lapped in for cheap. I have two engines worth of bolts, and tons of random fitting/clips/wiring/etc if anyone needs anything. Just pay some small amount of money and shipping, its all in great shape!

I also have a black and a green power LH side mirror, front and right side front power window motors and rails, and some interior parts.

Any chance you have ABS parts? I need the two relays on the top.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Count me in for a piston. I need something to balance out the Dr Who crap and compliment these guys on my desk at work:

Saerjin
Jun 29, 2009

toplitzin posted:

Count me in for a piston. I need something to balance out the Dr Who crap and compliment these guys on my desk at work:

My significant other thought it would be hilarious to tease me in saying she got me a STI for Christmas... Only for it to be that red Hotwheels car!

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I have an 09 and I always wave back :(

I do get a wave from a guy in a blue 350Z that has the opposite commute as me almost every day though :)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

jamal posted:

For the older EJs, the manual recommended different oil weights for different conditions, from 5w30 all the way up to 20w50 for "extreme temperatures and towing."

Somewhere along the way, likely in order to improve fuel economy, they've gone down to 5w30 across the board (I'm ignoring the new FA/FB). However, nothing changed mechanically in the engine. Oil passages, oil pump, bearing clearances, etc are all the same as they always were. However, a wrx for example revs the engine higher, has more oil demand for the turbo and avcs compared to say a 99 Legacy.

So, in my opinion, every turbo subaru should be using 5w40 synthetic (unless all you do is commute during the winter in alaska). If you're doing some sort of racing you really need to have that in the car. Some people go to heavier oils such as 15w50 or 20w50 for high powered track cars, but you need to be monitoring oil pressure and temperature if you go that far.

5w40 Lubro-moly (I suspect other higher-end syns would be fine) does well at high track temps. Still keeps good pressure at 130C -- also, the UOI showed it was fine. I need an oil cooler. . . . (I don't do track days in the summer now)
5w30 pentosyn was a bit thin above 110C.
On the 2005 LGTs, subaru recommends 5w30 for most temps and 10w40 for hot temps. 5w40 covers both.

----
No one waves in SoCal. Everyone here is a jerk :(

edit: gently caress boost leaks forever.

nm fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Mar 12, 2013

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

nm posted:

There's nobody else to wave at in SoCal. Everyone here is a jerk :(

Fixed that for you. Apart from the meets here and there, it's a loving mission to find another subaru on the streets of LA.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Does anyone know where to source fog light "lenses" for my 2011 STi? They both cracked; I'm think as a result from being hot on the bulb side and snowpacked on the outside. They work fine though.

Any warranty chance? Clearly no rock impacts.

Also I don't wave, most WRX owners look retarded.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Does anyone know where to source fog light "lenses" for my 2011 STi? They both cracked; I'm think as a result from being hot on the bulb side and snowpacked on the outside. They work fine though.

Any warranty chance? Clearly no rock impacts.

One of mine was clearly shattered by a rock and the other was just cracked and I couldn't claim warranty on either. I think your SOL, which sucks because they're an expensive part.

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

Gigi Galli posted:

One of mine was clearly shattered by a rock and the other was just cracked and I couldn't claim warranty on either. I think your SOL, which sucks because they're an expensive part.

Do you remember what parts you bought? I am not paying for another complete kit...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
One of the foglights on my 06 is a Chinese bodyshop replacement that cost like $20 as opposed to $250. It looks almost exactly the same and it's not like I use the drat things anyway.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

I don't know if the fog lamp lenses are the same size on the wrx vs sti, but this worked for me when I needed to change a cracked lens not too long ago.

According to my dealer, it's a known issue, but SOA won't touch them for whatever reason. IIRC, you're pretty much stuck with buying a brand spanking new lamp assembly if you want to fix it using dealer-sourced (somewhere around $150-250/pair but don't quote me on that) parts.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Hey look what I did today:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

Anyone who's done shifter bushings, did you notice a small (but noticeable) NVH increase in regards to trans whine?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yep. I also get the occasional rattle.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

jamal posted:

Yep. I also get the occasional rattle.

I have yet to hear an Impreza 5 speed that doesn't rattle at high RPM in 3rd.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
If you can still hear the transmission at high RPM in 3rd you're not doing it right.

Because Awful.apk seems to have eaten it, here's my contribution to the high mileage Subaru club.

Original engine I think... not original trans because I swapped it for one that didn't sound like a rock tumbler.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Awful Betamax works with the new forum much better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It was Betamax. It took my attachment, let me finish up my post and then doesn't seem to have done anything after I posted it. First time I've ever tried the attachment feature though, so who knows. We'll find out if it spontaneously makes the post in the middle of the night or something.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I swapped it for one that didn't sound like a rock tumbler.
A non-subaru transmission?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I just bought a new WRX. It's my first new car and I'm pretty drat stoked about it.

Some things--should I abide by the manual's easy break in procedure, or should I do what that one internet guy says and drive the hell out of it? Also, I remember old turbo engines needed to be left running for a minute or two to let them cool down before shutting them off. Should I be doing this with my WRX? I've only revved it up to 4K at this point--it feels like a rocket ship compared to the Accord I was driving previously.

The dealership was asking a lollertastic $5K over MSRP as a "regional supply surcharge"--I talked them down to MSRP with little to no effort. In fact, it was so easy that I regret not talking them down further.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Mar 13, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just bought a new WRX. It's my first new car and I'm pretty drat stoked about it.

Some things--should I abide by the manual's easy break in procedure, or should I do what that one internet guy says and drive the hell out of it? Also, I remember old turbo engines needed to be left running for a minute or two to let them cool down before shutting them off. Should I be doing this with my WRX? I've only revved it up to 4K at this point--it feels like a rocket ship compared to the Accord I was driving previously.

The dealership was asking a lollertastic $5K over MSRP as a "regional supply surcharge"--I talked them down to MSRP with little to no effort. In fact, it was so easy that I regret not talking them down further.

a) Unless you are HAMMERING the car (and by that I mean genuine on the track go like hell), you do not need to idle down. There is a water tank above the turbo that stops the old turbo car issues. The best way to cool down after a hard drive is to reduce speed and coast / idle about for a km or two anyway.

b) The recommended run in out of the mouth of Subaru to me was drive it like you stole it but dont go over 4000-4500 rpm. I have heard nothing to contradict that and that's exactly what I did. That tends to get confirmed a fair bit as a valid break in method.

On running in, the engine actually wont be at it's 100% best until you get about 20,000kms on it - It's always been the nature of boxer motors to take a while to really free up

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

a) Unless you are HAMMERING the car (and by that I mean genuine on the track go like hell), you do not need to idle down. There is a water tank above the turbo that stops the old turbo car issues. The best way to cool down after a hard drive is to reduce speed and coast / idle about for a km or two anyway.

b) The recommended run in out of the mouth of Subaru to me was drive it like you stole it but dont go over 4000-4500 rpm. I have heard nothing to contradict that and that's exactly what I did. That tends to get confirmed a fair bit as a valid break in method.

On running in, the engine actually wont be at it's 100% best until you get about 20,000kms on it - It's always been the nature of boxer motors to take a while to really free up

Thanks! I can't wait to get past the break in to really let it rip.

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Mar 13, 2013

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Don't miss your first oil change!

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

daslog posted:

Don't miss your first oil change!

The maintenance manual says to do it after the first 7.5K. Should I be doing it earlier?

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss

The maintenance manual says to do it after the first 7.5K. Should I be doing it earlier?

I know tuners say 1k miles for motor swaps I think it's the same since you have break in oil.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

What? Really? I'd be changing oil at no more than 1500km from new. New motors tend to have metal particles from bedding in bits circulating and that's not a good thing for a long time. Part of the breaking in procedure is flushing the crap out of the engine.

7.5K really sounds just too long for my liking. 1500kms should be where you do first service.

(What is true on Subarus is that you switch to synthetic at 7.5K's, because otherwise the motor doesn't get the chance to bed properly. Well, any car shouldn't go to synth until first oil change but with a boxer motor's tendancy to take a while to bed in, it's more important)

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010

McSpatula posted:

I don't know if the fog lamp lenses are the same size on the wrx vs sti, but this worked for me when I needed to change a cracked lens not too long ago.

According to my dealer, it's a known issue, but SOA won't touch them for whatever reason. IIRC, you're pretty much stuck with buying a brand spanking new lamp assembly if you want to fix it using dealer-sourced (somewhere around $150-250/pair but don't quote me on that) parts.

If they don't warranty them this is likely what I'll do. Heuberger Subaru will sell the parts at 25% off, making it 200 bucks. No deal.

Edit: break in discussion

When I bout my STi new I mostly kept it under 4k tpms but went almost to redline once and above 4k a couple times. I guess I just drove it normally. That said, i was always in "intellegent" mode which means it never got 100% throttle till over 1k miles. Since then the car has been autocrossed (first event at 1500 miles), commuted in, and driven in all conditions and burns almost no oil. Maybe a fifth of a court between some but not all oil changes. Also I use Amsoil SSO 5w30.

The jury seems to be out on what the factory fill is, but I did my first oil change at 981 miles with Subaru synthetic, then switched later to the Amsoil. A local Subaru guy that I generally trust said that the Subaru synthetic is actually quite good. I don't remember the name of the manufacturer he gave me, but it's out of Japan and supposedly one of the best. I still use the Amsoil since at this point it's tried and true, but just some thoughts.

I can't really confirm what cat was saying about the motor taking a while to reach 100% output wise, but I do know that my gas mileage steadily improved till about 11k miles. Then winter gas and tires came and I don't think the data set is useful past that. In my mind that lends credibility to his comments.

THE BLACK NINJA fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Mar 13, 2013

nm
Jan 28, 2008

What would cause a boost leak to just disappear randomly?

I had a boost leak occur on Monday. No vacuum loss. It was clearly a boost leak with a loss of boost (from about 1200kpa to 700 kpa max), weird activity under throttle, etc.
Planned to find it on saturday

This morning is was acting weird and then I gave it a bit of gas on an on ramp, everything sorted out and now it runs normal.
The gently caress? Maybe a bypass valve issue? Dunno if it will come back. Only drove a few miles.
No codes, no running issues besides just boost disappearing.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Cat Terrist posted:

What? Really? I'd be changing oil at no more than 1500km from new. New motors tend to have metal particles from bedding in bits circulating and that's not a good thing for a long time. Part of the breaking in procedure is flushing the crap out of the engine.

7.5K really sounds just too long for my liking. 1500kms should be where you do first service.

(What is true on Subarus is that you switch to synthetic at 7.5K's, because otherwise the motor doesn't get the chance to bed properly. Well, any car shouldn't go to synth until first oil change but with a boxer motor's tendancy to take a while to bed in, it's more important)

I was surprised by the 7.5K figure as well--I haven't owned a new car before, but I did recall my friends and family who have owned new cars had always done an oil change pretty early on in the car's life. I'll get it changed after break in.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
The 7K is what Subaru does for all their cars now.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I wish I'd sent my oil off now for analysis at 7.5k so I could contribute more than just saying that I didn't change my oil till 7.5k and nothing has blown up yet! NASIOC seems pretty divided on the issue but it's what the manual recommends so it'll at least be covered by warranty if something does gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I'm torn also. You have an oil filter which takes care of the particles, but there are going to be way more of them for this oil change compared to (hopefully) every other one from here on out. It's only a few bucks to do it, so just pay the money for peace of mind.

nm posted:

What would cause a boost leak to just disappear randomly?

I had a boost leak occur on Monday. No vacuum loss. It was clearly a boost leak with a loss of boost (from about 1200kpa to 700 kpa max), weird activity under throttle, etc.
Planned to find it on saturday

This morning is was acting weird and then I gave it a bit of gas on an on ramp, everything sorted out and now it runs normal.
The gently caress? Maybe a bypass valve issue? Dunno if it will come back. Only drove a few miles.
No codes, no running issues besides just boost disappearing.

Do an actual leak test. It doesn't sound "clearly" like a boost leak.