Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

AlphaDog posted:

Which rear end in a top hat cats are you referring to?

When the illusion cats show up to save Dresden in Cold Days, Harry has some mental monologue about how cats are basically apex urban predators that give no fucks and etc..

Also, Mister was an rear end in a top hat throughout the series. Constantly knocking Mouse's food bowl over and swatting him on the nose, I'm sure there are other remarks about how Mister just doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else in the apartment and how he just puts up with them, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Wade Wilson posted:

When the illusion cats show up to save Dresden in Cold Days, Harry has some mental monologue about how cats are basically apex urban predators that give no fucks and etc..

Also, Mister was an rear end in a top hat throughout the series. Constantly knocking Mouse's food bowl over and swatting him on the nose, I'm sure there are other remarks about how Mister just doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else in the apartment and how he just puts up with them, as well.

And that's all pretty typical cat behavior.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Wade Wilson posted:

They kinda are murder machines.

Wade Wilson posted:

Mister was never an rear end in a top hat. He's a cat and all he did was firmly establish the pecking order in Harry's household: Mister > Bob/Mouse > Harry.

As already mentioned: that's all pretty typical cat behaviour. Sure, you have cats that are the nicest, friendliest, cuddliest things imaginable (who still can and when given the chance probably will cheerfully murder any bird they spot). But you also have cats that are disdainful and act like they own the world.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 6, 2013

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I never said Jim Butcher was wrong or that it was a bad thing. :colbert:

ZRM
Nov 25, 2007
So I've been thinking a bit, and I think I figured out how Harry will get Molly out of the cold. He'll trade the blackstaff to mother Winter for Molly's freedom. Possibly his own as well. What happens to the winter lady mantle after that, I don't know.

OBi
Feb 27, 2005

HQ BN A CO BEARMAT
2001-2005. The POG-est.

Wade Wilson posted:

I never said Jim Butcher was wrong or that it was a bad thing. :colbert:

Yeah but this guy with his cat murder apologist views started the whole thing:

404GoonNotFound posted:

So cats are assholes in pretty much every Butcher book? I know he's a dog person, but wow :jerkbag:

The Birdocaust is real and it's happening right now man.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Honestly I was just riffing on Sir Stuart's "Cats can see you, they just don't give a poo poo" comment and it somehow spun out of control when I wasn't looking.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

OBi posted:

The Birdocaust is real and it's happening right now man.

I'm fine with this, birds are the real assholes anyway.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

For those that care, Daniel O'Malley has submitted the first draft of the sequel to The Rook.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo

Yessssssssssssss

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Haven't read the thread. I'm new to the series, read up through White Knight and took a break, then my buddy got me a copy of Cold Days, signed by Butcher. Excited, I resumed the series to catch up before I got Cold Days in the mail.

I just finished Changes. I feel like I was kicked in the stomach.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Dienes posted:

Yeah, that'll happen. It's a good kick though. Very well executed. Just keep reading.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dienes posted:

Haven't read the thread. I'm new to the series, read up through White Knight and took a break, then my buddy got me a copy of Cold Days, signed by Butcher. Excited, I resumed the series to catch up before I got Cold Days in the mail.

One of us. One of us!

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Dienes posted:

Changes isn't the last stomach kick Butcher is going to give you. A certain future part caused me to put the kindle down and walk around my apartment grumbling despondently.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

mikeycp posted:

Changes isn't the last stomach kick Butcher is going to give you. A certain future part caused me to put the kindle down and walk around my apartment grumbling despondently.

Don't get all broken up about that, he gets a new duster later and everything.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

404GoonNotFound posted:

Don't get all broken up about that, he gets a new duster later and everything.

I meant kicks post-Changes.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

mikeycp posted:

I meant kicks post-Changes.

Yes, that's what 404 was talking about, too.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
I wonder if having tools made from materials he gathers on Demonreach will have any effect on Harry's magic.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

Wade Wilson posted:

I wonder if having tools made from materials he gathers on Demonreach will have any effect on Harry's magic.

I'd bet money on it.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

Yessssss.

Out of a few different authors/series I tried when I ran out of Dresden, I think The Rook might've been my favorite.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I started Kat Richardson's Greywalker. Seems pretty cool. Blaine appears to be a lot like a lady version of Dresden, personality-wise. I'm a couple of chapters in and there's already been awkward flirting, but it does seem to be written that way intentionally.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AlphaDog posted:

I started Kat Richardson's Greywalker. Seems pretty cool. Blaine appears to be a lot like a lady version of Dresden, personality-wise. I'm a couple of chapters in and there's already been awkward flirting, but it does seem to be written that way intentionally.

She's not as bad as Dresden, but is still slightly on the awkward side of center. She's a lot more confident and has far fewer autistic tendencies.

pseudonordic, you're the one who pushed me to the series. Can you tell me if the second book is the low point? Because I liked the first but the second was a muddled mess.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

ConfusedUs posted:

has far fewer autistic tendencies.

Oh thank God I found this thread. I mentioned to my friend (the one who bought me Cold Days) that Harry had a lot of ASD-typical behavior and he called me nuts. But its all there! Lack of eye contact, lack of social skills including failure to recognize and/or value facial/affect cues, ritualistic behavior, resistance to change, arguably the presence of splinter skills, often socially ostracized (warts/hexing tech), and perseverative interests.

Do you think that's just a fluke of how he's written, or do you think Butcher did it intentionally?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Dienes posted:

Oh thank God I found this thread. I mentioned to my friend (the one who bought me Cold Days) that Harry had a lot of ASD-typical behavior and he called me nuts. But its all there! Lack of eye contact, lack of social skills including failure to recognize and/or value facial/affect cues, ritualistic behavior, resistance to change, arguably the presence of splinter skills, often socially ostracized (warts/hexing tech), and perseverative interests.

Do you think that's just a fluke of how he's written, or do you think Butcher did it intentionally?

It's totally intentional.

Some of the most memorable short stories are those taken from non-Harry points of view, where other people directly think just how goddamned weird Harry can be.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

ConfusedUs posted:

She's not as bad as Dresden, but is still slightly on the awkward side of center. She's a lot more confident and has far fewer autistic tendencies.

pseudonordic, you're the one who pushed me to the series. Can you tell me if the second book is the low point? Because I liked the first but the second was a muddled mess.

Books 2 and 3 are a bit muddled but slowly showcase Blaine's exploration of her powers. Books 4 and 5 are a single plot.

BTW, currently reading Stephen Blackmoore's Dead Things. Good so far.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

It's totally intentional.

Some of the most memorable short stories are those taken from non-Harry points of view, where other people directly think just how goddamned weird Harry can be.

I'm also convinced that Harry's weirdness is an intentional choice, especially given the stories from the other point of view.

I think a lot of people are just used to really bad writing where the protagonist's lovely traits are a reflection of the author's lovely traits. But it absolutely makes sense for a modern day wizard to be a weird awkward shut-in who lives in a basement. Harry even refers to wizards in general as the weird nerds of the supernatural world (can't remember the exact phrasing, but that was the gist of it).

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Harry is even more of a nerd than most. His job is magic and his hobby is also magic.

Locking himself in the basement and not showering for a year after Susan got vampired is just icing on the cake.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

As a counterpoint, I ask this: tell me you would not spend all your time doing magic things if you were a loving wizard.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
Thomas and Murphy PoVs on Harry I recall, were pretty funny. He's just a weirdo until poo poo goes down and then he's an rear end kicking, problem solving monster.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

veekie posted:

Thomas and Murphy PoVs on Harry I recall, were pretty funny. He's just a weirdo until poo poo goes down and then he's an rear end kicking, problem solving monster.

I also like that he's kind of scary to normal people.

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
More like creepy to regular people. It's those who know what he can do that are terrified because this clearly unbalanced dude has a hell lot of power.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
And I love that we, as readers, know that his weird behavior and his terrifying cosmic power are basically entirely related.

Like yeah, he's a big goober who can't look anyone in the eye, and he wears that doofy loving coat no matter how hot it is outside and he can do complex math in his head but doesn't understand cell phones or computers. But the reasons for all of that are directly tied in to magic.

It's just a nifty point of view IMO, and a good use of "what the audience knows" vs "what the characters know".

veekie
Dec 25, 2007

Dice of Chaos
What about the mouthing off?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

veekie posted:

If I recall correctly, doesn't Murphy even directly use the term autistic to describe Harry in Aftermath?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

veekie posted:

What about the mouthing off?

That's all Harry, which is why I didn't mention it. Besides, if Harry was otherwise a normal dude, mouthing off wouldn't be a big deal anyway. (See also: Vince Graver)

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Doesn't Thomas describe him as redbull Gandalf on crack at one point?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

wiegieman posted:

As a counterpoint, I ask this: tell me you would not spend all your time doing magic things if you were a loving wizard.

"How could you not spend all your time hacking if you were a hacker" - most hackers. (That's traditional-sense hackers of course, not the media sense of "computer criminal").

Same with lots of scientists. Or athletes. Or even some people in the military. Really, if something's what you do to the extent that Harry's a wizard, it does tend to occupy all your time. Hell, you get some people who manage to define themselves as "middle manager in no-name company" - they have no skills or interests outside their work. If you were a wizard, it'd be like any of that stuff times a thousand.

Just a thought, but is every main character in Dresden Files obsessed with something to the point that it fucks with their lives? Harry, Michael, Molly, and Murphy all fit that.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

AlphaDog posted:

Just a thought, but is every main character in Dresden Files obsessed with something to the point that it fucks with their lives? Harry, Michael, Molly, and Murphy all fit that.

Of those, Michael is the closest to having had a normal life outside of his calling, and even there, it's very clear he's much happier post-retirement as a full-time family man than he ever was as a Knight of the Cross. So I think you're probably on to something.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dienes posted:

I think it's both. I think Butcher basically came up with Harry as a personal avatar, then came up with in-universe rationalizations for all of Harry's (Butcher's) weird quirks. Which is more than most authors ever manage to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat
Apr 8, 2003

SerSpook posted:

If I recall correctly, doesn't Murphy even directly use the term autistic to describe Harry in Aftermath?

Yeah, and not just the lack of eye-contact. It surprised me to see him others describing him as being quiet and moving carefully and deliberately (because of his size). He would only transform when into super intense and confident when poo poo hit the fan.

• Locked thread