Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

5er
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!

isk posted:

Goddamnit. The exchange of BAKA NE in the Sima Yi / Masamune Date mission in WO3 is legend.

I really enjoyed the stereotype-overlap characters hanging out together being bros-4-evah in WO3. I resented the 'good ending' denouement "Everybody goes back to their own times, and their original problems, and Orochi-land faded into a dream as the old resentments settled back in..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

5er posted:

I really enjoyed the stereotype-overlap characters hanging out together being bros-4-evah in WO3. I resented the 'good ending' denouement "Everybody goes back to their own times, and their original problems, and Orochi-land faded into a dream as the old resentments settled back in..."

My favorite is the opening scene in... WO3 I think. Where they have Cao Cao and Nobunaga just staring each other down.

Saith
Oct 10, 2010

Asahina...
Regular Penguins look just the same!
Speaking of Nobunage, his Japanese voice makes him sound... Kinda stupid? I always figured he'd have a deeper, more pragmatic or at least kind of 'evil' voice considering what I've heard about him, but... Is he supposed to be a fop? Like, is that the Japanese perception? Or does he just sound normal to everybody else?

Saith fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 11, 2013

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Saith posted:

Speaking of Nobunage, his Japanese voice makes him sound... Kinda stupid? I always givered he'd have a deeper, more pragmatic or at least kind of 'evil' voice considering what I've heard about him, but... Is he supposed to be a fop? Like, is that the Japanese perception? Or does he just sound normal to everybody else?

Well he is the Fool of Owari. His early conquests were successful in part because he acted like such an idiot all his neighbors thought he was incompetent. One of his own retainers killed himself because he thought Nobunaga would bring shame to the Oda clan. He's also known for doing weird stuff like reciting poetry and dancing before battle.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Saith posted:

Speaking of Nobunage, his Japanese voice makes him sound... Kinda stupid? I always figured he'd have a deeper, more pragmatic or at least kind of 'evil' voice considering what I've heard about him, but... Is he supposed to be a fop? Like, is that the Japanese perception? Or does he just sound normal to everybody else?

Yeah, I was a big fan of his english dub in SW2. I think they're trying to make him sound as much like Nobio Wakamoto without actually having Nobio Watamoto.

(for those that don't know, Nobio VAs Nobunaga in Sengoku Basara and is seen as a Japanese Brian Blessed.)

EDIT:

5er posted:

Don't fret, we all know that any attempt to wrap up a popular series will be ignored at the soonest opportunity :v:

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Probably saving it for after the next Samurai Warriors. You know, the one that's supposed to be coming out a year from now.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Belzac posted:

Well he is the Fool of Owari. His early conquests were successful in part because he acted like such an idiot all his neighbors thought he was incompetent. One of his own retainers killed himself because he thought Nobunaga would bring shame to the Oda clan. He's also known for doing weird stuff like reciting poetry and dancing before battle.
Also according to a missionary that I can't remember the name of's description, he had a high, quiet voice.

I think Koei just really wanted him to be a Japanese Cao Cao.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also according to a missionary that I can't remember the name of's description, he had a high, quiet voice.

I think Koei just really wanted him to be a Japanese Cao Cao.

Nobunaga just sounds like a really weird guy all around, just going by Koei Wikia's slavish article on him.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Policenaut posted:

As someone who was in your shoes a few months ago, let me tell you to wait on Pirate Warriors. PW1 is shockingly barebones and omits tons of content (such as Thriller Bark!) while PW2 is shaping up to be a fully comprehensive package and then some. The good news is that PW2 isn't set for Western release until the summer.

Ah, alright then, thanks Policenaut!
I'm going to get WO3 but I want to know how hard is it to plat? I generally like to 100% most games unless they have some bullshit requirements (mahjong or pachinko in Yakuza 4, for example) or they have a lot of multiplayer trophies (I generally buy games way after they came out, so there's not many people playing the multiplayer)

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Vincent posted:

I'm going to get WO3 but I want to know how hard is it to plat? I generally like to 100% most games unless they have some bullshit requirements (mahjong or pachinko in Yakuza 4, for example) or they have a lot of multiplayer trophies (I generally buy games way after they came out, so there's not many people playing the multiplayer)

The achievements in Warriors games are only hard if you don't like grinding.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

PureRok posted:

The achievements in Warriors games are only hard if you don't like grinding.

Time to listen to some podcasts while I massacre thousands of soldiers then!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

WO3 just came in the mail from Glyde today and I played two scenarios. I had no idea what was going on at first, it's much more frantic than DW7. After awhile I caught on and its awesome. Anything I need to know? I've only played two mission of DW7 and that's it.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
All you need to know about WO3 is that the SW and DW characters have different playstyles (Musou mechanics being the biggest difference). If you want to know about the previous WO games' storylines, there's an encyclopedia menu.

Just bask in the timeline shenanigans while murdering millions of dudes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Schubalts posted:

All you need to know about WO3 is that the SW and DW characters have different playstyles (Musou mechanics being the biggest difference). If you want to know about the previous WO games' storylines, there's an encyclopedia menu.

Just bask in the timeline shenanigans while murdering millions of dudes.
Wait, there's an encyclopedia in WO3? I thought there wasn't.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Vincent posted:

That depends on how much tolerance you have for grinding proficiency or whatever that stat is on all 100-some characters and beating the whole game on Chaos, because those are the two most time-consuming things to do.

U.T. Raptor fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 12, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just finished the Wu what if scenario in 8. They all decided that it was okay for each of them to only rule a third of China, and stopped fighting. Stopped fighting? A third of China is good enough? What the gently caress is going on here?

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Samurai Sanders posted:

I just finished the Wu what if scenario in 8. They all decided that it was okay for each of them to only rule a third of China, and stopped fighting. Stopped fighting? A third of China is good enough? What the gently caress is going on here?

THE TIGER OF JIANG DONG CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH :black101: Seriously, though, that makes zero sense. Even ignoring the fact that it's Wu, none of the warlords in the entire series would be content with just a third of China. Still hoping for the eventual world conquest by the Sun family.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Raserys posted:

THE TIGER OF JIANG DONG CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH :black101: Seriously, though, that makes zero sense. Even ignoring the fact that it's Wu, none of the warlords in the entire series would be content with just a third of China. Still hoping for the eventual world conquest by the Sun family.

Having just gotten around to playing it, that sounds like it follows the family's characterization in 7, actually. Most of Sun Jian and Sun Quan's ambition came from trying to provide a safe land for their family and people to live in and didn't really care about the whole 'rule all of China' thing. It was just that the guy trying to rule all of China was a warmongering douche who needed to be forcibly removed for the good of the people of Wu, and if someone had to take his place, well, why not the Sun family.

That was one thing I liked about 7 compared to the other Dynasty Warriors games- Shu had ambition but lacked direction and resolve until they picked up Zhuge Liang (and became fanatical about their goals to the point of folly after he died). Wei wanted to bring unified peace but decided martial force was the only way he could be sure it would stick and became ruthless conquerors that terrified the other two kingdoms into action. The Sun family just kinda wanted to be left alone and didn't really care much about anything besides protecting their own Kingdom, even if it meant doing some shady things for their own good instead of for the land as a whole. All the Kingdoms came off as heavily flawed this time around... as befitting of the game that finally introduced the scenario that is basically the fall of the Three Kingdoms, I guess.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Mar 12, 2013

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Richard Epcar posted:

I'm off to voice 'Dong Zhou' people!

https://twitter.com/RichardEpcar/status/311215186096820224

Richard Epcar has been the English voice of Dong Zhuo in every game since Dynasty Warriors 4. Whoops. :toot:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

tooooooo bad posted:

Richard Epcar has been the English voice of Dong Zhuo in every game since Dynasty Warriors 4. Whoops. :toot:

Oh my god, yes! I knew it! I knew Tecmo Koei wouldn't half-rear end the big game!

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

gently caress yes.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Awesome. DW8 is on the way soon and is getting actual localization value.

Dynasty Warriors dubs have always been terrible, but in a charming way like old kung fu movies. I'd miss it if I wasn't warned not to chase Lu Bu in a language I understood, so I have absolutely no excuse when I ignore the advice and get murdered.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Hopefully it comes out on PSN because I accidentally bought $50 of PSN points when I got 7: E.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Mr. Locke posted:

Having just gotten around to playing it, that sounds like it follows the family's characterization in 7, actually. Most of Sun Jian and Sun Quan's ambition came from trying to provide a safe land for their family and people to live in and didn't really care about the whole 'rule all of China' thing. It was just that the guy trying to rule all of China was a warmongering douche who needed to be forcibly removed for the good of the people of Wu, and if someone had to take his place, well, why not the Sun family.

That was one thing I liked about 7 compared to the other Dynasty Warriors games- Shu had ambition but lacked direction and resolve until they picked up Zhuge Liang (and became fanatical about their goals to the point of folly after he died). Wei wanted to bring unified peace but decided martial force was the only way he could be sure it would stick and became ruthless conquerors that terrified the other two kingdoms into action. The Sun family just kinda wanted to be left alone and didn't really care much about anything besides protecting their own Kingdom, even if it meant doing some shady things for their own good instead of for the land as a whole. All the Kingdoms came off as heavily flawed this time around... as befitting of the game that finally introduced the scenario that is basically the fall of the Three Kingdoms, I guess.

It's been awhile since I played DW7 now, but I remember really liking the endings this time around.

I remember Wei's ending being especially good with Xiahou Dun talking to Cao Cao as he died in bed or something.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wait, there's an encyclopedia in WO3? I thought there wasn't.

Oh, it's a menu just for the Orochi recap. My mistake.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Raserys posted:

Besides fitting with other characterizations about just wanting a secure home, I'd note that DW7's Wu ending is much the same way in cutting off after Yiling and Dongkou with Sun Quan being content with thwarting the Shu threat and Liu Bei "merely" ill (though soon to pass away as the Shu story depicts) while sparing Cao Pi at Dongkou because his people need him.

To some extent, it comes off like without an animating ideology of "conquest" or "benevolence" (oh boy) Wu is more of a "family business" that needs that secure foundation more than they need more tenuously held territory. I don't know if the DW8 what-if ending/stages have any of the factors that influenced this in the canon timeline? Such as the Sun family nearly losing everything and being reduced to Sun Ce being one of Yuan Shu's officers until deciding to use the Imperial Seal to 'borrow' troops with which to conquer southeastern China, but then the defeats at Hefei at Zhang Liao's hands basically putting a halt to Sun Quan's "ride the momentum" post-Chibi attempt to strike northward and turning his eyes back to Jing Province.

Sonata Mused posted:

It's been awhile since I played DW7 now, but I remember really liking the endings this time around.

I remember Wei's ending being especially good with Xiahou Dun talking to Cao Cao as he died in bed or something.
Personally I would have preferred Cao Cao receiving Guan Yu's head as a "birthday present" from Wu, ordering the honorable burial then explaining to a surprised Xiahou Dun that this would be his final defense of Wei -- by sticking Wu with the problem of Liu Bei's wrath -- before passing on.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

tooooooo bad posted:

Best news I've read in a while.

I don't hate the Japanese voices or whatever but with 90% of the dialog being the various catch phrases for different accomplishments I tend to slip into autopilot and just ignore all of it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Jibo posted:

Best news I've read in a while.

I don't hate the Japanese voices or whatever but with 90% of the dialog being the various catch phrases for different accomplishments I tend to slip into autopilot and just ignore all of it.

Not to mention all the JP voices for defeats aren't as charming as the english ones. "ANOTHER DISBELIEVER CONVERTED!!!!:byodood:"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

The GIG posted:

Not to mention all the JP voices for defeats aren't as charming as the english ones. "ANOTHER DISBELIEVER CONVERTED!!!!:byodood:"
I disagree. Especially if you're talking about Zhang Jue there.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

It's a lot harder for me to pay attention when the dialogue is in Japanese. I usually try and translate in my head, which can be distracting. It's just much easier with it in English.

I just wish they would have two different message buffers. One that deals with just Officer KO count and major kills, and the other with actual important events.

Samurai Warriors sort of did this (I think), when the map itself would just have a tag with the name and KO count. Though I remember a message still appearing in the buffer as well.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It's been a while since I've seen 7's story, but why did the Wu lords get killed by dreams and arrows again?

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Tae posted:

It's been a while since I've seen 7's story, but why did the Wu lords get killed by dreams and arrows again?

Sun Jian was ambushed during a battle and died.

Sun Ce pissed off a wizardy dude by killing him. He kept appearing in Sun Ce's dreams until he basically died from exhaustion (I think).

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tae posted:

In DW7 at least, Sun Jian is essentially shot down by Liu Biao's forces after Sun Jian took part in a battle (on Yuan Shu's side) with Liu Biao's forces over Jing province, while 'the dream thing' was Sun Ce being shot by subordinates of the late Xu Gong who they thought had been assassinated by Sun Ce, the shooting being after Sun Ce finally breaks through the illusions caused by the sorcerer Yu Ji.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I was bored today and fired up Dynasty Warriors 3 on the original XBox. What a blast from the past.

Seeing as how DW7 is the current recommendation in the OP, I see GameStop has it for the 360 new for $25. Worth the price? Is any of the DLC worth it?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Just buy the base game and go from there. The expansions and stuff are for if you really like the series.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Charles Martel posted:

I was bored today and fired up Dynasty Warriors 3 on the original XBox. What a blast from the past.

Seeing as how DW7 is the current recommendation in the OP, I see GameStop has it for the 360 new for $25. Worth the price? Is any of the DLC worth it?

If you have a PS3 I'd recommend getting that version, just in case you like DW7 enough to want the PS3-exclusive Xtreme Legends expansion later. If not, it's still a great game on 360 and that's not a bad price for it.

e: no new 7E DLC this week? :(

see you tomorrow fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 13, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Here's a preview for Kamen Rider: Battride War explaining the general flow of things.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Sonata Mused posted:

It's a lot harder for me to pay attention when the dialogue is in Japanese. I usually try and translate in my head, which can be distracting. It's just much easier with it in English.

I'm actually the opposite. I took Japanese classes a long time ago and I often find myself translating (with some context clues) without even thinking about it and skipping over the subtitles all together. It's kind of cool to be able to pick up on phrases and stuff from a language I haven't really been exposed to in over a decade.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You know, I don't often notice individual tracks of music from DW games, they all kind of run together in my head, but just Wang Yi's is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStcfKl8EbU

Also she is bitter as gently caress in one of the Wu alternate stages, where she is up against all the Wu wives. She says to Liangshi something like "I hate that look on your face, it's the look of someone who still thinks she can protect the people she loves".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know, I don't often notice individual tracks of music from DW games, they all kind of run together in my head, but just Wang Yi's is pretty badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vStcfKl8EbU

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. Her stage in 7XL (which has this music) was the first time outside of Ken's Rage that I actually thought a song was remarkable in a Koei game. Gundam original songs not withstanding.