Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Apparently the WiiU gamer SN thread is dead, since nobody has added me back :smith: somebody add me (rogsalmon) just so I can see what the multiplayer experience is like!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
It is for situations like this where I hope miiverse gets some steam style multiplayer function with those custom miiverse groups Nintendo was talking about. It's much easier to join a group on steam and just talk/play randomly with people in that group than to attempt to make a friending thread functionally efficient.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of headsets/microphones are compatible with Wii U for voice chat? I'm thinking any single connector headset will work, but what audio port, exactly, does the Wii U use? 2.5mm? 3.5mm?

Bonus point for anyone that can recommend a cheap (say 19.99 or less) headset that they KNOW will work with the Wii U (already using it on Blops or other multiplayer game that supports voice).

Thanks for the advice.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

SyHopeful posted:

Apparently the WiiU gamer SN thread is dead, since nobody has added me back :smith: somebody add me (rogsalmon) just so I can see what the multiplayer experience is like!

They don't have to add you back if you do it through Miiverse, they only have to confirm you as a friend. Read the first post of that thread.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Kiggles posted:

Can anyone give me an idea of what sort of headsets/microphones are compatible with Wii U for voice chat? I'm thinking any single connector headset will work, but what audio port, exactly, does the Wii U use? 2.5mm? 3.5mm?

Bonus point for anyone that can recommend a cheap (say 19.99 or less) headset that they KNOW will work with the Wii U (already using it on Blops or other multiplayer game that supports voice).

Thanks for the advice.

You can use any regular headphones with it. I'm unsure if it's compatible with a headset with a mic. It may not even need it as there's a mic already in the GamePad. For the Pro controller, there are no other inputs other than the USB charging port.

Edit: Ah, looks like you can't use the built-in mic outside of the video chat stuff according to this. You can use a regular 3.5mm headset with inline mic though.

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Mar 12, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Kiggles posted:

Thanks for the advice.

This is the official one

http://www.amazon.com/Turtle-Headse...tle+beach+wii+u

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Do the voice-compatible games support Wii speak?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So I just noticed something as I was doing my system registration on Club Nintendo. Apparently the Wii U doesn't get the same 3-month extension on the warranty as the Wii and 3DS get? Why? :psyduck:

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No. Nintendo officially stopped supporting Wii Speak a long time ago, they even made a few devs remove Wii Speak functionality from some of their Wii games.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Edit: Ah, looks like you can't use the built-in mic outside of the video chat stuff according to this. You can use a regular 3.5mm headset with inline mic though.

Excellent, thank you very much for helping me pull this up. Seeing it's IGN, I probably could've found this with a little more googlefu, but this is answers my questions exactly. Thanks again. You're my hero. :blush:

Almost Smart
Sep 14, 2001

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway. when you had sex with me and that monkey

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So I just noticed something as I was doing my system registration on Club Nintendo. Apparently the Wii U doesn't get the same 3-month extension on the warranty as the Wii and 3DS get? Why? :psyduck:

I'll go out on a :tinfoil: limb and suggest it's because Nintendo knows the Wii U isn't quite as fit and fiddle as their other systems. I haven't gotten many hardlocks with my system, but the last time I had an issue with a piece of Nintendo hardware I resolved it by blowing into the cartridge.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I just remembered that next week we actually have games coming out! It's kind of a weird feeling to be excited that your console has, you know, games about to release. Next week we get:

- Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate
- Lego City Undercover
- Need for Speed: Most Wanted
- The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
- The Croods: Prehistoric Party

So that should be the biggest game week since launch, correct? Though the only previously unreleased, exclusive game is Lego City Undercover, at least MH and NfS actually promise new material (MH obviously getting the most added), and two multiplatform licensed games, one of which might actually be playable. The only real, big release these games are up against is Gears of War: Judgment, which I haven't heard a ton about, but I guess somewhere some people might be excited about a Gears prequel sans Cliffy B. Maybe people will actually buy a Wii U in March?

I won't have a ton of money, but I will probably end up being compelled to put Lego Saints Row/GTA on my credit card, bearing that it doesn't get just completely poo poo on by word of mouth (I've tempered my expectations since Jeff from Giant Bomb reported hearing not great things about it). I guess if Lego does end up being a piece of trash, I'll look at either NfS or MH, leaning towards NfS between those two, though.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You can use any regular headphones with it. I'm unsure if it's compatible with a headset with a mic. It may not even need it as there's a mic already in the GamePad. For the Pro controller, there are no other inputs other than the USB charging port.

This says that you can use a 360 headset. Has anybody tested that? Because that would be legit awesome.

e: I've also heard that even if you use the Pro controller, you still have to run your mic through the GamePad which is :lol:.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Mar 12, 2013

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm not much for racing games but I NfS does actually look like a lot of fun. And then I'm definitely going to pick up Lego City too. You're right, it IS nice to be excited to have SOMETHING coming out on the system.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Soul Glo posted:

This says that you can use a 360 headset. Has anybody tested that? Because that would be legit awesome.

e: I've also heard that even if you use the Pro controller, you still have to run your mic through the GamePad which is :lol:.

Update: 360 plug does not fit into the headphone jack, have no idea why that article says that it does. I guess there's no way to avoid buying that $50 Turtle Beach set if you wanna talk to people over Monster Hunter, which sucks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soul Glo posted:

Update: 360 plug does not fit into the headphone jack, have no idea why that article says that it does. I guess there's no way to avoid buying that $50 Turtle Beach set if you wanna talk to people over Monster Hunter, which sucks.

It was 35 in the link...

Also what's stopping you from using and inline mic earbuds?

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
Got a question for slightly more Wii-U knowledgeable goons. First one is about the E-shop. When buying something, what address are we suppose to enter in when we're asked? I assume this is for taxing purposes, so I'm worried answering incorrectly would possibly lead to trouble down the line. I ask because my home address is in one place, but I am sometimes visiting or living in another state for a time. I also need to know because bought Mighty Switch Force when it was on sale a while back (I just entered the address I was currently at), and will probably be buying MH3U through the e-shop come next week.

Second question, what's the word on the overscan issue? I'm using an old HDTV (That actually still looks amazing and can output in 1080p), but has no overscan option. So a good chunk of the screen is cut off on everything wii-u related.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
I could use some help figuring out if I can plug a NA Wii U power supply into a simple universal power adapter (250V, 10A) that will go into an Australian outlet. I don't know anything about power stuff. I could just buy an Australian power supply (they told me it was $55) but obviously it would be easier if I could use what I have on hand. Any insight?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Bombadilillo posted:

It was 35 in the link...

Also what's stopping you from using and inline mic earbuds?

Didn't follow the link as I actually saw that box set at Best Buy on Sunday and saw the price there.

I wonder if the iPhone ear buds/microphone combo would actually work. Is that the kind of thing you're alluding to? The only voice chat stuff I've used are USB sets and the default Xbox sets that comes with consoles, and that weird controller insert mic that was on the Dreamcast.

It seems so silly that they would include a microphone and speakers on the controller but not let you use them for multiplayer chat.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

They started marketing Lego City Undercover! Saw a commercial tonight and at the end it goes "Only on the NEW Nintendo WiiU!" Perhaps more people will know it exists?? One can only hope. :ohdear:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Soul Glo posted:

It seems so silly that they would include a microphone and speakers on the controller but not let you use them for multiplayer chat.

The mic can be used for multiplayer chat, it all depends on if the developers implement it or not. Monster Hunter supports it and I think someone mentioned Mass Effect did as well.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

The unfortunate thing about leaving developers able to make use of all the wonderful gadgets and options it that they are also free to ignore it.

Around Halloween last year all the tech blogs and gaming sites were reporting the Wii U either had no voice support, or couldn't use the mic, or couldn't use USB headsets, or couldn't use wireless headsets, or couldn't use the 3.5mm jack during gameplay, or... you get the idea. Developer X said that Game Y wouldn't use Feature Z, so games journalism happened.

Check out articles from then, it's all "Nintendo spoils voice chat," "Wii U will only allow voice chat for some games," "Nintendo has a baffling solution to chat." The way writers reacted to giving developers options, you'd almost think Nintendo had just announced giving consumers the option to use literally any USB storage solution or something equally damning.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Soul Glo posted:

Didn't follow the link as I actually saw that box set at Best Buy on Sunday and saw the price there.

I wonder if the iPhone ear buds/microphone combo would actually work. Is that the kind of thing you're alluding to? The only voice chat stuff I've used are USB sets and the default Xbox sets that comes with consoles, and that weird controller insert mic that was on the Dreamcast.

I know I use my standard earbuds connected to the gamepad for sound during offtv play. It also does accept that inline mic. Cannot confirm something stupid like game specific restrictions since I don't own any multiplayer games.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Guys is my American Wii U going to blow up when I plug it in in Australia or what

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Guys is my American Wii U going to blow up when I plug it in in Australia or what

Just turn the WiiU upside down, you'll be fine.

note: not actually advice

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Whatever advice you're given, be sure to videotape plugging it in just in case and then post it on YouTube with the title: "WII U BLOWS UP WHEN TRYING TO PLAY AN ADULT GAME LOL"

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Whatever advice you're given, be sure to videotape plugging it in just in case and then post it on YouTube with the title: "WII U BLOWS UP WHEN TRYING TO PLAY AN ADULT GAME LOL"

I would, but adult games simply disintegrate when brought into proximity of a Wii U.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Trip report: The voltage limitations printed on the power supply are all LIES. Found out in SHSC that this is just a tactic to prevent imports. I powered up and was playing Nintendo Land on my American Wii U in Australia without issue. So go ahead and import from the US, ozzies, it will save you heaps. Putting this in the OP as always.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Trip report: The voltage limitations printed on the power supply are all LIES. Found out in SHSC that this is just a tactic to prevent imports. I powered up and was playing Nintendo Land on my American Wii U in Australia without issue. So go ahead and import from the US, ozzies, it will save you heaps. Putting this in the OP as always.

I'd honestly still be wary because for extended periods of play is usualy when the voltage difference takes it's toll.

It costs like 50 cents to get a converter head for an outlet.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

WendigoJohnson posted:

I'd honestly still be wary because for extended periods of play is usualy when the voltage difference takes it's toll.

It costs like 50 cents to get a converter head for an outlet.

Should have posted the link. Someone actually took the console and Gamepad power supplies apart and found the true voltage level marked on the inside.
http://www.ign.com/blogs/chuck0latte/2012/12/12/wii-u-power-adapters-usa-are-actually-universal-100-250vac-dual-voltage

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Anyone who has purchased anything Wii U software on the eshop, how does the licensing work? Is the purchase tied to an eshop account? Is it tied to the Wii U it was purchased from? A little from column A, and a little from column B?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Kiggles posted:

Anyone who has purchased anything Wii U software on the eshop, how does the licensing work? Is the purchase tied to an eshop account? Is it tied to the Wii U it was purchased from? A little from column A, and a little from column B?

Currently purchases made on the Wii U are tied to the console. I believe they are talking about allowing access to the Wii U shop from cell phones and whatnot, so maybe when that happens they move to an account system possibly.

As long as you don't sell or trade in your Wii U, there's usually a way to make sure you keep your digital content.

Edit: In case you just got your Wii U, make sure you register it on Club Nintendo. You earn coins that can be used for virtual console games in Wii mode or other physical items. For example if you register your Wii U, you can currently get Super Punch-Out for snes or Mario Tenis for N64 and these games change every month.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 12, 2013

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Dawnfire posted:

Second question, what's the word on the overscan issue? I'm using an old HDTV (That actually still looks amazing and can output in 1080p), but has no overscan option. So a good chunk of the screen is cut off on everything wii-u related.

I have the exact same overscan issue, the WiiU actually lets you fix this, but only on an app to app basis. Hopefully the next update should sort this out and let you fix it globally.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
I know not a lot of games have come out so far, but I'm still trying to catch up with the backlog of launch games. I've been playing Nintendoland, Sonic Racing and Batman and all of these games have so much content. I still want to get NSMBU and ZombiU before NFS, Wonderful 101 and Pikmin 3. The WiiU's library is currently limited but it's really strong.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is anyone else disheartened by the news that Miyamoto is working on Pikmin cartoons and he wants to finish those before releasing Pikmin 3? It's like, who's running the show over there where they think working on non interactive cartoons is a good use of their top developer's time?

It's nice Miyamoto gets to do fun things he likes, but is this seriously a factor in Pikmin 3's delay?(I'm guessing probably not literally, just Miyamoto's typical enthusiasm coming across that way in translation)

StevenM
Nov 6, 2011

greatn posted:

Is anyone else disheartened by the news that Miyamoto is working on Pikmin cartoons and he wants to finish those before releasing Pikmin 3? It's like, who's running the show over there where they think working on non interactive cartoons is a good use of their top developer's time?

Maybe they're trying to increase brand awareness, thinking that if more people were aware of the game they'd buy it rather than give it a miss.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

greatn posted:

It's nice Miyamoto gets to do fun things he likes, but is this seriously a factor in Pikmin 3's delay?(I'm guessing probably not literally, just Miyamoto's typical enthusiasm coming across that way in translation)

Isn't he mostly an adviser and name on most projects by now?

A lot of the Iwata Asks interviews over the last few years of Mario games made it sound like the teams work on their own and then show things to him afterwards. Or just ask him for approval beforehand on really broad things.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

If I recall, isn't Miyamoto slowly winding down and preparing the Nintendo teams for his eventual retirement? I figure at this point Nintendo of Japan just lets him do whatever at the office.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Policenaut posted:

If I recall, isn't Miyamoto slowly winding down and preparing the Nintendo teams for his eventual retirement? I figure at this point Nintendo of Japan just lets him do whatever at the office.

No, he's still going strong. That was something mistranslated a while ago, and the clarification was that he just wants them ready and able to do things on their own because he knows he can't be there forever.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, he's still going strong. That was something mistranslated a while ago, and the clarification was that he just wants them ready and able to do things on their own because he knows he can't be there forever.

At least not until the technology is perfected and robo-lord miyamoto rules nintendo with an iron fist, as he first envisioned when he started work on the failed popeye game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Latest gameinformer includes a Lego City Undercover review. Said a lot of positive things about it, gave it an 8.5. That's some good news, at least. Bias or not.

• Locked thread