Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Fister Roboto posted:

Sunset Invasion is going to be INCREDIBLE when Old Gods comes out because paradox confirmed that you'll be able to play as an Aztec character.

Sold. Gonna conquer the hell out of Spain :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I'm playing Afghanistan in APD and I just lost Horse Artillery and Regulars after Westernizing. I don't even... :psyduck:

You have to save and reload. It's annoying but easily fixable.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

To dig up the old conversation about a Red Mars game, this seems to be pretty close. Paradox should jump on this, because it'll be a cold day in hell before a product this niche raises $700k in a month. It seems like the kind of interesting niche strategy game that's right up their alley.

This is somewhat related to that idea, but an idea mentioned in this thread before was Paradox making an EU fantasy or scifi grand strategy game. So like instead of playing as the kingdom of Spain or the Soviet Union, I play as the Orc Commune and fight against the Snakeman Empire, or instead of playing as a feudal lord in Europe I play as a feudal lord in one corner of Mars or HD 85512 b or something, and have to defend from alien horde invasions. It could be pretty sweet :v:.

quote:

*edit*
I'd use Lucky Nations more if it wasn't a total lie. It only chooses lucky nations from a small list of European nations. You're not going to see a lucky Sibir or Ashanti or Cherokee, which is disappointing.

Yeah, one thing I hope if Paradox keeps lucky nations in EUIV is that
1) ANY nation on earth can end up lucky. Even if the random selection is biased towards Europeans, at least have it be possible for non-Europeans to be lucky (like it's okay if 6 of the 8 lucky nations are Europeans, that's not the end of the world, but there should be at least a few non-Eruopean lucky nations) and
2) If possible, have nations that exist as cores but are not independent be lucky. Kinda odd idea I had but let's take Ruthenia for example which I hardly ever see form in my games and say RUT becomes a lucky nation. In this case, Ruthenian nationalists and patriots are stronger, revolt more often, and the MTTH for them succeeding is a tad bit faster. Obviously nothing too crazy so a Poland or Lithuania player doesn't end up losing huge chunks of land because 5 Ruthenian patriots just wiped out the Commonwealth army, but enough so the AI will more than likely lose Ruthenia.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

DrProsek posted:

Yeah, one thing I hope if Paradox keeps lucky nations in EUIV is that
1) ANY nation on earth can end up lucky. Even if the random selection is biased towards Europeans, at least have it be possible for non-Europeans to be lucky (like it's okay if 6 of the 8 lucky nations are Europeans, that's not the end of the world, but there should be at least a few non-Eruopean lucky nations) and
2) If possible, have nations that exist as cores but are not independent be lucky. Kinda odd idea I had but let's take Ruthenia for example which I hardly ever see form in my games and say RUT becomes a lucky nation. In this case, Ruthenian nationalists and patriots are stronger, revolt more often, and the MTTH for them succeeding is a tad bit faster. Obviously nothing too crazy so a Poland or Lithuania player doesn't end up losing huge chunks of land because 5 Ruthenian patriots just wiped out the Commonwealth army, but enough so the AI will more than likely lose Ruthenia.

I want them to expand lucky nations into a full "the rise and fall of empires mechanic"
Pick 8 lucky nations from among the medium and minor powers.
If one of them becomes a great power it loses lucky status and another nation gets it.
The player obviously never gets lucky status because he already has the best bonus possible.

That is how you make paradox games more dynamic.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Here's what I'm talking about with APD:

Nine god drat maneuver. What does that even mean? If you're familiar with EU3 combat, you know that cavalry units get 2 maneuver, which allows them to attack units two spaces to the left or right (infantry can only attack one space to the left or right). This is why everyone tells you to always have four cavalry units in your armies. But what does nine maneuver mean? Well obviously it means the hussar can attack nine spaces to the left or right! Basically the only time that's ever going to factor into a battle is if you vastly outnumber your enemy, in which case you don't actually need the hussars to win. Great idea, APD guys!

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Here's what I'm talking about with APD:

Nine god drat maneuver. What does that even mean? If you're familiar with EU3 combat, you know that cavalry units get 2 maneuver, which allows them to attack units two spaces to the left or right (infantry can only attack one space to the left or right). This is why everyone tells you to always have four cavalry units in your armies. But what does nine maneuver mean? Well obviously it means the hussar can attack nine spaces to the left or right! Basically the only time that's ever going to factor into a battle is if you vastly outnumber your enemy, in which case you don't actually need the hussars to win. Great idea, APD guys!

More often than not i'm outnumbered in APD, since it's trivially easy to max out the entire techtree in it while the computer is 20 years behind due to how they changed the research formula!

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Also, APD's railroad terrain stuff is completely broken. The bunch of new terrain types are kind of neat, but not when maybe 1/10th of them can support any railroad at all.

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

I want them to expand lucky nations into a full "the rise and fall of empires mechanic"
If one of them becomes a great power it loses lucky status and another nation gets it.
The player obviously never gets lucky status because he already has the best bonus possible.

I think there would need to be some kind of Waning Empire mechanic on top of this to make it harder for the largest nations to maintain power. Actually, this can already be put into EU3. We know what benefits a lucky nation gets, so this can all be done by managing some country modifiers.

*edit*
This is the objectively best Vicky 2 mod :colbert:

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 12, 2013

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

I think there would need to be some kind of Waning Empire mechanic on top of this to make it harder for the largest nations to maintain power. Actually, this can already be put into EU3. We know what benefits a lucky nation gets, so this can all be done by managing some country modifiers.

*edit*
This is the objectively best Vicky 2 mod :colbert:

Well for one, losing lucky nation on hitting great power is -kinda relevant- in helping the empire fall as it now has to stand on it's own merits.

Also "punish people for being big" mechanics are kinda boring, and i'd much rather have things monarch points that naturally spread the player thin, and internal factional politics that become more encompassing and demanding as you grow larger encouraging empires to look inward to maintain stability. (Which would solve the constant problems paradox games have with china, proper internal politics combined with stuff like monarch points would mean china wouldn't be able to meaningfully look outward, china is -busy-.)

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Ooh that would be kinda loving awesome. It would need to be paired with an AI that is capable of running a great power even once it abruptly loses lucky nation status (so say Burgundy manages to capitalize on being a lucky nation, and a war where England steamrolls France causing Burgundy to absorb much of southern France and becoming a great power themselves. Assuming neither France nor any of the minor French nations get lucky nation from Burgundy, Burgundy should be able to hold its poo poo together at least well enough so that barring any bad events like a peasant war or the reformation hitting them hard, they stay a great power), and also discounts on westernization for nonwestern nations, so that if say the Cherokee become lucky they have a chance of one day growing big enough to lose lucky status (although you could also do this by instead of comparing them to western nations, see if they are in the top 8 nations OR the top nation on their continent overall to determine if they need to pass it on).

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 12, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
Ideally the lucky mechanic would be exported to some sort of triggered modifier so you could do all sorts of things with it. Add or remove it dynamically, give it 20 nations at once, tweak the bonuses, etc etc.

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

DrProsek posted:

This is somewhat related to that idea, but an idea mentioned in this thread before was Paradox making an EU fantasy or scifi grand strategy game. So like instead of playing as the kingdom of Spain or the Soviet Union, I play as the Orc Commune and fight against the Snakeman Empire, or instead of playing as a feudal lord in Europe I play as a feudal lord in one corner of Mars or HD 85512 b or something, and have to defend from alien horde invasions. It could be pretty sweet :v:.

I don't know what the red mars discussion was but there was a game being developed recently called Red Shift which seemed like essentially an eu3 in space. The dev got in over his head and cancelled the project but it had the best setting and I'd love to see someone do it. It was basically near future earth with an alt history beginning to colonise the solar system.

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

People on the paradox forums are whining that the possible existence of a random new world dlc would break their immersion.

ParadoxForumMember posted:

This discussion again? Ah, ok. I have to say that I hate this idea. Please don't meddle with my plate tectonics. I mean, there are reasons why landmasses are where they are, that vegetation, climate zones, topography and landscapes are the way they are. You cannot just 'randomise' the distribution of landmasses and expect a reasonable, logically consistent New World.

I think this opinion is hilariously narrowminded and one could argue that a random new world actually increases realism as you won't know where to go or whether to go at all. Tectonics be damned!

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Jean Pony posted:

I think this opinion is hilariously narrowminded and one could argue that a random new world actually increases realism as you won't know where to go or whether to go at all. Tectonics be damned!

Agreed sod plate tectonics.
Discovering an unknown new world would possibly make colonization interesting rather than "Take mexico, the carbbieans, and the 13 colonies, yep done." all that talk about realism, but you know when that's all you ever want to colonize it's pretty unrealistic.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

PleasingFungus posted:

Tweaking a "stability" vs "trade & tech" slider, in addition to the more advanced trade route manipulation/dominance mechanics that are actually coming in EU4.

...honestly, this could plausibly be moddable.
You wouldn't need a slider really, not for the player at least. Just have higher volumes of trade cause more instability, while also increasing tech gain.

Jean Pony posted:

I don't think you can convincingly argue that it increases realism. What you can argue though is that it increases immersion, by putting the player in the shoes of people who did not know what the New World looked like. A different focus, and one that I do agree is a valid one. (As an option of course.)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Jean Pony posted:

This discussion again? Ah, ok. I have to say that I hate this idea. Please don't meddle with my plate tectonics. I mean, there are reasons why landmasses are where they are, that vegetation, climate zones, topography and landscapes are the way they are. You cannot just 'randomise' the distribution of landmasses and expect a reasonable, logically consistent New World.

Arguably, there are enough reasons why ANYTHING is the way it is if you look closely enough that pretty much anything other than a history slideshow would be breaking the idea of a reasonable, logically consistent world.

Or at least, if not a slideshow, a visual novel where you spend most of your time reading dialogue about Spain-kun and the emerging romance with Austria-sempai before very occasionally making a choice out of two of three options before it's back to the endless dialogue.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

IMO a random new world DLC would be the best way to negate the player's advantage. As a European colonial country you wouldn't plunge straight for South America if you didn't know exactly where it was and that it was rich as hell. Maybe you get stuck with the New World equivalent of West Africa, maybe you run into a land of sheep and spend 200 years finding only wool. It's by far the best idea for improving replayability.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Jean Pony posted:

Jesus christ, I can't believe I'm actually reading somebody say that they're opposed to an official random world generator for Paradox games (assuming that's actually what the discussion was about).

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

Defeatist Elitist posted:

Jesus christ, I can't believe I'm actually reading somebody say that they're opposed to an official random world generator for Paradox games (assuming that's actually what the discussion was about).

Yes, that's what it's about.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Also, APD's railroad terrain stuff is completely broken. The bunch of new terrain types are kind of neat, but not when maybe 1/10th of them can support any railroad at all.

I wish there were separate trackers for the technological level of infrastructure in a province and how widespread it is. Maybe have the railroad level measure level of coverage and have inventions for various railroad technologies? It would certainly make that branch of the tech tree more exciting.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Two questions - On the App Store Hearts of Iron III Collection, where do I find my CD Key?
and secondly:
Whenever I use Black ICE TFH I get a ctd on the loading screen where it says "loading events". I have replaced my cache and applied the hotfix as well as TFH patch 4.02. Apparently I'm supposed to run clear.exe or .bat, but I'm on a mac and don't know what to do.

Does anyone know how to get this mod working on a Mac?

Jean Pony
Nov 27, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I don't think you can convincingly argue that it increases realism. What you can argue though is that it increases immersion, by putting the player in the shoes of people who did not know what the New World looked like. A different focus, and one that I do agree is a valid one. (As an option of course.)

Yeah, that's what I meant.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You wouldn't need a slider really, not for the player at least. Just have higher volumes of trade cause more instability, while also increasing tech gain.

Right, the role of the player would be to create or close trade routes with countries that have access to the techs they want. So, for example, if you have X amount of trade volume with a certain neighboring country, it increases the tech growth in areas that they have that are higher than yours by +0.0X a month or what have you. I think that'd be a lot more interesting, because there's something more than just abstract boxes to check or whatever, something where you can interact with the map and other countries. So you could cut off trade to try to monopolize techs that you have an advantage in, but it'd have disadvantages in decreasing income and decreasing the chances of you getting other advances.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Defeatist Elitist posted:

NOW who's racist, somethingawful?! Hrrrrrmmm?

quote:

This. Also, suggesting the idea in the OP in the first place is incredibly Eurocentric and insulting to the Americans. They are just as a valid playable countries as the Europeans one, not some second rate nobodies who can be randomized away into oblivion.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Antinumeric posted:

But 99% of the stuff that happens in these games falls solidly into unplausible.

Unless you think that the Grand Duchy of Lithuania being conquered by 1100 is plausible, or Wales conquering the British Isles, or Brittany landing a few troops in the Holy Land on a crusade and turning it into the Merchant Republic of Jerusalem. I remember how the Finns trembled at the thought of the Sami reforming into the feudal system and conquering Scandanivia. It seemed so plausible.

Or the 1400 start of EU3 and the people who return the ERE from the brink.
Which as has been stated isn't intentional. Paradox strives for some form of historical plausibility even if they miss the mark most of the time. Some mods are pretty good at it however.

Guildencrantz posted:

But Sunset Invasion was firmly in the latter camp and had no pretensions of being anywhere near the former :confused:
Sure, I'm just saying why people don't like it even though they like other forms of alternate history (ie playing paradox games in general). It's because they are different things. They really shouldn't be getting hilariously mad at it's existence though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think I'd ever use a random world generator, since for me, having foreknowledge of the New World's geography has never been too immersion breaking for me. When I play a paradox game I always feel more like I'm an omniscient deity that has chosen to guide a certain nation (or dynasty) along its path. So to me it's more like I already know about the New World (because I'm God), and I'm all "hey guys, you should really send some boats out across the Atlantic, there's some pretty cool stuff over there probably".

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't think I'd ever use a random world generator, since for me, having foreknowledge of the New World's geography has never been too immersion breaking for me. When I play a paradox game I always feel more like I'm an omniscient deity that has chosen to guide a certain nation (or dynasty) along its path. So to me it's more like I already know about the New World (because I'm God), and I'm all "hey guys, you should really send some boats out across the Atlantic, there's some pretty cool stuff over there probably".

I think it adds a lot of fun replayability and uncertainty. I played one game recently where I was able to hunt out a narrow northwest passage, a game where 'America' stretched from pole to pole and there was no way to circumnavigate by boat, and a game where the western hemisphere was large scattered islands like Australia/Madagascar without any big continental mass. All of those scenarios changed my plans/focus and it was fun to discover the New World rather than just head to the same places I'd already colonized in a hundred previous games.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*edit*
I'd use Lucky Nations more if it wasn't a total lie. It only chooses lucky nations from a small list of European nations. You're not going to see a lucky Sibir or Ashanti or Cherokee, which is disappointing.

I just copy the bonuses granted by Lucky Nations and paste it onto the global AI bonuses from difficulty level.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

gradenko_2000 posted:

I just copy the bonuses granted by Lucky Nations and paste it onto the global AI bonuses from difficulty level.

I think they do get some sort of hidden/hard-coded bonuses as well, although maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, for me at least, EU3 already gives me a ton of replayability just from the sheer variety of starting nations and time periods to choose. If I really wanted random factors thrown in, I'd play Civ 4. That's not to say it's a terrible idea, just that I understand why people wouldn't want paradox devoting resources to it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fintilgin posted:

I think they do get some sort of hidden/hard-coded bonuses as well, although maybe I'm remembering wrong.
Not so hidden when lucky nations generally get leaders with better stats than 7/7/7.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Since Crusader Kings 2 was released, I haven't played EU3 at all. The random world mod makes me want to pick it up again.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

*edit*
Lucky nations being truly random would be pretty useless. Enjoy having most of the lucky nations being European OPMs that do nothing except maybe trading a bit before being conquered :v:

e; Random lucky nations being heavily biased to make Byzantium lucky is pretty drat Paradox though.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Mar 12, 2013

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Kainser posted:

Lucky nations being truly random would be pretty useless. Enjoy having most of the lucky nations being European OPMs that do nothing except maybe trading a bit before being conquered :v:

e; Random lucky nations being heavily biased to make Byzantium lucky is pretty drat Paradox though.

With Random lucky nations however, anyone that is annexed with that flag gets the lucky flag themselves. If they already have it, it goes to the weighted pool of nations to find the next lucky tag.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

QuoProQuid posted:

Since Crusader Kings 2 was released, I haven't played EU3 at all. The random world mod makes me want to pick it up again.

It's actually kind of tough to go back to it now. You boot it up and think 'ugh, did I really spend so much time looking at this?'

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
It's hard to motivate myself to get back into EU3 because my last game as Byzantium was ruined by success. Through marriage or conquest I controlled France, England, Southeastern Europe, Arabia, Persia, Southern Italy, and the East coast of America. The only significant power outside of my influence was the HRE, and I just couldn't figure it out. How the hell do I crack that nut without taking a thousand years? I mean, could send a giant wave of legions from literally every direction and run over them, but the BB would turn my game into a nightmare of micromanagement.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Shorter Than Some posted:

I don't know what the red mars discussion was but there was a game being developed recently called Red Shift which seemed like essentially an eu3 in space. The dev got in over his head and cancelled the project but it had the best setting and I'd love to see someone do it. It was basically near future earth with an alt history beginning to colonise the solar system.
That's what it was! I was looking forward to that game so drat much.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does anyone still have an EUIII Chronicles (that's the most complete version, correct?) steam code from that amazon sale a while back? I've finally united Ireland in CK2 and want to see this through. And I also want to understand how this loving game works before EUIV.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

JGBeagle posted:

Does anyone still have an EUIII Chronicles (that's the most complete version, correct?) steam code from that amazon sale a while back? I've finally united Ireland in CK2 and want to see this through. And I also want to understand how this loving game works before EUIV.

sent you a PM.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

V for Vegas posted:

sent you a PM.

Thanks! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

To dig up the old conversation about a Red Mars game, this seems to be pretty close. Paradox should jump on this, because it'll be a cold day in hell before a product this niche raises $700k in a month. It seems like the kind of interesting niche strategy game that's right up their alley.

*edit*

That actually looks like it would be pretty awesome, I doubt they'll even come close to raising their funding goal but at the same time I really hope they do.

Also, is there a guide anywhere for converting a scenario from EU3 to Vicky 2? I spent a good long game building Mega-Byzantium and now I want to carry the game over into the V2 era, play as some other world power and destroy Mega-Byzantium.

• Locked thread