Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LAY-ZX posted:

Boos are clearly ghosts because their houses are called Ghost Houses. :colbert:

They are ghost houses because of the Eeries, which are dead baby yoshis. Source: FamousGhosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Y-Hat posted:

I remember the original Super Mario Bros. instruction manual saying that Goombas were Mushroom Kingdom traitors who joined Bowser's army.
Indeed! That's some bizarre Original Sin-style background they wanted to put in with Goombas but I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

Clearbrook
Sep 2, 2011

SWAG

FinalGamer posted:

Indeed! That's some bizarre Original Sin-style background they wanted to put in with Goombas but I don't think anyone really cares anymore.

Getting turned into chestnut people still sounds like a pretty bad curse. I seem to remember getting transformed into some cursed form happening in one of the RPG games before.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

I remember the original Super Mario Bros. instruction manual saying that Goombas were Mushroom Kingdom traitors who joined Bowser's army.

Didn't that also say that Bowser used magic to turn the Mushroom Retainers (when I was a kid and basically didn't know English I thought it meant containers and I was so confused) into bricks and powerups? You know, the thing that Mario breaks and eats all game.
poo poo was messed up.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Geemer posted:

Didn't that also say that Bowser used magic to turn the Mushroom Retainers (when I was a kid and basically didn't know English I thought it meant containers and I was so confused) into bricks and powerups? You know, the thing that Mario breaks and eats all game.
poo poo was messed up.

There's conflicting stories with that. One said what you said, another said that the Toads were inside the bricks, and rewarded Mario/Luigi with coins or power-ups for freeing them from the blocks (off screen of course).

shinmai
Oct 9, 2007

CHK Instruction

Geemer posted:

(when I was a kid and basically didn't know English I thought it meant containers and I was so confused)
I'll be completely honest here, I had to google that poo poo to find out what Mushroom Retainers were, and why they aren't a fancy way of saying Mushroom Containers.

But wouldn't that mean that Mario was just bashing through and munching on Toads friends and family throughout the whole game? That's some grim poo poo, man.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Zebia posted:

There's conflicting stories with that. One said what you said, another said that the Toads were inside the bricks, and rewarded Mario/Luigi with coins or power-ups for freeing them from the blocks (off screen of course).

Freeing them from the blocks = freeing them from their mortal coil.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Might as well just post the relevant Brawl in the Family comic while we're still on the topic.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

He turned the toads into bricks, then used the bricks to build floating blocks. Simple.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Oh god if that's true, I feel so terrible I might have to go back and do a "No casualties" runthrough of Super Mario World et al and break as few bricks as possible. :(

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Oh god if that's true, I feel so terrible I might have to go back and do a "No casualties" runthrough of Super Mario World et al and break as few bricks as possible. :(

Those were Dinosaur Land bricks. They were made from baby Yoshis. Totally different.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Clearbrook posted:

Getting turned into chestnut people still sounds like a pretty bad curse. I seem to remember getting transformed into some cursed form happening in one of the RPG games before.
Super Mario RPG had TWO such transformation curses as negative status effects. Scarecrow which allowed you to use magic and defend but not attack or use items. Mushroom leaves you COMPLETELY helpless but you restore HP every turn.

I find it wonderfully ironic.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
The only transformation that I can think of is Geno taking the form of Doll in Mario RPG.

And it just occurred to me that Geno might be a Luma.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

All I can think are the paper transformations in Thousand Year door v:v:v.

Ropnolc
Mar 7, 2013
I know some enemies in Super Mario Sunshine turn into floating blocks when Yoshi spits at them. Some of which even float upwards, though they disappear after a minute or so.
And Petey Piranha turns into... some kind of brown gunk when defeated.

Thankfully Sunshine was the only game where transformations were somewhat gross, to my knowledge at least.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Panzerschwein posted:

And it just occurred to me that Geno might be a Luma.

If there was a Luma who introduced himself as ♥♪!? and never did anything else he would be my favorite character.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

LAY-ZX posted:

If there was a Luma who introduced himself as ♥♪!? and never did anything else he would be my favorite character.

Oh wow. How did this not happen?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Geno is a Luma and nothing anyone says can refute it. :colbert:

So originally it was Bowser's King Koopa's magic that turned the people of the Mushroom Kingdom into bricks? Man, what happened? Back in the day he was an all-powerful sorcerer, now he's just a big dude who breathes fire and every now and then gets even bigger.

Can he still do magic? Or in his slothful indolence does he consider that beneath him, the debased charlatanry of Magikoopa and other minions?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mazed posted:

So originally it was Bowser's King Koopa's magic that turned the people of the Mushroom Kingdom into bricks? Man, what happened? Back in the day he was an all-powerful sorcerer, now he's just a big dude who breathes fire and every now and then gets even bigger.

Can he still do magic? Or in his slothful indolence does he consider that beneath him, the debased charlatanry of Magikoopa and other minions?

I want to answer your question so badly, but it would end with source: Mario wiki, so i'll instead say that it works better when magikoopa does the magic, tonewise.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Mazed posted:

Bowser clearly just expends his vast sorcerous might in really wasteful and ostentatious ways and is tapped out any given time he runs into Mario. Like all those Bowser worlds in 64, or by turning pointlessly giant when he's already much larger than Mario.

And I mean really it's not like he's actually trying to defeat Mario, it's like Dragonheart. Bowser 'kidnaps' the princess, she hits the beach for a few weeks, Mario 'defeats' him and 'rescues' her, and everyone wins. And by everyone I mean just the three of them, everyone else eats it in the shorts. Which, since it's a monarchy, is only to be expected.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Mazed posted:

In more recent times, he's been able to harness the power of gravity as well as teleportation as an escape method.

source: super mario galaxy.

Clearbrook
Sep 2, 2011

SWAG
It's not completely out of the realm of possibility that any magic bowser does has been though one of the several magic wands that have been in the games.

Heck, he might have once just been a normal person, tried to enhance his own power with magic. It ended up back firing and cursing himself and all his followers.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:
In super nerdy DnD terms, Bowser is horribly unoptimized as a caster. Instead of min-maxing in a proper manner, he made INT and WIS his dump stats, and as a result, he sucks at preparing/learning the right spells to use in any situation. You'd think that by now he's learned to pack something other than Fire Breath, Enlarge Person, and Dimension Door, or level in classes that would take advantage of his high STR, CON, and CHA levels, but no, he keeps making the same mistakes and getting stomped into the ground by Mario, Jumplomancer extraordinaire.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Also remember one of Bowser's on-again off-again minions is that koopa witch\wizard thing that flies around on a broomstick and dicks with you.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

dotchan posted:

In super nerdy DnD terms, Bowser is horribly unoptimized as a caster. Instead of min-maxing in a proper manner, he made INT and WIS his dump stats, and as a result, he sucks at preparing/learning the right spells to use in any situation. You'd think that by now he's learned to pack something other than Fire Breath, Enlarge Person, and Dimension Door, or level in classes that would take advantage of his high STR, CON, and CHA levels, but no, he keeps making the same mistakes and getting stomped into the ground by Mario, Jumplomancer extraordinaire.

I love you.

But seriously, Bowser has a legion of magikoopas. I doubt he himself does magic when he has Kamek and Kammy and all the other Koopas whose names presumably begin with "Kam" can do it. Though there was Super Mario 3 where all the Koopalings did magic but that seems to be from their magic wands because all the random kingdoms you go to are under the iron fisted rule of wizard kings.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

dotchan posted:

I barely played any DnD and yet I still understood that enough to laugh :neckbeard: brilliant.

Omnicrom posted:

But seriously, Bowser has a legion of magikoopas. I doubt he himself does magic when he has Kamek and Kammy and all the other Koopas whose names presumably begin with "Kam" can do it. Though there was Super Mario 3 where all the Koopalings did magic but that seems to be from their magic wands because all the random kingdoms you go to are under the iron fisted rule of wizard kings.
Bowser's pretty much been around magikoopas all his life, starting with Kamek who's been his vizier and godfather as a child, so while Bowser PROBABLY picked up on some magic, I don't think he actually knows HOW to use it unless he has some sort of wand. Remember that his times of greatest effective use in magic, he always had to use wands basically. Though he does love to hand that over more to his koopalings rather than himself. Maybe because he can't find a wand big enough for him?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It's almost like although Bowser knows how to use magic he doesn't actually have any innate magical power of his own so he needs to get the raw power from somewhere else like Stars or Wands to actually do any real magic.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Neruz posted:

It's almost like although Bowser knows how to use magic he doesn't actually have any innate magical power of his own so he needs to get the raw power from somewhere else like Stars or Wands to actually do any real magic.
Huh...yeah that actually kinda makes sense! You never see Magikoopas use-oh wait no hang on they DO use wands. Stars however...that's another matter altogether though Mario Galaxy 1 had that Magikoopa who had a Star INSIDE a wand for extra power. Maybe Magikoopas just use wands to help them FOCUS their magic better since they already have it innately, like an easy-to-use device for convenience among warlocks and warlords?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Do Mecha-Bowsers dream of electric yoshis?

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Man everyone forgetting smrpg , where square thought it would be funny to give the powerful summon magic from final fantasy to the pure brute strength guy. But more importantly he had a weapon that was just him throwing mario at enemies, and summoned stuff just by snapping his fingers. In short, who gives a poo poo Bowser is awesome.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

Tengames posted:

Man everyone forgetting smrpg , where square thought it would be funny to give the powerful summon magic from final fantasy to the pure brute strength guy. But more importantly he had a weapon that was just him throwing mario at enemies, and summoned stuff just by snapping his fingers. In short, who gives a poo poo Bowser is awesome.
Plus, he could pull out a mean haiku when in the right circumstances. :ocelot:

Perhaps in many ways, Bowser is like Mario far more than we could ever imagine. A jack of all trades, but perhaps a master...of one?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

FinalGamer posted:

Huh...yeah that actually kinda makes sense! You never see Magikoopas use-oh wait no hang on they DO use wands. Stars however...that's another matter altogether though Mario Galaxy 1 had that Magikoopa who had a Star INSIDE a wand for extra power. Maybe Magikoopas just use wands to help them FOCUS their magic better since they already have it innately, like an easy-to-use device for convenience among warlocks and warlords?

Presumably Magikoopers use the wands as a focus and can benefit from Stars just like Bowser can since Stars are clearly massive sources of near-unlimited magical energies. The wands the Magikoopas use probably don't have any actual magic in them on their own or Bowser would be able to use them, so they're probably just focuses or tools that help manipulate magical energies since presumably those wands are mass produced in Bowser's kingdom.

Of course if Bowser can get his hands on a magic wand that does actually have magical power in it or something else with magical power in it then he can make good use of it too, but unlike Magikoopas he needs to get his power from elsewhere.

It's like, Bowser is actually quite adept at magic and knows all kinds of really complex spells, but he has no innate mana regeneration with which to cast his spells, so he needs to drain other things like Stars for mana to cast his spells.

This also explains why he is capable of creating an entirely new universe, but only with the power of the Grand Star.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Sperg trap sprung, good lord. Keep them videos coming, this threads getting a tad nerdy.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.
I know it's not cannon but Bowser did use magic in the Mario anime.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

LateToTheParty posted:

OH GOD REVERSE REVERSE WHY DID I EVEN START TALKING ABOUT THIS I'M SORRY :gonk:

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

LateToTheParty posted:

That's it.

Line crossed :suicide:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Mario anime, you say??? Why, I've never heard of such a thing, please elaborate on it in great detail for the thread. :allears:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

LAY-ZX posted:

Mario anime, you say??? Why, I've never heard of such a thing, please elaborate on it in great detail for the thread. :allears:

I know this is sarcasm, but I feel like doing it anyway.

It was this one movie back in the 80's/early 90's with some long title like "THE DESPERATE MISSION TO RESCUE PRINCESS PEACH." Bowser, etc. came out of Mario's TV. The Mario Bros. were grocers. Mario didn't even get the credit for rescuing her, instead it was this new prince character who never showed up in anything else. Overall it was a pretty mediocre one-off thing with no real notable qualities.

Kinu Nishimura fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Mar 14, 2013

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

alcharagia posted:

I know this is sarcasm, but I feel like doing it anyway.

It was this one movie back in the 80's/early 90's with some long title like "THE DESPERATE MISSION TO RESCUE PRINCESS PEACH." Bowser, etc. came out of Mario's TV. The Mario Bros. were grocers. Mario didn't even get the credit for rescuing her, instead it was this new prince character who never showed up in anything else. Overall it was a pretty mediocre one-off thing with no real notable qualities.

Pretty much what alcharagia said. It is pretty mediocre but it is an interesting take on the (:sigh:I can't believe I'm going to say this) Mario mythos due the movie being made only a year after the release of Super Mario Brothers and Nintendo not having an established universe in the series. What I mean is that the movie had some weird interpretations of Super Mario Brothers such as Bowser being able to change into different forms due to magic, Koopas being giant for some reason, Lakitu's cloud being a weather machine, the power-ups being treated as sacred macguffins needed to save the day, and other weird poo poo. The movie is mostly known for being extremely rare due to having a limited VHS release in Japan and the movie was never ported onto DVD. You can find two versions of the movie on YouTube, one in Japanese with subtitles and the other is a somewhat decent English fan-dub of the movie.

:v: Fun fact: the guy who directed the Mario anime also co-directed Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland.

LateToTheParty fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Also Mario's stereotype was all over the place and in one scene if I recall he randomly had a poncho and sombrero and danced around firing guns.

• Locked thread