Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

JP Money posted:

Well that's only the rear. The front will be ~100-105 dollars. If they're offering 239 installed for front and rear that's not a terrible deal at all. If they're saying 239 for just the rear installed tell them to gently caress off and never go there again.

No that was just for the rear alone. Around my town it's this place or the harley shop. Don't really know what to do from there though. I've found them online but there's probably no way I can mount those myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I'd be inclined to tell that shop to gently caress off. That's double the price of the tire. You're positive they didn't mean that was for a set? That's like the price of a brand new race tire....

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Do you have stands? Many shops will charge a separate fee for on bike vs off bike installation. Many shops suck but some will mount for $20 a wheel if you bring in the wheels and tires.

You have to have stands to do that though. If you don't have the gear to do your own changes or take your wheels off you'll have to call around to anywhere that does it and bite the bullet ($$).

Paying for new tires is never fun but that first ride feels great.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

JP Money posted:

I'd be inclined to tell that shop to gently caress off. That's double the price of the tire. You're positive they didn't mean that was for a set? That's like the price of a brand new race tire....

Yeah, I had just replaced the front in early spring with them, which they still had on record (cost me $179.99 for a god drat front tire alone installed) but they really pretty much are the only game in town around here for probably half an hour plus one way ride time.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Rupaul where are you located? Like Spiffness said if you can google WERA, CMRA, etc boards or even local city motorcycle forums I guarantee someone can hook you up with some stands and they may even have a tire changer or know of a local shop that isn't well advertised.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

JP Money posted:

Rupaul where are you located? Like Spiffness said if you can google WERA, CMRA, etc boards or even local city motorcycle forums I guarantee someone can hook you up with some stands and they may even have a tire changer or know of a local shop that isn't well advertised.

Midvale Ohio, outside New Philadelphia. There's Apex Motorsports who are the dudes I went to, Adventure Harley, and Lehmans big open road which have to "special order" my stuff at extra cost.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's almost always cheaper to buy the tires yourself and just pay to have them mount em. Call them and ask them if you come in with two tires and a motorcycle how much it'll cost to mount em up. Should be like $60-80 for the goin' rate.

Then buy tires from motorcycle-superstore.com which is having a pretty big tire sale right now. PM me if you do, I have a 10% coupon I'm not going to use.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

RuPaul Levesque posted:

Midvale Ohio, outside New Philadelphia. There's Apex Motorsports who are the dudes I went to, Adventure Harley, and Lehmans big open road which have to "special order" my stuff at extra cost.

Go to action Suzuki in alliance. They're a great shop and usually pretty reasonable. Should be about 45-60 minutes from you. Or check out park Honda in canton on 62. It's a lot closer but more of a corporate store, but still they see a lot of bikes like ours. I'm near canton if you ever want to ride. I'm on a 2004 naked and ride with some pretty sensible guys.

kenny powerzzz fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 13, 2013

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice

sativa dreams posted:

I'm about to get my first motorcycle. I've always, always wanted an SV650 to start and am finally pulling the trigger. What do you guys think of this one?

http://orlando.craigslist.org/mcd/3642979055.html

Seems like a pretty good deal to me. Also the fact that the owner managed to type up a fairly detailed ad without any grammatical or spelling errors bodes well IMO. It also appears the bike may have been kept in a storage facility judging by the pictures, so it seems like its in pretty good shape.

Can't wait to join the club!

As long as it rides/looks fine, that's a good deal.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking too, however there are a few things that are making me slightly hesitant. I've been emailing back and forth with the seller
and that blue is NOT stock, which is obvious now that I look at it. It used to be yellow and I'm quoting the seller: "The bike used to be yellow and was painted blue just not professional quality. From one lane away (like if you are at a red light and a car pulls up next to you), to them the paint will look sweet but when you get up close to the bike, you can definitely see (and feel) the so so paint job but like I said, it gives the bike some character"

Also, I've asked him twice now if the bike has been dropped or in an accident and he has ignored that, but has been remarkably detailed in all other responses, including offering to cut the stock exhaust and put a baffle or muzzy can on that he has for free. The paint thing though and the studious avoidance of my asking about any accidents has me slightly hesitant.

And then.....this was posted today: http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2006-Suzuki-Sv650-109419966 This bike looks about as clean and well maintained as you can possibly get. I'm thinking it might be worth an extra $900. I prefer the windshield (or lack of) vs what is on the blue one immensely as well.

I guess I should probably just look at both, eh?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

JP Money posted:

I really love pilot powers for how cheap they are and how well they stick. 150's / 160's are like 120 bucks you just need to take it and get it mounted. In my opinion it's REALLY not worth saving maybe 10 or 20 dollars and buying some generic rear end tire when you can get tires as awesome as Powers for so cheap.

Seriously. You can ride a PP 2CT into A group.

Also, I wouldn't really put a new rider onto takeoffs. They take a bit longer to get warm and they have less grip than usual when they are cold. Plus the profile will make the bike DROP into corners. That said, I ride takeoffs.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

RuPaul Levesque posted:

^your posts/opinion I have no problem with whatsoever, and I'm inclined to take this advice, I just don't get what Karma is gaining by being a twat about it.

Because I don't want you to die like so many have before you because they wanted to skimp on tyres.

Also, mounting tyres should not cost more than ~40 bucks. In your case it might be even more beneficial to see if you can find a motorcycle dude in the area to show you how, or if you are adventurous find a bunch of youtubes and see how to do it yourself. We can help you with any questions if you decide do the latter.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

sativa dreams posted:

Thanks for the response. That is what I was thinking too, however there are a few things that are making me slightly hesitant. I've been emailing back and forth with the seller
and that blue is NOT stock, which is obvious now that I look at it. It used to be yellow and I'm quoting the seller: "The bike used to be yellow and was painted blue just not professional quality. From one lane away (like if you are at a red light and a car pulls up next to you), to them the paint will look sweet but when you get up close to the bike, you can definitely see (and feel) the so so paint job but like I said, it gives the bike some character"

Also, I've asked him twice now if the bike has been dropped or in an accident and he has ignored that, but has been remarkably detailed in all other responses, including offering to cut the stock exhaust and put a baffle or muzzy can on that he has for free. The paint thing though and the studious avoidance of my asking about any accidents has me slightly hesitant.

And then.....this was posted today: http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2006-Suzuki-Sv650-109419966 This bike looks about as clean and well maintained as you can possibly get. I'm thinking it might be worth an extra $900. I prefer the windshield (or lack of) vs what is on the blue one immensely as well.

I guess I should probably just look at both, eh?

I wouldn't touch the blue one with a bargepole. The whole listing rings of bullshit, these are my favourite bits though;

Bike is already light and nimble but I can tell you how to shave 30 more pounds off of it. - What the gently caress?
New 120/70/17 front tire installed to correct for factory speedo and odo error (actual mileage on bike is less than indicated). - Double what the gently caress?! The tyres look a lot like the stock ones to me.

Also the fairings are missing so it's probably been down at some point.

The red '06 looks to be in a lot better condition and also looks like it's got new tyres on (you can see the stripes they come with if you squint). I'd stump up the extra $900 for that if I was in your position.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

I wouldn't touch the blue one with a bargepole. The whole listing rings of bullshit, these are my favourite bits though;

Bike is already light and nimble but I can tell you how to shave 30 more pounds off of it. - What the gently caress?
New 120/70/17 front tire installed to correct for factory speedo and odo error (actual mileage on bike is less than indicated). - Double what the gently caress?! The tyres look a lot like the stock ones to me.

Also the fairings are missing so it's probably been down at some point.

The red '06 looks to be in a lot better condition and also looks like it's got new tyres on (you can see the stripes they come with if you squint). I'd stump up the extra $900 for that if I was in your position.

Yeah, I've already come to this decision on my own. I emailed back and forth with the guy a bit more and wow, it was giving me bad vibes. I've asked him 3 times if the bike has been in an accident or dropped, and if the title is clear and he has still ignored that question.

shady craigslist guy posted:

.....Did you consider about the imperfect paint job? I actually kinda like it. I have 3 bikes and I find myself wanting to ride the SV650S the most because it is just so much fun. Did you decide which exhaust system you would prefer? I was going to try a shorty custom exhaust that would save about 11 pounds. I have a wishlist of mods to do to the bike if I decide to keep it but if someone pays me the asking price, I may let it go and start over.

Questions:

- Will this be your first bike? If not, what other bikes have you ridden/owned?
- How tall are you and how much do you weigh?
- Do you like a loud exhaust system or quiet or somewhere in between?
- Is blue your first color choice for this bike?
- Do you prefer the style where the engine is exposed or the style with the plastic covering the engine?
- Do you prefer the bike be as light as possible? If so, I know how to make the bike about 35 pounds lighter than stock. Some I can do for free but some cost extra money (such as lithium battery which saves over 7 pounds)
- Do you prefer a very dark windshield or a tinted one you can more easily see thru (especially at night)?
- Are you willing to pay more money for the mods that lighten the bike or do you just want it back to stock as much as possible?

.......The bike used to be yellow and was painted blue just not professional quality. From one lane away (like if you are at a red light and a car pulls up next to you), to them the paint will look sweet but when you get up close to the bike, you can definitely see (and feel) the so so paint job but like I said, it gives the bike some character......No I don't paint bikes but I can tell it was yellow because it is that color under then gas cap.

Ok so it has the stock exhaust on there now which is very quiet. 2 options you have is I can cut that big stock can off and insert a 4 inch long mini baffle which will save 11 pounds and make the bike louder. That is a free mod and I would not charge you anything for the labor. I wanted to try that anyway. It should also make things easier for when you want to install a slip on exhaust. I have a beautiful Muzzy canister brand new which may or may not fit but it can probably me forced to fit with some effort. It is black and should look and sound sweet.

So do you want me to cut the stock exhaust can off and install the mini baffle? That just requires a hacksaw and a drill. I've done this mod on a previous SV I had and it sounded really cool and it saves 11 pounds which helps the bike accelerate slightly quicker.

Let me know when you get the money in hand. I will allow a testride if you let me hold the $2995 cash. I really like the bike so I am not interested in lowering the price. I'd rather keep it than lower it even $100.

Ok thanks for the good communication. I better understand now what you want and can set the bike up nicely for you.

So many WTF's! I'm just going to go for the red one.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006

sativa dreams posted:

So many WTF's! I'm just going to go for the red one.

This baby is now mine! '06 with 5,100 miles. It's my first bike, and it is more perfect than I could have hoped for!

Absolutely immaculate condition. The exhaust that is on there sounds loving incredible. I had no idea the SV could sound so mean....I set off two car alarms just cruising around my neighborhood. I ended up getting the bike, rear stand and spool adapters, and woodcraft frame sliders, plus delivery to my house for $3,850. Couldn't be happier!

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Welcome to the club man. I think you definitely made the right choice!

That particular colour looks excellent too, I didn't know they came in that shade of red. Mine's a bright yellow 'un :)

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Red ones go faster.

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
I recently purchased a silver 09 SV650S with 3500 miles on it. It is all stock and I'm looking to get a couple of things for it.

I want to get some frame sliders. I've seen woodcraft products linked on this thread. I've also seen motosliders endorsed on the svrider forums. Is either set better than the other set? One thing about them is that the motosliders have a set that I wouldn't have to cut into the lower fairing to install them, but the woodcraft ones I would have to cut into. Not sure how much cutting is involved with that. The motosliders are therefore 50 dollars more than the woodcrafts.

The other thing I would like to get are mirror extensions or different mirrors to be able to see behind me and not my elbows. I've found the extensions on ebay, but is there a different set of mirrors that I could get that are longer than the stock mirrors?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Gatla posted:

I recently purchased a silver 09 SV650S with 3500 miles on it. It is all stock and I'm looking to get a couple of things for it.

I want to get some frame sliders. I've seen woodcraft products linked on this thread. I've also seen motosliders endorsed on the svrider forums. Is either set better than the other set? One thing about them is that the motosliders have a set that I wouldn't have to cut into the lower fairing to install them, but the woodcraft ones I would have to cut into. Not sure how much cutting is involved with that. The motosliders are therefore 50 dollars more than the woodcrafts.

The other thing I would like to get are mirror extensions or different mirrors to be able to see behind me and not my elbows. I've found the extensions on ebay, but is there a different set of mirrors that I could get that are longer than the stock mirrors?

I'd just go with the no-cuts because screwing up a cut on those lowers is going to be more expensive than $50.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
I've been lusting after some mirrors from these guys but I can't justify it right now.

Buy some and let me live vicariously through you!

Boss
Feb 23, 2011
I've been looking for a long time to replace most of my naked bikes bolts with black oxide bolts for sometime now. No one, so far as I can tell (outside of probolt, but that only seems to be for certain parts and not the frame), makes a decent black bolt kit.

I'm going to try and make my own, but I'm wondering if anyone has a list of bolts used in the SV650. Someone attempted a list over at SVRider, but didn't get far. Worst case I'll spend an afternoon pulling a measuring, just wanted to see if there was a complete list somewhere out there that I've missed.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I think on ebay people sell "complete" bolt kits for a lot of bikes. Might be easier just to buy that set and get them anodized / powdercoated / spraypainted with the cheapest black paint you can find. I know they sell stainless bolts but I don't recall ever seeing black versions. This would save you the effort of removing all the bolts at once, painting them somehow and then having to replace them all at once. You could go piece for piece replacing everything which is probably easier to keep track of / match up the replacements for....

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

JP Money posted:

I think on ebay people sell "complete" bolt kits for a lot of bikes. Might be easier just to buy that set and get them anodized / powdercoated / spraypainted with the cheapest black paint you can find. I know they sell stainless bolts but I don't recall ever seeing black versions. This would save you the effort of removing all the bolts at once, painting them somehow and then having to replace them all at once. You could go piece for piece replacing everything which is probably easier to keep track of / match up the replacements for....

Ebay bolt kits suck because they're made of the cheapest chinese pot metal and they just loving LOVE to snap off. Fairing bolts are the worst. I shell out for OEM bolts because they're worth it, even at the reaming you get on dealership prices.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I've been trying to find a stubby muffler. Something to replace the big rear end yosh that's on there right now since I no longer have a tail on the bike, trying to clean it up a little bit. I'm not super worried about noise levels as I live in the Land Of Harley, but quiet is always a good thing. I've seen some cool looking short supertrapps, but I can't seem to find one to buy anywhere online. Megaphone style would be okay too. Any recommendations?

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Hi guys! I sort of feel like that friend who only calls when he needs a favor, but I'm having an issue with my 650 and you all helped me so much last time.

Like any bad bike owner, I let mine sit in the garage without a trickle charger for much of winter and took it out today to find it wouldn't start (surprise surprise). The dash panel lights still come on but it just won't turn over. After reading a lot of advice, I decided it was safe to jump from my car without turning the car's engine on, and it started right up. I let it run for 10 minutes after disconnecting the jumper cables, then like an idiot turned it back off to check if it would start up. It didn't. I figured I'd jump it again and then ride around for a while like I should have done in the first place, and now it won't start even with jumpers attached. It also now clicks extremely rapidly when trying to start it up.

Did I fry something with the car battery?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

The clicking is a common sign that the battery's completely dead.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

Letting a bike idle 99% of the time isn't gonna charge the battery. You need to ride it around because most bikes only charge over X rpm, and I can't remember what it is for the sv.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010
As to why it won't start now you probably have a bad connection with your cables this time.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

invision posted:

Letting a bike idle 99% of the time isn't gonna charge the battery. You need to ride it around because most bikes only charge over X rpm, and I can't remember what it is for the sv.

Yeah, learned this one the hard way.

kenny powerzzz posted:

As to why it won't start now you probably have a bad connection with your cables this time.

What could cause this? This was literally 15 minutes after successfully jumping it the first time.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Dead car battery or you aren't getting a good connection with the jumper cables. Also check your starter fuse, I don't remember if the relay will still click if the fuse blows.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

dantheman650 posted:

Yeah, learned this one the hard way.

What could cause this? This was literally 15 minutes after successfully jumping it the first time.

Just a bad connection with your cables. Try spreading the handles so that it puts pressure on the terminals and kinda wiggling them a little so they bite into fresh metal. Or your battery could be absolutely toast.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

AncientTV posted:

Dead car battery or you aren't getting a good connection with the jumper cables. Also check your starter fuse, I don't remember if the relay will still click if the fuse blows.

kenny powerzzz posted:

Just a bad connection with your cables. Try spreading the handles so that it puts pressure on the terminals and kinda wiggling them a little so they bite into fresh metal. Or your battery could be absolutely toast.

The car battery is definitely good, as I drove it right afterward. I'll check out the fuse and try jumping again when I have a minute. Thanks!

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
I'm a little worried about something on my 09 s. The front brake fluid looks like it is frozen in the reservoir. I've checked the rear brake reservoir and I can see it sloshing around in there, but the front one looks as if the fluid is frozen to the left side of the reservoir. I see no sloshing of fluid when I move the bike side to side. Ive never changed brake fluid before. Is this a fairly easy thing to do? Or do I just need to add some brake fluid to the reservoir?

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You should probably flush and bleed it. Do it by the book, it's easy.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Gatla posted:

I'm a little worried about something on my 09 s. The front brake fluid looks like it is frozen in the reservoir. I've checked the rear brake reservoir and I can see it sloshing around in there, but the front one looks as if the fluid is frozen to the left side of the reservoir. I see no sloshing of fluid when I move the bike side to side. Ive never changed brake fluid before. Is this a fairly easy thing to do? Or do I just need to add some brake fluid to the reservoir?

Is this with the cap off? It's common for people to have filled the reservoir above the sight window which doesn't allow for any movement of the fluid when looking at it.

If it's really frozen in there you should definitely change the fluid with fresh stuff as that has to have a ton of water in it.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

It's easier if you have another pair of hands to squeeze the lever while you hold the wrench/bottle/tube/whatever you use.

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.

JP Money posted:

Is this with the cap off? It's common for people to have filled the reservoir above the sight window which doesn't allow for any movement of the fluid when looking at it.

If it's really frozen in there you should definitely change the fluid with fresh stuff as that has to have a ton of water in it.

It turned out to be full. It looked frozen to me because the left side of the reservoir is a pinkish color while the right side is the white it should be. Is this a normal occurrence due to the bike sitting on the side stand?

Thanks for the help.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
http://www.bikebandit.com/2009-suzuki-sv650s-front-master-cylinder-sv650s/o/m20793sch701178

It's not going to slosh because of the rubber diaphragm that sits down in the cylinder (#11 in the link). It squishes the fluids to the sides instead of it just being an empty cylinder full of fluid. I'm guessing it helps with the vacuum, but I don't know for sure.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

What year did they go to the dual plug head and was rain on the single plug head really that effective at causing spark issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
'07, and I wouldn't doubt it. Between the position/angle of the spark well and loose fit of the boot, I can see how water would be shot up in there a good bit of the time.

• Locked thread