Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Y-Hat posted:

Hasn't Nick Jr.'s programming been horrible for a while before that? I've heard that a lot of their shows are hyperactive ADHD-enabling crap like Wow! Wow! Wubbzy! I remember a time when they played Rugrats, Muppet Babies, and The Muppet Show while their original programming was forgettable, aside from Blue's Clues of course.

Maybe? Nick Jr. as a channel has only been around for like 5 or 6 years, before that it was Noggin, which was essentially the same channel with different branding. I think I remember it having reruns some of those really old kids' shows like The Electric Company back like 10 years ago when it shared a channel with The N (now TeenNick) and it would switch over after Daria reruns, but besides that I'm only familiar with it as far back as the couple of years that I've had kids. I'd say that most of their programming that isn't Dora or Diego (which is like, 75% of their schedule) is closer to inoffensive but painfully dull stuff like Max & Ruby though, and even Wubbzy isn't nearly as bad as say, Spongebob or The Fairly Oddparents on the ADHD scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?
Disney introduced a new cartoon character today: some sort of mouse in pants. (All joking aside, I'm amazed at the fact that they've been able to make Mickey entertaining again.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhjTlW10cUg

Here's what else Disney has up their sleeve (at least we're getting good new animation):

Disney posted:

DISNEY CHANNEL

“Liv & Maddie” (working title) – 17-year-old newcomer Dove Cameron plays the dual role of identical twins in this upcoming sitcom. Ms. Cameron will also star in “Cloud 9,” a Disney Channel Original Movie premiering in 2014 (see below). The series was created by John Beck and Ron Hart (both of “According to Jim”). John Peaslee, Andy Fickman (“The Game Plan,” “Race to Witch Mountain”) and Betsy Sullenger are also executive producers. Cameron plays identical twins — an outstanding student and school basketball phenomenon whose popularity is on the rise until her twin sister, a television star, makes a triumphant return to their Wisconsin high school. Also starring are: Benjamin King, Kali Rocha, Joey Bragg and Tenzing Norgay Trainor.

“Star and the Forces of Evil” (working title) – this animated comedy adventure introduces Star Butterfly, a fun-loving magical teen princess from another dimension who — after a few bold skirmishes with other-worldly monsters — is sent by her Royal Parents to live with the Diaz family on Earth. Eden Sher (ABC’s “The Middle”) provides the voice of the lead character. Production has begun for a scheduled Fall 2014 premiere. Artist and writer Daron Nefcy is the series creator and co-executive producer. Dave Wasson is co-executive producer and director and Jordana Arkin is story editor. The series is from Disney Television Animation.

“Teen Beach Movie”– the Disney Channel Original Movie franchise — which introduced a generation of kids and tweens to movie musicals — will premiere the highly anticipated “Teen Beach Movie,” a modern take on classic beach party movies, FRIDAY, JULY 19 (8:00 p.m., ET/PT). Starring are Ross Lynch (“Austin & Ally” and Hollywood Records’ R5) and Maia Mitchell (ABC Family’s upcoming “The Fosters”) as Brady and McKenzie, surfers who ride the last wave of summer, one that mysteriously takes them into a classic beach party movie, Wet Side Story. There, it’s surfers versus bikers for control of the beach hangout…and everyone spontaneously breaks into song and dance. Brady and McKenzie must try to return to present day, but their lives may be changed forever when they inadvertently alter the movie’s romantic storyline — and the movie’s handsome surf guy Tanner is now falling for McKenzie while biker girl Lela swoons for Brady. Also starring are: Grace Phipps (“The Nine Lives of Chloe King”), Garrett Clayton, John DeLuca, Chrissie Fit (“General Hospital”), Kevin Chamberlin (“Jessie”) and Steve Valentine (“Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie”). The movie was directed by Jeffrey Hornaday (Disney Channel’s “Geek Charming,” choreographer of “A Chorus Line,” “Flashdance”) who also choreographed with Chris Scott (“Lemonade Mouth,” “Step Up 4″). David Buelow (“Bring It On: Fight to the Finish”) is the executive producer and Robert F. Phillips (“Teen Spirit,” “Valkyrie”) is the producer.

“Cloud 9″ – multi-talented Ashley Tisdale and snowboarding superstar Shaun White are the executive producers of this Disney Channel Original Movie, an exhilarating story set in the world of competitive snowboarding. Starring Luke Benward (“Girl Vs. Monster”) and newcomer Dove Cameron (who also stars in an upcoming Disney Channel series “Liv & Maddie” – working title), the movie is scheduled to premiere next winter on Disney Channel. “Cloud 9″ is directed by three-time DGA Award winner Paul Hoen (“Let It Shine,” “Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam,”). In addition to White and Tisdale, the movie is executive-produced by Jessica Rhoades (“Under Construction,” “Beauty & the Briefcase”) and Kirkland Tibbels.

“Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel” — the highly-anticipated animated adventure that assembles characters from two hugely popular Disney and Marvel franchises, “Phineas and Ferb: Mission Marvel,” premieres this summer on Disney Channel and Disney XD. Marking the first crossover animated special for Marvel and Disney properties, the epic television event will follow Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor and Hulk as they enter Danville after Dr. Doofenshmirtz’s latest “inator” scheme accidentally removes their powers and immobilizes them. Now it’s up to Phineas and Ferb to team up with the Marvel Super Heroes to help them regain their powers and defeat Marvel Super Villains – Red Skull, Whiplash, Venom and M.O.D.O.K. – who are working together with Dr. Doofenshmirtz to use his power-draining technology to create mayhem. “Phineas and Ferb” creators and executive producers Dan Povenmire and Jeff “Swampy” Marsh designed Marvel’s Super Heroes and Super Villains including Red Skull, Whiplash, Venom and M.O.D.O.K. to fit the Danville world of the Emmy Award-winning series. It is a production of Disney Television Animation.

“Wander Over Yonder” – premiering in summer 2013, this animated comedy, created, directed and executive-produced by Emmy-winning producer Craig McCracken (“The Powerpuff Girls”, “Foster’s Home For Imaginary Friends”), is about best friends and epic enemies, set in surreal places across the universe. Wander is an overly-optimistic intergalactic traveler who, along with his loyal but bullish steed Sylvia, goes from planet to planet helping people to live free and have fun, all against the evil reign of Lord Hater and his army of Watchdogs. The voice cast includes Jack McBrayer (“30 Rock,” “Phineas and Ferb”), Keith Ferguson (“Foster’s Home for Imaginary Friends”) and Tom Kenny (“SpongeBob SquarePants”). “Wander Over Yonder” is a production of Disney Television Animation.

“Mickey Mouse” – The endearing, adventurous and comedic antics of Mickey Mouse, Disney’s #1 star and the world’s leading character franchise, will be presented in a new short-form series of 2D comedy cartoons. This new series of 19 cartoon shorts will begin rolling out FRIDAY, JUNE 28 on Disney Channel, Disney.com and WATCH Disney Channel, among other platforms. While the direction and pacing of the new “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts are fresh and contemporary, they are at the same time homage to the art direction and storytelling of Walt and his animators in the 1920s and ’30s.

Geared towards kids age 6-14 and families, and produced in 2D animation, the design esthetic for the “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts reaches back almost 80 years and borrows reverentially from the bold style of his 1930s design, but not before adding a few contemporary touches. Designs for other characters have a similar approach, favoring a “rubber-hose” cartoon style for more exaggerated animation. Background designs closely reflect the graphic design sense of 1950s and 1960s Disney cartoons. For those true eagle-eyed Disney fans, the production team has also included the occasional homage to other icons from the storied Disney heritage. Stories in the upcoming cartoon shorts include: “Yodelberg” — Mickey longs to visit Minnie atop her mountaintop chalet but quickly realizes that the threat of avalanche has made the trek up the mountain more challenging than usual. In “No Service,” Mickey and Donald try to buy lunch from a beachside snack shack but are unceremoniously turned down because of the classic “No shirt, no shoes, no service” admonition (of course, Mickey doesn’t wear a shirt and Donald doesn’t wear shoes!).

Emmy Award-winning artist and director Paul Rudish (“Dexter’s Laboratory,” “The Powerpuff Girls”) is the executive producer and director. Aaron Springer (“SpongeBob SquarePants, “Gravity Falls”) and Clay Morrow (“Dexter’s Laboratory,” “The Powerpuff Girls”) are directors, and Joseph Holt (“The Powerpuff Girls”) is the art director. The series is produced under the supervision of senior vice presidents Eric Coleman and Lisa Salamone at Walt Disney Television Animation (TVA).

DISNEY XD

“Marvel’s Avengers Assemble” — this animated series follows the great adventures of Marvel’s favorite super heroes, Hulk, Captain America, Thor, Hawkeye, Black Widow and Falcon. A special one-hour preview will be presented SUNDAY, MAY 26, followed by the series premiere on SUNDAY, JULY 7. Starring are Adrian Pasdar as Iron Man, Fred Tatasciore reprising his role as Hulk, Roger Craig Smith as Captain America, Travis Willingham as Thor, Troy Baker as Hawkeye, Laura Bailey as Black Widow and Bumper Robinson as Falcon. Man of Action Studios (“Ben 10,” “Generator Rex”) — comprised of Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau and Steven T. Seagle — are executive producers.

“Hulk and the Agents S.M.A.S.H.” — in this never before seen team up of Hulk, his cousin She-Hulk, A-Bomb, Red Hulk and Skaar, Marvel’s mightiest super heroes form an eccentric family living under one roof, working together to tackle threats that are too enormous for other heroes to handle. From trying to house break their giant red pet T-Rex to stopping Ego the Living Planet from crashing into the Earth, the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. must learn to balance Hulk-sized action with everyday family-sized problems. The series premieres SUNDAY, AUGUST 11 (11:00 a.m., ET/PT). Starring are: Fred Tatasciore as Hulk, Clancy Brown as Red Hulk, Eliza Dushku as She-Hulk, Ben Diskin as Skaar and Seth Green as A-Bomb. The creative talents of Paul Dini (“Batman: The Animated Series,” “Lost”) and Henry Gilroy (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars”) have been tapped for this series.

DISNEY JUNIOR

“Henry Hugglemonster” – this animated series, premiering in April on the 24-hour Disney Junior channel, follows the adventures of fun-loving five-year-old Henry Hugglemonster, the middle child in a madcap monster family. Based on the book series I’m a Happy Hugglewug by Niamh Sharkey, the series is produced by Brown Bag Films (“Doc McStuffins”). The guest voice cast includes Geri Halliwell, Brenda Blethyn and Brain Blessed. Cathal Gaffney and Darragh O’Connell are the executive producers, along with Niamh Sharkey. The series is a production of the Brown Bag Films (“Doc McStuffins”).

“Sheriff Callie’s Wild West” — this animated series, debuting in September 2013 on the 24-hour Disney Junior channel and programming block, is the first western for preschoolers, with Mandy Moore (Disney’s “Tangled”) as the voice of a kitty cat sheriff whose job is to ensure that the town of Nice and Friendly Corners remains the friendliest town in the West. The series was created by Denis Morella and George Evelyn and developed for television by Holly Huckins. Morella, Evelyn and Huckins serve as executive producers. It is a production of DHX Media in association with Disney Junior.

“The 7D” – this animated series presents an innovative, comedic look at the Seven Dwarfs before Snow White’s arrival, this time in a contemporary storybook world designed for viewers age 2-7 and their families. Slated to debut in 2014 on Disney Junior channels and programming blocks around the world, it takes place in the whimsical world of Jollywood, where Queen Delightful relies on the 7D – Happy, Bashful, Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Grumpy and Doc – to keep the kingdom in order. Standing in their way are two laughably evil villains, Grim and Hildy Gloom, who plot to take over the kingdom by stealing the magical jewels in the 7D’s mine. With seven very distinct personalities, the 7D always manage to save the day and send Grim and Hildy running back to their evil lair to try another day. The executive producer is Tom Ruegger. Alfred Gimeno is the director and Sherri Stoner is the story editor. The characters are designed by Noah Z. Jones. The series is from Disney Television Animation.

The exciting 2013-14 slate also includes new episodes of the hit sitcoms “Good Luck Charlie,” “A.N.T. Farm,” “Jessie,” “Austin & Ally,” “Shake It Up” and “Dog With A Blog,” and the animated series “Gravity Falls” and “Phineas and Ferb” for Disney Channel; and new seasons of the Disney XD series “Kickin’ It,” “Lab Rats,” “Crash & Bernstein” and “Ultimate Spider-Man.”

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

quote:

“Hulk and the Agents S.M.A.S.H.” — in this never before seen team up of Hulk, his cousin She-Hulk, A-Bomb, Red Hulk and Skaar, Marvel’s mightiest super heroes form an eccentric family living under one roof, working together to tackle threats that are too enormous for other heroes to handle. From trying to house break their giant red pet T-Rex to stopping Ego the Living Planet from crashing into the Earth, the Agents of S.M.A.S.H. must learn to balance Hulk-sized action with everyday family-sized problems. The series premieres SUNDAY, AUGUST 11 (11:00 a.m., ET/PT). Starring are: Fred Tatasciore as Hulk, Clancy Brown as Red Hulk, Eliza Dushku as She-Hulk, Ben Diskin as Skaar and Seth Green as A-Bomb. The creative talents of Paul Dini (“Batman: The Animated Series,” “Lost”) and Henry Gilroy (“Star Wars: The Clone Wars”) have been tapped for this series.

What an utterly shameless ripoff of The Justice Friends.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wow, we've been hearing about that for years, what took them so long?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

http://www.awn.com/news/business/disney-s-nikki-reed-joins-hub

quote:

“Nikki Reed’s background as both a producer and an executive at top-level entertainment companies like Disney, NBC Universal, and Touchstone Television makes her the perfect person to lead our development and programming during this unprecedented time of growth for The Hub”

“The Hub is in a period of tremendous growth as it becomes a leader in the kids and family space,” said Reed. “Our goal is to utilize my relationships with writers, producers and talent to grow The Hub’s existing slate of programming and enhance it with more live-action series. I am excited to work with Margaret and The Hub team to carry out the creative vision to make smart, entertaining shows that appeal to both children and their parents."

"Among the series she developed at Disney are Jessie, Austin and Ally, Dog with a Blog, Lab Rats, and Crash and Bernstein."

Ah, well. RIP Hub you seemed promising for a while there.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

raditts posted:

What an utterly shameless ripoff of The Justice Friends.
drat it now I'm wishing there was Justice Friends series, those Dexter's Lab shorts were the best.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

drat it now I'm wishing there was Justice Friends series, those Dexter's Lab shorts were the best.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjZ_ebFJm9A

:allears:

I always felt the staff from CN around that time was brilliant. Hell, there would be no Family Guy/American Dad if not for Johnny Bravo, Dexter's Lab and shows like that.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Why does every cartoon based channel feel the need to go in that direction?

Granted I'm not the target demo, so it's not my place. I'm not the one who's going to run out and buy the products they're pushing during their commercial breaks. Juice Boxes, Lunchables, Barbie Dolls, Hot Wheels, etc.

But was their a study done that K-8 kids all love the Hannah Montana's of the world?

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
If by study you mean Neilson ratings then yes, kids like stuff like that. Any drop-off from cartoons is not enough to make up for the amount saved by their cheapness to film. Anyways the problem shouldn't be that Hub has live-action, it has since the start, its that the guy they are getting to do it has made nothing but poo poo so far.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yeah, the Hub always had live action, and it's pretty good (Aquabats!) But seriously.

Dog with a Blog.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

achillesforever6 posted:

The one where a bee gets into the apartment and they are doing all they can to get rid of it is hilarious

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

Why does every cartoon based channel feel the need to go in that direction?

Yeah I guess kids love this poo poo. I really feel old when I start to complain about the dumb stuff kids are watching these days :(

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I get the same feeling whenever I'm busy hating Johnny Test, Level Up, or any of the other terrible shows that just won't die. Maybe I hate them as an adult, but maybe they appeal to the youth of today. God knows how many of the shows I remember fondly were poo poo.

Then again, I do remember hating Super Duper Sumos and anything that relied on "gross-out humor", and I knew that Captain Planet was the dumbest loving thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Whitenoise Poster posted:

One of their launch shows was the hourlong Hasbro commercial called Family Game Night, and most of their current popular shows are toy cartoons that are revivals of 80s toy cartoons. The Hub was never promising.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I get the same feeling whenever I'm busy hating Johnny Test, Level Up, or any of the other terrible shows that just won't die. Maybe I hate them as an adult, but maybe they appeal to the youth of today. God knows how many of the shows I remember fondly were poo poo.

Then again, I do remember hating Super Duper Sumos and anything that relied on "gross-out humor", and I knew that Captain Planet was the dumbest loving thing.

Kids tend to have poo poo taste, but they aren't nearly as dumb as we tend to think they are as we get older. I hope most of us can come to terms that most of the live-action Nick shows in the 90s were poo poo and we knew it, and that the only people that think otherwise after watching that 90s block are way too nostalgic.

raditts fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Mar 17, 2013

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Martytoof posted:

Yeah I guess kids love this poo poo. I really feel old when I start to complain about the dumb stuff kids are watching these days :(

It's a bit of a conflict for me.

On one hand, I find myself disappointed that the Disney/Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network I grew up with is no longer a "thing". I truly loved some of the cartoons that aired on there, and am somewhat bummed that it's been overrun by Bieber-types. My feelings are near indentical to the South Park ep that made fun of the "High School Musical" craze. "THIS, is what's cool now?".

On the other hand? You know, I imagine there's some good shows out there for kids to like. Phineas and Ferb for example seems to be in that category, along with Adventure Time, Regular Show, etc.

Also, I'm not a kid anymore. I'm in my 20's, and I'm pretty far removed from their target demographic. I imagine I'll care a lot more when I have a kid someday, and I hope to god that there's at least one good cartoon out there to enjoy.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Adventure Time seems like it could become nigh-immortal like Spongebob. Regular show also seems to have found a similar comfortable niche.

Is it just me, or have none of the kids' networks been knowing what to do with their action shows? Most recenly we've seen the end of DC nation and a couple Disney action shows. That Friday night action block on Cartoon Network was always switched around all the time, and the only things on relatively consistently were Clone Wars and some form if Ben 10. I have no idea what happened to Generator Rex, and I was shocked to look it up and see that it was three seasons. It didnt seem like it. And there were episodes that apparantly aired this year? When?!
Korra was popular, wasn't it? I can't recall ever seeing reruns, though. Is that new TMNT show doing well?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Mar 17, 2013

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Nickelodeon shows like a 3-hour block of the new TMNT show every Friday, so I should hope it's doing well if they're pimping it that hard.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

raditts posted:

Kids tend to have poo poo taste, but they aren't nearly as dumb as we tend to think they are as we get older. I hope most of us can come to terms that most of the live-action Nick shows in the 90s were poo poo and we knew it, and that the only people that think otherwise after watching that 90s block are way too nostalgic.

One thing that bugs me about the 90's nostalgia trend is how everyone pretends everything was better back then.

I think one of the stupid things I kept seeing pop up in my twitter feed was something like "IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE THESE 90'S TOYS AS A KID..YOU HAD NO CHILDHOOD"

Yeah, all that time with my family and friends. Exploring stuff in the woods, birthday parties, playing tag. All of that now means nothing because I didn't have a talkboy. :rolleyes:.

As I mentioned above, the most hilarious forced nostalgia by Nick was trying to push the Kids Choice Awards as "Do you remember?" thing. I remember it being complete poo poo back then, if that's what they mean't. If you look at the nominees/winners of that awards show in years past, you'll see my younger self wasn't that far off the pace.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FuzzySkinner posted:

One thing that bugs me about the 90's nostalgia trend is how everyone pretends everything was better back then.

I think one of the stupid things I kept seeing pop up in my twitter feed was something like "IF YOU DIDN'T HAVE THESE 90'S TOYS AS A KID..YOU HAD NO CHILDHOOD"

Well it certainly didn't start with the 90s, because I remember text files on BBSes (and later, email forwards) in the 90s that were pretty much the same thing about 80s nostalgia. It's the "all the best things in the world happened when you were 12" phenomenon in action. Give it 5-6 years and you'll see people remembering late 90s / early 2000s boy bands fondly. Funny thing though, I can't remember any huge kids' toys from the aughts (furbys, elmos, and beanie babies were all 90s, right?), and many of the popular cartoons of the time were turned into shambling zombies whose corpses still walk to this day.

raditts fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Mar 17, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah, 80s nostalgia was alive and well up until a few years ago when the 86s/87s started graduating from college. Sites like X-Entertainment were basically entirely dedicated to that stuff.

As to current toy-lines there's Ben 10, Bratz, those dolls that look like Universal Monsters, Domo-kun maybe(I still see the stuff in stores occasionally anyway), Gundam stuff (not exactly hugely popular but everything but Wing that aired over here aired in the 2000s,) all the Angry Birds crap that is plastered around and that might be about it. Yeah that is a comparatively toyless era I suppose.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 17, 2013

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

raditts posted:

Well it certainly didn't start with the 90s, because I remember text files on BBSes (and later, email forwards) in the 90s that were pretty much the same thing about 80s nostalgia. It's the "all the best things in the world happened when you were 12" phenomenon in action. Give it 5-6 years and you'll see people remembering late 90s / early 2000s boy bands fondly. Funny thing though, I can't remember any huge kids' toys from the aughts (furbys, elmos, and beanie babies were all 90s, right?), and many of the popular cartoons of the time were turned into shambling zombies whose corpses still walk to this day.

As a 90s kid I've had to put up with 80s nostalgia my entire life. 80s kids can suck it, you spent over a decade acting like Transformers and He-Man weren't utter trash so the least you can do is let us have our fun.

And toys in general have kind of died down, partially because after Wal-Mart took over everything their distribution eliminated the issues that made Tickle-Me Elmo and Furby so infamous and partially because it's the information age and videogames and computers took over that niche for the most part. As for the whole "shambling corpses" thing...just about every 80s and 90s action series has been rebooted or continued so it's not some mark against 00s cartoons. hell, just in the last year we had a Thundercats reboot and a TMNT reboot.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I haven't actually watched any Disney anything on TV in quite a few years. Do they still actually make cartoons or is it just Gravity Falls surrounded by live action stuff? I'm vaguely aware that there was some kind of Emperor's New Groove cartoon a while ago and that's pretty much it.

e: I guess the last actual Disney cartoon I remember watching was Timon and Pumbaa but that was over a decade ago now :stonk:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

...of SCIENCE! posted:

As a 90s kid I've had to put up with 80s nostalgia my entire life. 80s kids can suck it, you spent over a decade acting like Transformers and He-Man weren't utter trash so the least you can do is let us have our fun.

And toys in general have kind of died down, partially because after Wal-Mart took over everything their distribution eliminated the issues that made Tickle-Me Elmo and Furby so infamous and partially because it's the information age and videogames and computers took over that niche for the most part. As for the whole "shambling corpses" thing...just about every 80s and 90s action series has been rebooted or continued so it's not some mark against 00s cartoons. hell, just in the last year we had a Thundercats reboot and a TMNT reboot.

I'm talking about poo poo like Spongebob that has literally been dragged out for over a decade when they should've been euthanized long ago.

Martytoof posted:

I haven't actually watched any Disney anything on TV in quite a few years. Do they still actually make cartoons or is it just Gravity Falls surrounded by live action stuff? I'm vaguely aware that there was some kind of Emperor's New Groove cartoon a while ago and that's pretty much it.

Close, it's Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb surrounded by live action stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I guess I'd love to see them try to revive Disney Afternoon or something like that. Now that you've got cartoons basically being made in Flash it would probably cut down the cost of traditional animation a bit. At this point I'm not sure I would mind if they rebooted some of the old shows. Hell, if they could make a new DuckTales I would probably watch a few episodes.

But that's totally me in "poo poo was awesome when I was 12" mode. I tried to go back and watch a few episodes of DuckTales and now I picked up the TaleSpin DVDs, and while they're still enjoyable I certainly wouldn't call them the "high art" that I remember them being :q:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated finally returns next week to finish out its run, Mondays-Fridays at 5 PM.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

raditts posted:

Close, it's Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb surrounded by live action stuff.

Don't forget Fish Hooks.

Actually, do forget Fish Hooks.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

DivisionPost posted:

Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated finally returns next week to finish out its run, Mondays-Fridays at 5 PM.

You trapped me at "finally returns."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

raditts posted:

You trapped me at "finally returns."

There's like, 11 episodes left, and they're doing 2 episodes a day all next week. Cartoon Network wants this thing wrapped up.

EDIT: Or maybe they're just doing two episodes next Monday, so they can finish it out on Friday the week after next.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Martytoof posted:

e: I guess the last actual Disney cartoon I remember watching was Timon and Pumbaa but that was over a decade ago now :stonk:

Do not watch the Emperor's New School. In fact, also do not watch Kronk's New Groove. Both are horrible nonsense.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

DivisionPost posted:

Oh hey something actually good, quick we gotta burn it before somebody notices! And I think it actually did well too when season 1 kicked off all that time ago, even if it was too scary for children.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Macaluso posted:

Do not watch the Emperor's New School. In fact, also do not watch Kronk's New Groove. Both are horrible nonsense.
I remembered liking Kronk's New Groove, but I was like 13-14 at the time. Man I remember those times of Disney Animation with the only worthwhile thing being Kim Possible. Which I still think is a good show and had a great voice cast looking back on it. The Adam West episode was probably my favorite since it was kind of rib on Batman Beyond.

DivisionPost posted:

I didn't really follow this show much, I think the only episode I remembered was the Harlan Ellison, HP Lovecraft, and Robert Howard episode. I wish Gary Cole would do more work I still miss Harvey Birdman :smith:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

There was a lot of poo poo that was big back in the '90s that really don't hold up to scrutiny- most live-action Nick shows and Goosebumps books come to mind. I still love Rocko's Modern Life, even though I think that Hey Arnold! is the better show now that I've watched both of them on Netflix.

raditts posted:

Give it 5-6 years and you'll see people remembering late 90s / early 2000s boy bands fondly.
People already do this, sad to say. Nothing makes me die more inside than hearing people my age (not just women, mind you) going crazy when some Backstreet Boys song comes on.

Macaluso posted:

The posters who say that Ultimate Spider-Man is the Family Guy of superhero shows are wrong. It's closer to Emperor's New School, seeing as both have that awful "take breaks in the action to listen to what the unlikable main character has to say" aspect to it.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Y-Hat posted:

There was a lot of poo poo that was big back in the '90s that really don't hold up to scrutiny- most live-action Nick shows and Goosebumps books come to mind. I still love Rocko's Modern Life, even though I think that Hey Arnold! is the better show now that I've watched both of them on Netflix.

People already do this, sad to say. Nothing makes me die more inside than hearing people my age (not just women, mind you) going crazy when some Backstreet Boys song comes on.

98 degrees is touring again, and playing arenas.

...yeah.

There's also apparently people who still think fondly of Limp Bizkit, along with other bands that were rightfully ripped to shreds back in the day by Dr. David Thorpe and Lowtax.

Also, take a look at what Amanda Bynes has been tweeting lately:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/21/amanda-bynes-drake-vagina_n_2929248.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
That sure is a way to end a series. I just saw what I believe is the last episode of Young Justice(Ep 46) and whelp spoilers! Kid Flash dies in the final moments of the episode because somebody had to die and why not the guy two days from retirement. Then Vandal Savage shows up and high fives Darkseid because... and then Reach just go quietly into the night to face vague charges from the Green Latern corp. It was kind of a bummer to see how rushed things were.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

That sure is a way to end a series. I just saw what I believe is the last episode of Young Justice(Ep 46) and whelp spoilers! Kid Flash dies in the final moments of the episode because somebody had to die and why not the guy two days from retirement. Then Vandal Savage shows up and high fives Darkseid because... and then Reach just go quietly into the night to face vague charges from the Green Latern corp. It was kind of a bummer to see how rushed things were.

They didn't rush things on purpose, actually. It was gonna be a lead in to season three, but alas that just didn't work out.

Though I get the impression that with the writers ending a majority of the episodes with the Light talking about everything went according to plan, it would have been a surprise to see an actual ending no matter how many seasons they got.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
According to this website we are getting an assload of Cartoon Network cartoons on the 30th and not just Adventure Time and Johnny Bravo: http://www.streamingsoon.com/2009/10/coming-this-week.html

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Neo Helbeast posted:

According to this website we are getting an assload of Cartoon Network cartoons on the 30th and not just Adventure Time and Johnny Bravo: http://www.streamingsoon.com/2009/10/coming-this-week.html
Chowder, nice. I'm gonna be parking my rear end in front of my TV with my Wii plugged in on that day and just binge on a bunch of those shows.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
No misadventures of flapjack? :mad:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Oh sweet, like the whole DCAU is coming.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

TwoPair posted:

Oh sweet, like the whole DCAU is coming.

Yeah, I always wanted to see the big deal about that, and now I can!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Upon further inspection, it looks like it's just Batman Beyond and Justice League. And they don't even have the final season of JLU. Man, that's kind of bullshit. Oh well.