Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

MrJacobs posted:

can you still re-download it?
Nope, not even a reinstall or cache verification does anything.

This is for the Steam version, might work fine on consoles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

My DLC seems to be fine (got Year of the Snake before I read any comments or anything, I'm a smart buyer :downs:), at least I'm not getting any error messages about missing content or anything like that. None of my wardrobe stuff seemed to be missing either, at least nothing that matters. Hopefully I managed to avoid the problem. :ohdear:

I checked the Steam forums, and from what I could tell the broken DLC was apparently caused by the latest patch instead of Year of the Snake. There are some folks reporting missing content and corrupted saves even without the YotS DLC installed.

In any case, the DLC itself is pretty cool so far. I didn't finish it yet, but it feels longer than Nightmare in North Point and there's a bunch of side stuff to do. You also get to arrest people and/or whack them with a telescopic baton. :cop:

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
Welp, they fixed it. Props to Square for being "on it". You can all keep punching people in the face now.

Lyrai
Jan 18, 2012

So after 100%ing the main game, being rather dissapointed with North Point, and finding Zodiac Tournament worth the buck or two I steam sale'd it for, I'm enjoying Year of the Snake so far. The taser is pretty amazing, and I like the story focus of Wei having caused so much havoc doing the main mission that the higher ups bust him down to meter maid and he has to work his way back up

I haven't finished it yet - a bus just exploded after I dealt with three bomb threats - but I'm liking the "central mission, and also two or three side missions that are pretty close to each other" way of things, since I no longer have a car valet.

Took me a while to figure out you still can hijack cars, Wei just flashes his badge and goes HONG KONG POLICE and they hop out.

One thing I am puzzled on - one of the stat awards for this DLC is "Pull cars over in a cop car" - I'm not quite clear on how that works, but given the high numbers it asks, I don't think it can be hard. Is it just driving around with your lights on, and cars automatically pull over?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Sounds like the True Crime influence is showing up in the new dlc :D

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
I just finished the first mission after getting promoted from Beat Cop. Tear gas grenades aren't as effective at riot dispersal as you'd hope, but they sure are satisfying to ding off cultists' heads and/or junk. I do wish the batons were more durable, but that's okay because tazing dudes into a coma will never stop being entertaining. What? There's an arrest option? Sorry, I don't take creeps in alive. :black101:

Overall I've been enjoying this, though I don't know how much longer there is to it. The side missions are really funny though. Public urination? That's a tazin'!

Edit: Finished it up. The end is pretty drat anticlimactic. I guess it's fitting that you just grab the dude and cuff him, but I was really expecting and hoping for at least a brief fistfight. Not the most exciting final cutscene either, and then it just dumps you back into the world with nothing new to do. It would've been nice to have some ambient police jobs to do, though I assume you can replay the missions through the Social Hub, so at least I can go bust skulls in the Soho Riot when I feel like it. Rewards are Beat Cop and SDU uniforms, and the tear gas launcher in the main game. Overall, it was a fun diversion, though probably not worth $7 unless you really want to be able to use the tazer in the main game, and I think one of the other outfit DLCs adds that anyway. I will eventually have fun as Wei Shen, Undercover Beat Cop though.

RandallODim fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Mar 13, 2013

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

The Tazer is a lot of fun.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

"EVENT FAILED: The bomb exploded"

gently caress you game, I left that car at an empty parking lot and absolutely no one got hurt when it blew up. :argh:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

"EVENT FAILED: The bomb exploded"

gently caress you game, I left that car at an empty parking lot and absolutely no one got hurt when it blew up. :argh:

Yeah but now you set up the Hong Kong version of the Patriot Act so who knows what untold damage you've done?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Haven't played Year of the Snake yet, but I have to link to this video and demand that everyone watch around the 13:35 part: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx8hYOJCYPE

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Also, where do you find the Zodiac Tournament and Wheels of Fury missions after downloading the DLC? I can't find anything on my map.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Did you get a mission reward pop-up saying you got rewarded with Zodiac Tournament/Wheel of Fury missions? Zodiac Tournament should start from the docks in Central, and Wheels of Fury starts in Kennedy Town. If you didn't get the reward pop-up, try having Steam verify the integrity of the game cache, that fixed it for me when the DLC wasn't activating.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
I just had a chance to play this game but I am a bit confused on the mission structure. Should I be switching between the Blue missions and the light green ones? Does it matter? Am I missing out on stuff if I do things a certain way? I don't know what I am doing other than obeying traffic laws and punching people in the face.

Also, what is the deal with all these "Impress this girl" missions? Do they ever show up again or not? My phone said it had a message from Not Ping way after doing her mission (I think I got the message after the hospital defense) but the only thing I could find on it was from a recent character. So I don't know if that was a display bug or what, since I've been seeing a few of those. That phone loves to act weird after waking up.

I'm wondering as well if there is a reward for doing enough car or collection missions you can start by calling some dude on the phone or if it always just about the money?

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Smart Car posted:

Did you get a mission reward pop-up saying you got rewarded with Zodiac Tournament/Wheel of Fury missions? Zodiac Tournament should start from the docks in Central, and Wheels of Fury starts in Kennedy Town. If you didn't get the reward pop-up, try having Steam verify the integrity of the game cache, that fixed it for me when the DLC wasn't activating.

I did get the initial popup upon starting the game, but don't see any icons for the extra missions on the map. I'm playing on PS3, for the record.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ It should be an orange car for Wheels of Fury right next to the Kennedy Town safehouse.

Broose posted:

I just had a chance to play this game but I am a bit confused on the mission structure. Should I be switching between the Blue missions and the light green ones? Does it matter? Am I missing out on stuff if I do things a certain way?

It doesn't matter. You have to do both branches eventually but you can do them in whatever order you want.

Broose posted:

Also, what is the deal with all these "Impress this girl" missions? Do they ever show up again or not?

Once you get the map marker reward from them, they no longer show up. I know it's disappointing.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Great to know I can take my time with either mission type.

That Emma Stone credit at the beginning gave me the impression of a recurring character, but she never showed up again. At least now I can stop wondering.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Broose posted:

Great to know I can take my time with either mission type.

That Emma Stone credit at the beginning gave me the impression of a recurring character, but she never showed up again. At least now I can stop wondering.

From what I understand, there was supposed to be a bunch more with Wei's ladyfriends that had to be cut for time and budget. Apparently the plan was for Wei to be able to ride off into the sunset with the girl of your choosing, but instead Wei just has sex with them in public and they add stuff to your map.

I honestly wouldn't mind paying money to add some stuff like that back in, but them I'm always a big fan of games that let you build relationships with characters. But only if they also add Salty dates.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Apparently the plan was for Wei to be able to ride off into the sunset with the girl of your choosing, but instead Wei just has sex with them in public and they add stuff to your map.

Hey, sometimes he took them back to an apartment like a gentleman.

Crappy Jack posted:

But only if they also add Salty dates.

Wei doesn't realize it, but the first part of Nightmare in North Point was a date with Salty.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Is the Year of the Snake on sale as well or was it alwyas prized at 560 MS points?

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS
I just played through Year of the Snake and I really can't recommend it enough. The story's lacking but the missions are rather varied and there's a ton of side stuff to do as well. They also add a few new mechanics in the game, like an arrest mechanic, which is pretty interesting. For like $7.99 I believe, I got about 2 and a half hours out of it which was more than NiNP, Wheels of Fury, and the Zen Tournament combined.

Also Wei's Beat Police Uniform :getin:

Dodecalypse fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 16, 2013

Mephesto Zieg
Jan 4, 2008
I'm too tired to be funny right now
Since this is on sale right now on Xbox live for $20 and all of the DLC is on sale, what are the odds of this getting a Game of the Year edition at some point? Tempted to pick up the vanilla version now and pick up DLC later but would rather have a physical copy w/DLC included.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Dodecalypse posted:

I just played through Year of the Snake and I really can't recommend it enough. The story's lacking but the missions are rather varied and there's a ton of side stuff to do as well. They also add a few new mechanics in the game, like an arrest mechanic, which is pretty interesting. For like $7.99 I believe, I got about 2 and a half hours out of it which was more than NiNP, Wheels of Fury, and the Zen Tournament combined.

Also Wei's Beat Police Uniform :getin:

So you can just taze and cuff some guy on the street after eating a pork bun?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I just got Nightmare in Northpoint for 280 points in the Xbox Live sale, I would have picked up Year of the Snake, but I couldn't pass up the Deus Ex DLC I'd been thinking of getting for half price, so I'll probably get it next week.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Corzaa posted:

So you can just taze and cuff some guy on the street after eating a pork bun?

Yup. You can only cuff people when they're low on health. But civilians are already low health, so you can grab them and immediately arrest them.

Finished Year of the Snake last night. About the same as NiNP. Not sure it was really worth $7, but I enjoyed it. If paying full price gets more DLC or Sleeping Dogs 2, i'm ok with it.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I'm in the post-game and I've completed all of the favors except for the dates. I can't find Not-Ping in my phone however. Am I just completely boned in getting the Mr. Nice Guy achievement?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
I vaguely believe that you have to do at least one of the other dates first?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Chortles posted:

I vaguely believe that you have to do at least one of the other dates first?

yeah, I believe its Tiffany.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
The best part about Beat Cop Shen is even though you can't use your arm/leg breakers, you can still beat them with phone-booth phones and slam heads in cardoors.
STOP RESISTING! :cop:

The Pope
Feb 18, 2007
How the hell on PC do you view the controls? I can't remember poo poo and now I am hosed.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Unless I'm missing something, it should be right under "Options" in the main menu:

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
You guys were right about the whole Not Ping-Tiffany thing. Got all the favors complete. I am however missing one street race. It's not appearing on the map and I've already had my date with Sandra. Am I missing something?

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Kaleidoscope posted:

You guys were right about the whole Not Ping-Tiffany thing. Got all the favors complete. I am however missing one street race. It's not appearing on the map and I've already had my date with Sandra. Am I missing something?

Do you have vehicles from all classes?

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I've re-started this game back up with the intention of finishing and possibly doing the new DLC. I have to say that the biggest tip for new players is to read the reports. I mostly ignored them on my first attempted playthrough, and that was a huge mistake. You really don't understand how loving insane Wei is unless you read the reports. My concept of who he is has changed.

Crappy Jack posted:

From what I understand, there was supposed to be a bunch more with Wei's ladyfriends that had to be cut for time and budget. Apparently the plan was for Wei to be able to ride off into the sunset with the girl of your choosing, but instead Wei just has sex with them in public and they add stuff to your map.

I honestly wouldn't mind paying money to add some stuff like that back in, but them I'm always a big fan of games that let you build relationships with characters. But only if they also add Salty dates.
As it stands the game is a bit bizarre in how the relationship stuff is treated. When you go out with Emma Stone, she talks like you guys have gone on a bunch of dates. Wei's reaction to Tiffany seeing someone else is also weird. They probably should have just eliminated the dating aspect all together and just have the girlfriends be oddly well-developed NPCs who appear for a single mission each.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I'm just now getting around to playing this. The police escape system makes damaging police cars seem more practical since there aren't five of them chasing you at all times like in GTA 4.

Are there any mods worth checking out for the PC version? I'd particularly be interested in one that causes people to drive on the right side of the road, as I'm tiring of crashing at each intersection.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
I just got this game on sale - are there issues with the controls or is it just because my PC is right on the borderline of being acceptable? Every so often wei will get stuck as if I were holding down the space key a while after I've let it go. This can make combat frustrating since I need to wait for him to stop running before I can kick rear end.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Timeless Appeal posted:

I've re-started this game back up with the intention of finishing and possibly doing the new DLC. I have to say that the biggest tip for new players is to read the reports. I mostly ignored them on my first attempted playthrough, and that was a huge mistake. You really don't understand how loving insane Wei is unless you read the reports. My concept of who he is has changed.
As it stands the game is a bit bizarre in how the relationship stuff is treated. When you go out with Emma Stone, she talks like you guys have gone on a bunch of dates. Wei's reaction to Tiffany seeing someone else is also weird. They probably should have just eliminated the dating aspect all together and just have the girlfriends be oddly well-developed NPCs who appear for a single mission each.

I'm working on a second play through of this game and I don't think I ever read any of the reports...guess I need to go do that!

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm working on a second play through of this game and I don't think I ever read any of the reports...guess I need to go do that!
I believe that the one about the drug dealer that he "disappeared" implies that Wei isn't that far from a dirty cop himself? I got the sense in the game that Wei comes off more like a snitch who moonlights for Inspector Teng than a like a mole anyway, that's how "in" he is with the triads in the main story.

foozwak
Apr 8, 2005

Solis posted:

I just got this game on sale - are there issues with the controls or is it just because my PC is right on the borderline of being acceptable? Every so often wei will get stuck as if I were holding down the space key a while after I've let it go. This can make combat frustrating since I need to wait for him to stop running before I can kick rear end.

Started playing recently and was wondering about this exact same thing. I think the issue is that tapping and then holding W acts the same way as holding space+W. It's really obnoxious because this can happen pretty easily in the more hectic action scenes, and having Wei suddenly go into runny-jumpy mode when you don't want or expect him to can really gently caress things up.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
So apparently it's possible to wear a police outfit/swat outfit for the main missions. Anyone know how? The thought of Wei going uncover in full uniform is giving me giggle fits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Red Mundus posted:

So apparently it's possible to wear a police outfit/swat outfit for the main missions. Anyone know how? The thought of Wei going uncover in full uniform is giving me giggle fits.

You buy it then put it on.

• Locked thread