Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Have we mentioned that Greg Stolze is awesome?

Greg Stolze posted:

Hi. I'm not an engineer or a doctor, so it's hard for me to directly take a hand in the struggle with poverty and suffering in the impoverished areas of the world. I'm a writer, so the best I can do is raise funds to help those doctors and engineers. That's what I'm doing here, now.
Through my church, I'm participating in a 'Walk for Water' fund raiser. You pledge, I hoof it, and then we can afford to put a water purification system into a needy community in Kenya. (We did this last year, for the Dominican Republic, to great success. There's a photoset all about it on Flickr at http://www.flickr.com/photos/watermissions/sets/72157627599041211/ )
If you're a fan of my writing, you may already be familiar with the idea of pledging money and getting fiction in return. I'm happy to keep that going, so in that spirit, every person who pledges me $10 or more to this fundraiser gets a free PDF of my short story "Kindness." It's unpublished, not available anywhere else, about 1500 words long. (That's short--about five pages. It's a tight five, though.) If you're familiar with my work already, "Kindness" is most similar in tone to "These People Mean Nothing To Each Other" or "A Hole in the Darkness" only a little less bleak. (The title, surprisingly, is not 100% ironic.) If you're unfamiliar with my work, you can read a lot of it online for free at http://www.gregstolze.com/fiction_library/ .
I'll go further and say that if I raise $500 or more for this, I'll put "Kindness" online at that fiction library, for everyone, under a Creative Commons license, in perpetuity. I get none of the money--I mean, you knew that, right? In case you were wondering, I take nothing. This is entirely a charitable endeavor, and one I hope you'll help me with.
Thanks.
-G.

Because Greg Stolze is awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
So what kind of Adept is this guy?

http://bryanlewissaunders.org/sps/

quote:

On March 30th 1995, I started doing at least one Self-Portrait everyday for the rest of my life. At present I have over 8,000 of them. Like fingerprints, snowflakes and DNA they are all different, no two are the same. For hundreds of years, artists have been putting themselves into representations of the world around them. I am doing the exact opposite. I put the world around me into representations of myself as I find this more true to my Central Nervous System.

The close-up photos of messy but meticulously organized books on a bare carpet made me think Unknown Armies immediately. I was picturing some kind of variant Epideromancy/Personamancy where you define "who I am today" by drawing it.

Liet
Oct 7, 2003
For anyone who didn't back the Better Angels kickstarter but still interested in Greg's writing, here's a short story titled Soul-Catcher in the Rye

http://arcdream.com/home/?p=1262

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

So for anyone who's never read it, DriveThruRPG has a sale on all the GODLIKE titles going on. I've been wanting to read it for years and it's only $16 bucks.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I had a question about Wealth levels in REIGN, regarding buying things of lower Wealth levels than what you have. It mentions that even though doing so doesn't lower your Wealth, you're prevented from just buying a billion Wealth 1 things when you're Wealth 2 because there's the table for outfitting soldiers. One problem, that's just for weapons and equipment. What happens if I'm Wealth 3 and want to buy, say, fifty Wealth 2 necklaces? This is especially weird when only two Wealth 2 necklaces make Wealth 3.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Doodmons posted:

I had a question about Wealth levels in REIGN, regarding buying things of lower Wealth levels than what you have. It mentions that even though doing so doesn't lower your Wealth, you're prevented from just buying a billion Wealth 1 things when you're Wealth 2 because there's the table for outfitting soldiers. One problem, that's just for weapons and equipment. What happens if I'm Wealth 3 and want to buy, say, fifty Wealth 2 necklaces? This is especially weird when only two Wealth 2 necklaces make Wealth 3.
The soldier thing is a specific example of a general rule. It's something like up the wealth level by 1 for every factor of X, but I forget what X is.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012
Anyone able to tell me what the difference between Wild Talents 2E and Wild Talents Essentials Edition is?

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

The Essential edition doesn't have any of the setting info, just the game rules.

InfiniteJesters
Jan 26, 2012

rantmo posted:

The Essential edition doesn't have any of the setting info, just the game rules.

Ah, okay. Danke!

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Doodmons posted:

Stuff like that is basically "use your common sense" with regards to both how many things you can buy at once, (like replacing a sword once a week rather than buying 50 swords at once), as well as what makes sense for a city/town's economy being able to support. Stuff like necklaces are less commodities and more luxuries, so a character wouldn't be expected to be buying a necklace for every day of the week depending on their wealth.

I see the wealth level examples more of what your character can reasonably afford as their standard of living. The thing about the wealth system is that it works well as cutting out the "okay this costs 5cp and this costs 1gp, etc" sort of stuff, but I can see why some people would be put off by it. I can also see that some people would be likely to try to abuse it.

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

So anyone besides me get a chance to thumb through the Better Angels advance PDF copy?

ack
Mar 16, 2007
ack ack ack ack

Capntastic posted:

So anyone besides me get a chance to thumb through the Better Angels advance PDF copy?

We're in the middle of a 13th age game and I still haven't had the chance but what I've read in character creation has me all excited.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009
It looks like a mix of Wild Talents, A Dirty World, and Wraith: The Oblivion, which is not something I had ever previously expected to see.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

I haven't had a chance to read all of Better Angels yet, but I wrote a ridiculous number of words about how much I love character creation.
If I can get all my work done today I'm planning to make my way through the rest of the book.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Quick question - do any of the tabletop programs like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds support ORE dicerolling? I'm supposed to be doing a skype game this month and that would be helpful.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
There will be a Better Angels playtest Actual Play up this week on RPPR. Things get...interesting.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

clockworkjoe posted:

There will be a Better Angels playtest Actual Play up this week on RPPR. Things get...interesting.

I am in the middle of listening to the current episode and was probably more excited than I should have been when I heard this. It means I will actually listen to an AP ahead of the rest of my backlog since I really want to get a better feel for the way the system works.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

SageNytell posted:

Quick question - do any of the tabletop programs like Roll20 or Fantasy Grounds support ORE dicerolling? I'm supposed to be doing a skype game this month and that would be helpful.

Roll 20 shows all dice rolled in a pool, and lets you rearrange them with your mouse if you really want to. So with the same ability of normal dice.

example rolling 5d10
(
+
+
+
+
) = 29

looks better in their text box since it formats it right...

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Fantasy Grounds could possibly be made to, but hosed if I know how. Their documentation is non-existent.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SageNytell posted:

http://www.xfw57.dial.pipex.com/games/misc/reign_roller.html

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

enigma105 posted:

I am in the middle of listening to the current episode and was probably more excited than I should have been when I heard this. It means I will actually listen to an AP ahead of the rest of my backlog since I really want to get a better feel for the way the system works.

Glad you like it so far. We have encountered one downside to Better Angels - a player absence impacts the group more than normal because of the demon RPing element.

Anyway, Mr. Stolze has a new Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gregstolze/mask-of-the-other-audiobook

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

clockworkjoe posted:

Glad you like it so far. We have encountered one downside to Better Angels - a player absence impacts the group more than normal because of the demon RPing element.

Anyway, Mr. Stolze has a new Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gregstolze/mask-of-the-other-audiobook

Alas poor money, I knew you well.

Has anyone here read Mask of the Other? (The KS is to adapt it into an audio book.)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
According to kindle, I got 26% of the way through before I gave up. It's got some great scenes and a few nice scares, but the characters read like pregen handouts, and the plot felt incredibly jumpy and... tabletoppey. Like I was reading fan fiction of his delta green game, or a con scenario he was writing and then abandoned.

And I own almost everything Stolze has written, fiction and gaming, so I'm already biased towards liking his stuff. Maybe it improves in the later stages of the book?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

I enjoyed Mask but the prose is pretty dry and some of the themes don't rise to being apparent until the end. But yeah, I can see how it would seem tabletoppy and jumpy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

clockworkjoe posted:

That's a goddamned good Risks section on that Kickstarter.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I managed to run the Jailbreak one-shot for a mixed group of newbies and RPG veterans yesterday. I can confirm it is still The Best One-shot Scenario For Any Game (that I know of).

Only downside was that I made a mistake with giving one player Janet, they weren't really comfortable playing a more talky character, but it was a lot of fun for everybody anyway.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
I was going back through Unknown Armies recently since I haven't looked at it in a while. One thing that stuck out to me was the Unnatural madness meter. It's obvious to me how becoming extremely hardened to the other stresses is bad, but Unnatural just seems to be "You've learned about supernatural stuff and aren't surprised by weird things." It just doesn't seem to be as bad as the effects of the other stresses but it contributes to potentially becoming a sociopath. What am I missing?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Heliotrope posted:

I was going back through Unknown Armies recently since I haven't looked at it in a while. One thing that stuck out to me was the Unnatural madness meter. It's obvious to me how becoming extremely hardened to the other stresses is bad, but Unnatural just seems to be "You've learned about supernatural stuff and aren't surprised by weird things." It just doesn't seem to be as bad as the effects of the other stresses but it contributes to potentially becoming a sociopath. What am I missing?

Everything you know about the world you've lived in your entire life is wrong. You never understood a damned thing at all. You're a babe in the woods and those woods are full of poo poo you can't even begin to comprehend and want to steal your pituitary gland for reasons you could never fathom. Sleep tight!

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

bewilderment posted:

I managed to run the Jailbreak one-shot for a mixed group of newbies and RPG veterans yesterday. I can confirm it is still The Best One-shot Scenario For Any Game (that I know of).

Only downside was that I made a mistake with giving one player Janet, they weren't really comfortable playing a more talky character, but it was a lot of fun for everybody anyway.

I've been saying this for years, because it is true. It is almost worth making new friends in batches of 8 to run this again for new people.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Squidster posted:

According to kindle, I got 26% of the way through before I gave up. It's got some great scenes and a few nice scares, but the characters read like pregen handouts, and the plot felt incredibly jumpy and... tabletoppey. Like I was reading fan fiction of his delta green game, or a con scenario he was writing and then abandoned.

And I own almost everything Stolze has written, fiction and gaming, so I'm already biased towards liking his stuff. Maybe it improves in the later stages of the book?

There are multiple plotlines running through multiple decades, so it takes a while before they all start to converge. I really enjoyed it, personally.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Heliotrope posted:

My take on Unnatural has always been that in order to function we need to believe that the universe acts in a vaguely predictable way. You flick a switch, light comes on. You tell a guy off, he gets mad.

The Unnatural stress is finding that that isn't the case: that the rules we've built up around ourselves are nothing more than doomed attempts to impose structure on a completely chaotic world. It gets triggered when the world doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Becoming hardened in Unnatural means embracing the idea that absolutely nothing will work the way we expect it to, and a person might as likely spit a bullet out of their mouth as shoot you.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Becoming hardened to Unnatural is also just doing poo poo without a regard to how it looks to saner people. Someone with a completely hardened Unnatural track doesn't just realize that they don't know how anything works they've effectively forgotten the original rules that everyone else in society follows. So they'd see no problem with eating a spider in order to gain the ability to detect the manipulations of others. While having an otherwise perfectly normal conversation with someone else. In the middle of a crowded restaurant.

Basically take every one of those conversations you've had where it becomes apparent that the other person is operating by a completely different playbook and ramp it up to 11.

BrainParasite
Jan 24, 2003

Has anybody run Better Angels? Anybody have any tips for a good one shot?

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Benagain posted:

Becoming hardened to Unnatural is also just doing poo poo without a regard to how it looks to saner people. Someone with a completely hardened Unnatural track doesn't just realize that they don't know how anything works they've effectively forgotten the original rules that everyone else in society follows. So they'd see no problem with eating a spider in order to gain the ability to detect the manipulations of others. While having an otherwise perfectly normal conversation with someone else. In the middle of a crowded restaurant.

Basically take every one of those conversations you've had where it becomes apparent that the other person is operating by a completely different playbook and ramp it up to 11.

I like this interpretation better.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I don't think we have a separate thread for REIGN, so here I go:

I really want to make Reign work for my Generic Fantasy Setting, and I think it's a great fit, but there are a ton of little mechanical quibbles I have with it. Before I dive off the deep end and do a ton of work, I have a few questions.

One of my primary complaints with the system is how Combat Secrets are designed. Generally they have two, often mutually exclusive, problems. Sometimes they include a bunch of little bonuses, one of which your players are going to use over and over again most of the times. Or the interact with a system that I'm not a big fan of (looking at Axes and Unworthy Opponents specifically here.)

I'd like to redesign many of the Combat Secrets and Esoteric Disciplines to fit more in line with my mechanical desires. I'd like for them to be all equally attractive. Has anyone ever done anything like that?

e: It's worth noting that I love 80% of the system. The dice mechanics, the random char-gen, the way magic works, the Company system (obv), is all great. I even love the setting but that's just not what I'm looking to use it for.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 1, 2013

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Pretty sure one of the supplements had guidelines on making these up.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mendrian posted:

I don't think we have a separate thread for REIGN, so here I go:

I really want to make Reign work for my Generic Fantasy Setting, and I think it's a great fit, but there are a ton of little mechanical quibbles I have with it. Before I dive off the deep end and do a ton of work, I have a few questions.

One of my primary complaints with the system is how Combat Secrets are designed. Generally they have two, often mutually exclusive, problems. Sometimes they include a bunch of little bonuses, one of which your players are going to use over and over again most of the times. Or the interact with a system that I'm not a big fan of (looking at Axes and Unworthy Opponents specifically here.)

I'd like to redesign many of the Combat Secrets and Esoteric Disciplines to fit more in line with my mechanical desires. I'd like for them to be all equally attractive. Has anyone ever done anything like that?

e: It's worth noting that I love 80% of the system. The dice mechanics, the random char-gen, the way magic works, the Company system (obv), is all great. I even love the setting but that's just not what I'm looking to use it for.

Supplement 11, Constructing Esoterica has guidlines for it. Obviously you'll want to test things yourself and make sure they're not too broken, though.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
I was looking through an old notepad file of my UA notes and found this:

quote:

Barack Obama has no birth certificate because he wasn't born. He was created as part of a complex cliomancer-personamancer major ritual in 2004 during the Democratic National Convention. The birther movement is the subconscious psychic "body" of America activating its immune system in response to a magical threat. There have been several such magical interferences throughout US history in an effort to claim the power the Freemasons encoded into Washington DC, but only thanks to the magical infusions of Mak Attax has the American public gained the mystical awareness to realize the deceit. Why do you think "his" so-called "wife" has been campaigning against fast food? Just look at the demographics of the Tea Party! It all makes sense!

I remember making that one up as I was going along and being amazed at how well it fit together in a completely insane way. Finally I understand how adepts see the world!

Luigi's Discount Porn Bin
Jul 19, 2000

Oven Wrangler
Are there rules for pepper spray in any of the UA sourcebooks? Last night I played my first ever UA game as a DM, a street level one-shot. It went amazingly well but some unexpected stuff happened. One of my players wanted to use pepper spray so I pretty much treated it as a 1-5 damage area effect Struggle-type attack that made the opponent miss a round or gave them a -10% shift for certain actions. This worked great until she rolled 01 against the final boss, which would be an instant kill with any reasonable weapon, so I interpreted this as him being highly allergic to pepper spray and going into anaphylactic shock on the spot. He spent the rest of the combat turning purple and futilely crawling toward an Epi-Pen on the other side of the room while the other PCs shot at him and ultimately bashed him to death with a barbecue lid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
Yeah, there's rules for it in Lawyers, Guns and Money. I don't have my copy with me at the moment but off the top of my head it's a Struggle attack to hit them and then they need to make a Body roll to not lose their next few turns (more if you have police issue super pepper spray). Succeeding the Body roll meant a penalty to all rolls like you had. It was really nasty stuff. It also had rules for tasers which iirc if someone with a Body of 30 or less failed their Body roll they had a heart attack.