Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

LobsterMobster posted:

Apparently the Arizona Open Jiu-Jitsu International has some good grapple men (I don't know grapples too well :( )

Here's Benson Henderson doing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6hxRD6YVs

Can somebody explain BJJ scoring to me? Did Bendo win his on the account of the headlock and choke attempt (?) at the end? Because to me it just looked like he got swept like 3 times and wasn't able to hit any takedowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

1st AD posted:

Can somebody explain BJJ scoring

I am afraid not

delljit
Feb 20, 2004

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

"Qualified" refs can't even do this

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

1st AD posted:

Can somebody explain BJJ scoring to me? Did Bendo win his on the account of the headlock and choke attempt (?) at the end? Because to me it just looked like he got swept like 3 times and wasn't able to hit any takedowns.

Bendo scores a takedown at 2:20 for the only two points of the match. I thought that was a pretty cool sequence Henderson shot and the other guy sprawled but Ben grabbed the leg and forced him down. Christian racked up a couple advantages during the course of the match but he didn't score any points because he wasn't able to maintain the top position for long enough in his sweeps(in BJJ takedown points are awarded as soon as the td is completed but for everything else you have to maintain the position for 3 seconds) all of his takedown attempts were finished outside the mat(and it looked to me after the ref had called time).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

david carmichael posted:

i'm in. the Carmichaelin' Daves will taste victory

That's enough for me. I'll combine the overall March Matness thread with the fantasy thread. Should have it up on Monday or Tuesday.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The D-II Championships were this past weekend. Here's some pictures.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
I've heard(mostly from mma comentators) that the gap in skill is pretty small between d1 and d2 champs is there any truth to that it always sounded silly to me.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I think that notion comes from a few places.

First, people develop at different times so a 5th year senior at a D2 school might have taken that long to develop that athletic ability of a super freak 19 year old D1 redshirt freshman.

Second, there are 73 D1 wrestling programs that are allowed the equivalent of 9.9 full scholarships. And funding for wrestling programs is usually pretty tight so teams don't carry super deep benches or take flyers on guys betting they'll develop in 3 years. So these guys end up in one of the 52 D2 programs that are allowed the equivalent of 9 full scholarships. Compare that to FBS football which is allowed to have 85 players on scholarship (any player on scholarship counts regardless if they are on a full or partial) and add up to 25 new "counters" per year. There are 10,200 FBS scholarships out there, so teams can take a chance on a guy that he'll develop in a couple years.

Third, since there is no "going pro" coming out of collegiate wrestling, the school you attend doesn't have huge implications on your future success. In football if you aren't in FBS your odds of getting drafted drop through the floor. That isn't a consideration for most wrestlers so guys can make decisions based on academics or other factors.

Also, most of the data that we can look at for the competition between D1 and D2 guys comes from MMA, Freestyle, and Greco. But like the Chael Sonnen said in the interview at the top of this page, not everything translates across these disciplines. A D2 collegiate wrestler might be a world class freestyle guy, just because his skillset suits those rules better.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

I've heard(mostly from mma comentators) that the gap in skill is pretty small between d1 and d2 champs is there any truth to that it always sounded silly to me.

I'm sure there are individual D-II or D-III champs who could beat the D-1 champ at their weight some years. But taken in aggregate I don't think they are very close. And the dropoff is much more significant - the low level All Americans in D-II and D-III probably wouldn't even qualify for NCAAs in D-1.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

ch3cooh posted:

Also, most of the data that we can look at for the competition between D1 and D2 guys comes from MMA, Freestyle, and Greco. But like the Chael Sonnen said in the interview at the top of this page, not everything translates across these disciplines. A D2 collegiate wrestler might be a world class freestyle guy, just because his skillset suits those rules better.

This is pretty much how I feel on the subject. D1 is D1 for a reason.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

And here are Leandro Lo vs Augusto Tanquinho in the blackbelt absolute finals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCShrsk40qw

Thanks for posting these. I kind of wish I had known since I could theoretically actually go!

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

I think that notion comes from a few places.

First, people develop at different times so a 5th year senior at a D2 school might have taken that long to develop that athletic ability of a super freak 19 year old D1 redshirt freshman.

Second, there are 73 D1 wrestling programs that are allowed the equivalent of 9.9 full scholarships. And funding for wrestling programs is usually pretty tight so teams don't carry super deep benches or take flyers on guys betting they'll develop in 3 years. So these guys end up in one of the 52 D2 programs that are allowed the equivalent of 9 full scholarships. Compare that to FBS football which is allowed to have 85 players on scholarship (any player on scholarship counts regardless if they are on a full or partial) and add up to 25 new "counters" per year. There are 10,200 FBS scholarships out there, so teams can take a chance on a guy that he'll develop in a couple years.

Third, since there is no "going pro" coming out of collegiate wrestling, the school you attend doesn't have huge implications on your future success. In football if you aren't in FBS your odds of getting drafted drop through the floor. That isn't a consideration for most wrestlers so guys can make decisions based on academics or other factors.

Isn't there also a wealth of talent that doesn't go to a D1 school because of academics, by which I mean they choose to go to a better academic school or for other reasons. I think I remember hearing about Shane Carwin not electing to go to a d1 school because he wanted a better engineering program and Matt Hammil choosing a less ranked wrestling school because he's deaf.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

BlindSite posted:

Isn't there also a wealth of talent that doesn't go to a D1 school because of academics, by which I mean they choose to go to a better academic school or for other reasons. I think I remember hearing about Shane Carwin not electing to go to a d1 school because he wanted a better engineering program and Matt Hammil choosing a less ranked wrestling school because he's deaf.

Carwin wrestled for Western State here in CO and wanted to play football and wrestle. Obviously the wrestling in CO at the high school level so getting a big time program to notice him would be hard (though Wisconsin has a HW from Loveland who I think looks really good for a RS freshman). He was a two time all American in football and was listed as a top MLB in the draft until teams heard about his back problems. So he went back for his last year and won the national championship at HW. Then after he graduated he got a job as an assistant at Mines (Go Diggers!) while he pursued a degree in mechanical engineering.

E: and it's not just me that likes Connor Medbery, he was named Big 10 freshman of the year

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 13, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BlindSite posted:

Yeah, like ch3cooh said, that isn't really the reason he went DII.

There are certainly guys in DII and DIII that could make a DI roster. But they are a very small minority.

There is also a much bigger difference in the level of training that DI guys get. A good DI team has a head coach who was probably an NCAA champion, and in four cases (Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Iowa, and Penn State) an Olympic Champion. Plus assistant coaches who were NCAA champions or multiple time AAs that are young enough to be actively wrestling with the guys on the team. They also will have an affiliated club of Senior level wrestlers, most of whom were also NCAA champions or at least multiple time AAs before graduating. In Nebraska and Penn State's case they have Jordan Burroughs and Jake Varner as members of their respective affiliated clubs. These Senior guys are paid to be workout partners for the college wrestlers between training for their International events. Plus dedicated weight training facilities and nutritionists. A DII or DIII guy is lucky if they have a fraction of those training opportunities.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I never thought about the assistant coaches wrestling with the team, that has to be very helpful. Like, if I was training with several top bb every day I'd be a poo poo load better too.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Apparently the Arizona Open Jiu-Jitsu International has some good grapple men (I don't know grapples too well :( )

Here's Benson Henderson doing stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck6hxRD6YVs

Apparently Bendo's mom competed too :3:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Qualifiers and Brackets are out for NCAA Wrestling. I'll post a preview/fantasy wrestling thread tomorrow.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 14, 2013

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Thread is up. I posted it early in hopes of catching the eye of people who come into the subforum only for the UFC fights.

So go make a fantasy team so I don't feel sad that there's only like two of us.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Sigh Kron really needs some new friends

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

ch3cooh posted:

Sigh Kron really needs some new friends

Kron's been a turd since well before he started training with the Diaz brothers.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master
He's visited and trained with Braulio here in England in the past too, just bizarre behaviour.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Kron is apparently good friends with Kevin Casey and eventually brought him back into his academy after he was kicked out for attempting to promote himself to black belt, so I'd say he has lovely taste in associates in general.

Also, while Kron is pretty good and quite fun to watch, Braulio would choke him nigh unto death.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I know a guy that went to a kron seminar and said he was a dick personally , although it was a good seminar from an information perspective.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
son of "famous" guy turned out to be insecure dick? doubt it.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
Should I start a new thread for Pan Ams or leave discussion here?

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread. I'm probably going to start taking some BJJ classes soon. It's not with a big respected school or anything — the Parks and Rec department in my tiny Missouri town is holding a six-week course on BJJ as a self-defense/fitness thing, so we're not expecting to be ready for competing or anything like that, it just looks fun and obviously we're into MMA so thought it would be cool. What can we expect out of something like that? I am a goon not in shape and don't have much upper body strength going on, so should I anticipate that being a problem of sorts? Any chance I'll actually learn anything? I hope I can finally pretend like I know some basic stuff about cool grapply fights in the GDTs :downs:

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Bluedeanie posted:

Apologies if this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread. I'm probably going to start taking some BJJ classes soon. It's not with a big respected school or anything — the Parks and Rec department in my tiny Missouri town is holding a six-week course on BJJ as a self-defense/fitness thing, so we're not expecting to be ready for competing or anything like that, it just looks fun and obviously we're into MMA so thought it would be cool. What can we expect out of something like that? I am a goon not in shape and don't have much upper body strength going on, so should I anticipate that being a problem of sorts? Any chance I'll actually learn anything? I hope I can finally pretend like I know some basic stuff about cool grapply fights in the GDTs :downs:

You won't learn a ton in 6 weeks but it's better than nothing. Obviously, being in better shape doesn't hurt, but you can definitely start training while in goon shape. When I started 6 years ago I was like 80-90 lbs overweight and hadn't done any exercise since PE classes 4 years earlier I struggled a ton but it's nothing you can't handle.

district of thizz
May 9, 2006

How do, jerry bus.

I doubt that upper body strength would somehow limit what you could do. For me starting out, flexibility was the bigger issue but I'm not sure that is something that would sort itself out in a few weeks. Given that it is a short class hopefully they don't just throw a bunch of moves at you since if you're new to grappling you won't remember poo poo. Depending on what you know already and whatever experience you have if you're able to just be comfortable in the common positions and at least know a single move from each one, that would be a pretty big success.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Bluedeanie posted:

Physical fitness shouldn't really matter. I'd say your goals for six weeks should be to learn how to fall correctly and how to do forward and back rolls, as well as learning basic positions and what they're called.

But uh, if it's actually being advertised as "BJJ for self-defense and fitness" I really wouldn't have very high expectations. Basically nothing you learn in grappling is worth very much if it isn't practiced with some degree of aliveness in drills and sparring with grapplers who know what they're doing, which is unlikely in a six-week self-defense class.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Physical fitness shouldn't really matter. I'd say your goals for six weeks should be to learn how to fall correctly and how to do forward and back rolls, as well as learning basic positions and what they're called.

But uh, if it's actually being advertised as "BJJ for self-defense and fitness" I really wouldn't have very high expectations. Basically nothing you learn in grappling is worth very much if it isn't practiced with some degree of aliveness in drills and sparring with grapplers who know what they're doing, which is unlikely in a six-week self-defense class.

I'm of this opinion as well. A 6 week course advertised as "for self-defense and fitness", won't be the same as joining a gym for 6 weeks. It's probably very different and geared toward pseudo-real life situations like "how to defend yourself if you're attacked from the back" and stuff like that.

As far as strenght is concerned : while it's true that physical strenght is always important when it's time to actually fight, especially when you're a newbie with bad technique, you'll soon figure out that good technique doesn't require a lot of strenght and with time strenght becomes less and less important and you'll get fitter anyway.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004
My IBJJF Pan Am preview thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539314

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Out of curiosity, how do the various grappling tournaments, IBJJF, FILA and ADCC,gi and no GI, rank against each other, prestige wise? I really don't know much about the competitive grappling Circuit.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

My old gym had a good beginner course. It was two lessons a week for 3 months, introducing all the major positions, a couple of escapes from each bottom position, a couple of closed guard sweeps, 5 or 6 subs from the top. All the stuff they taught fit together in simple chains, and there was a decent amount of rolling. At the end of it they gave you a stripe and invited you to the intermediate class. It was good, a 6 week course might be worthwhile if it was well structured.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

DekeThornton posted:

Out of curiosity, how do the various grappling tournaments, IBJJF, FILA and ADCC,gi and no GI, rank against each other, prestige wise? I really don't know much about the competitive grappling Circuit.

ADCC is the most prestigious nogi IBJJF is the most prestigious in the gi and second most nogi(some people might dispute this because the nogi IBJJF rules are different than everyone elses but in terms of talent level it's hard to argue). Fila doesn't really mean anything for BJJ gi or nogi

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

dokomoy posted:

Fila doesn't really mean anything for BJJ gi or nogi

FILA trying to lay claim to BJJ is just a blatant power grab that they are hoping sticks. BJJ probably will eventually coalesce around one major organization but I sure hope it isn't FILA. Even the IJF would be better.

dokomoy
May 21, 2004

Thoguh posted:

FILA trying to lay claim to BJJ is just a blatant power grab that they are hoping sticks. BJJ probably will eventually coalesce around one major organization but I sure hope it isn't FILA. Even the IJF would be better.

I don't know anything about FILA or any of the other organizations that are or could try to get into organizing BJJ but I think the main thing to think about is how entrenched the IBJJF is. Abu Dhabi Pro is putting on a tournament in a couple of weeks that's paying (I think) 8k to black belt weight class winners and 30k to the absolute champion(that was the payout last year) and an awful lot of guys didn't try to even qualify for it so they could focus on the Pan's instead. If you can't lure the top competitors away with that kind of money than it seems to me that we're going to be stuck with the IBJJF for a long time.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
The only leverage that FILA had was that it would be an easier path to getting BJJ in the Olympics. Now that FILA has managed to gently caress everything up by not preventing wrestling from getting booted from the Olympics, they will have absolutely no leverage on BJJ/sub grappling.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
I actually kind of dig FILA's sub grappling rules (and the IBJJF's idiotic reaping bullshit makes me puke with rage) but as an organization they are a hopeless clownshow.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yuns posted:

The only leverage that FILA had was that it would be an easier path to getting BJJ in the Olympics. Now that FILA has managed to gently caress everything up by not preventing wrestling from getting booted from the Olympics, they will have absolutely no leverage on BJJ/sub grappling.

Good, no bjj in the Olympics is a good thing. Ever since I started Judo I understand the hate, so many illogically illegal techniques and positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i hope no gi makes the olympics and a pin becomes a victory condition