Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Saint Darwin posted:

Here's an odd question for you guys. I'm going to camp for 2 weeks in the stupid dead heat of August with about 9 other people. I am in charge of most meals. I need stuff that can hold up in the weather without refrigeration or minimum refrigeration.

I've had good results with a few things. Corned beef hash as mentioned, also good with canned corn mixed in or eggs on top. Vegetable-noodle soups (I use ramen), with carrot, onion, celery, cabbage, and sesame oil / star anise etc. Curries are pretty good. Onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes, coconut milk, chickpeas, veggies... most ingredients do fine. I make a butternut curry during war week after the fresh meat's gone.

Packing meats frozen or pre-cooked helps with flexibility about when it needs to be served, like for a pasta sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Zratha posted:

I was given a bunch of Ceylon cinnamon in bark form, any suggestions on what to do with it? Do I use it much in the way I would use cassia cinnamon?

They are interchangeable, though most people feel like Ceylon has a more delicate, complex flavor, while cassia is more one-note and hot. But that's pretty esoteric in my opinion.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Please tell me some interesting things I can do with white miso. So far I have made miso soup, used it with butter as a dressing for green beans and put it in mashed potatoes.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Did you make a glaze for fish with it?

Did you use it to stir fry eggplant with?

Most importantly, did you eat it on toast?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Anyone got a good tried and true French bread recipe?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

kinmik posted:

Anyone got a good tried and true French bread recipe?
500 grams flour, 375 grams water, 10 grams salt, pinch of yeast. Mix and knead, primary ferment is 60 minutes, fold every 20. Cold ferment until that time the following day. Divide, rest 60 minutes or so. Shape. Proof for 45 minutes to an hour. Score. Bake at 480F/250C until done.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Hi guys, I'm having a big pig roast in the near future. I have in mind something like this, and we'll be buying a young, sixty or seventy pound pig directly from a local farmer.

One thing we're trying to figure out is, who carves the pig and how? Is this something that we're in danger of totally ruining if we try to cut the pig up ourselves?

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
So, I moved into a tiny apartment. It has a tiny oven to match.

I was planning on making something in a Jelly Roll pan, but this kinda pushes the oven open ever so slightly. Like, not much, but enough to break the 'seal' of the oven. The pan seems like it's a quarter of an inch from fitting.

Is it safe to cook like this? Should I modify the heat to compensate that some will be escaping from a busted seal?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It's not going to kill you, it might not stay as hot as it should.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
If there is only a heating element on the bottom, you are going to burn the poo poo out of whatever you put in there. With heat escaping like it will be, the oven isn't going to stay at temp, and will just keep the bottom element on, trying to bring the temp up, at which point you basically have an upside down broiler.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Doom Rooster posted:

If there is only a heating element on the bottom, you are going to burn the poo poo out of whatever you put in there. With heat escaping like it will be, the oven isn't going to stay at temp, and will just keep the bottom element on, trying to bring the temp up, at which point you basically have an upside down broiler.

That's fair, I guess it depends if the crack is 1mm or 1 inch.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
It has heating elements on the top and bottom (just checked).

Would adding +25 degrees be a fair compensation if cooking this way? I'm thinking whatever I cook I'm going to just have to more closely to check if its done - I'm doing baked goods, which does have the issue of being more reliant on steady temperatures as far as I understand.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

It has heating elements on the top and bottom (just checked).

Would adding +25 degrees be a fair compensation if cooking this way? I'm thinking whatever I cook I'm going to just have to more closely to check if its done - I'm doing baked goods, which does have the issue of being more reliant on steady temperatures as far as I understand.

What are you cooking? A cake might be hosed, a beef roast might not care.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Did you make a glaze for fish with it?

Did you use it to stir fry eggplant with?

Most importantly, did you eat it on toast?

Thanks for the tips, I will try it on toast. I like Vegemite, so I think I will like miso on toast too.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Drink and Fight posted:

What are you cooking? A cake might be hosed, a beef roast might not care.

Essentially a cake, so probably hosed. So yeah, I'm thinking I may have to improvise and find smaller pans and just make multiple batches instead of just the single jelly-roll pan batch.

I did this once before and it came out really good:
http://passthesushi.com/peanut-butter-kandy-kakes-from-childhood-memories/

And my cooking experience level is essentially at the point where I'm not afraid to follow a recipe, but if I alter it in anyway, I think I'm going to end up with a charred mess. :ohdear:

But looking it over more closely, it's pretty much a generic cake base. If I use a brownie pan or something, I'll probably be fine as long as I pay attention that'll probably not take 25 minutes. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with the single giant jelly-roll pan batch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Essentially a cake, so probably hosed. So yeah, I'm thinking I may have to improvise and find smaller pans and just make multiple batches instead of just the single jelly-roll pan batch.

And my cooking experience level is essentially at the point where I'm not afraid to follow a recipe, but if I alter it in anyway, I think I'm going to end up with a charred mess. :ohdear:

But looking it over more closely, it's pretty much a generic cake base. If I use a brownie pan or something, I'll probably be fine as long as I pay attention that'll probably not take 25 minutes. I just wasn't sure if I could get away with the single giant jelly-roll pan batch.

Maybe fashion a thick aluminum foil gasket around the open area? It will still have the problem others have mentioned, but maybe not as badly? Be careful of fire hazards here though.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

^^^
I see I'm beaten, but this was to be my suggestion as well. You can actually buy a kind of flat rope at a hardware store that is made to form a gasket on oven, or woodstove, doors. You could jury-rig some sort of latch to keep it as tightly-closed as possible. Bungee cord?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
This is a terrible idea when the solution is to just buy a slightly smaller pan.

Buy a smaller pan, learn to deal with your new oven's constraints, and you'll make delicious food without accidentally burning yourself on some kind of jury-rigged, third-rate, DIY oven seal.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.

SubG posted:

500 grams flour, 375 grams water, 10 grams salt, pinch of yeast. Mix and knead, primary ferment is 60 minutes, fold every 20. Cold ferment until that time the following day. Divide, rest 60 minutes or so. Shape. Proof for 45 minutes to an hour. Score. Bake at 480F/250C until done.
Thanks for this, especially for putting the volume in grams. Do you recommend the shallow pan of water/spraying while proofing too, or should I just nix it? I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong, or if it really just does nothing for me.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Very Strange Things posted:

^^^
I see I'm beaten, but this was to be my suggestion as well. You can actually buy a kind of flat rope at a hardware store that is made to form a gasket on oven, or woodstove, doors. You could jury-rig some sort of latch to keep it as tightly-closed as possible. Bungee cord?

Bungee Cord is usually covered in polypropylene, which melts at about 340F/170C.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

The Juggernaut posted:

Is kielbasa always disgustingly inedible? Or is it just the cheap brands?

There are so many kinds of "kielbasa" out there, you cant generalize. The hillshire farm poo poo should not be used to compare. Good smoked Polska kielbasa will usually be called something other than just kielbasa, i.e. kobanosi, wiejska kielbasa (which also has many different incarnations), or Krakowska, Warszawka kielbasas which are named after the region the came from, etc. And fresh kielbasa is also absolutely delicious if you can find it (often sold as Biala (white) Kielbasa I think), and grill it in a nice big coil.

If you live in a city somewhere, there is probably a polish butcher who makes assorted sausages and smoked meats (we have a few over here in baltimore that my family frequents). I have always found that if you leave the store with your kielbasa wrapped in butcher paper and not a vacuum sealed package, the chances that it will be good are much higher.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

kinmik posted:

Thanks for this, especially for putting the volume in grams. Do you recommend the shallow pan of water/spraying while proofing too, or should I just nix it? I'm not sure if I was doing it wrong, or if it really just does nothing for me.

Depends on how humid your home is and how much yeast you have. If you proof really fast it's kinda nice to spray down with oil or water once, lest the top of the dough cracks and looks ugly.

When you bake, I suggest tossing an ice cube or two in the bottom of your oven right before shutting thedoor.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
Thanks for the advice on the steak, y'all. Now I have a new question: How do I shop for truffle oil? I saw some at the grocer today and almost impulse bought it but I didn't want to come home and find out I just bought garbage for $52/pint

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

So, I moved into a tiny apartment. It has a tiny oven to match.

I was planning on making something in a Jelly Roll pan, but this kinda pushes the oven open ever so slightly. Like, not much, but enough to break the 'seal' of the oven. The pan seems like it's a quarter of an inch from fitting.

Is it safe to cook like this? Should I modify the heat to compensate that some will be escaping from a busted seal?

I just did this recently making stuffed peppers. Food came out fine, might have left it in a tad bit longer. But I was pretty sure that if I left it any longer the knobs of the oven were gonna melt off.

I have never baked but i suspect that a cake is a bit more delicate than stuffed peppers

jesspater
Feb 13, 2013

axolotl farmer posted:

Please tell me some interesting things I can do with white miso. So far I have made miso soup, used it with butter as a dressing for green beans and put it in mashed potatoes.

I use it as a salad dressing - i add it to rice wine vinegar, olive oil and a little bit of sesame oil. It's got a really complex but light flavor that way. Ginger is also really good. This is the first salad dressing i tried with it. It's amazing!
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Miso-Carrot-and-Sesame-Dressing-395035

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
Opted for brownie pan instead. Came out okay, despite botching it on thickness(Two batches to use up the batter, one really thick batch, one really thin batch. Whoops.)

Learned on top of being tiny, it's weak. Took 30m at its 375(higher than recipe.) Only here a week and I'm know I'm in for at least a year of fighting my oven. Cooking is always more fun when you're trying to fidget with your equipment as much as trying to make the recipe work. :allears:

Thanks all for the guidance.

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I was gonna make some braised bok choy, and I had this crazy idea to top it with an egg. Would this be weird?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Hello GWS, I recently had the idea that I would like to try pickling my own fish. I plan on getting a fishing license this year and doing some local fishing and pickling. I am in Wisconsin so local catches would be Crappie, Bluegill, Bass, Pike etc... But I'm not sure of any good pickling recipes and standards and what fish would be best to experiment with. Any suggestions or recipes would be helpful, thanks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Something dense and firm. Perch and walleye wouldn't be bad. You could always get a mess of smelt to pickle too.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.
Food safety question, save me from myself!

I have one of these:

Unfortunately, the label fell off so I can't see the expiration date. Under the cap there is what appears to be a made-on date: May 5th, 2012. The bottle was previously opened, probably ~6 months ago (but maybe more). It hasn't been opened since, and has been refrigerated since being opened. My roommate and I both agree that it smells like relatively normal mayo. He's being a pussy and telling me not to eat it.

Goons, can I make myself some tuna sandwich with this bitch without dying a horrible death or spending the next 3 weeks on the toilet? Appreciate any and all insight.

edit: Sandwich, not salad. Don't have any of the ingredients. :saddowns:

Pissingintowind fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 13, 2013

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Throw it out, make some homemade mayo real quick, and then proceed to make things with that. Even if the other stuff is fine, you'll be happier this way.

Trust me.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Throw it out, make some homemade mayo real quick, and then proceed to make things with that. Even if the other stuff is fine, you'll be happier this way.

Trust me.

If I'm resorting to 6+ month old mayo for a tuna sandwich, what makes you think I have anything except a can of tuna, bread and said mayo in my house at the moment? :v:

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pissingintowind posted:

If I'm resorting to 6+ month old mayo for a tuna sandwich, what makes you think I have anything except a can of tuna, bread and said mayo in my house at the moment? :v:

If you don't have an egg, some vinegar, and some oil (and maybe some mustard and salt) then I'm afraid it's a stiff drink and straight to bed for you.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Casu Marzu posted:

Depends on how humid your home is and how much yeast you have. If you proof really fast it's kinda nice to spray down with oil or water once, lest the top of the dough cracks and looks ugly.
Yeah, I usually cover a proofing loaf loosely with some plastic wrap dusted with flour. Since it's more or less a closed environment, it'll maintain a pretty consistent hydration.

Instead of the ice cube trick, I usually put a baking pan in the bottom of the oven with some water in it as I'm preheating, and then when right before I put the bread in I sorta fling some water around just by wetting my hand and flicking it into the oven. It's really one of those personal ritual things because unless you happen to be using an oven with built in steam, you're basically just working around your oven's particular behaviour---convection ovens tend to run drier, for example.

Nelson Mandela
Jun 4, 2007

SO SHINY
SO CHROME
Got that meal coming up tomorrow. I'm cooking at my girl's place and I'd like to prep a few things here earlier on in the day to make the process smoother over there. Cooking the sauce/glaze is the main time-waster so ideally I'd like to do that before.

It's the one from this recipe: maple syrup, whiskey and orange zest/juice. Do you think if I make this in advance, let it cool and bring it in a small container, that it'll go back to normal with a little heat? It's not going to do anything weird when I warm it a second time, right?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Opted for brownie pan instead. Came out okay, despite botching it on thickness(Two batches to use up the batter, one really thick batch, one really thin batch. Whoops.)

Learned on top of being tiny, it's weak. Took 30m at its 375(higher than recipe.) Only here a week and I'm know I'm in for at least a year of fighting my oven. Cooking is always more fun when you're trying to fidget with your equipment as much as trying to make the recipe work. :allears:

Thanks all for the guidance.

Good luck. I had a combi-oven until recently, and any kind of baking was horrible. I had brownies which I had to cook for 45 minutes longr than the recipe time, cakes which burnt on top while still being raw in the middle (at 340F) and all sorts of annoying poo poo. Eventually I splashed out on one of these (sorry, can't find a page in English):

http://www.bcc.nl/delonghi-eo3275.html

And all is right in the world again.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Yeah, I usually cover a proofing loaf loosely with some plastic wrap dusted with flour. Since it's more or less a closed environment, it'll maintain a pretty consistent hydration.

Instead of the ice cube trick, I usually put a baking pan in the bottom of the oven with some water in it as I'm preheating, and then when right before I put the bread in I sorta fling some water around just by wetting my hand and flicking it into the oven. It's really one of those personal ritual things because unless you happen to be using an oven with built in steam, you're basically just working around your oven's particular behaviour---convection ovens tend to run drier, for example.

I use a ceramic cloche/dome which traps the steam right good. However, my oven has the option to operate with or without fan. I remember reading that bread should be without fan to retain moisture.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've been using a Dutch oven along those lines as well

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Steve Yun posted:

I've been using a Dutch oven along those lines as well

Yeah I used to use a Dutch oven for that purpose. Works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

warheadr
Jul 6, 2005
There's doesn't seem to be a Chicago dining thread, so I'll ask here unless someone thinks a standalone one should be made.

I'm going to Chicago for a long weekend getaway next month. I've never been before and hear great things. My girlfriend and I are pretty much just playing tourist but are looking for some good spots to eat. We only have a few days and are hoping to get in one really nice meal. Right now I have reservations at Spiaggia, which I read a lot about everywhere but for all I know that just means it's overhyped and overpriced so I'm hoping someone has some input. Beyond that any recommendations for breakfast, lunch or dinner would be most appreciated. One dinner can break the bank but I'm hoping the rest can be more reasonable and accessible while out and about seeing the sights. All I have to go on now are the standard online resources like Yelp, which for a city that size and having never been is a bit daunting sorting through the clutter and what's actually good and not.