Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Thanks! Gonna give MX Player a go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siliziumleben
Dec 4, 2003

The scientists' findings were astounding! They discovered that the powers of the Metroid might be harnessed for the good of civilization!
I've been using the MyFitnessPal app for calorie/macronutrient tracking, but I find the app to be somewhat cumbersome to use. Is there another diet tracking app with a food database that's as good as MFP's?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Siliziumleben posted:

I've been using the MyFitnessPal app for calorie/macronutrient tracking, but I find the app to be somewhat cumbersome to use. Is there another diet tracking app with a food database that's as good as MFP's?

If I remember right you can use the Fitbit app without the hardware, and it's got a fairly decent database.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

MikeJF posted:

MX and DICE are usually the recommended two good choices.

Dice is great as a really simple player that will let you have a floating window while you do other stuff, which is handy sometimes

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Siliziumleben posted:

Haven't found one. Fitbit's is pretty good, but it doesn't seem to be as detailed and some of the calories/serving are off in the foods I've found.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

The iOS Gmail app got a nice redesign that makes it look a lot more like the desktop version of Gmail. Today, the Gmail devs changed the redesign for the Gmail mobile site to look exactly like the iOS app...instead of the Android app. They say they only changed it because of users wanting it.

https://plus.google.com/u/0/+Gmail/posts/bM8efmeZamc

I would say it looks like we'll see an update to it in maybe KLP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there an app that would let write some small notes/memos on my desktop PC, and then it would sync with my tablet (and vice-versa)? Dropbox kind of does that, but you can't open whatever you write very quickly.

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
Evernote

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Alternatively, if all you're looking for is literally just text notes, then try Epistle. It'll sync your notes to Dropbox so you can open the text files on your PC and use the app to access them with a nice clean and quick UI on your phone.

If you need anything more advanced than that then yeah, Evernote.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks! Evernote was precisely what I was looking for.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Can anyone recommend an RSS reader? It'll be used for looking at a constantly updated list of posts on a forum. Any suggestions?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
Anyone else using Sliding Messaging? I bought the pro version on impulse a couple months ago when I was searching for a replacement for GoSMS, and it was filled with bugs for a while. After a ton of updates by the dev it seems to be working quite well now (full MMS support seems to be the last thing he needs to fix). It's definitely the best looking SMS app I've been able to find. Pretty cool interface too, with the whole sliding idea.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Stevie Lee posted:

Anyone else using Sliding Messaging? I bought the pro version on impulse a couple months ago when I was searching for a replacement for GoSMS, and it was filled with bugs for a while. After a ton of updates by the dev it seems to be working quite well now (full MMS support seems to be the last thing he needs to fix). It's definitely the best looking SMS app I've been able to find. Pretty cool interface too, with the whole sliding idea.

Last I tried, it had problems anytime you tried to scroll down past the pre-loaded threads and would lock up and FC.

I ended up just switching to Facebook Messenger and letting it do SMS/MMS as well as FB chat. I like the aggregation and I've been very satisfied, with the exception that if you have no internet connection, the conversation list won't load right. This only is a nuisance when I'm on the metro or something, otherwise it's imperceptible.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I'm using Lite Flow (free version) on a Moto Razr HD and I'm noticing that if there are two notifications active with different colors assigned it seems to get confused. Like, it'll blink one color for a bit, then blink the other color a few times, and then back. Is there a way to tell Lite Flow to only blink a notification for the most recent event that's occurred?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Require More Fire posted:

I'm using Lite Flow (free version) on a Moto Razr HD and I'm noticing that if there are two notifications active with different colors assigned it seems to get confused. Like, it'll blink one color for a bit, then blink the other color a few times, and then back. Is there a way to tell Lite Flow to only blink a notification for the most recent event that's occurred?
There's an option in the settings for it to cycle notifications, show only the most recent notification, or show only the highest-priority notification. It might only be in the paid version, though.

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Stevie Lee posted:

It seems like all these nice messaging apps never have MMS support. Why?? It makes it so hard to use since you have to switch back and forth to another app. Yes I wish everybody would just email pictures.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

There's an option in the settings for it to cycle notifications, show only the most recent notification, or show only the highest-priority notification. It might only be in the paid version, though.

Nope, I have it on the free version. Didn't realize that's what that was. Thanks.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Stevie Lee posted:

I've been using it and like it. Luckily my friends don't do the MMS thing a whole lot.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of LiteFlow, Gmail has stopped activating the notification light on my Nexus 4. Not sure why. It's the only app doing it too.

Could it be because I restored LiteFlow's settings from Carbon Backup?

revolther
May 27, 2008
I know folks already recommended Evernote, but GNotes is pretty sweet for quick notes/voice recordings, and defaults to saving everything to a folder in your Gmail account, which I found preferable to Evernote and eventually having to migrate my data or pay for a service.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH

Gozinbulx posted:

Can anyone recommend an RSS reader? It'll be used for looking at a constantly updated list of posts on a forum. Any suggestions?

The stock Google Reader app is really reliable. If not you can look at Minimal Reader Pro.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Press is a nice reader that feeds off your Google Reader account.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any apps that will stream from Twitch.TV that don't require flash? The official twitch.tv app is basically unusable and it seems like most 3rd party apps won't work without flash support.

jalopybrown
Oct 11, 2012

odiv posted:

Apparently some free apps I want aren't available in my region (yay!). Is there a way around this?

I tried using OpenVPN for Android with no luck, so maybe I have to make and use a different google account?

Alternately, is there's somewhere I can grab the apks? The search results for apk files look sketchy as gently caress so far.

I don't know if your still looking for this but if you're rooted Market Enabler http://me.rac.su/home

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.

AppleCobbler posted:

I ended up just switching to Facebook Messenger and letting it do SMS/MMS as well as FB chat. I like the aggregation and I've been very satisfied, with the exception that if you have no internet connection, the conversation list won't load right. This only is a nuisance when I'm on the metro or something, otherwise it's imperceptible.

Can I ask how you did this? I use the app a lot on my Nexus 4, but I can't find any settings options to enable it to handle all my SMS/MMS needs.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Gozinbulx posted:

I use greader pro and don't really have any complaints about it, it got updated with a nice new holo ui just recently too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noinnion.android.greader.readerpro&hl=en

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I use greader pro and don't really have any complaints about it, it got updated with a nice new holo ui just recently too.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.noinnion.android.greader.readerpro&hl=en

I also use greader pro and really like it (enough obviously to pay money for it). The last update was kinda meh though. It looks really weird in portrait mode now. Like, you can see some part of the feed already but not really that much of it. And you can't turn that two panel mode off

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

Venkmanologist posted:

Can I ask how you did this? I use the app a lot on my Nexus 4, but I can't find any settings options to enable it to handle all my SMS/MMS needs.

I have a Galaxy Note 2 with 4.1.2 on it. When I experimented with a custom 4.2.2 ROM, the Facebook Messenger app wouldn't show the option. I don't know if it's a restriction for 4.2, or if it's a restriction for Global vs. US or Touchwiz vs. AOSP, but it's blocked out for some phones. That was actually one of the chief reasons I went back to a TW ROM.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Gozinbulx posted:

I really like Feedly, but it might be a little much just for forum posts.

So I recently bought Pocket Casts, and while I really like it for the most part, the fact that it marks all but the most recent episodes of any given podcast as "played" is extremely loving annoying since any given episode I download that is older will not show up as downloaded unless I open it from the episode list and specifically mark it as unplayed. That's ridiculous, especially considering there are a lot of podcasts I'll only tune into from time to time if the guests or topics are interesting to me, and it's an extra step every time. It makes it more of a pain than it should be to try and discover new shows. Any way to mark all as unplayed? Google wasn't much help; recent results were mostly tech blogs gushing over the new design. I'd also love to be able to import already downloaded episodes I haven't gotten around to just yet since some of those have fallen behind the paywalls of their creators (This American Life, WTF, etc.).

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Press is a nice reader that feeds off your Google Reader account.

Gonna second Press as a good RSS reader if you are using Google Reader as well. I'm pretty happy with it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Speaking of LiteFlow, Gmail has stopped activating the notification light on my Nexus 4. Not sure why. It's the only app doing it too.

Could it be because I restored LiteFlow's settings from Carbon Backup?

Lightflow is fine for me if I have it notify for the Inbox but nonfunctional if I set it to notify for the Priority inbox only.

free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't get much service from the inside of my house. What's the best wifi texting app? Preferably one that doesn't advertise itself after every message I send.

uapyro
Jan 13, 2005

Red Suit posted:

I don't get much service from the inside of my house. What's the best wifi texting app? Preferably one that doesn't advertise itself after every message I send.

Either Google Voice if you live where it's available, or https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=MightyText&hl=en MightyText. For the MightyText (and similar services besides Google Voice) you'll have to have it where you get signal, otherwise they won't work.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Red Suit posted:

What about getting a femtocell so you've got a good signal in your house?

:L
Oct 28, 2004

Is there any good tracking apps that can map the routes I take while riding? I tend to go all over the place so I want an app that can show me a map of where I traveled on a computer or something. Bonus if it's compatible with Korea, and even better if it'll calculate my total distance / time as well.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

:L posted:

Is there any good tracking apps that can map the routes I take while riding? I tend to go all over the place so I want an app that can show me a map of where I traveled on a computer or something. Bonus if it's compatible with Korea, and even better if it'll calculate my total distance / time as well.

Google MyTracks

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

:L posted:

When you say riding, are you talking bikes? Or another mode?
Strava works well to show past tracks. It syncs with Strava.com, which is a fitness social media type site (a lot of goons in YLLS use it for cycling). If you are tracking Car/Train/Bus movement, something like MyTracks would work. I've not used it for a long while as I changed over to a garmin+strava. But it looks like it now has online sharing.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
Endomondo is another decent sports tracker in the same vein as Strava.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/03/13/breaking-google-has-begun-purging-ad-blocking-apps-from-the-play-store/

Adblock Plus, AdFree Android, and Ad Blocker ★ Root ★ have all been removed from the Play Store by Google just a few minutes ago.

The reasoning being they all violate the Play Store Developer Distribution Agreement:

4.4 Prohibited Actions. You agree that you will not engage in any activity with the Market, including the development or distribution of Products, that interferes with, disrupts, damages, or accesses in an unauthorized manner the devices, servers, networks, or other properties or services of any third party including, but not limited to, Android users, Google or any mobile network operator. You may not use customer information obtained from the Market to sell or distribute Products outside of the Market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That's a shame. I wonder if there will ever be a decent third-party app store along the lines of Cidia or whatever iOS jailbroken devices have.

• Locked thread