Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007

quaunaut posted:

I'll add that in Tetris, it's up to you to make sure the puzzle arena doesn't get overwhelmed! And for Heavy Rain, only you can solve the mystery of the origami killer!

No need to be condescending pricks about it. I don't think it applies to everything as I already said, but I think games are generally power fantasies. You guys think differently, I was just responding to the guy saying "obviously games that aren't power fantasies, see [these examples]" which I disagreed with. I feel like I made my point reasonably. I don't think those games (Tetris, HR) are power fantasies. I think most games are. I'm sorry this offends you. I don't really care whether game X is a power fantasy or not, I was just sharing my opinion about your mention of DkS and Minecraft. I'm not alone in this, if that makes you less smug about it:
http://bitmob.com/articles/the-minecraft-power-fantasy
http://ettugamer.com/2013/01/29/the-stock-of-games/

I'll drop it now as I'm sure this line of discussion is banal enough for all involved.

I hope the next TR game has puzzles beyond setting things on fire and playing weight puzzles like Half Life 2. These tombs are getting old, they're all very similar so far. I think I just finished the 5th one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It would be nice if you could carry a discussion without using "It's my opinion" cop-out for an argument and then pick up your ball and go home, because it's almost as if we didn't know that your post just represented your opinion or something, or by goodness would ask you to argue in favor of your opinion.

It's not that I can't see all games as some sort of "power fantasy", it's just that the term looses its meaning if every candidate meets the criteria for it and it becomes synonymous with the previous term. Unless you assign clear lines in how it differs from other products, it is entirely meaningless as a term.

"Games are escapism" however isn't something I disagree with, and escapism is synonymous with video games. But is "power fantasy"? I don't think so, as not everyone plays games in a manner that allow them to meet the criteria for the term.

I will agree that a lot of games fall into the category to the point where you could get confused and think it synonymous, however.

And that is my opinion, but you don't need me to tell you that.

quaunaut
Sep 15, 2007

WHOOSH
I wasn't meaning to be a dick about it, so if it came off that way, I apologize. But sincerely- Heavy Rain I'd say is almost definitively a power fantasy, at least in part. The story relies on you. Sure, they take away here and there, but is it anything but a more advanced version of the Metroid tease, really?

Tetris obviously less so, but it shows just how hard you can push it- and to me, calling Minecraft a power fantasy pretty much requires that. You might not be alone in that line of thinking, but I think it's a bit simplistic, hence why I called it so vacuous earlier. It's not seeing why these choices are made, and it doesn't allow for someone making the difference between the fascination of adaptation and skill, or the "I was born amazing" of God of War. It doesn't really allow for any distinction at all, and the logic presented lets you push the term onto anything.

And when I'd originally said 'anything', I really did mean that- you could call life itself a power fantasy at that point. You toil every day, hoping to eventually get to do what you want, whether that's the Presidency, or just the ability to get home and have a beer while watching TV without someone annoying you. Having power over the domain that is your life.

But equally, I'd argue calling life a power fantasy is pointless- it's just someone wanting to be happy. Wanting to be President could be perceived as a power fantasy, but is it really that, or is it someone just wanting to make a better life for those that they can, and that gives them the most ability to enact change?

That's why I have the issue: If it can conflate two completely separate ideals and not help define either of them any better, it probably doesn't really apply. But then you have something like God of War- that is, by definition, a power fantasy. Far Cry 3, at least according to its story, is a good example of a power fantasy, because it is by design, supposed to be about how the 'white man' came to liberate this island of savages(according to the writer).

Comparing that to Tomb Raider, where it's more just about survival and learning to cope with dangerous situations, and development constraints shove on them the need for enough gunplay that it hits diminishing returns in narrative rewards. There's a real difference there, and it feels wholly reductionist to call the latter a power fantasy as a result.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Excuse me for having no clue what you guys are on about, but isn't it wonderful when a zelda-esq game is done well on the PC? I'm really enjoying the game so far . I'm curious if there are any other zelda like games out for pc?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I think the biggest issues with this whole "Nathan Drake is history's greatest monster" concept are firstly, the holding of the game to higher standards than any other action or pulp narrative in any other medium. Indiana Jones COULD have yelled to the big guy that the plane was going to chop him up, but he doesn't, what a sociopath!

Secondly, I've always seen these kinds of stories as taking place in a hyper-reality. The vast numbers of enemies are more to convey the impression of overwhelming odds, rather than being literal representations.

I'm also curious how everyone who thinks Lara is a horrible person for defending herself and working to free her friends from those victimising and imprisoning them would suggest she achieve those goals, assuming no changes to the behaviour of the Solarii and co. She's tried negotiation. Doesn't work. Stealth is almost impossible after a point, if she wants to rescue those people...

So she either fights back... or runs away. I have a hard time seeing 'leaves a half dozen people to be beaten and murdered, potentially releasing a power-hungry witch-queen on the world' as the more 'heroic' option.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ethanol posted:

Excuse me for having no clue what you guys are on about, but isn't it wonderful when a zelda-esq game is done well on the PC? I'm really enjoying the game so far . I'm curious if there are any other zelda like games out for pc?

That would depend on what you mean be zelda-esqe, IMO this game has very little in common with Zelda outside of having some kind of platforming and getting new tools. What is it you want out of a Zelda-esqe game? and there is probably some games that fit.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Hel posted:

That would depend on what you mean be zelda-esqe, IMO this game has very little in common with Zelda outside of having some kind of platforming and getting new tools. What is it you want out of a Zelda-esqe game? and there is probably some games that fit.

Climbing vines and jumping puzzles really.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

I didn't think of it like that, but I'd probably give it this over Darksiders.

But I don't think it's quite Zelda-like. It's a tough feeling to nail down.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

ethanol posted:

Climbing vines and jumping puzzles really.

Most platformers on PC seem to be 2D ones as of late, but I know there are some 3D ones as well even if they are multiplatform so you might have played them already. you could always check out the older Tomb Raider games they are pretty good even if they have old controls up to and including Angel of Darkness(which IMO isn't as bad as people say.), you could also try the 3D Prince of Persia games(Sands of Time etc.).
But yeah there are not that many good platformers for PC that I can think of at the moment, which is why I had hoped this game would have had less combat and more puzzles and platforming. Some stealth games have a bit of platforming in them but they has a different feel to them.

As ^ mentioned The Darksiders games are somewhat Zelda like and has quite a bit of jumping around but they are also rather combat heavy.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Gaz-L posted:

I think the biggest issues with this whole "Nathan Drake is history's greatest monster" concept are firstly, the holding of the game to higher standards than any other action or pulp narrative in any other medium. Indiana Jones COULD have yelled to the big guy that the plane was going to chop him up, but he doesn't, what a sociopath!

Secondly, I've always seen these kinds of stories as taking place in a hyper-reality. The vast numbers of enemies are more to convey the impression of overwhelming odds, rather than being literal representations.

I'm also curious how everyone who thinks Lara is a horrible person for defending herself and working to free her friends from those victimising and imprisoning them would suggest she achieve those goals, assuming no changes to the behaviour of the Solarii and co. She's tried negotiation. Doesn't work. Stealth is almost impossible after a point, if she wants to rescue those people...

So she either fights back... or runs away. I have a hard time seeing 'leaves a half dozen people to be beaten and murdered, potentially releasing a power-hungry witch-queen on the world' as the more 'heroic' option.

It's partially a result of games trying to be more movie like and trying to have actual characters. Indiana Jones only kills like 10 people right? Drake kills like 500. If Lara only had to kill like a dozen people it we probably wouldn't have this discussion as much. But there's still the issue of the heroic likable character killing so many enemies. It cheapens the entire thing because everything becomes disposable. (though Indy's nazi enemies are the epitome of cannon fodder to be fair)

I agree with the hyper reality, but what hurts Tomb Raider is that they clearly started with a gritty survival game before they shifted gears into Uncharted. So your first impression is "take this VERY seriously" because it's almost comically dark at the beginning. But it quickly turns into an action game and that shift is very abrupt.

Plus there's the fact that Lara is a hot woman and I think people are much less comfortable with a woman killing hundreds of people than a dude.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I didn't realize darksiders 2 was out for pc, I'll give it a try.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ethanol posted:

I didn't realize darksiders 2 was out for pc, I'll give it a try.

The three previous current gen Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) have a lot more climbing vines and jumping puzzles than this one does, I've no idea how good the PC ports were though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I beat this last night having never played a Tomb Raider game before. Holy poo poo, that was fun! I stuck to the bow the entire game, but when Lara finally got her dual pistols at the end, I kind of fist pumped. I am a little annoyed that there's no new game+, running through the areas collecting stuff and fighting stragglers really isn't the same. Time to give multiplayer a shot today.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Sakurazuka posted:

The three previous current gen Tomb Raider games (Legend, Anniversary and Underworld) have a lot more climbing vines and jumping puzzles than this one does, I've no idea how good the PC ports were though.

They're really good, performance wise. I would recommend playing them with a controller though, because they're obviously designed to be played that way.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Soonmot posted:

I beat this last night having never played a Tomb Raider game before. Holy poo poo, that was fun! I stuck to the bow the entire game, but when Lara finally got her dual pistols at the end, I kind of fist pumped. I am a little annoyed that there's no new game+, running through the areas collecting stuff and fighting stragglers really isn't the same. Time to give multiplayer a shot today.

I thought getting that last 1000 salvage to finish upgrading my rifle was going to be a pain. Man Rambo arrows make deer hunting so fun :haw:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

notZaar posted:

They're really good, performance wise. I would recommend playing them with a controller though, because they're obviously designed to be played that way.
Yeah the latest TR is the first game on pc I've played with QTE sequences. I dislike it on gamepads, but with a keyboard? Pure hell.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I just beat it! Man, this whole game is great. Especially towards the end...some of the enemies you fight at the end are awesome. I played on Hard difficulty the entire time and I'm so glad I did, because it wasn't too hard and if I played on Normal it probably would've been too easy. When you fight the Storm Guard at the end it was too cool. It really reminded me of Resident Evil 4. How heavily armored they were, and how there were tons of them all running at you with swords and how taking out their legs made them stumble was all so RE4 like, and fighting the giant Oni at the end really really reminded me of the fight with the blind Ganados in RE4, except maybe even better.

I'm no third person shooter aficcionado, but at this point in time this may be my second favorite of all time right after RE4.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Dan Didio posted:

All the content you saw in the promotional stuff is in there, but it's a very different game than those trailers would suggest.

And, while she gets impaled on quite a few things, sometimes a foot-long piece of rebar to the kidneys is just a foot-long piece of rebar to the kidneys.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I can only assume the pop psychology pablum in here is the result of multiple people accidentally trolling each other. If not please link me to all your tumblrs.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

This game has given me the inspiration to finish Underworld. I think I stopped at the temple you reach by motorcycle.

User0015
Nov 24, 2007

Please don't talk about your sexuality unless it serves the ~narrative~!
The point of no return is obvious, right?

For reference, I just Saved sam from the burning palace and am now packing a grenade launcher

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
It will explicitly tell you when the point of no return comes up.

You can go back to the island after the story is over and collect collectibles, however, so it's a little pointless.

EDIT: Actually, it could be handy for getting upgrades/level ups prior to the final 'level'.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

User0015 posted:

The point of no return is obvious, right?

For reference, I just Saved sam from the burning palace and am now packing a grenade launcher

Its literally called "The Point of No Return: Lara cannot fast travel from camps after this point."

EDIT: Also spoiler about your progress: I was worried that was the endgame as well, but you're probably around the 60-70% point.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

This game has given me the inspiration to finish Underworld. I think I stopped at the temple you reach by motorcycle.

The second level?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SurrealityCheck posted:

The second level?

Isn't there a mansion level in between the boat and there or am I getting confused with Legend?

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Isn't there a mansion level in between the boat and there or am I getting confused with Legend?

The game begins in the mansion for a few minutes, cuts to the Mediterranean, goes to thailand, finishes mansion, goes to mexico. So really 4th/5th. Been a while haha

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm in Northern Mexico stumped in the room with the big Thor statue. :shobon:

I also keep trying to do certain moves like I did in Tomb Raider.

SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm in Northern Mexico stumped in the room with the big Thor statue. :shobon:

I also keep trying to do certain moves like I did in Tomb Raider.

Want help?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I think so, yeah. I remember doing stuff in here but not exactly. Also, how do I get the treasure from under the block?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

EDIT: Also spoiler about your progress: I was worried that was the endgame as well, but you're probably around the 60-70% point.

This is actually one of the things I liked most about this game. I remember the day it came out some people commented that the game was quite short, so there were at least three points in the game where I assumed I was on my way to the game's finale, and afterward the game just kept on going. As a result it didn't feel short to me, though I might have felt differently if I hadn't already been expecting a short game.

Also, I wish CD would hurry up and release a DLC for the Aviatrix skin so I can replay this game.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Reveilled posted:

Also, I wish CD would hurry up and release a DLC for the Aviatrix skin so I can replay this game.

It's out on the 360.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Never played a game in the "Tomb Raider" series before but I just finished this and all I'll say is holy gently caress that was amazing.

Dol
Feb 16, 2007

Having just finished the single player (with 100% completion) I'm pleasantly surprised just how great this game was. I really really enjoyed it!

harskarenjag
Mar 11, 2008
What the gently caress button do I press on PC whenever the russian guy chokes me to death? I've died 27 times in a row now trying everything and a button never comes up.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

harskarenjag posted:

What the gently caress button do I press on PC whenever the russian guy chokes me to death? I've died 27 times in a row now trying everything and a button never comes up.

The two buttons are E and F, though I'm not sure which is the main "fight" button on the keyboard (I think it's F. On a controller it's the Y button). For some reason they just used an "!" instead, apparently? Really the only major issue with the port from what I've noticed.

Decided to upgrade from my GTS450 (which has been quite a workhorse for anyone looking for cheap GPUs) to an HD7770. Definitely noticed the difference right away with TressFX on, though it's still a little slower than I'd like. Also, oh man shakey-cam everywhere. With the power of decent framerates in my comp, I blasted through a few more sections tonight and this is, hands down, the most fun I've had since luring a Thresher Maw in ME3. I just finished the burning temple chase towards the helicopter and subsequent death of Roth. Holy fuuuuuck this game :tviv:

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Mar 14, 2013

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

ExplodingSquid posted:

I just finished the game 10 minutes ago and loving loved every moment of it. I could be biased since Tomb Raider 1 was the first ever game I bought with my own money but god drat that was entertaining.

I'm hoping to hell in the next one they reintroduce the mansion.

And the swan dive. There are so many places around the island I would love to watch Lara swan dive to her death from. That never got old

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Are weapon upgrade parts just random chance pickups? Or is it a mix of some specific location (like the one guy in the hurricane/bell puzzle room) and random pickup? I'm in the "hope you like stealth kills/wolves" woods after Ol' Axe-Back Roth bites the dust and am currently stuck with all of the second weapons, hoping they all come along by the end, which honestly can't be that far now.

On the upside, I murder enough animals that I usually have been able to buy all or almost all the upgrades when a weapon unlocks. Lara Croft: Deer Hunter.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
You must spend a pretty impressive amount of time killing deer and bunnies to get that much salvage :aaa:

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I don't know what's funnier: that animals eat so much metal junk on the island that their innards are full of screws and nuts, or that Lara's guns are a morbid mixture of rabbit guts and steel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I'm still puzzled by the reviews to this game treating it as a GOTY contender. It's Uncharted. Every time I ran straight forwards while things exploded around me, I thought "Yep, done this before.". Combat was just plain dull: bad guys would crouch behind cover but leave their head out for an arrow to the eye. Only the fight in Shantytown took a few goes because there were just so many of them.

It was okay. I finished it, and the last hour was a hell of a lot more interesting, but I didn't see any reason to keep it or ever want to play it again.

• Locked thread