Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Lol I don't have time for that poo poo.

Here is film vs digital argument:

Do you want natural film grains and natural 14 ish stops dynamic range? Or do you want to be able to roll forever and save post production money?

You can add film grain to digital but it can be costly on a feature film. You also get the grain if you get a film out but like anybody is doing that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

it's on netflix and its good you should watch it

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
hey, how is 3d image saved on blu-ray?

i imagine the normal image data is either left or the right eye and then there is some extra track that maybe encodes the differences between the main picture and the other eye?

is there any software that can display (and change back and forth between) the other eye image for any given frame of a movie?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why can't digital sensors be better than film yet?

just for the sake of argument, lets say our sensor is black and white, just records intensity. maybe it can handle 10 stops? why not have 3 pixels, one bare, one with dimming shade on it and third with even more dimmer. calibrate it so the middle of the 3 is exposed for the shot and then the brights and dims are captured all at once. like all the info of a HDR file but in one shot. then computers can use maths to work out a great movie from that

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Wheany posted:

hey, how is 3d image saved on blu-ray?

i imagine the normal image data is either left or the right eye and then there is some extra track that maybe encodes the differences between the main picture and the other eye?

is there any software that can display (and change back and forth between) the other eye image for any given frame of a movie?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Blu-ray_3D

According to this, it's just multiplexed Left and Right eye as 2 discrete video streams. I find it funny that they make a 3D blu-ray version seperate from the main movie since it claims it's done in such a way that an older blu-ray player should be able to play left eye only encodes.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

why can't digital sensors be better than film yet?

just for the sake of argument, lets say our sensor is black and white, just records intensity. maybe it can handle 10 stops? why not have 3 pixels, one bare, one with dimming shade on it and third with even more dimmer. calibrate it so the middle of the 3 is exposed for the shot and then the brights and dims are captured all at once. like all the info of a HDR file but in one shot. then computers can use maths to work out a great movie from that

RED does this already.

http://www.red.com/faqs/hdrx/overview

Some people prefer film because you don't have to do anything to it to get the analog goodness of random grain, and slightly different colors/skintones. It's not about better, it's about artistic preference.

pagancow fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 12, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Blu-ray_3D

According to this, it's just multiplexed Left and Right eye as 2 discrete video streams. I find it funny that they make a 3D blu-ray version seperate from the main movie since it claims it's done in such a way that an older blu-ray player should be able to play left eye only encodes.

lisa "left-eye" encodez

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Install Gentoo posted:

lisa "left-eye" encodez

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

so i just tried to play a level 4.1 avc compliant .mp4 file on a late 2008 macbook pro and it kept dropping out when the bitrate spiked over 50mbps.

loooooooooooooooooooool windows 7 doesn't have this problem.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

so i just tried to play a level 4.1 avc compliant .mp4 file on a late 2008 macbook pro and it kept dropping out when the bitrate spiked over 50mbps.

is this because microsoft licensed a better built in decoder or what

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

This is because the GPUs inside older PCs can actually handle avc 4.1 video totally in hardware while the ones in the MBPs can't

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

who am i kidding, microsoft actually tests stuff to the spec instead of saying "yep our 5mbps itunes videos work"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its probably a driver thing

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

who am i kidding, microsoft actually tests stuff to the spec instead of saying "yep our 5mbps itunes videos work"

well yeah, some of their business actually depends on it

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apple: We're designed for the creatives

*doesnt do poo poo with poo poo re: video*

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

2008 was 5 years ago though
HD-DVD was still around in 2008

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

pagancow posted:

This is because the GPUs inside older PCs can actually handle avc 4.1 video totally in hardware while the ones in the MBPs can't

the gpu itself probably can but apple was lazy as poo poo for a longass time and only supported hardware acceleration of h.264 video on very certain gpus and only in quicktimeX

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

death of osx prediction station

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pagancow posted:

i thought level 4.1 meant 50 megabits per second was the upper limit?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

~Coxy posted:

the gpu itself probably can but apple was lazy as poo poo for a longass time and only supported hardware acceleration of h.264 video on very certain gpus and only in quicktimeX

Just had a go at playing a 5.2 mbit 1080p h.264 .mp4 file in quicktimeX and something called "VTDecoderXPSService" was using 23-28% of a core, so hardware acceleration is definitely not working on System 10.8.2 with a NVidia GTX580.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I played that same AVC 4.1 file on a mac pro Xeon 2.66 quad core and it said it was using 154% cpu.

mac os. goes past 100.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
thats not osx specific. all linuxes do it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The funny thing too is when the file started skipping, the CPU usage DROPPED as if it was just like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x0tQeOXmtk

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Linux isn't good at things like cpu scheduling.

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

what OS is good for those sorts of things?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
windows is the best

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001
lol windows has a terrible scheduler

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

polpotpi posted:

what OS is good for those sorts of things?

iOS is surprisingly good at video playback considering how terrible Quicktime and OS X is.

Honestly dedicated video playback hardware is better because you cant screw it up.

Turnkey solutions

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

JumpinJackFlash posted:

lol windows has a terrible scheduler

than Linux must be beyond terrible! (it is)

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

pagancow posted:

iOS is surprisingly good at video playback considering how terrible Quicktime and OS X is.

Honestly dedicated video playback hardware is better because you cant screw it up.

Turnkey solutions

whats the 30 hz psf mean

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
can we talk about webp? because it seems webp is pretty ownage. it supports lossless and lossy compression, with alpha, and animation. and it seems to do each better than jpeg, png and gif. and google might be able to use their high browser market share to actually give the format some chance of making it.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Wheany posted:

can we talk about webp? because it seems webp is pretty ownage. it supports lossless and lossy compression, with alpha, and animation. and it seems to do each better than jpeg, png and gif. and google might be able to use their high browser market share to actually give the format some chance of making it.

20% share isnt enough to push adoption

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Install Gentoo posted:

20% share isnt enough to push adoption

they already push them to chrome in their own services and if they do it in a non-retarded way (which is asking a lot of web "developers"), they use the Accept: header instead of User-Agent to detect who to push webp to

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

PsF is Partial Segmented Frame.

HD-SDI was only designed for 29.976fps interlaced broadcast systems at first. PsF is a metadata flag to say to the hardware "I'm progressive material"

Even if the device on the other end doesn't support PsF you will still be able to see something as it shoves it over 29.976 fps interlaced frames.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_segmented_frame

Wikipedia says Progressive, but i'm pretty sure its Partial.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I love dis thread

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

I love dis thread

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
oh hay a video thread i make display hardware this is pretty neat

good thread

there is a lot of poo poo in here i have to deal with to max sperg level at work

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Wheany posted:

the best they could do with it right now is to convince mozilla to bake webp support into firefox, and considering firefox has supported webm since like day one I'm kind of surprised this hasn't happened yet

hopefully the reason isn't because mozilla is hoping for animated png to catch on instead, because it won't

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
animated png is the correct solution.

webp is never going to take off because gif, jpeg, and png already exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

kwinkles posted:

oh hay a video thread i make display hardware this is pretty neat

good thread

there is a lot of poo poo in here i have to deal with to max sperg level at work

please tell me you do color space conversions correctly if you have to display one source at a different color space.

this irks me about cheap DVD players/TVs

• Locked thread