Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

Am I imagining it or have they changed a lot of the script in P4G? There's a lot more conversation choices than I remember since I last played P4. I know Chie's and Teddie's voice actors changed so is it to do with that or did they just take the opportunity to tighten everything up?

I don't know if they added much in the way of conversation choices, if you disregard what was added with the new content. Some of the script has been reworded slightly and sound better now. One thing I found odd though was that they removed a line from the culture festival event with Kou, where he comments on having to play in Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet. Specifically, they changed "Dude! They all die!" to just "Dude!". Kind of removed the whole point of his reaction. Maybe they're worried about spoiling Shakespeare for someone :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Hello fellow goons! I am an high school student and I recently moved to the town of Inaba to live for a year with my Uncle. I must ask you a thing however. The first night I was there I went to sleep and I found myself in a limo. A man told me that I should sign a "contract" in order to master some powers to solve a murder case, but what the hell? Powers? Tied to my destiny?

I think it's a fishy thing because I don't remember I have entered the limo on my own accord, so I suspect the big nosed man drugged me and kidnapped me. Also, I don't want to sign that contract, because it was written in legalese with some parts in small print and other part in zalgoscript. I don't want to finish my days doing three jobs because I only bought an encyclopedia from Pinocchio. Did anyone else from the Inaba area have the same experience? Should I tell my uncle, who is the chief detective of the Inaba Police Department?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Gas Station attendants never wash their loving hands. You can't greet one without feeling sick five minutes later.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

limaCAT posted:

Hello fellow goons! I am an high school student and I recently moved to the town of Inaba to live for a year with my Uncle. I must ask you a thing however. The first night I was there I went to sleep and I found myself in a limo. A man told me that I should sign a "contract" in order to master some powers to solve a murder case, but what the hell? Powers? Tied to my destiny?

I think it's a fishy thing because I don't remember I have entered the limo on my own accord, so I suspect the big nosed man drugged me and kidnapped me. Also, I don't want to sign that contract, because it was written in legalese with some parts in small print and other part in zalgoscript. I don't want to finish my days doing three jobs because I only bought an encyclopedia from Pinocchio. Did anyone else from the Inaba area have the same experience? Should I tell my uncle, who is the chief detective of the Inaba Police Department?

I wouldn't worry about it. If half of what your saying is true, this would be a textbook case of coercion - so there's no way that contract will have any effect.

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

limaCAT posted:

I think you're just gonna have to set your penis on fire, man.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

limaCAT posted:

Just be prepared to reach out to the truth if you choose to pursue this contract any further.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

limaCAT posted:

The good news is there's no way that sort of contract language will hold up in court. Just remember stranger danger!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

limaCAT posted:

He's probably just trying to fix you up with his bratty niece or some bullshit, stay away.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

limaCAT posted:

Hello fellow goons!

You should immediately go to the hospital and have filthy dirty sex with the hot nurse there.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

limaCAT posted:

You're probably just tired from the long trip. It'd be best if you went to bed early today.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I just assumed it was too weird and embarassing.

But then after Yu and his buddies start having strange adventures together, it might have been a good idea to brief them on the strange powers his dreams were conferring.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
It was just a dream, you should invest in a teddie bear.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
Wow, I've been waiting for this for a long time and in first two days playing I raked up 7 hours. P4 is my favorite game and this seems to be really good. I don't like Chie's new voice actor though. I get the feeling they tried to make her character even more geeky, cause that's what she sounds to me, but there's no need for that. They should've let her had her Trial of the Dragons and other kung fu movies, her old voice was just fine with the rest of her character.

I have to say I really like how Atlus has written its story and characters in P3 and P4. They avoid almost all JRPG pitfalls and cliches (I guess heroic teenagers is unavoidable). It's kind of sad though that their solid writing slips in some of the Social Links. Each character is written well during the main story arc but seems to have a gimmick and is thus more one-dimensional in S. Links. P3 and 4 spoilers: Take Kanji for example. I liked his theme about his sexuality, though it was disappointing how Atlus kind of dropped it, but his Social Link was basically "tough dude embarrassed by his soft side (love for knitting)". The worst offender though is Mitsuru, because with her stengths, complexes and background she had perhaps the most potential, but her Link is "rich girl doesn't know how the proletariat dines". On the other hand, the most well written and nyanced character is Yukari and she has no gimmick. I think there's a correlation.

Anyway, these are great games. :)

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Welp, just finished the game for the first time, saw the good and true endings. 100 hours well spent :swoon: time to become one of those peeps who recommend P4 to everyone! Is the anime any good? I have the urge to visit Inaba in the near future again.

Edit: And does the story continue in P4: Mayonaka Arena?

Tamagod Sushi fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Mar 13, 2013

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Rurik posted:

I have to say I really like how Atlus has written its story and characters in P3 and P4. They avoid almost all JRPG pitfalls and cliches (I guess heroic teenagers is unavoidable). It's kind of sad though that their solid writing slips in some of the Social Links. Each character is written well during the main story arc but seems to have a gimmick and is thus more one-dimensional in S. Links.
Anyway, these are great games. :)

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the party social links are a bit of a mixed bag. I like Yosuke coming to terms with his selfishness, and Rise resolving her identity crisis, but all the others are pretty meh.

A Japanese culture-related question for anyone knowledgeable: when Rise mentions going to the beach for 'pinup shots' and that her measurements are publicly available, are we meant to think that's a bit creepy, given that she's 15-16? Or is that standard for ~*IDOLS*~ and therefore entirely normal to the original audience?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gato posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks the party social links are a bit of a mixed bag. I like Yosuke coming to terms with his selfishness, and Rise resolving her identity crisis, but all the others are pretty meh.

A Japanese culture-related question for anyone knowledgeable: when Rise mentions going to the beach for 'pinup shots' and that her measurements are publicly available, are we meant to think that's a bit creepy, given that she's 15-16? Or is that standard for ~*IDOLS*~ and therefore entirely normal to the original audience?

There were pinup shots of a prominent 12 year old model

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
Japanese idols basically don't have human rights. Whether or not it's creepy is kind of a subjective thing, but it's by no means strange or unusual.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Technically P4Arena takes place in-between the True End and the P4G epilogue. Yosuke alludes to it with something like "things sure got crazy back in May".

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Reposting this because what the gently caress you guys.

Fightest
Nov 4, 2009

Great Sage
Equal of Heaven

Tamagod Sushi posted:

It most certainly does. While it serves as a bridging point to what most are speculating is going to be resolved in Persona 5, it is still a very solid set of stories, and the main conflict in it is resolved within the game.

kimpira
Jul 11, 2012

Fightest posted:

It most certainly does. While it serves as a bridging point to what most are speculating is going to be resolved in Persona 5, it is still a very solid set of stories, and the main conflict in it is resolved within the game.

I was surprised how well P4A worked as an extension of Persona 4. The concept sounded stupid at first, since you're supposed to be good friends with most of the people you're fighting. But the fact that they're your friends is figured into the plot, as is the genre shift from RPG to fighting game. I liked it despite not being into the genre, but apparently it's been well-received even by people who like fighting games too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I despise fighting games (and P4A's engine is no different), but I still enjoyed the heck out of P4A because it's a pretty solid Persona story.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Gato posted:

The whole cult around Idols is like if you took Western infatuation with female celebrities, actresses and singers, added a dash of :swoon:MY WAIFU:swoon: and then cranked it to 11. It's creepy as gently caress.

Edit: Though when you think about it a 16 or however old she is, Idol isn't really that out of place when you consider how other characters are trying to come to terms with their sexuality and gender.

Shoehead fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 13, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Shoehead posted:

The whole cult around Idols is like if you took Western infatuation with female celebrities, actresses and singers, added a dash of :swoon:MY WAIFU:swoon: and then cranked it to 11. It's creepy as gently caress.

Yeah, reading that thread in GBS about that idol a while back kinda changed my feelings on Rise quite a bit. Before, it felt dumb for some famous person to complain about being famous, but after learning how the whole Japanese idol thing works...yeah. It makes a hell of a lot more sense now. That poo poo it weird and creepy, even for Japan.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So where does everyone think the next persona is going to take place? I mean we have now had the city, schools and even "the sticks" a fair few times, so where else could it be placed? I mean obviously its not bioshock so its not going to be an underwater fantasy cave, but anyone else think they might go for protagonists other than high schoolers?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Unless Atlus is feeling REALLY ballsy, there's absolutely zero chance that Persona 5 will be about things other than high school kids.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
In Japan, high schoolers are the only ones with enough free time to save the world.

I thought Catherine was a fun game with an adult protagonist, but the difference between school life and working life is so huge that what you can do with the games turn out completely differently. I don't think "kawaii high school girls!!" is the only reason the high school setting is used so much (though it certainly helps).

AG3 fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Mar 13, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
What about a college campus?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Nate RFB posted:

What about a college campus?

I think this would be pretty awesome honestly. Letting the characters have more responsibility and be more adult would definitely freshen things up.

But Japan's youth worship and obsession with High School in general probably means we'd never see something like this.

Rurik
Mar 5, 2010

Thief
Warrior
Gladiator
Grand Prince
I dunno, 30-somethings with their own problems and office jobs could make a pretty killer story and setting. It would just have to be done right. I don't think the amount of free time is a hard limit with TV worlds and other stuff that can be made up.

Social Linka between adults could be really cool. And think about romances, those could actually mean something.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
And it's not like they didn't already try their hand at writing stuff for adults (See Catherine I guess?) so I don't think it'd be too strange.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Didn't Catherine get a lot of negative press attention for being a bit creepy, from what I remember? I mean not in the good P3 sort of way. I'd like to see university done myself, but I am wondering if they would ever consider setting a game outside of Japan? I mean that would be one hell of a game changer if they did.

Also the themes for the new game, I asked this in the LP thread but since the guys here seem to be different from the ones there I think it should be okay to ask again, we've now had "truth" and "death" so what do you think the theme will be next? Acceptance, change, fate? Or something a bit weirder?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I would like to see the "delinquent" Persona game. gently caress going to school, gently caress being a good student, get into fights with gangs of kids and try to buy cheap beer and steal hair dye for your mowhawk.

And then summon demons.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Josef bugman posted:

I'd like to see university done myself, but I am wondering if they would ever consider setting a game outside of Japan? I mean that would be one hell of a game changer if they did.

It would sure be one hell of a strange journey.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since Elizabeth gets a fool arcana at the end of P4A, I think it'd be cool if Persona 5 has some new normal dude making friends while saving the world, but the female route is Elizabeth desperately trying to fit into human society while saving the world. Also, seconding the University idea.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"
I've been wanting a university setting for a while now, it'd be a nice slight change of pace. And it's not like the Persona series itself hasn't tried an all-adult cast, as every party member in Eternal Punishment is an adult, which adds a nice mature-er theme. Having a work-place as opposed to a university could also work, but the university settings sounds a little cooler. Also, I wouldn't mind having adults as the protagonist since I'm a little sick of the "always-happy" tone P4 had. I know they're kids, but they should have been able to grasp that what was going on was awful a lot more than they did. That bit were a bunch of teenagers had to decide whether to murder a man was great, and I would have like the story better if it were more about kids growing up and having to face tough situations like this while trying to live normal lives, as opposed to a joyful romp in a fantasy world where they almost treat saving people from dying as a fun pastime. That's not to say they never took what they were doing seriously, since they do get serious whenever they encounter someone's shadow, but usually before and after, everyone's joyful as hell. I think having to actually make adult decisions and think about things like an adult would have fit the theme of growing up and changing a lot more.

I know I bitch about P4 a lot -- I love it, I really do -- but it just felt a little out of focus and a bit all over the place for me. Persona 3 blew me away. It wasn't perfect by any means, but it felt like it accomplished its goal, and it felt all-in-all well put together. Persona 4, on the other hand, just had this weird feeling for me. Something about it always felt off. Maybe being a little sick of seeing yellow all over Atlus and such has colored my opinion on it, who knows?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Can't we just be glad Atlus was able to attempt something different? Because frankly I loathe the version of Persona 4 you are proposing and am certain I would dislike it as much as I disliked P3. As it is now there's something for everyone with either game.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I really enjoyed both P3 and P4, and am glad they were so drastically different in tone. It speaks to Atlus being willing to mix up what they do, even while the major mechanics remain incredibly similar.

...Or just completely change the mechanics, as they did with Persona 3.

Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Nate RFB posted:

Can't we just be glad Atlus was able to attempt something different? Because frankly I loathe the version of Persona 4 you are proposing and am certain I would dislike it as much as I disliked P3. As it is now there's something for everyone with either game.
Of course. I'm happy they did something different, it just happened not to stick to me. I'm not trying to have the "be-all-end-all" opinion here, those were just my thoughts on the game, and if you disagree, more power to you.

Snix fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Snix posted:

... I'm a little sick of the "always-happy" tone P4 had.

You should consider looking into other MegaTen games, then. P4's "always happy" tone was an exception, not the norm. The rest of the MegaTen franchise is pretty drat bleak.

• Locked thread