Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Midorka posted:

Edit: Also, I hate that putting 5 gallons into a bucket/carboy means that I'm only going to end up with 4.5 gallons. THANKS YEAST.

hellfaucet posted:

Makes me even more :smith: when I add 2-3oz of dry hops onto that 4.5 and come out with even less! THANKS HOPS.

:smith::smith: when I realize that most of the stuff in my beer is just going to get pissed away in a couple hours and what remains will largely be filtered out anyhow. THANKS LIVER, KIDNEYS, AND THE REST.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bad Munki posted:

:smith::smith: when I realize that most of the stuff in my beer is just going to get pissed away in a couple hours and what remains will largely be filtered out anyhow. THANKS LIVER, KIDNEYS, AND THE REST.

Take that one step further and think about all that money you are literally pissing away!

Wait, no, don't do that.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

hellfaucet posted:

Makes me even more :smith: when I add 2-3oz of dry hops onto that 4.5 and come out with even less! THANKS HOPS.

I'm only dry hopping an ounce and I'm already worried about the amount of volume lost. I wish I could just do 10 gallon batches.

Edit: I'm mostly worried about this because I'm brewing for a record day event. I told the guy I'd get ~120 bottles. He said 150 people would be there but it was okay. I just hope I can at least get 120 bottles out of 2 5.5 gallon batches with 1 ounce dry hopped each. I'm using about 5 ounces of hops total for what it's worth.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Mar 13, 2013

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

The last batch I dry-hopped I kind of just said "gently caress-it" and really sucked the poo poo out of the liquid at the bottom with all the hops. Definitely clouded my beer, but I got more than I would have if I left that poo poo at the bottom like I normally do. Most of the particles were sucked up the first few pints from the keg anyhow.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Sirotan posted:

Take that one step further and think about all that money you are literally pissing away!

Wait, no, don't do that.

Well, if you think about the money you save in not buying commercial beer, and how much better homebrew is anyway, then you... Wait:

5 Gal HLT: $70
8 Gal Brew Kettle: $150
10 Gal Igloo Beverage Dispenser Mash Tun w/ False bottom and ball valve: $100
High BTU burner: $40
Kegging setup: $150
5 cu ft Keezer w/ temp controller: $300
Bits, bobs, odds, ends (propane, siphons, carboys, etc): ~$100

So that's ~$900 initial for a quality setup. 5 gallons of beer have you looking at about $15 a batch, versus ~$80 of 5 gallons of equivalent beer. So I start saving on beer after about 15 batches, or 75 gallons. To do a 4 gallon batch of cider, my raw ingredients are ~$25. The same 4 gallons of Woodchuck cider would be ~$70. This means I actually start saving money after about 20 batches of cider, or 80 gallons.

Basically, if you drink a lot, making your own is very frugal. That is, until you start buying more extravagant stuff, but who does that? :guinness:

(if you are doing this to save money, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons)

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
I'll just never upgrade any of my gear and I'll save money eventually :downs:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

internet celebrity posted:

I'll just never upgrade any of my gear and I'll save money eventually :downs:

I have found the perfect emoticon for this thread:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

RagingBoner posted:

(if you are doing this to save money, then you are doing it for the wrong reasons)

Oh I never said making your own beer was all about about saving money, it's just that I not too infrequently think about all the money I'm literally pissing away while I'm drinking whatever rare/expensive/tasty beer I've grabbed from my beer fridge. I should probably get into collecting art instead...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Sirotan posted:

I should probably get into collecting art instead...

Trust me, the beer tastes better.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Take a swab and grow a petri dish sample of the faucet head all your clean water's coming from.

God, I wish I could find it again, but some guy on Reddit (I think) who worked in a lab took samples of all these different types of water and charted bacteria growth for each one and distilled water and water straight from his tap were remarkably similar.

I tried my hardest to find it, but I just can't track it down.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Sirotan posted:

Oh I never said making your own beer was all about about saving money, it's just that I not too infrequently think about all the money I'm literally pissing away while I'm drinking whatever rare/expensive/tasty beer I've grabbed from my beer fridge. I should probably get into collecting art instead...

I was just doing the math to make myself feel better about my hobby.

I also forgot to factor in how nice it is to entertain friends with your hobby, as opposed to being a guy who does model trains or collects junk. My hobby'll get you hosed up! WOOO!!! SPRING BREAK!!!

This is the best my crappy animation program can do with that .gif:

Think I might buy it, or pay someone in SA Mart to clean it up so I can upload it.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

RagingBoner posted:

This is the best my crappy animation program can do with that .gif:

Think I might buy it, or pay someone in SA Mart to clean it up so I can upload it.

25px max height, I think?

Eh...

e: take 2, cropped

ChickenArise fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Mar 13, 2013

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RagingBoner posted:

I am OK with admitting I am into brewing because its a way to spend money and spending money just feels good.

Tap water sanitation can be all over the place even between different faucets in your house. The water is generally nuked with enough disinfectants to do a spiral around the city, sit in a pipe a week, and then still kill junk in your house pipes where the builder accidentally hooked up the city water to the toilet drain.

If you can drink your water its generally OK. By the time yeast and bacteria can get through you will generally already be making GBS threads giardia like a poop fountain.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

ChickenArise posted:

25px max height, I think?

Eh...

e: take 2, cropped

That is perfect, except it is 2kb too big, is there any way you can clip a few frames from the middle to cut the size to below 10kb?

Edit: Does this look good?

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Mar 13, 2013

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!
I dunno, I feel like this hobby is one of the less spendy. Cars, for instance is way more expensive. Hell, even quilting costs more than this; my mother's sewing machine was somewhere in the $600+ dollar range, and she had to be 'talked down' from buying a 12' Long Arm machine (which are $10,000+). My grandmother-in-law collects stamps and makes cards, I'd guess she's spent more than the GDP of some small African nations.

Speaking of spending loads of money on hobbies. If you on the fence about getting a Thermapen - just get one. I thought people were joking when they said they use theirs all the time. I know the perfect temp of coffee that I like, perfectly cook chicken, sausages, just anything protein based, check on muffins, know the exact serving temp of my beer, pretty much any and everything. It's a fantastic piece of equipment.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Midorka posted:

Edit: I'm mostly worried about this because I'm brewing for a record day event. I told the guy I'd get ~120 bottles. He said 150 people would be there but it was okay. I just hope I can at least get 120 bottles out of 2 5.5 gallon batches with 1 ounce dry hopped each. I'm using about 5 ounces of hops total for what it's worth.

11 gallons with no loss gets you 117 twelve ounce bottles, so you're gonna come up short no matter what. This is why I do 6 gallon batches, throw 5.25 gallons into the fermentor with little to no trub and you end up with a full 5 gallons or a little more when you go to package.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

fullroundaction posted:

My favorite fearmongering is when people claim that Brett is not only impossible to kill once it's touched your equipment, but it will infect literally every other beer in your house forever.

These same people don't worry about cross contamination with the million other yeast strains they deal with though :psyduck:

Quoting this from a bit back, but I didn't see anyone mention is that the reason a brett infection can be noticeable compared to other yeast types is that they can eat sugars that regular sacc yeast can't, so unless your beer is exceptionally high ABV, brett can take hold eventually.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Josh Wow posted:

11 gallons with no loss gets you 117 twelve ounce bottles, so you're gonna come up short no matter what. This is why I do 6 gallon batches, throw 5.25 gallons into the fermentor with little to no trub and you end up with a full 5 gallons or a little more when you go to package.

I somehow wound up with 5.75 gallons in the fermenter. I guess I used too much sparge water! I planned for 5.5 gallon batch but I am not going to complain. I think it's funny though that I bought a grain mill because I was pissed at low efficiency from my LHBS. My first batch ended up 65% efficiency, guess I didn't crush the grain fine enough! I guess I'll have a 65 IBU ~6% IPA and a 47 ibu ~6% pale ale. I hope that the grain crush I have gives 75%-80% efficiency for the pale ale. I suppose that I could top off the pale ale with a little bit of water to dilute the ABV down a little, but oh well. I'll just call the IPA a pale ale this time.

As for the bottles, oh well. If I end up short then it's no big deal. He shouldn't have given me 5 weeks to brew and have everything bottled.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 13, 2013

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

RagingBoner posted:

That is perfect, except it is 2kb too big, is there any way you can clip a few frames from the middle to cut the size to below 10kb?

Edit: Does this look good?

Now I can see his thumb being cut off by the crop. I can play with it more when I get home.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

RagingBoner posted:

I have a few thousand bucks in hardware and such, I would guess (don't make me add it all up, the reality is probably far worse than I realize). But I've also been at it for 20 years, so it kind of feels like that's been pretty well amortized out.

But I agree with Jacobey000 - this is way cheaper than cars, or guitars, or shooting, or any of a million other hobbies. Hell, it's way cheaper than my other hobby, high-power rocketry, where expenditures can be measured in hundreds of dollars per second of burn time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I still have several thousand dollars worth of Warhammer upstairs, so compared to other hobbies this is cheap as hell.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I still have several thousand dollars worth of Warhammer upstairs, so compared to other hobbies this is cheap as hell.

Oh poo poo... yeah I've been hauling around my first edition AD&D books for like 20 years now... Beer > AD&D

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I overemphasize sanitation just because it would be lovely to have a ruined batch. I'm talking anal enough that I have a spray bottle of Everclear.

Also, I had to pay a lot of extra money (like 9 bucks) for a stir bar (because Home Brew Mart is a ripoff for everything) and of course, the stir bar didn't even work. I guess the stirplate I have can't spin it for whatever reason because the 1 inch bars just get thrown every time and there was a huge mess of krausen all over my countertop. Le sigh.

As for the expense discussion, if someone asked me how to make beer, I could explain how to do it for cheap, expensive and most places in-between. It depends how deep in the rabbit hole you want to go. You could feasibly start doing 2-3 gallon BIAB batches for under 50 bucks invested including the ingredients.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Take a swab and grow a petri dish sample of the faucet head all your clean water's coming from.

I top off with tap water all the time, been brewing for 3+ years, over 40 batches, never had an infection. So, anecdotal, yes, but I personally think invoking the 'people are too anal about sanitation' rule might apply here.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

As for the expense discussion, if someone asked me how to make beer, I could explain how to do it for cheap, expensive and most places in-between. It depends how deep in the rabbit hole you want to go. You could feasibly start doing 2-3 gallon BIAB batches for under 50 bucks invested including the ingredients.

Yeah man, I had a buddy right before Xmas tell me he was interested in brewing and I sold him on the basic bucket kit from Midwest Supplies and invited him over to my place to see what my setup looked like at the time. He got the kit for Xmas and is totally happy with the basic package. Good for him, not everyone winds up sperging out on the nerdy details.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The guy said the same thing about his tap water, so I guess it's not a big deal. Personally I use those 5 gallon cooler jugs from BJs. They're cheap and double as an emergency source of potable water.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

hellfaucet posted:

Good for him, not everyone winds up sperging out on the nerdy details.

Spergy details are half the loving fun of brewing. The other half is getting absolutely shitrocked whilst brewing.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

ChickenArise posted:

Now I can see his thumb being cut off by the crop. I can play with it more when I get home.

Ok, 9.9kb, 42x25. (I'll shave off a few more bytes and edit it in here if I need to since it's >10k bytes technically)

In homebrew news, I am once again wishing that I'd been able to not drink nearly 5 gallons of my IPA while super fresh. I don't know exactly what happened, but it has gone from being massively fruit-forward (hi, I love galaxy hops) to tasting like some of my favorite DIPAs with less alcohol. It's also finally gone totally clear and I know it'll run dry any day now.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Spergy details are half the loving fun of brewing. The other half is getting absolutely shitrocked whilst brewing.

I'm not disputing that, it's all I think about anymore. Just saying that some dudes are content with doing 5gal extract batches in buckets forever. Not me.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
When I built my brewing setup I decided on 15 gallon pots because "maybe I'd want to make a 10 gallon batch now and again". I'm so glad I did because after a few 4.5 gallon results I thought it was a better time investment to make larger batches. Then I found that 5.5 gallon batches tended to have a lot of blowoff so I decided to start doing 8 gallon batches in 2 fermenters, which required a larger fermenting space, which I decided should have room for 4 fermenters. /throws money up in the air

The cost savings was the thing that pushed me over the edge in getting started. $14 for a 6 pack of rogue? That does it! I'm starting my own brewery. With hookers! And Blackjack!

Crunkjuice
Apr 4, 2007

That could've gotten in my eye!
*launches teargas at unarmed protestors*

I THINK OAKLAND PD'S USE OF EXCESSIVE FORCE WAS JUSTIFIED!

For the new guy, someone tell me what all this is?

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Crunkjuice posted:

For the new guy, someone tell me what all this is?
It is a Saccharomyces Sampo! My electric brewery. On the left is the control panel. A 30A 240V power cord comes in, there are 3 digital controllers for controlling water heater elements installed in the pots. There's also switches for a couple pumps and a whole light of blinkenlights for no real purpose. Temperature probes in thermowells in all the pots relay the temperature back to the control panel for display and control.

The left pot is a hot liquor tank. I heat up 15 gallons of water here to be my strike and sparge water. Also inside of it is a stainless steel coil for a heat exchanger.

The middle pot is the mash tun with a false bottom to hold the grain and let the liquid through. Put your heated strike water and grain in, then recirculate through the coil in the first pot to keep it at your mash temperature or mash step temperatures. The continuous recirculating also vorlaufs the sweet wort, which clarifies it during the starch conversion.

Once that's done it gets pumped and sparged to the right pot for the boil, where you add the hops. The little white box below this pot is a flow meter for measuring sparge rates and counting the volume for the boil.

When that's done, I add ice packets and water to the first pot, and pump the boiled wort through the heat exchanger to take it back to temperature to pitch the yeast. 10 minutes of cleanup and you've got beer! Takes about 11-14KWh of electricity.

More pictures in the Picasa Album.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Ha, being a poor student brewing has more than already paid for itself (in about two batches) and then some. Half priced beer, gently caress yeah (and using extract as well). I could probably get it down a bit further by going all grain and buying more things in bulk/growing hops/reusing yeast more, but at the moment I'm pretty happy with the price point. If I had money to blow I might get some kegs or extra fermenters, but that would be about it. But setups like Capnbry's do look like fun...

Also, has anyone had any experience with the bucket in bucket mashtun method, especially in terms of sealants/fitting a tap/what types of tap to use? I know that the esky method seems the standard way to do it, but I don't really feel like potentially ruining a decent $50 esky.

Nanpa fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Mar 14, 2013

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Nanpa posted:

Also, has anyone had any experience with the bucket in bucket mashtun method, especially in terms of sealants/fitting a tap/what types of tap to use? I know that the esky method seems the standard way to do it, but I don't really feel like potentially ruining a decent $50 esky.

There's a guy in our club that does the two bucket mashtun that makes good beer, but he's been doing it that way for 10 years or so. Nowadays I don't see any reason to do that over brew in a bag, especially when it's cheaper to do BIAB.

With that being said I think a cooler mashtun is the best thing for a non-heated mashtun. Your efficiency will be lower with BIAB than a cooler, so if you spend an extra $3-5 in grain per batch with BIAB the cooler pays for itself pretty quickly. As for messing the cooler up it's pretty impossible, you just take out the drain plug and install whatever valve and filtration setup you go with, you don't actually modify the cooler in a non-reversible way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
With a 5-8 gallon boil kettle, the paint strainers with the elastic band work very well for BIAB and are dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPG5R6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first strainer bag is holding up well after 5 batches with it and carried 10 pounds of grain without complaint.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

Agreed! Except once I get shitrocked I screw up all the spergy details and end up 2 gallons short on volume or forgetting to add hops or some poo poo :saddowns:

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???
I first did BIAB because it seemed an easy route to all-grain and at that point I was looking to spend my available hobby money on kegs and a chest freezer. A year later, I'm still "B'ingIAB" because the results I'm getting are more than satisfactory to myself and others who, trust me, wouldn't hesitate to tell me if it were lovely beer.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
BIAB is just a really convenient form of direct fire mashing if your kettles big enough and you have a decent way of sparging the bag.

Spergy details end up just being annoying. Let it roll and let the brew god and/or several iterations settle it out.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jo3sh posted:

If you can make a hamburger that won't kill anyone, you can make good beer.
This is how I make hamburgers, and I haven't had an infected batch yet.

Josh Wow posted:

Your efficiency will be lower with BIAB than a cooler, so if you spend an extra $3-5 in grain per batch with BIAB the cooler pays for itself pretty quickly.
My last 3 or 4 batches have been BIAB and even with not knowing what the hell I'm doing and using the standard LHBS crush size I've been getting over 70% efficiency. As I get better and can be bothered to do a double crush at the LHBS (I don't have my own mill, yet) I bet I can get it near to or even over 80%.

zedprime posted:

BIAB is just a really convenient form of direct fire mashing if your kettles big enough and you have a decent way of sparging the bag.
You don't necessarily need to sparge the bag, although some people like to dunk sparge (it's exactly what it sounds like) or (what you're probably talking about) hang the bag up and pour an extra gallon of top-up water through the grain (if I were to sparge this is what I would do).

baquerd posted:

With a 5-8 gallon boil kettle, the paint strainers with the elastic band work very well for BIAB and are dirt cheap.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BPG5R6/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
This is what I use (although I get it for $1.99 locally) inside the full-length frying basket that came with my fryer set up. The basket and its handle make it easy to pull the whole thing out when I'm done and hang it from my homemade camping tripod (I was surprised it could handle that much weight, I guess I did a better job building it than I thought).

nmfree fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Mar 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
Say hello to the : homebrew : smilie!

:homebrew:

RagingBoner fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Mar 14, 2013