Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Wait, Fem Shep doesn't get the casual leather jacket? That sucks that they get less casual wear (also the dress is pretty bad). :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

PunkBoy posted:

Wait, Fem Shep doesn't get the casual leather jacket? That sucks that they get less casual wear (also the dress is pretty bad). :mad:

Which reminds me, I got Ashley back in my squad, decided to take her on a mission and went to see what alternate outfits she had. Why the hell is one of her alternate outfits a mini-skirt? :negative:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

PunkBoy posted:

I don't think they get less, they just get the dress instead, which, as noted, sucks.

Jerusalem posted:

Which reminds me, I got Ashley back in my squad, decided to take her on a mission and went to see what alternate outfits she had. Why the hell is one of her alternate outfits a mini-skirt? :negative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGQCwlNXqPk

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Some questions about power combos. Does a detonated warp still cause the damage taken increase debuff if evolved for it, or does detonating it with throw or whatever end the debuff? What if warp itself is the detonator? What about evolutions that cause increased combo damage, like Warp's, does that require Warp to be the detonator?

(Hell, same questions for every other detonatable power with a debuff!)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Mar 12, 2013

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well that's just downright depressing, that is.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Not sure about the debuff effects, but I know the DoT effect of multiplayer Dark Channel persists after its detonated. It anecdotally appears that the debuff effect remains after the detonation, but I've only used Warp as a primer. Evolutions that improve combo damage apply regardless of which power was the primer and detonator, and if you have two powers that have that effect, both apply. Warp priming gets +50, and throw detonating gets +50, and both apply, though I'm not sure whether its additively to 100% of the final damage, +100% of the base damage before the levels of the abilities used are included, or some strange Bioware-ism, but both definitely apply.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Is there any point to not having Dr. Chakwas and the reporter lady on the ship? I wanna do a full renegade playthrough, so my instinct is to always go with the bottom option but one seems to be clearly better than the other here.

90% of the time, the dialog breaks down to "top = paragon, bottom = rengade," but every now and then they switch it up on you and make it so that "top = yes, bottom = no". If it looks like that's what's happening, and you really want to yes to the thing being offered, just go ahead, you don't need to hit the bottom option every time (especially in ME3, where you gain reputation just the same even if you don't pick renegade every single time).

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people
Just finished. Got to say I had no problem with the ending. Maybe Walking Dead changed my idea of how endings in player choice games are supposed to work. That said, I stared at the crucible for quite a while try to decide what to do.

Also Kaidan loves me forever.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
With or without extended cut?

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Batham posted:

With or without extended cut?

With, I had no other option, it's just part of the game now

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I just make up stories about what the characters do after the ending. Kaidan is now the captain of the Normandy, Javik stays on the ship and helps Kaidan because fighting is all he knows, Garrus is depressed so he disappears and becomes a vigilante that protects remote planets from opportunistic pirates, Geth and Krogan are now on the Council who by the way is temporarily based on Earth, Joker and EDI have little cyborgs, James thorugh a wacky set of circunstances hooks up with Jack etc.

I think my Renegade BroShep might have the best post-ME3 story. Recovering quickly thanks to the Cerberus implants, Shepard is about to marry Ashley when suddenly a new Krogan Rebellion erupts led by Wreave who found out about the fake cure and is now without Eve to control him. The krogans have a clear advantage with the galaxy still recovering, but Shepard managed to have a final one-on-one showdown with a vengeful Wreave. They are equally matched, but the tide is turned when a loyal and smarter-than-most-krogan Grunt helps Shepard. Grunt is then crowned as the new krogan leader.

This isn't the spoiler thread, so I guess I'll have to hide these because they might give away the ending.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The George Lucas train of thought is enough for me.

Mr.Flibble
Jul 23, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

So is Kai Leng deliberately supposed to be one of those annoying guys who talks about how great he is, you kick his rear end then he gets to "win" in a cutscene and continue to goad you for sucking so you want to kill him for the sheer satisfaction of not having to deal with his plot armor anymore, or was he genuinely supposed to be a super-badass ninja that is just too drat "cool and awesome" for Shepard to handle?

Yeah, you can probably tell that I just completed Priority: Thessia :argh:

Did you take take Javik with you?, if you didn't do it again with him or at least watch a youtube of it, it will be well worth your time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr.Flibble posted:

Did you take take Javik with you?, if you didn't do it again with him or at least watch a youtube of it, it will be well worth your time.

I did yeah, and he was fantastic.

Liara: I think... I think it thinks you're Prothean, and here are my reasons for why :words:
Javik: Or maybe it's reacting to the ACTUAL Prothean standing right here :rolleyes:

I do love how much of an rear end in a top hat Javik is, and how everybody gets so excited to meet him at first and inevitably ends up hating him - though the moment on the Citadel where Shepard can convince him to make an inspiring speech is pretty great. As is his,"I'll tell you what you want to hear," bit to Liara and Shepard after Thessia is over.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I've got my final, ideal Shepard that I've been saving for the eventual final ME3 DLC. It's now time to take her through. This could be my last ever playthrough. Do I:

1) Play through the whole thing in sequence and be glum about the ending,
2) Play through the whole thing and quit out before STAR CHILD,
3) Play through the whole thing except for Citadel then go back after the ending and play Citadel, to leave on what sounds like a high note? Happier times?

Tremors
Aug 16, 2006

What happened to the legendary Chris Redfield, huh? What happened to you?!

Etheldreda posted:

I've got my final, ideal Shepard that I've been saving for the eventual final ME3 DLC. It's now time to take her through. This could be my last ever playthrough. Do I:

1) Play through the whole thing in sequence and be glum about the ending,
2) Play through the whole thing and quit out before STAR CHILD,
3) Play through the whole thing except for Citadel then go back after the ending and play Citadel, to leave on what sounds like a high note? Happier times?

Option 3.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm going to play it sequentially since I'm one of those dastardly ending-likers, but if you didn't like the ending and are definitely not going to suddenly start liking the ending between now and finishing Mass Effect 3, I recommend option 3. Citadel was made with the fact that it's the last bit of Mass Effect 3 DLC in mind, and the ending of it hits all the notes that entails.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

So I just finished the game, and finally I can stop hiding from all those spoiler bars :)

I had a read up on what the endings were like before the Extended Cut and hoooo-boy I can see why people were so pissed off. I initially went with the "lesser" ending (Control the Reapers/Shepard "dies"/the Earth is saved) and then reloaded and tried out the so-called perfect ending (kill the Reapers, save Earth, Shepard lives) and I far preferred the former. Though it was neat in the latter to see Shepard was still alive I think the cost was way too high, killing the Geth and EDI really rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't try the middle option (or the fourth gently caress ALL Y'ALL! option) because it seemed like too huge a decision for Shepard to make on behalf of EVERYBODY. I think the "lesser" ending with Shepard dying, but his memories living on as the new Catalyst and directing the Reapers to help the organic and synthetic life in the universe rebuild is a really great way to end the trilogy, and it's the way things are going to have been for MY Shepard.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of a more in-depth look at what happened to the Squad, as well as the absence of some of the other races in the big battle at the end - I had kind of hoped that each of those war assets would get a moment to shine in a cutscene or at least a brief bit of audio, but aside from a few token gestures there was nothing, I'd have loved to have seen the Krogan riding dinosaurs in battle, Hanar and Drell infantry forces, Elcor with giant guns strapped to their backs etc. All in all though, the trilogy has been an absolute pleasure to play through from start to finish over the last six years. I love the universe and I love the games, but I do have to wonder how (or if) I can deal with a non-Shepard game, I really got invested in my grumpy, scarred up, ugly old bastard and his crew of space-bros :unsmith:

Following on from what others have said, I'll definitely pick up Citadel at some point in the future and make that my last Shepard experience, it sounds like a nice, fun way to say goodbye to the character.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

So I just finished the game, and finally I can stop hiding from all those spoiler bars :)

I had a read up on what the endings were like before the Extended Cut and hoooo-boy I can see why people were so pissed off. I initially went with the "lesser" ending (Control the Reapers/Shepard "dies"/the Earth is saved) and then reloaded and tried out the so-called perfect ending (kill the Reapers, save Earth, Shepard lives) and I far preferred the former. Though it was neat in the latter to see Shepard was still alive I think the cost was way too high, killing the Geth and EDI really rubbed me the wrong way and I didn't try the middle option (or the fourth gently caress ALL Y'ALL! option) because it seemed like too huge a decision for Shepard to make on behalf of EVERYBODY. I think the "lesser" ending with Shepard dying, but his memories living on as the new Catalyst and directing the Reapers to help the organic and synthetic life in the universe rebuild is a really great way to end the trilogy, and it's the way things are going to have been for MY Shepard.

I was a little disappointed in the lack of a more in-depth look at what happened to the Squad, as well as the absence of some of the other races in the big battle at the end - I had kind of hoped that each of those war assets would get a moment to shine in a cutscene or at least a brief bit of audio, but aside from a few token gestures there was nothing, I'd have loved to have seen the Krogan riding dinosaurs in battle, Hanar and Drell infantry forces, Elcor with giant guns strapped to their backs etc. All in all though, the trilogy has been an absolute pleasure to play through from start to finish over the last six years. I love the universe and I love the games, but I do have to wonder how (or if) I can deal with a non-Shepard game, I really got invested in my grumpy, scarred up, ugly old bastard and his crew of space-bros :unsmith:

Following on from what others have said, I'll definitely pick up Citadel at some point in the future and make that my last Shepard experience, it sounds like a nice, fun way to say goodbye to the character.
You will not regret Citadel. As someone who has played through each game several times and am getting to the point where it's getting harder to do, I can say Citadel was so good it made me start over from game one for another trip. After this I see the ME Trilogy as an annual event and hopefully something I can watch my children get into.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I'm about to take my Dudeshep into ME2, but I have some kind of problem that I encountered on a previous character where the game repeatedly crashes on Illium when moving through the corridor beneath Liara's office. Apparently this has something to do with Lair of the Shadow Broker. Is there a fix for this crash other than reinstalling the game without LotSB, and then installing it after I'm done with Illium? Because that would be such a pain.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

Dr Snofeld posted:

I'm about to take my Dudeshep into ME2, but I have some kind of problem that I encountered on a previous character where the game repeatedly crashes on Illium when moving through the corridor beneath Liara's office. Apparently this has something to do with Lair of the Shadow Broker. Is there a fix for this crash other than reinstalling the game without LotSB, and then installing it after I'm done with Illium? Because that would be such a pain.

Try "window mode"; worked for me.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Luminous Obscurity posted:

he's also the person who thought "my soldier had a vision of the apocolypse" was admissible in space court.

Hahah.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

That trial is so amazing.

The vision isn't even relevant to what they're accusing Saren of. No wonder Udina ends up the way he does.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Can I just confirm; I can do the missions in Leviathan and Omega at my leisure?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Leviathan you can, with Omega you go to Omega and are locked there until you complete the content.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.
I finished Citadel last night and it's an amazing piece of DLC. From the self-referential humour ("Do I sound like that?") to the character interactions, everything was perfect.

I also encountered a disturbing and hilarious bug. After the photo op scene, everybody remained frozen in place, bar Liara who I could have the romance scene with. Only a reload kicked the game into the next scene, which included a magical disappearing Liara (leaving Shepard being all suave with a pillow) and Traynor clipping through other character models.

Glitches aside, I loved every last second and I'm just going to pretend that's exactly how the series ends!

(Hope this isn't too spoilery, as far as I know this is all stuff that was in the trailers)

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
You'd think after 30 playthroughs it'd get old, but man, the intro sequence to ME2 still gives me the warm fuzzies :3: Oh yeah, Marissa Shepard battles on! (With Warp Ammo as bonus talent) Edit: Rolling into a new ME2 run immediately after the :dance:-ending to ME1 makes the warm fuzzies especially warm and fuzzy.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Man, playing some multiplayer between my first and second playthrough payed off handsomely. I remember the fight in the atrium during the grissom academy mission was a nightmare for me during my first playthrough, second time through I did it on my first try without much issue.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yeah, MP did the same to me.

"Heh, an atlas?" :smug:

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

omg chael crash posted:

Yeah, MP did the same to me.

"Heh, an atlas?" :smug:

Makes the combat simulator in Citadel hilarious.

"Round start...

Kill streak two-three-four-f-si-sev-eig-MAXIMUM KILL STREAK

Round goes to Shepard"

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Biggest human being Ever posted:

Man, playing some multiplayer between my first and second playthrough payed off handsomely. I remember the fight in the atrium during the grissom academy mission was a nightmare for me during my first playthrough, second time through I did it on my first try without much issue.

For me, the atrium is still a pain, just not the meat grinder that it was the first time through. MP doesn't let enemies get quite as entrenched as this. On the other hand, SP doesn't let four brutes and three banshees spawn at the same time.

ElProducto
Oct 9, 2001
if you want to live low, live low
Just played through the series a second time, this time with Leviathan and the new ending. I may just be someone who gets sucked into fiction too much and might just be a sucker (I like the Matrix sequels), but I really love every game. I never got tired of playing all six god drat times, and really enjoyed how it all ended. I understand that I'm in a minority but that's okay.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ElProducto posted:

Just played through the series a second time, this time with Leviathan and the new ending. I may just be someone who gets sucked into fiction too much and might just be a sucker (I like the Matrix sequels), but I really love every game. I never got tired of playing all six god drat times, and really enjoyed how it all ended. I understand that I'm in a minority but that's okay.

I really enjoyed all three games too, including ME3 which I felt was just as good as ME2 right up to the end. Even the endings (I only ever played the extended cut) weren't all that bad, just somewhat of a letdown after I enjoyed everything else leading up to them so much.

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009
I'm playing through ME1 for the first time now, how important is armor? I'm only a bit into the game (just got Liara) and I've been sticking with the default Onyx set since I think it looks best, with plans to upgrade to a heavy set of it if I find one. I'm only on Normal, but will I need to min/max my equipment, or is it like ME2/3 where I can basically wear whatever I want?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On higher difficulties, you might want to get armor that has healing, but I forgot how important that really was. Other than that, just use whatever has the highest numbers (HK armor tended to be the best)

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Biotic amps only really start showing up at higher levels. Quarian armour was the really hard thing to find, and the Bring Down the Sky DLC adds in the best suit in the game for Tali as one of the rewards.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
There's a really good suit mod for healing. Medical exo skeleton VIII or something. Dr. Michel on the Citadel sells it, it's expensive, but I always get it and use it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I haven't played enough to reach high levels in a while, I couldn't remember if there was a way to get healing without using the pink armor suits.

Batham
Jun 19, 2010

Cluster bombing from B-52s is very, very accurate. The bombs are guaranteed to always hit the ground.
Just get heavy armor with the highest damage reduction you can find and put some damage reduction mods in it.

Once you find some colossus armor (it's bright red/black), it's basically game over for the bad guys.

Just keep in mind that as a soldier you want Damage Reduction, not shields.

Batham fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Mar 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
drat, didn't realise shooting the starchild gives you the forth ending

• Locked thread