Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Akileese posted:

That's what I was assuming. With MGS, it looks like another general Miiverse forum since there's no title indicated.

OH! Sorry! I misread you there, yeah, I'm hoping its more general forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why would they have a general forum for a game series that almost never appears on Nintendo consoles? And even when it does only in remake form years later (Metal Gear, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 3), with one non canon creator disavowed original game (Snake's Revenge) like 25 years ago.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Has anyone else played Arkham City for Wii U yet?

I hadn't played this or Asylum before, but it's a ton of fun, and the Wii U's gimmickry figures into the game pretty well. It's pretty easy so far, but I'm assuming this is part of the learning curve.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

fivegears4reverse posted:

I want you to be right, only because the internet rage would be amazing to witness. I recall some fits of rage when FF13 was announced for the 360, can you imagine the results from FF7's remake going to a non-Sony platform?

The fact that it's on a non-Sony system along with the fact that no matter what the game will be hated by all would be amazing.

If it's the same exact game but with better graphics: "What the gently caress, Square! It's been like 15 years I want poo poo to be different!"

If it's different in any way: "What the gently caress, Square! This isnt the FF7 I remember now this is just modern casualized bullshit! FF7 was perfect as it was!"

In either case, the people who havent played it before but due to its reputation revere it: "What the gently caress, Square! This game isnt literally giving me blowjobs like the past 10 years of fanboy hype has led me to believe!"

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Red posted:

I hadn't played this or Asylum before, but it's a ton of fun, and the Wii U's gimmickry figures into the game pretty well. It's pretty easy so far, but I'm assuming this is part of the learning curve.

Combat gets pretty difficult later on. I didn't enjoy the City as much as I enjoyed exploring the Asylum, but goodness Batman: AC's combat is pitch perfect. You actually feel like you're Batman.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Red posted:

I played it on ps3. It does get harder when enemies show up that can only be defeated a certain way, or cannot be countered so you have to dodge. Then of course they mix and match all those baddies.

How's the gadget 'gimmickry' because I thought the weapon controls in combat were poo poo on ps3 and never used anything but my mitts. Too much

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Red posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it. Still pick it up now and then to get some more Riddler trophies (there are way more than in the first game) and I still need to play Harley's Revenge.

Speaking of which, I've been wondering: once you start Harley's Revenge, can you still go back and get more Riddler trophies? Or is it completely self-contained? Do you need to use a different save file?

Bombadilillo posted:

How's the gadget 'gimmickry' because I thought the weapon controls in combat were poo poo on ps3 and never used anything but my mitts. Too much
I found the map to be the most useful element of the gamepad, particularly when you were outdoors and able to mark custom waypoints and such. The ambient radio chatter and phone conversations coming right through the gamepad speaker also added to the immersion IMO. Gamepad menu navigation worked well, and of course off-TV play is a huge plus (although you're definitely missing out by shrinking such a pretty game down... I find myself using it a lot in the post-game though).

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Mar 13, 2013

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Minidust posted:

Speaking of which, I've been wondering: once you start Harley's Revenge, can you still go back and get more Riddler trophies? Or is it completely self-contained? Do you need to use a different save file?

It's completely self-contained, at least on the PC version.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Policenaut posted:

OH! Sorry! I misread you there, yeah, I'm hoping its more general forums.

Nope you didn't. I assumed Soul Hackers was also a placeholder for when the Miiverse went live on the 3DS. Either that, or they're making a cross play version of Soul Hackers!

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I wonder if the Square Enix announcement will be Tomb Raider.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Minidust posted:

Yeah, I had a lot of fun with it. Still pick it up now and then to get some more Riddler trophies (there are way more than in in the first game) and I still need to play Harley's Revenge.

I'm only up to going into the church to find Harley and Joker, so I couldn't tell you about the extras yet.

Bombadilillo posted:

I played it on ps3. It does get harder when enemies show up that can only be defeated a certain way, or cannot be countered so you have to dodge. Then of course they mix and match all those baddies.

The gadget gimmickry involves using the Wii U pad as being like your forearm-mounted Bat-computer. Usually, hints and information from Alfred come from the pad, while you play - so that feels realistic. If you don't feel like hearing from Alfred, just turn down the volume on the pad.

The new armor for the Wii U version involves using kinetic energy, which I don't totally understand (in that why it's even a thing), but it's fine - it adds an optional graphical and gameplay element.

Then things like the evidence finder are used sort of like how you use the pad to look around Nintendo Land's park. You have to stand up, and move the pad around to find bullet holes, for example. It's a little silly, but makes the experience fairly unique. Plus, you don't do it enough to make it annoying.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I'm looking forward to resident evils, myself.

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world

blackguy32 posted:

I wonder if the Square Enix announcement will be Tomb Raider.

It's more likely that it's Deus Ex Human Revolution port

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Batman Arkham City is the only game I've played through twice in years. It was really surprising too since I got bored of Asylum pretty quickly.

Also, the real games starts on NG+.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The Monarch posted:

Batman Arkham City is the only game I've played through twice in years. It was really surprising too since I got bored of Asylum pretty quickly.

Also, the real games starts on NG+.

What's ng+ got? Also is there any dlc included in the wiiU version? A la goty versions.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

What's ng+ got? Also is there any dlc included in the wiiU version? A la goty versions.

All the dlc is on the Wii U version

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Now that I think about it, didn't that alleged screenshot of the Miiverse developer forum show a listing for a Final Fantasy game? I seem to recall it mentioned a Yoshi game for Wii U and a RE Revelations port, and they both turned out to be real...

The new Flipnote Studio was just announced in Japan's Nintendo Direct (you posted about it in the 3DS thread), and Donkey Kong was recently announced, and there are two Resident Evils on the 3DS along with Metal Gear Solid 3. With FF3 being re-ported lately, having it show up on the 3DS wouldn't be a surprise either.

3DS and mobile devices are supposed to be getting Miiverse as part of the whole Nintendo Network thing. It's quite possibly related to that, and Miiverse will cease to be WiiU-exlusive. The list is probably real but it doesn't distinguish between platform.

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib
The pokemon figures for the wiiu game are going to be highly stylized but damned if I don't want a couple. My prediction is that they're going to sell like crazy, even if the game is terrible (looks like they'll be sold much cheaper than skylanders figures).

I've never played the rumble/scramble series, is it any good?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Lego City Undercover review embargo is apparently up so they're starting to hit and are all over the place.

Eurogamer (9/10)
Edge (5/10)

The basic difference seems to be whether the reviewer thinks the Lego game framework works without a licence to tie things together.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

njsykora posted:

The Lego City Undercover review embargo is apparently up so they're starting to hit and are all over the place.

Eurogamer (9/10)
Edge (5/10)

The basic difference seems to be whether the reviewer thinks the Lego game framework works without a licence to tie things together.

These both showed up earlier in the thread, so I'm not sure about any flood of reviews due to the embargo lifting. However, one person noted that Edge gives real reviews so 5 means "average" and not "Duke Nukem Forever."

e: Actually DNF is a 50 on Metacritic, so my analogy is completely wrong. But point is: 5 is okay from Edge, not utter poo poo like on most review outlets.

e2: Edge's main complaints seem to be that they didn't like the jokes, the driving physics and there were mild annoyances of graphical pop-in and poo poo. They also cite that it's for kids and not original since GTA already exists. So, nothing unexpected there, I reckon.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Mar 14, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Every review I've seen mentions long load times and graphical issues, which is kinda irritating. It doesn't seem like a particularly system-intensive game.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Mar 14, 2013

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Soul Glo posted:

These both showed up earlier in the thread, so I'm not sure about any flood of reviews due to the embargo lifting. However, one person noted that Edge gives real reviews so 5 means "average" and not "Duke Nukem Forever."

e: Actually DNF is a 50 on Metacritic, so my analogy is completely wrong. But point is: 5 is okay from Edge, not utter poo poo like on most review outlets.

e2: Edge's main complaints seem to be that they didn't like the jokes, the driving physics and there were mild annoyances of graphical pop-in and poo poo. They also cite that it's for kids and not original since GTA already exists. So, nothing unexpected there, I reckon.

I'd say that's far more true for Eurogamer than Edge. For what it's worth, I find Eurogamer to have the most trustworthy reviews of any game site perhaps outside of Polygon.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Yeah I go to Eurogamer first, and if there isn't a review there, then I rely on Edge.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Here are the reviews if anyone feels like reading them:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-03-14-lego-city-undercover-review
http://www.edge-online.com/review/lego-city-undercover-review/

Also apparently from the 17th to the 23rd target is doing buy 2 get 1 free on all games, perfect timing for Wii U to finally get some decent games. Also they are giving a $50 dollar gift card if you purchase a Wii U. ( Saw this info on CAG )

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

When do games go live in the eShop? I plan on buying everything digital and want to get Monster Hunter and don't want to refresh at midnight and keep f5ing it if they don't go live until noon or something silly. The download speeds are also rather poor but I'm going to assume its the wireless. Does the wiiU get good speeds if I buy a USB -> Ethernet adapter? Will it even know how to use it? I'm not having online play issues but getting a game that is even 2GB takes forever.

I really wish I could just pre-load Monster Hunter make it known when I download that I'll have to activate it at a later date before I can play. We are in a digital age and I'm very impressed with the wii U, I've downloaded a few games on the PS3, the selection was pretty terrible for digital, and stuff did not download in the background even if the console told you it did. It seems the WiiU specs have some "game" resources and some "system" resources I'm going to assume the PS3 just has 1 set and if the game uses too much the downloads stop or something stupid.

Really I'm very impressed with how well it handled me downloading 6 things at once (mostly demos). I did not think Nintendo would go from "Internet scary people take advantage of children on there" to Yeah everything worth poo poo is available digitally. I love what this represents and am glad I decided to back the console.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

pixaal posted:

When do games go live in the eShop? I plan on buying everything digital and want to get Monster Hunter and don't want to refresh at midnight and keep f5ing it if they don't go live until noon or something silly.

It's sort of been all over the place from what I can tell. They confirmed Monster Hunter was getting a midnight release in EU and I hope/assume it will be same for the US but you never know. When they do midnight releases, they have been going on eastern time meaning it's available at 9pm pacific time. Lego City is confirmed for a midnight release on the eshop in NA, so I hope they do the same for Monhun.

If it's not available at midnight, Bit Trip Runner 2 and The Cave both released somewhere between 1-2pm eastern time the day of release.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

bpc908 posted:

It's more likely that it's Deus Ex Human Revolution port

It's a shame if it ends up being this, since there surely can't be much of a market for it. What with most of the people that would be potentially interested in it already owning it for a while now or not realy being interested in a Nintendo console anyway.

If SE really wanted some sort of success on the Wii U, they'd be better off porting that Kingdom Hearts remake.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

It took me this long to realize that Game & Wario's title is a pun on the Game & Watch handhelds.

:negative:

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Looks like Lego City got favorable reviews from Kotaku and IGN--both pretty laughable in terms of reliable reviews but for what it's worth, it sounds like it's basically a bigger version of the fun Lego games in the past with some GTA twists.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

pixaal posted:

When do games go live in the eShop? I plan on buying everything digital and want to get Monster Hunter and don't want to refresh at midnight and keep f5ing it if they don't go live until noon or something silly. The download speeds are also rather poor but I'm going to assume its the wireless. Does the wiiU get good speeds if I buy a USB -> Ethernet adapter? Will it even know how to use it? I'm not having online play issues but getting a game that is even 2GB takes forever.

That's just Nintendo's service; unless you have the worst wireless router in the world and have a ton of poo poo between the WiiU/3DS and router I can't see the adapter improving things by much. I have 25~Mbps down and it still takes me over 30 minutes per GB.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
This, games take for-loving-ever to download on my 3DS even when I can pull down 4 MB/s on my computer.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

FPzero posted:

It took me this long to realize that Game & Wario's title is a pun on the Game & Watch handhelds.

:negative:

It's not a very good pun.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
Any good deals on the system out there for someone looking to pick it and Monster Hunter up? The ZombiU set seems to be the best deal so far. $30ish more for the controller and a game on top of the system.

Zagposting fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 14, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Riftling posted:

Any good deals on the system out there for someone looking to pick it and Monster Hunter up?

Target next week has a buy a console, get a $50 gift card, I think.

Someone also said they're doing a Buy 2 Get 1, which is currently taunting and tempting me despite not having a ton of fun money right now.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

Target next week has a buy a console, get a $50 gift card, I think.

Someone also said they're doing a Buy 2 Get 1, which is currently taunting and tempting me despite not having a ton of fun money right now.

Don't see the console deal on their ad. The B2G1F deal is pretty sweet though.

Edit: Nevermind. The $50 GC for a console is next week. I was looking at the week after next week's ad.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Everyone should note that 50$ gift card is likely not something you can use then and there. They will probably mail it to you, like the $20 gift card you could get from BestBuy.

Might be a nice way to finance that one game you are looking to buy, if you can wait on the mail.

vvv cool beans. Just making the point since not everyplace honors the gift card on the spot.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Mar 14, 2013

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Kiggles posted:

Everyone should note that 50$ gift card is likely not something you can use then and there. They will probably mail it to you, like the $20 gift card you could get from BestBuy.

Might be a nice way to finance that one game you are looking to buy, if you can wait on the mail.

I got a WiiU about two weeks ago at Target and they gave me a $25 card on the spot. I couldn't use it for that transaction, but I also didn't really expect to be able to so it wasn't a heartbreaker.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Kiggles posted:

Whenever I've done this sort of promotion at Target it's always been given to me right on the spot. I never had to wait for one in the mail.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
February's NPD numbers are starting to come in.

quote:

All eyes are on Nintendo's Wii U, which saw an incredibly rough January that may have seen sales as low as 57,000. This month, the NPD Group says that sales on a weekly average increased around 40 percent, meaning that monthly sales for the console were in the neighborhood of 64,000.

Its performance, when averaged out by week, is still significantly worse than any performance on record for either the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3.

Sources tell Gamasutra that January's performance was affected negatively by holiday speculators returning systems to stores when they couldn't resell them at a profit. However, it's hard to imagine that this was much of a factor in February, and these figures are alarming for a console only in its fourth month on shelves.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/188567/Wii_U_still_struggles_in_February_sales_charts.php#.UUJjPhysh8E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
NEED MOAR GAMEZ

• Locked thread